Turning 30. Living 30s without regrets

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
hammond

Turning 30. Living 30s without regrets

Post by hammond » Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi group,

I am turning 30 soon. When I was 22 and got my first job, I read a ton of what to do in my 20s that seems to have helped me a ton.
Some things that have helped:
- Maxed out my 401k every year. 401k is ~275k
- Travelled as much as I could. Visited 10 countries in Europe.
- Started an HSA and have performed megabackdoor roth (thanks employer) + backdoor. Roth IRA is ~200k
- Spouse and me Started 529. 529 is ~60k.
- Almost paid off our house. ~100k left.

I feel like I have achieved most of my financial goals in my 20s. The last 2 years have been a lot of frugal living. Partly self created and partly brought about due to birth of our first kid (which for example made it impossible to travel and go out to eat) and partly the covid situation.

I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder in my megacorp. I want to get to a principal engineer designation which very few people get to in my megacorp. For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?

I have also tried to smell the roses a bit by often taking staycation breaks and learning to play an instrument to relax and spend time with my kid.
Last edited by hammond on Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: Turning 30. Living 30s without regrets

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue May 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Sounds like you should spend more money.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 pm

hammond wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 pm
Spouse and me

birth of our first kid

career (notice I deleted ladder)
These are the only things of true substance you mentioned in your post.

Focus on those far and away above all else, especially those first two mentioned.

Get a hobby or two [outside of those subjects (spouse, child, career) mentioned] to spend a small amount of time and money on. Big props on the instrument - guitar player here. Used to play sax/clarinet "professionally" as a teenager.

Note all monetary items, all travel (which I appreciate and value even) etc. were deleted. None of that truly matters.

Giving should have been mentioned in your post. Both money and time.

Enjoy!
Last edited by gr7070 on Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kidshrink

Post by kidshrink » Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Search for the threads about Boglehead regrets on their deathbeds. A lot of replies come down to spending more quality time with people vs checking off bucket lists.

Learning to be happy with what you have

Reading parenting books to set your kid on the best path (not financially because I’m sure you’ll be set). I recommend 123 Magic

And saving for the rainy day or Q4 lay-off. Keep your options open. Don’t get divorced.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm

hammond wrote:
Hi group,

I am turning 30 soon. When I was 22 and got my first job, I read a ton of what to do in my 20s that seems to have helped me a ton.
- Started an HSA and have performed megabackdoor roth (thanks employer) + backdoor. Roth IRA is ~200k

I feel like I have achieved most of my financial goals in my 20s. The last 2 years have been a lot of frugal living. Partly self created and partly brought about due to birth of our first kid (which for example made it impossible to travel and go out to eat) and partly the covid situation.

I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder and my megacorp. For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?

I have also tried to smell the roses a bit by often taking staycation breaks and learning to play an instrument to relax and spend time with my kid.
Congratulations on what you have accomplished to date.

I completely agree with HEDGEHUNDIE!

My main advice would be to make sure you are enjoying the journey, not just focused on the destination.

We had a net worth of approximately $0 when we were 30, but boy the memories. (Retired a couple years ago at age 51).
Our kids would be quite shocked to hear that traveling or going out was not possible because of them!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:56 pm

If you and your family are happy with your life, continue as-is. If you're not, make changes.

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue May 12, 2020 11:07 pm

hmmm. Good thread.
From someone in their early 40s, prioritize kid/family over career. Keep travelling with the kids.
Don't let career take over too much. A lot of times this leads to other issues like disgruntled spouse/family etc.

Really look at your career path/ladder. Who do you envy at work? Why? Is it cos of their level or the enjoyment they get from work?
Would you like your managers job?
Buy Low, Sell High

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 12, 2020 11:32 pm

hammond wrote:
For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?
I am retired now but your spouse, kids, and health are the biggies that people have regrets about if something goes wrong with those. Spend plenty of time reading and learning how to make those work better, you don't already know it all.

If all goes well you will still have good times with them when your kid is a teenager or older but it will be different then. When they are younger a lot of their lives revolve around their parents but later on they will be busy with their own friends and activities. The years before they are about 12 are limited and valuable so use them well.

Be sure to keep a group of friends. As you get busy with work and family there is a tendency to not replace old friends with new ones when the old ones move away or you drift apart. Guys sometimes have a harder time with this.

Buy a safe car.

Also take the time to take really good care of your teeth.
Last edited by Watty on Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 pm

Don't expect to live without *any* regrets. Some are bound to creep in somewhere along the way. Be loving and forgiving.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 am

Pay less attention to chasing the bucks and pay more attention to the family. I get the distinct impression that income concerns are on the tip of your tongue at the end of each of these sentences. I don’t believe income is a problem for you.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex

aj44

Post by aj44 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 am

Don’t be afraid to leave your megacorp, I changed companies and tripled my income from 30 to 39. I wouldn’t have come close to that staying.

I turn 40 in a few months and like you have been thinking about goals for the next decade, during it I’ve also thought about when I set goals for my 30’s ten years ago at 29.

I nailed the financial goals and completely missed the family ones. My best advice there is to always have backup plans for even what you think can’t change, it helped me a lot.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 am

It's about the journey, not the destination.

As to specifics:
I want to get to a principal engineer designation
Don't know how it is at your company, but usually principal engineer is someone who follows the pure technical / individual contributor track to essentially as far as it goes. This is fine but often leaves you hyper-specialized in a very narrow technical field, with not as many transferable skills. Unless the thing you are hyper-specialized in happens to be the hot thing of the moment (i.e. AI/ML, cybersecurity right now, but can't be predicted for the future), this can inhibit career moves. Often, it is better to get to senior/lead engineer, and then go the technical project management route, if you can.
At current interest rates, it may be better to let the mortgage linger and instead invest the money. But that's a minor optimization either way.
For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?
Focus on your health. Make sure you take the time to eat healthy, exercise, get enough sleep, and don't allow yourself to be subjected to prolonged periods of stress. In your 20s, it is easy to push through with bad food, not enough sleep, no exercise and still feel alright while getting ahead in your career. In your 30s, this is no longer the case, and not taking care of yourself will have lifelong consequences.

Tourne

Post by Tourne » Wed May 13, 2020 2:45 am

Don't forget about physical health. The demands of a young family and a career, plus a slowing metabolism, make it easy to put on 15-20 pounds in your 30s. Keep that weight off and it will make it a lot easier to stay/get back into shape in your 40s when you start thinking about your long-term health (ask me how I know :oops: ).

I echo what others have said about spending time with your young family. A lot of guys I know completely missed the first 8-10 years of their kids' lives because they were focused on work. Good financially, bad emotionally.

It is good to have a goal of achieving a certain "title" at your work. But also start to think about what aspects of your job you enjoy the most, what motivates you at work (money? smart colleagues? interesting challenges?), and what type of work do you see more senior people at the company doing that you would really like to do some day? By your mid-to-late 30s you will have accumulated a good amount of experience, and will have to start making some choices about where you want to spend your "prime earning years" in your 40s and 50s. Do you stay at Megacorp and keep climbing the ladder? Do you join a startup? Do you strike out on your own? It is good to have started thinking this through in your early 30s, so that you set yourself up for one of these paths when the time is right.

Good luck!
Plans are nothing; planning is everything - Dwight D. Eisenhower

expatFIRE

Post by expatFIRE » Wed May 13, 2020 3:59 am

I would add a few items:

Exercise regularly. Find a way to make exercise fun and preferably with a group of friends. Hike, run, weight lift, sports, etc.

Get enough sleep. It’s critical to mental and physical health.

Eat well. Your metabolism isn’t going to be operating like you remember it.

Be mindful. Enjoy where you are in life, and be present with your family and personal relationships.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:45 am

expatFIRE wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:59 am
I would add a few items:

Exercise regularly. Find a way to make exercise fun and preferably with a group of friends. Hike, run, weight lift, sports, etc.

Be mindful. Enjoy where you are in life, and be present with your family and personal relationships.
This. And Spouse, Kid(s), Health. Build a community if you haven't already, join a club or a church, take your spouse out on the weekends, visit your parents. Notice how few responses have to do with money and career. They're important but you've already got them under control, make sure you do the other stuff now too.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Wed May 13, 2020 5:57 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:37 pm
Not everyone needs to spend more money to be happy.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:09 am

hammond wrote:
Just keep doing what you're doing and over time put more of your focus on what's really important to you whether that's family, work, or travel. Everyone's different.

My own happiness requirement is that I require a lot of free time, so I intentionally arranged my life so I have about 8 hours of daily unstructured time during the weekdays to do whatever I want. Kids were obviously out, and participating in groups and communities made me miserable, which is different that a lot of other people, so I don't do any of that anymore.

ChicagoWolverine

Post by ChicagoWolverine » Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 am

When I reflect on my 30s (still have a couple more years left), the highlights were getting married (34), kid (36), kid #2 expected(39), MBA completed and fully paid off. We were able to see the world (Australia, New Zealand, Europe) together but also had to willingly be there for some tough circumstances -- e.g. diminishing health of parents. As I exit my 30s I am less concerned about the finances (which I still religiously track monthly for cash flow and net worth growth) but think about the broader goals of being a 'good' spouse, parent, son, and maximizing my potential career wise. Sprinkling in some health goals -- marathon, tri, etc...

Just my perspective on this thing we are all doing called life :)

Go Blue.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed May 13, 2020 6:40 am

Last edited by AerialWombat on Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 am

hammond wrote:
I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder in my megacorp. I want to get to a principal engineer designation which very few people get to in my megacorp.
So let’s say you get to that position....then what?

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 13, 2020 6:56 am

So....your financial picture is that of most other bogleheads on this forum. Money is the easy part. Focus more on your family

windaar

Post by windaar » Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am

hammond wrote:
I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder in my megacorp
I am 60. This is the singular thing that I have seen break up my friends' marriages and lead to misery, alcoholism, and even suicide.
Nobody knows nothing.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed May 13, 2020 7:15 am

Poorman wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:57 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
That is true - but based on the first post I would agree he should likely spend more money.

augryphon

Post by augryphon » Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 am

hammond wrote:
Hi group,

I am currently heavily focused on climbing the career ladder in my mega corp. I want to get to a principal engineer designation which very few people get to in my mega-corp. For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?

I have also tried to smell the roses a bit by often taking stay-cation breaks and learning to play an instrument to relax and spend time with my kid.
You're great at reaching your financial goal, congrats on your success! Now put your finances on autopilot--contributions, asset allocations-- and enjoy your family. The next few years are going to be a whirlwind at home, take it all in.

The mega-corp will certainly let you down, your upward potential will slow or stop, office politics may stymie you, mergers happen, principle engineers designations go away in reorganizations, you get laid off. work hard, keep your skills sharp and make all the connections you can make. The mega-corp is just a job, don't give it your heart or your hope.

I am at the age that I go to a lot of retirement parties and the guest of honor never stands up and talks about how he became principle engineer on schedule or about meeting his financial goals, although he obviously has, he talks about his spouse, his kids, his grand-kids, often about loved ones who have passed, how much they meant to him and the memories they made. so far, I've never heard anyone say "I'll never forget our epic stay-cation in 1988" either. You've seen Europe, show it to your kids! The hardest driving boss I ever had once scheduled a meeting with me specifically to inform me that I was being too cheap on vacation. He told me "you work too hard and you're on the road too much, the least you can do is give your family a vacation they'll never forget!"

Lastly, don't worry about regrets in your 40s, avoid regrets today! Tomorrow may never come, but God has given you today.

ChicagoWolverine

Post by ChicagoWolverine » Wed May 13, 2020 7:59 am

augryphon wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 am
hammond wrote:
Hi group,

I am currently heavily focused on climbing the career ladder in my mega corp. I want to get to a principal engineer designation which very few people get to in my mega-corp. For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?

I have also tried to smell the roses a bit by often taking stay-cation breaks and learning to play an instrument to relax and spend time with my kid.
You're great at reaching your financial goal, congrats on your success! Now put your finances on autopilot--contributions, asset allocations-- and enjoy your family. The next few years are going to be a whirlwind at home, take it all in.

The mega-corp will certainly let you down, your upward potential will slow or stop, office politics may stymie you, mergers happen, principle engineers designations go away in reorganizations, you get laid off. work hard, keep your skills sharp and make all the connections you can make. The mega-corp is just a job, don't give it your heart or your hope.

I am at the age that I go to a lot of retirement parties and the guest of honor never stands up and talks about how he became principle engineer on schedule or about meeting his financial goals, although he obviously has, he talks about his spouse, his kids, his grand-kids, often about loved ones who have passed, how much they meant to him and the memories they made. so far, I've never heard anyone say "I'll never forget our epic stay-cation in 1988" either. You've seen Europe, show it to your kids! The hardest driving boss I ever had once scheduled a meeting with me specifically to inform me that I was being too cheap on vacation. He told me "you work too hard and you're on the road too much, the least you can do is give your family a vacation they'll never forget!"

Lastly, don't worry about regrets in your 40s, avoid regrets today! Tomorrow may never come, but God has given you today.
Wow this is great. I can learn a lot from this. Thanks for sharing. It is priceless wisdom.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed May 13, 2020 8:03 am

Successfully provide for, and protect:
Spouse
Marriage
Family
Health
Spirit
Repeat

Regrets are inevitable and largely unavoidable. Focus present and forward.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 13, 2020 8:20 am

augryphon wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:16 am
+1

The odds that you will retire from that same mega-corp when you are in your 60s are near zero.

If nothing else you may get bored with working on the same thing after 20 years.

If you become the expert with that companies product there is a risk you may have a hard time finding another job at the same level because few or no companies need an expert in that product. 20 years from now that product may be obsolete or be a mature product where little new development is needed.
Christine_NM wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 pm
Don't expect to live without *any* regrets. Some are bound to creep in somewhere along the way. Be loving and forgiving.
+1

It is a bit different than "regrets" but if you don't have an occasional failure then you may not be taking enough risks.

One regret can be that you look back on your life or career and realize that you played things too safe.
Last edited by Watty on Wed May 13, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed May 13, 2020 8:24 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
+1 Other than the retirement balance, you have already achieved more financially than I have in my mid-40s. More than most people will in their entire life.

I did hit director level by 33 however.... but that was mostly luck.. And frankly I decided i didn't like the politics, realized I was not considered VP track by my company so later went back to IC work in spite of slightly lower pay and am much happier.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 13, 2020 8:30 am

AerialWombat wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:40 am
Don’t get divorced.
This. I spent my 30th birthday in court. Divorce made all the hard work, sacrifice, and saving I did in my 20's moot, but at least I got to start again with a clean slate and was young enough to recover.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:36 am

Do things you like doing, especially if you can get some exercise in the process.

Thinking back into my 30's, I started taking high performance driving schools in my 30's, doing only a few days a year to start, then joined a time trial club and started to compete. This later set me up to capture a few track records and become an instructor. This, of course costs money. But I was always able to budget. As an instructor, track time was free, so I was mainly buying tires, brake fluid and gas.

I worked at a company with a lot of people who went out at lunch time and did physical activity. I'd go out with the mountain bikers a few times a week and the triathletes on their road bike days. This led to my own enthusiasm for mountain biking near my home when I changed jobs to a work at home office. I'd take an hour long ride in the middle of the day and 3 hours on a weekend day.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Wed May 13, 2020 10:26 am

Poorman wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:57 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
"Not everyone needs to spend more money to be happy."

Agree. Does next to nothing for me.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 am

Agree with others that you start to prioritize your health (both physical and mental) in your 30s. Also, because you now have a family, you just care more. I was dragged into switching from a night owl to a AM person, stopped smoking and started a regular exercise routine.

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 am

expatFIRE wrote:
I would add a few items:

This is all excellent advice, and usually ignored.

I feel lousy without regular exercise, no matter how well things are going otherwise. This will only become more important as you age.

It turns out sleep is very important to health and well-being. I regret sleeping so little during much of my life because of the demands of call (as a physician). At one point I was working 10 twelve-hour day shifts and 10 twelve-hour night shifts per month. I didn't realize how that schedule was making me feel sick until I left the position. Over the following several weeks I felt like a heavy fog cleared from my head and I gradually gained more energy and vitality. The malaise had been present for so long that I had come to believe that was my baseline.

Get plenty of sleep. Make it a priority. You'll be healthier and more productive.

Regarding diet: Google DASH, MIND, and/or Mediterranean diet and adopt these dietary principles. They are similar. My patients rarely follow this advice, but most of them don't have boglehead traits. Maybe you will do better. :happy

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Wed May 13, 2020 11:06 am

hammond wrote:
Hi group,

I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder in my megacorp. I want to get to a principal engineer designation which very few people get to in my megacorp. For those happy in their early 40, what should one do in their 30s to avoid regrets in their 40s?

Fantastic work! Very impressed. What’s your household income?

Looks like you can relax your budget a little while keeping the foot on the gas nice and steady, keep saving 30%+ of your take home. Don’t burn out! Enjoy life! Put your family first (way more important than your promotion). I’m preaching to myself here too (I'm 30 years old) and have an aggressive FI target working at a megacorp, but we pay ourselves first and then don’t worry about the rest. My kids will only be young once. My health is critical to allow me to be a good dad and husband. Stay well!
VTSAX and chill

vtjon02

Post by vtjon02 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:44 am

hammond wrote:
Hi group,

Sounds like you are crushing it. Keep doing what you are doing financially. With your excellent start, unless you want to retire very early you don't need to increase your savings much at all. So as your income increases you'll be able to spend those increases.

Enjoy your life, your family and keep this in mind. Above all, regrets suck. In many ways I wish I had done some things differently in my life.

I'm about to turn 40. My 20's and 30's were all about being smart. Career, training, savings, accomplishment, and accumulation. Financially and career wise my wife and I are well above the pack. We've amassed millions and are professionally well respected and sought out. We could retire now and live like kings forever. But we didn't have children because we didn't think we could stay on rocket ship pace and be good parents. Now when we see our friends and their families, the money in the investment accounts and our fancy job titles and perks don't mean as much.

My forties are going to be about figuring out what will make us happy and pursuing it. My best advice at any age is to try to avoid regrets.

Congrats on your success.

avenger

Post by avenger » Wed May 13, 2020 11:46 am

gr7070 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 pm
hammond wrote:
Spouse and me

birth of our first kid

Wrong.

Travel to 10 European countries? I’ll say that’s plenty of substance.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed May 13, 2020 11:53 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
The best things in life cost very little money. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll learn to appreciate that the most important things in life aren't bought, sold or traded. Learn to separate work from your own personal life and be richer for it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am

TheNightsToCome wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 am
expatFIRE wrote:
I would add a few items:

This is all excellent advice, and usually ignored.

I feel lousy without regular exercise, no matter how well things are going otherwise. This will only become more important as you age.

It turns out sleep is very important to health and well-being. I regret sleeping so little during much of my life because of the demands of call (as a physician). At one point I was working 10 twelve-hour day shifts and 10 twelve-hour night shifts per month. I didn't realize how that schedule was making me feel sick until I left the position. Over the following several weeks I felt like a heavy fog cleared from my head and I gradually gained more energy and vitality. The malaise had been present for so long that I had come to believe that was my baseline.

Get plenty of sleep. Make it a priority. You'll be healthier and more productive.

Regarding diet: Google DASH, MIND, and/or Mediterranean diet and adopt these dietary principles. They are similar. My patients rarely follow this advice, but most of them don't have boglehead traits. Maybe you will do better. :happy
The diet is good, but only if you do as you say above and that is to get regular exercise. Otherwise, all those extra empty calories from eating fat laden oils and foods will fall from your lips to your midsection/hips and stay there. The reason why the Mediterranean diet worked so well for those in Europe is because they spent 9 hours a day working in the fields, not sitting at a desk. If you are sitting at a desk, you will not be burning nearly as many calories as they did in the fields. Ask me how I know.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm

windaar wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am
hammond wrote:
I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder in my megacorp
I am 60. This is the singular thing that I have seen break up my friends' marriages and lead to misery, alcoholism, and even suicide.
Ive noticed a trend with upper management in the corporate world. A lot of them cheat on their wives. Almost all of them drink heavily due to stress...and their spouses also drink heavily. And due to stress, a lot of them are overweight to the point they are really unhealthy. I only know of one guy who retired, then killed himself shortly after. Mostly alcoholism and obesity. And, almost all the guys in these positions are absentee parents. The wife solely raises them. Before someone gets upset, this doesnt apply to all top tier execs.

Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Wed May 13, 2020 12:07 pm

hammond wrote:
Hi group,

First off, congratulations on your financial progress. You are in a lot better shape than me (and a vast majority of other people) when we were your age. I'm about to turn 40 in a few months. That fact along with me being currently furloughed has given me a chance to look back in retrospective to my 30's. My words of wisdom:
  • Focus on your health. I did not see any mention of your health and physical fitness status. I learned the hard way that diet, sleep, and exercise that I often ignored in my 20's led me to be out of shape, overweight, and low energy by the time I reached my mid 30's. I thankfully got back on track in all those departments but it's better to not slack off on health and fitness. The longer you decline or wait, the harder it will be. Being fit means a better chance of being around longer for your kids and it will actually help you with your work performance since you'll have more energy, confidence, and focus.
  • Don't focus on climbing the corporate ladder. I get you want to increase your role, responsibilities, and pay, but I think that's the wrong mindset. Focus instead in learning as much as you can and on being a great team member and the opportunities will come. Those opportunities might come outside of your current organization, so keep an open mind and be ready to jump ship. A megacorp will shed you if it suited their needs, don't be afraid to do the opposite.
In closing, focus on:

1a. Family
1b. Personal health and fitness
2. Career

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 13, 2020 12:10 pm

hammond wrote:
Hi group,

Almost everyone I know including myself that set career goals missed out on a lot of the simple things in life. I'm turning 50 this year. You're still young so you have no idea how fast years start to fly by. Your kid is only young for a very short period of time, your parents, grandparents, etc will only be around for so long as well. I didn't start getting serious on anything until I turned 29 and started saving aggressively at 37. 35 to 49 where a fast upward climb up that corporate ladder.

My wife and 8th grade daughter have been spending the quarantine stay at home time catching up on scrapbooks. I've been looking at these as they finished and have realized that I wasn't present either physically or mentally for many of these events. I didn't get back to visit my grandparents much in my late 20's and 40's. All four died while I was in my 40's. Not many day's go by that I don't stare at my daughter wondering how she got so old so fast. This stay at home time has been a true blessing for me.

Slow down, enjoy the simple things and realize that the best parts of your life happen every year you are alive not just after retirement. I have regrets and every single one of them deals with choosing to climb the corporate ladder ahead of spending as much time as I could with family.

Take the time to read these two songs. The 2nd one(heard it on XM 80's on 8 as a treasure chest classic in January) actually led me to leave management this year and take a role that would pay decently, require few hours , a shorter commute and give me peace and more time at home.

Cat's in the Cradle
Harry Chapin

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad"
"You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when"
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw, I said, not today
I got a lot to do, he said, that's okay
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed
It said, I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him

"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when"
But we'll get together then

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when"
But we'll get together then, dad

I've long since retired and my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, I'd like to see you if you don't mind
He said, I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when"
But we'll get together then, dad
We're gonna have a good time then

"Watching The Wheels" by John Lennon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXR2LYeFBI

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell that I'm doing Fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball?

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

People asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem
Only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry...
I'm just sitting here doing time

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 13, 2020 12:20 pm

aj44 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 am
Don’t be afraid to leave your megacorp, I changed companies and tripled my income from 30 to 39. I wouldn’t have come close to that staying.

I turn 40 in a few months and like you have been thinking about goals for the next decade, during it I’ve also thought about when I set goals for my 30’s ten years ago at 29.

I nailed the financial goals and completely missed the family ones. My best advice there is to always have backup plans for even what you think can’t change, it helped me a lot.
It's a bit Ironic you are encouraging to not be afraid to leave mega corp to triple his salary. Then your last paragraph says you missed some of your goals by doing so. Would you take the same path again?

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Wed May 13, 2020 12:20 pm

I am retired and 60 yo but I would say at whatever age the following would always apply.

Set a very big dream or dreams of who you want to be. Partially lose your mind and create a new mind that will allow you to achieve your dream and become that person.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 pm

avenger wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:46 am
gr7070 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 pm
hammond wrote:
Spouse and me

birth of our first kid

Wrong.

Travel to 10 European countries? I’ll say that’s plenty of substance.
I think he bucketed that into the spouse and me category.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:53 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
The best things in life cost very little money. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll learn to appreciate that the most important things in life aren't bought, sold or traded. Learn to separate work from your own personal life and be richer for it.
The most valuable thing in life is time, since it is finite.

Money buys time. That makes it the second most valuable thing.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm

vtjon02 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:44 am
hammond wrote:
Hi group,

Sounds like you are crushing it. Keep doing what you are doing financially. With your excellent start, unless you want to retire very early you don't need to increase your savings much at all. So as your income increases you'll be able to spend those increases.

Enjoy your life, your family and keep this in mind. Above all, regrets suck. In many ways I wish I had done some things differently in my life.

I'm about to turn 40. My 20's and 30's were all about being smart. Career, training, savings, accomplishment, and accumulation. Financially and career wise my wife and I are well above the pack. We've amassed millions and are professionally well respected and sought out. We could retire now and live like kings forever. But we didn't have children because we didn't think we could stay on rocket ship pace and be good parents. Now when we see our friends and their families, the money in the investment accounts and our fancy job titles and perks don't mean as much.

My forties are going to be about figuring out what will make us happy and pursuing it. My best advice at any age is to try to avoid regrets.

Don't go through life regretting never being a father. Adopt!

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:37 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm
vtjon02 wrote:
hammond wrote:
Hi group,

Don't go through life regretting never being a father. Adopt!
I couldnt disagree more with this...and this is from someone who has a kid on the way. Everyone is different. Not everyone wants a child in their life...and you know what, more power to them. Absolutely nothing wrong with not having kids.

Am I the only one who always found it strange when someone tells someone else they should be a father? Its so odd to me.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:40 pm

vtjon02 wrote:
hammond wrote:
Hi group,

40 and having a kid is nothing anymore. Im 37 and about to have my first. I know several people in early 50's who just had kids, and they're financially independent. Wife of both people are in early 40's. People having kids in their late teens early 20's doesnt happen as much anymore. People wait longer. Not saying you should have kids but if you think you're too old, you're only fooling yourself.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 13, 2020 12:50 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:53 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
The most valuable thing in life is time, since it is finite.

Money buys time. That makes it the second most valuable thing.
You are both right.

Grt2boutdoors
I'm not sure he is advocating spending a lot of money too have the best things in life. Maybe he is though. One could say that stopping the chase of the money is also a form of "spending". If I give up that promotion and the 20k raise that comes with it to spend more time with my family isn't that costing me $?

Having money does allow one to spend more time with family too. I can hire a lawn service, painter and even retire earlier.

It's finding the right balance that allows one to maximize one without sacrificing the other.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:51 pm

hammond wrote:

I am currently heavily focussed on climbing the career ladder in my megacorp.
I'm not saying this is the right or wrong focus, but if you do want to achieve this, your 30s are the time to do it. I didn't even start putting money into retirement accounts until I was 30 because I *knew* that I was going to make hay when I was in my 30s. The amounts I missed out on were miniscule in the grand scheme of things and I'm glad I paid myself first by living the life I wanted and not missing out on anything because I was "401k poor".

If I regret anything it's being as frugal as I was. I wish wish wish I'd taken more extravagant vacations and not deprived myself of purchases I wanted.