Good Time to Buy New Car or Wait?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
curiousinvestor

Good Time to Buy New Car or Wait?

Post by curiousinvestor » Wed May 13, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm seeing a lot of articles saying it's a good time to buy a car. Lots of dealer deals, 0% financing, etc. I was actually thinking of buying a new car for quite some time. I plan to buy a 2020 model. I was planning to buy Nov/Dec as I've read that's typically a best time as dealers want to clear for the new 2021 models. But I wonder if now is better.

I can afford it and feel fortunate that I can. I plan to drive this car for as long as I can. I've had my current car for 17+ years bought new and it has many miles but is recently having more repair costs.

Any opinions if now is good or wait until later this year? I wonder if anyone knows when the best time was during the Great Recession: early in the recession or later? I guess I'm trying to market time car buying.

Thanks!

BH+

Re: Good Time to Buy New Car or Wait?

Post by BH+ » Wed May 13, 2020 11:53 pm

From what I gather, there are good deals on leftover new 2019 models. I am not sure many of the 2020s are being attractively discounted yet. The manufacturers will probably try to manage supply for a little while.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 am

Definitely wait til later in the year. You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:56 am

Just wait. Right now, they’re reducing production, and counting on stimulus checks, but there’s a glut of lease returns coming, so used car prices, even late models are going to fall a lot. With so many people not working or working from home, the need for cars is way down. Not only are people not buying new and used cars, but selling what they have and aren’t using. IMO, the return to normal is going to be slow and take a long time.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 am

curiousinvestor wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:47 pm
I've had my current car for 17+ years bought new and it has many miles but is recently having more repair costs.
One thing I do is I try to replace my cars before they die so that I do not need to replace a car in a hurry. I have had do do that and buying a car in a hurry is NOT the way to get a good deal.

If you could not go a couple of months without this car then you might want to shop around and see what sort of deals you can find. Once you have the numbers you can decide if you want to buy it now or wait for a while.

Most likely you will find that the types of deal that you can find will vary by the brand, model, and where you are at. This is especially true for used cars.

Topic Author
curiousinvestor

Post by curiousinvestor » Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 am

Good thoughts thanks. I suppose waiting is best for me as it's not immediately pressing to have a new car. My old one still works, and I'm not using it as much. Maybe I'll consider a used 2020 later in the year too. Thanks!

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Thu May 14, 2020 2:17 am

look for used as well. I bought a used 1 yr old car with 8K miles on it, still under full warranty for 25% off.

The better deals right now are on used cars.

HotWheels22

Post by HotWheels22 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:27 am

I heard this as well and decided to test out the theory. I contacted several Toyota dealerships online in late April and received internet prices of around 10-12% off MSRP for a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport. These discounts are in line with what I was seeing last year when we purchased a 2019 4Runner. I negotiated with several of these dealers over email/phone and was able to get one dealership down to 19% off MSRP. I must say, though, that it was the easiest negotiation I've ever experienced. We were in a similar situation as you and were planning on buying later this year, so we went ahead and took this deal. From what I've read on Tacoma forums, once you get above 15%+ off MSRP you are in the "stellar deal" range. So, in my limited experience, I'd say that the deals are brand specific, car specific, and dealership specific, and you will still have to do your due diligence to find a great deal. They are still not handing out new cars, but you can probably find a great deal. Another minor consideration is that the manufacturing plants may be closed so if you are in the market for a specific trim level or color, you may not be able to find it later in the year since supply will be reduced.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 am

Here in Texas they are running lots of ads on TV, but the primary theme is "no payments for 90 days, etc.". Shop around, pick a few you like, and just wait. My 2007 preowned (courtesy dealer car with 1400 miles) Lexus ES350 has 127K on it and I still love it.

Faisal

Post by Faisal » Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 am

We got a 2020 outback permium for 0% APR and roughly 5k off MSRP so it can in below 30k with taxes.

So i would say its a good time to buy and if you wait a few weeks it may get better.

JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson » Thu May 14, 2020 9:18 am

barberakb wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:17 am
look for used as well. I bought a used 1 yr old car with 8K miles on it, still under full warranty for 25% off.

25% off MSRP?

Or 25% off negotiated price of a new vehicle?

25% off MSRP wouldn't be impressive on many vehicles given MSRP is inflated and not a true market price

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 am

curiousinvestor wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 am
Good thoughts thanks. I suppose waiting is best for me as it's not immediately pressing to have a new car. My old one still works, and I'm not using it as much. Maybe I'll consider a used 2020 later in the year too. Thanks!
It looks like you're going to wait.
It's really hard to find out where the market is from news articles and personal opinions.
If there's a specific vehicle that works for you, call 5 dealers and ask for their out the door price. I'm sure that you'll take notes.
With that information, you have a feel for where the market is for your specific vehicle. You have the starting point for negotiation if you want, or you can just take the best price.
If they ask when you are buying, say very soon if the price is right....and that would be the truth.
You need a specific vehicle for this to work.
If you do this, maybe come back and let us know how it went?

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am

JoeJohnson wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:18 am
barberakb wrote:

25% off MSRP?

25% off MSRP wouldn't be impressive on many vehicles given MSRP is inflated and not a true market price
25% off negotiated price of a new vehicle. I got it for less than trade in value

fittan

Post by fittan » Thu May 14, 2020 1:37 pm

I am in similar shoe. I was literally about to buy a brand new SUV but decided last minute to keep driving my RAV4.

I would say wait if you can...there really isn't much deal right now besides the 0% financing. It doesn't seems like the dealership are desperate right now. And if you're looking at popular model, there isn't any discount.

My train of thought is to wait....and buy a 3 year old. If you do a search of any used car, you will see a uptick in inventory for 3 year old. I think it is because 1) people ending their lease and 2) people selling because the warranty is about to end. And when supply increases, price will naturally decrease.

Another train of thought is the potential bankruptcy of car rental companies (see link below). The theory is that when it happens, Hertz will fire sale their fleet and a flood of used vehicles will enter the used car market. In short, if you can....wait and see.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... thin-weeks

illumination

Post by illumination » Thu May 14, 2020 1:46 pm

I think it depends a lot on the brand.

I don't see Toyota deeply discounting anything, they seem to place a higher premium on maintaining profitability whereas other brands are more about volume. But you'll probably pay less than you would have 6 months ago. I could see someone getting a good deal on a GM/Ford/Chrysler product in the next few months. I think it's probably better to wait.

I have a relative that owns a car dealership and his busiest time is when tax refund checks are issued. Might want to get past the stimulus check phase.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm

It's locked down everywhere. What do you need a new car for? get a used bicycle for $10 from yard sale which can get you anywhere.

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Fri May 15, 2020 12:59 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm
It's locked down everywhere. What do you need a new car for? get a used bicycle for $10 from yard sale which can get you anywhere.
Who needs a new house, or a new shirt, or anything else? Who cares. He wants one and asked opinions on if now is a good time or should he wait and you tell him to get a bike. Very helpful. Im sure you have only ever bought stuff that you actually need like food. Must be an exciting life :confused

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm

barberakb wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:59 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Who needs a new house, or a new shirt, or anything else? Who cares. He wants one and asked opinions on if now is a good time or should he wait and you tell him to get a bike. Very helpful. Im sure you have only ever bought stuff that you actually need like food. Must be an exciting life :confused
People buy new shirts? Who knew?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Individually, there are likely some better deals on certain models out there, but across the board? No, it's not a better time than pre-COVID to buy a used car.

Invoice prices on cars are still the same. While, yes, demand has been down significantly during COVID, production has also been halted as the factories are closed for COVID concerns. So.... what's on the lot and some of the staging lots is all that is out there.

We had another thread on this and the OP was surprised that dealers were unwilling to lose thousands of dollars to make a car sale.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 pm

barberakb wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I'm guessing that was a troll post since his username is "WhiteMaxima". The first, and only, thing that comes to mind for Maxima is the Nissan Maxima.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:17 pm

I have put on ~120 miles in 65 days of "stay at home". That should extend the life of my car (90k miles currently).

I do know the value of my car has dropped further (or farther) than the prices of new cars have dropped.

I did a KBB trade/private party. Not pretty.

Any day is a good day to buy a new car or stay with your current car.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 pm

barberakb wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am
JoeJohnson wrote:
barberakb wrote:

25% off MSRP?

25% off negotiated price of a new vehicle. I got it for less than trade in value
How do you find out the negotiated price of a new vehicle if you're not the purchaser of said new vehicle?

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm
barberakb wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:
People buy new shirts? Who knew?
Perhaps he grows his own food and does not buy.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:38 pm

barberakb wrote:
JoeJohnson wrote:
barberakb wrote:

25% off MSRP?

How do you know what trade in value is? Do you have access to wholesale auction data?

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Having read a lot based of this question in a prior thread, it appears that there can be deals on a lot of cars that were originally slated for rental fleets, and the orders are now cancelled. Brands noted in these articles include Nissan, Kia, Ford, GM, and FCA. The cars with a deal would be ones that would have been in the rental fleet, such as the Nissan Rogue.

Looking at the Enterprise Car Sales website, there are over 2300 Nissans for sale (over a quarter of the 8000 cars for sale), about double any other brand. They also have some deals on certain Toyotas etc, including 128 RAV4s, with 2019s at about $23-25k. The pricing there is pretty realistic. Many of the cars I have been informally following are down about 10% from the prior year model, For example, a 2019 Chrysler 300 is now about 2 thousand less than a similar 2018 last year.

JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson » Fri May 15, 2020 4:51 pm

crossbow wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 pm
barberakb wrote:
JoeJohnson wrote:
barberakb wrote:

25% off MSRP?

How do you find out the negotiated price of a new vehicle if you're not the purchaser of said new vehicle?
You don't know how much the original purchaser paid. That doesn't matter. What we are referring to is buying a similar new vehicle in today's environment.

Swivelguy

Post by Swivelguy » Fri May 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Don't time the market. New cars should be purchased at a time that is appropriate for the individual's need, ability, and willingness to buy a new car. 8-)

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri May 15, 2020 6:11 pm

The answer depends on what car/model you are looking for. I was in the market for a car and recently, I've noticed that dealers stopped communicating with me. Turns out their lots are in short supply as manufacturing as come to a complete halt and barely getting ramped up.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

barberakb

Post by barberakb » Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:38 pm
barberakb wrote:
JoeJohnson wrote:
barberakb wrote:

25% off MSRP?

How do you know what trade in value is? Do you have access to wholesale auction data?
Besides the tons of online info, you take your car to several dealers and see what they will give you to trade it in... Rocket science stuff

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 am

Swivelguy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:53 pm
Don't time the market. New cars should be purchased at a time that is appropriate for the individual's need, ability, and willingness to buy a new car. 8-)
Because as soon as you do, prices will drop. :?

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am

I’d be in the wait a bit camp. Don’t see low interest financing going away anytime soon and manufacturer discounts may well increase if once things open up cars continue to sit on dealer lots.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:17 am

barberakb wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm
Besides the tons of online info, you take your car to several dealers and see what they will give you to trade it in... Rocket science stuff

Ok, because most people don't buy a new or new to them car and immediately shop the trade-in value. If you're relying on "online info" like KBB or NADA guides.... those are all junk. KBB/NADA are okay for ballpark figures, but they're almost always wrong. You'll get laughed at by dealers if you trying to trade and do the whole ".... but my car is worth $XXXXX according to KBB!!!".... whiney dance.

When you trade-in a car, they're going to look at wholesale data, and that's not something that is easy for consumers to look up.

Ultimately, your car is worth what somebody is willing to write a check for.

And yes, this is kind of rocket science stuff on this forum when I've heard from multiple people that, "Buying a car in cash" is one-way to get the best deal. I've read that at least a half-dozen times, and it's absolutely dead wrong. You would think that maybe at "Buy Here, Pay Here", lots that cash might be king, but I think those tend to be even more predatory on the financing side.... so it's even worse advice.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am
I’d be in the wait a bit camp. Don’t see low interest financing going away anytime soon and manufacturer discounts may well increase if once things open up cars continue to sit on dealer lots.
Keep in mind, the inventory sitting on your local dealership is already booked revenue sold by the factory to the dealership. Yes, the incentives help dealers move units, but at the same time, the cars are already technically sold.

Where the best incentives will likely go is to whatever units were made the most prior to COVID, and suddenly, demand has dropped off greater than expected for those units. Many factories have been closed, and thus there is not a build-up of huge inventory with much fewer buyers in these last 8 weeks.
harrychan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:11 pm
The answer depends on what car/model you are looking for. I was in the market for a car and recently, I've noticed that dealers stopped communicating with me. Turns out their lots are in short supply as manufacturing as come to a complete halt and barely getting ramped up.

That's why I made my comment above...

The new car market has almost been in an 8-week holding pattern with existing units since many factories closed.
Last edited by Helo80 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:21 am

Helo80 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am
MikeG62 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 am
Keep in mind, the inventory sitting on your local dealership is already booked revenue sold by the factory to the dealership.
Yup and that has two potential benefits. Very deep dealer discounting to move existing inventory and increased manufacturer discounts otherwise the manufacturers won’t be moving much product to already full dealer lots.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:26 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:21 am
Yup and that has two potential benefits. Very deep dealer discounting to move existing inventory and increased manufacturer discounts otherwise the manufacturers won’t be moving much product to already full dealer lots.

We shall see.... I'm on the side that discounts are not going to be anywhere near what people think they will be unless you're shopping a certain model. Generally speaking, the Toyotas/Hondas/Lexus that BHs tend to gravitate towards are going to be business as usual.

I'm unaware of any maker that has lowered invoice pricing mid-year to adjust for lowered COVID demand. I don't think dealers are going to be willing to lose their shirts as much as some on this forum think they are just to move metal. (Note: there are always outliers for models/colors/options that few people want)

We have this whole thread here:
Car Dealers not really wanting to make a deal
viewtopic.php?t=312110

New car margins are already razor thin.... the sales departments are not going to start losing thousands per transaction just to move metal.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am

fittan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:37 pm
Another train of thought is the potential bankruptcy of car rental companies (see link below). The theory is that when it happens, Hertz will fire sale their fleet and a flood of used vehicles will enter the used car market. In short, if you can....wait and see.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... thin-weeks

A couple of things...

1. I cannot read the article as I've reached my limit, but your comment is sort of suggesting that the article suggests Hertz is going through a Chapter 7 liquidation. IANAL nor do I study Hertz in-depth, but I don't think Hertz is in such dire straights that they're going to begin a forced liquidation of all of their assets.

2. Per this Edmunds article, 40.2 million Used vehicles were sold in 2018 and maybe 41 million in 2019.
https://www.edmunds.com/industry/press/ ... munds.html

3. Per this random article (**IF somebody can find better data, please respond)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/470 ... -holdings/
Hertz has roughly 500,000 vehicles in their fleet.

4. So, if Hertz liquidates, that's roughly 1% of total 2019 Used Car Sales? Plus, it's likely be cars that BHs are less interested in. Though, I did get a Toyota Corolla from Hertz...

5. Yes, I know that COVID-19 has turned the market upside down.... but, I'd say driving less in general and less reliance on cars for the past 8+ weeks has done more damage than a possible Hertz Chapter 11 bankruptcy on used car prices in general.

================================================================

It's one of those things, where I worry if people are reading too much into that news thread that the best deals are yet to come.

EDIT: minor correction on total used car units in 2018/2019.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sat May 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:17 am
barberakb wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Ok, because most people don't buy a new or new to them car and immediately shop the trade-in value. If you're relying on "online info" like KBB or NADA guides.... those are all junk. KBB/NADA are okay for ballpark figures, but they're almost always wrong. You'll get laughed at by dealers if you trying to trade and do the whole ".... but my car is worth $XXXXX according to KBB!!!".... whiney dance.

When you trade-in a car, they're going to look at wholesale data, and that's not something that is easy for consumers to look up.

Ultimately, your car is worth what somebody is willing to write a check for.

And yes, this is kind of rocket science stuff on this forum when I've heard from multiple people that, "Buying a car in cash" is one-way to get the best deal. I've read that at least a half-dozen times, and it's absolutely dead wrong. You would think that maybe at "Buy Here, Pay Here", lots that cash might be king, but I think those tend to be even more predatory on the financing side.... so it's even worse advice.
Not that I am interested in a Tesla but their showroom model is so much nicer than dealing with car dealers. Many people would prefer a root canal over stepping onto a dealer lot. GM's Saturn was another attempt to provide a better customer experience. Some dealers are now doing pure online transactions and they deliver to your house.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:24 pm

palanzo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:08 pm
Not that I am interested in a Tesla but their showroom model is so much nicer than dealing with car dealers. Many people would prefer a root canal over stepping onto a dealer lot. GM's Saturn was another attempt to provide a better customer experience. Some dealers are now doing pure online transactions and they deliver to your house.

I think Saturn and Scion were the two "one standard national price" brands.... neither are still around.

Honestly, I have not found dealerships to be terribly difficult to work with, but I go in knowing what I want, what trims I want, and what features I'd like to see. If you don't play games, you generally won't be treated poorly. The previous statement can be a can of worms here, but there are always two sides to every story. Also, some dealerships and their sales philosophy just won't work for your business style and that's when you move on.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Car dealerships during this time have the ability to lever down the inventory. Lower inventory with fewer customers in need approximates a matched market where neither buyer nor seller have an atypical advantage. Dealers lay off staff, manufactures will,lay-off production line workers and fewer cars will come off the assembly line after operations are open.