Amex platinum card - $20 streaming and wireless provider credit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bigguy8437

Amex platinum card - $20 streaming and wireless provider credit

Post by bigguy8437 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Does anyone who have the Amex platinum card seen that now since a lot of the travel benefits from platinum are in hold, they are now offering up to $20 a month credits each for streaming and wireless provider services?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/camp ... rd-bwxvzk/

Right now, Verizon offers $5/line discount if you have autopay using a debit card. My family line only has 3 lines, so I’d assume it makes sense to jump to suing Amex since I get an extra $5 month credit?

02nz

Re: Amex platinum card - $20 streaming and wireless provider credit

Post by 02nz » Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 pm

It's not just the Platinum card. The Green card is getting a $10/mo credit for wireless through the end of the year. Amex Hilton Aspire's $250 credit for resorts will apply at restaurants between June and August.

See https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/cnn-unde ... index.html.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Mon May 11, 2020 10:02 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:27 pm
Does anyone who have the Amex platinum card seen that now since a lot of the travel benefits from platinum are in hold, they are now offering up to $20 a month credits each for streaming and wireless provider services?

Right now, Verizon offers $5/line discount if you have autopay using a debit card. My family line only has 3 lines, so I’d assume it makes sense to jump to suing Amex since I get an extra $5 month credit?
Yes it's until 12/31. I switched my T-Mobile auto-pay to my AmEx platinum card, and I subscribed to YouTube premium. Have to remember to cancel 12/31 though!

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Mon May 11, 2020 10:22 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:

I have 4 lines, and I'm pretty sure that the monthly Verizon discount is $10/line for me. We have 2 Amex platinum cards, so I have $40/month credit. But it's a wash since Verizon will take away the $40 discount for autopay by bank draft.

I think my strategy is going to be to make one time payments of $20 with each Amex card on the last day of one month and the first day of the next, so a total of $80 Amex payments but applied to one billing cycle, since the billing cycle is not concurrent with the calendar month.

At least that way I'll net $40, every other billing cycle.

If someone has a better strategy let me know.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 pm

I use one card for netflix and another for a different service. In my case the credit posted right away. Still planning to cancel some ccs but this helps some.

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Mon May 11, 2020 11:26 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:22 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:

I have 4 lines, and I'm pretty sure that the monthly Verizon discount is $10/line for me. We have 2 Amex platinum cards, so I have $40/month credit. But it's a wash since Verizon will take away the $40 discount for autopay by bank draft.

I think my strategy is going to be to make one time payments of $20 with each Amex card on the last day of one month and the first day of the next, so a total of $80 Amex payments but applied to one billing cycle, since the billing cycle is not concurrent with the calendar month.

At least that way I'll net $40, every other billing cycle.

If someone has a better strategy let me know.
Re reading my post, I should clarify

I believe the Amex credits are per calendar month. And Verizon bank draft discount is per billing cycle.

If you pay by credit card, Verizon will add a charge the next month to negate the bank draft discount. That’s what the internet seems to say

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 am

If you have something like mint mobile you can prepay for the year. Basically getting free wireless for the year.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue May 12, 2020 3:17 am

If you follow the link it goes over the details.

So it looks like you get a total of $20 dollars off for cellular service. Not per line. It has to be Verizon, ATT, Sprint, or T-Mobile. The other service providers are not listed.

Additionally, you can get up to $20 dollars off of streaming service like Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Sirius XM and some others.

So for my family: we have two cards.

I'll get $40 off combined from phone service and streaming media service on my card.

My wife has a card as well and we'll get another $20 off per month for the other streaming services that we bill to her card.

Unfortunately, these benefits look to end in December. But I'll take $60 off a month. Between this and my TSA precheck credit this year, it will make the card quite cheap. I was on the verge of cancelling my AMEX Platinum account. This will keep me for at least another year.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Tue May 12, 2020 6:47 am

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:17 am
Unfortunately, these benefits look to end in December. But I'll take $60 off a month. Between this and my TSA precheck credit this year, it will make the card quite cheap. I was on the verge of cancelling my AMEX Platinum account. This will keep me for at least another year.
This is the key. What good is an amex platinum if, like most people, one is not traveling? I am happy with this new perk, but something like this will need to be in play next March at my renewal date for me to continue holding this card.

Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore » Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 am

bigguy8437 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! We have Netflix and AT&T wireless billed on my card so should see that credit starting this month. I figured Amazon Prime would qualify too, but it looks like it's just "music unlimited" which I think is above and beyond a Prime membership. So $40 off per month. That's more than half the annual fee, anyway...
I've had that card for a long time, and my wife and I make sure that we put every purchase possible on it, or her card on the account. I also have two AMEX cards for my business, and the rewards points tie back to my personal account. No fees on the business cards.
Many years ago it seemed like a better deal. The miles were worth a bigger fraction of a penny, and the catalog of consumer items you could purchase via Membership Miles was somewhat limited, but a good value. Our first iPhones were "free", as well as a pretty nice TV and other consumer electronics. We used the miles to go to London when the kids were younger. It covered most of the airfare for 5 people! Nowadays, using the points on Amazon is certainly convenient, but the value of each mile is lower. Ditto on the "miles as cash" to purchase airfare.
The travel perks are good, including the baggage credit and hotel upgrades. It's almost a break even for me, annually. But I have never used some of the more esoteric card "benefits". I think, a long time ago, I tried to use the "concierge" service to jump the line at a popular restaurant in NYC. At that time, AMEX supposedly had tables "standing by" at many restaurants. I can't remember the details but it failed for sure; we just ended up standing around having drinks at the bar with everyone else, waiting for a table.
Since this is Bogleheads, not MMM or tightwad.com, I assume some here do make an occasional lifestyle choice like paying for a card with dubious "benefits". I go back and forth if it's worth $550/ year. If I travel a lot, it's at least a break even. Who knows.
Cheers

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:04 pm

So can someone tell me, since i am currently getting $5/line auto pay discount with verizon (for 3 lines, so $15 total discount), I Should then just switch to this AMEX credit of $20/month? Because I get $5 extra off? Is it worth the hassle to switch?

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Tue May 12, 2020 12:19 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:04 pm
So can someone tell me, since i am currently getting $5/line auto pay discount with verizon (for 3 lines, so $15 total discount), I Should then just switch to this AMEX credit of $20/month? Because I get $5 extra off? Is it worth the hassle to switch?
you could switch, or simply login to your verizon account and make a one time payment with the Amex. You'll get the $20 Amex credit and then Verizon will add a $15 charge to your bill

see my strategy above making two Amex payments on one Verizon billing cycle, and you could net $25 every two months

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:16 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:19 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
you could switch, or simply login to your verizon account and make a one time payment with the Amex. You'll get the $20 Amex credit and then Verizon will add a $15 charge to your bill

see my strategy above making two Amex payments on one Verizon billing cycle, and you could net $25 every two months
why wouldnt i not just switch it to do amex auto pay...? i dont get how if you do one time payment with amex how that gets you the auto pay discount - to get the autopay discount it has to be used with a debit card and not credit card, so i dont think your method works

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:16 pm
jacoavlu wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:

why wouldnt i not just switch it to do amex auto pay...? i dont get how if you do one time payment with amex how that gets you the auto pay discount - to get the autopay discount it has to be used with a debit card and not credit card, so i dont think your method works
The Amex $20 credit is once per month. I believe per calendar month. So $20 for 5/1-5/31. $20 for 6/1-6/30.

The Verizon credit is per line per billing cycle.

If you switch to autopay with your Amex, you will net $5 per bill, gaining the $20 Amex credit, losing the $15 Verizon autopay discount.

If you keep your Verizon payment as is, but make one time $20 Amex payments for instance on 5/30 and 6/2, you should get $40 Amex credit while losing a $15 Verizon discount. Net $25.

Repeat 7/30 and 8/2.

Make sense?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 12, 2020 2:20 pm

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:17 am
If you follow the link it goes over the details.

So it looks like you get a total of $20 dollars off for cellular service. Not per line. It has to be Verizon, ATT, Sprint, or T-Mobile. The other service providers are not listed.
There as others that have been reported as receiving credits. Amex says:
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:

AT&T
Sprint
T-Mobile
Verizon

*This is not a complete list.
I pushed a Google Fi payment to my Platinum card and so far did not receive credit. Others have reported receiving streaming credit for Google Fi charges.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:02 pm
Yes it's until 12/31. I switched my T-Mobile auto-pay to my AmEx platinum card, and I subscribed to YouTube premium. Have to remember to cancel 12/31 though!
Most people don't, and that's how they get you!

Note that almost all companies allow you to make partial payments. So for example I will pay $10/mo to my cell provider until the end of the year using my Amex Green card, but continue to put the rest on my Chase Ink Cash card, which earns 5 points per dollar spent on wireless.

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Does this also apply to the Amex Delta Platinum card?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

investor4life wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm
no

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm
Luckywon wrote:

Note that almost all companies allow you to make partial payments. So for example I will pay $10/mo to my cell provider until the end of the year using my Amex Green card, but continue to put the rest on my Chase Ink Cash card, which earns 5 points per dollar spent on wireless.
Oh nice idea! Do you make one payment manually and have the balance paud with auto-pay? Or do they allow you to set up two payment accounts and specify account from each?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 12, 2020 2:56 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 pm
02nz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm
Luckywon wrote:

Oh nice idea! Do you make one payment manually and have the balance paud with auto-pay? Or do they allow you to set up two payment accounts and specify account from each?
Yes, Sprint allows that, it doesn't affect the auto-pay card. Not sure about T-Mobile though.

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
jacoavlu wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:

The Amex $20 credit is once per month. I believe per calendar month. So $20 for 5/1-5/31. $20 for 6/1-6/30.

If you switch to autopay with your Amex, you will net $5 per bill, gaining the $20 Amex credit, losing the $15 Verizon autopay discount.

If you keep your Verizon payment as is, but make one time $20 Amex payments for instance on 5/30 and 6/2, you should get $40 Amex credit while losing a $15 Verizon discount. Net $25.

Repeat 7/30 and 8/2.

Make sense?
Can someone else confirm this method? Nothing against you, I just want to be sure before I go ahead. I never knew you could make partial payments with another card

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Tue May 12, 2020 7:07 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 pm
jacoavlu wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:
jacoavlu wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:

Repeat 7/30 and 8/2.

Make sense?
Can someone else confirm this method? Nothing against you, I just want to be sure before I go ahead. I never knew you could make partial payments with another card
No offense taken. But it’s not as if there’s any risk with trying.

My Verizon billing cycle is 5/22-6/21. So I’ll work my plan and post results.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Emphasis mine. Amusing typo. :D

In a similar boat, but only getting $5 autopay discount. No-brainer to switch to using the AmEx, but won't be suing them!

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:07 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 pm
jacoavlu wrote:
bigguy8437 wrote:
jacoavlu wrote:

Repeat 7/30 and 8/2.

Make sense?
No offense taken. But it’s not as if there’s any risk with trying.

My Verizon billing cycle is 5/22-6/21. So I’ll work my plan and post results.
I've made a one-time on my payment on my Amex...I'll check back in a couple days to see if I go the credit

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm

When does your Verizon billing cycle end?

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:24 pm

May 6

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:24 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm
May 6

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:24 pm
jacoavlu wrote:
May 6
So make sure to make June payment early, so you have two payments on one billing cycle. Then make payment late July and early August.

Make sense?

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
jacoavlu wrote:
May 6
So make sure to make June payment early, so you have two payments on one billing cycle. Then make payment late July and early August.

Make sense?
Yes I actually just made a $20 one-time payment and got the credit on Amex two days later. So it works

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu May 21, 2020 1:32 am

jacoavlu wrote:

Repeat 7/30 and 8/2.

Make sense?
Fantastic!! I just paid my T-mobile bill early, squeeze an extra $20 out of nowhere :sharebeer

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm
investor4life wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm
no
Our Amex Delta Platinum has offers for additional cash back on wireless phone and tv. Looks like it’s $5 back on $100 up to 4x for phone and $5 back on $90 up to 4x on tv. I made some extra payments on our Verizon and DirecTV accounts and maxed out the benefit.

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:21 pm

I just went in to pay with my Amex this month, and there was a message saying I will lose my auto pay discount if I pay with Amex. So I think this is not available to do the double discount thing anymore?

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
jacoavlu wrote:
May 6

Make sense?
I just went in to pay with my Amex this month, and there was a message saying I will lose my auto pay discount if I pay with Amex. So I think this is not available to do the double discount thing anymore?

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am

desiderium wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:47 am

This is the key. What good is an amex platinum if, like most people, one is not traveling? I am happy with this new perk, but something like this will need to be in play next March at my renewal date for me to continue holding this card.
I'll tell ya what man, I'm in the Army and figured I'd immediately cancel these high fee cards once I get out and they start charging the annual fee. However, they saved my bacon when several retailers & ticket master all refused to refund for products/services not provided over COVID. Amex refunded everything and then took it to the companies. I love the extended warranty benefits, and definitely appreciate all the travel benefits, too. I can't keep all of my high-AF cards, but the platinum may be worth it.

When I did an insurance claim through Amex, it was all handled with Amex subsidiaries that streamline the process. When I did a travel insurance claim through Chase, it worked out, but it took a lot more work on my end, which included a couple phone calls with a very nasty insurance claim rep. I've gotta hand it to the Amex folks. I just got the Citi Prestige and don't have a comment for them, yet.

So far, this year:
- 2 Amex plats have converted points into $1,300 into my Schwab account, paid $40/mo for the last 2 months towards my phone bill.
- Amex Hilton Aspire is currently working towards $250 towards restaurant bills
- Citi Prestige has covered $250 in groceries
- Chase Sapphire Reserve is now covering 7.5% of my groceries & bought me $300 in Delta gift cards
- Bonvoy Brilliant has covered $300 in hotel bills

I live in a pretty remote place where I can't take advantage of all the food delivery perks, but they're getting pretty good with the CSR & AP. Total benefit value this year: ~$2,500 and growing.
Last edited by ValuationsMatter on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am

Losing the Verizon autopay discount is expected if you are making a payment with credit card

The Verizon autopay discount is per Verizon billing cycle

The Amex credit is per calendar month

My plan is to use those facts to my advantage.

Now I can not be sure if Verizon would take away the autopay discount if you only make one $20 Amex payment. The way they take away the discount is by applying a charge to your Verizon account in the amount of the discount. It would be great if you could just make a $20 Amex payment and not lose the autopay discount. Verizon is within their right to take away the autopay discount when you make the payment, but I don’t know if they always do.

Flyertalk would be the best place to try to find data points on this

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:07 am

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:35 pm

ValuationsMatter wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am
desiderium wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:47 am

I'll tell ya what man, I'm in the Army and figured I'd immediately cancel these high fee cards once I get out and they start charging the annual fee. However, they saved my bacon when several retailers & ticket master all refused to refund for products/services not provided over COVID. Amex refunded everything and then took it to the companies. I love the extended warranty benefits, and definitely appreciate all the travel benefits, too. I can't keep all of my high-AF cards, but the platinum may be worth it.

When I did an insurance claim through Amex, it was all handled with Amex subsidiaries that streamline the process. When I did a travel insurance claim through Chase, it worked out, but it took a lot more work on my end, which included a couple phone calls with a very nasty insurance claim rep. I've gotta hand it to the Amex folks. I just got the Citi Prestige and don't have a comment for them, yet.

So far, this year:
- 2 Amex plats have converted points into $1,300 into my Schwab account, paid $40/mo for the last 2 months towards my phone bill.
- Amex Hilton Aspire is currently working towards $250 towards restaurant bills
- Citi Prestige has covered $250 in groceries
- Chase Sapphire Reserve is now covering 7.5% of my groceries & bought me $300 in Delta gift cards
- Bonvoy Brilliant has covered $300 in hotel bills

I live in a pretty remote place where I can't take advantage of all the food delivery perks, but they're getting pretty good with the CSR & AP. Total benefit value this year: ~$2,500 and growing.
Nice work. Good point about the customer support, but one has to pay attention and keep track of the benefits. $550 is a high bar. I'll see what happens with my travel over the fall and winter.

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 am

jacoavlu wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am
Losing the Verizon autopay discount is expected if you are making a payment with credit card

Now I can not be sure if Verizon would take away the autopay discount if you only make one $20 Amex payment. The way they take away the discount is by applying a charge to your Verizon account in the amount of the discount. It would be great if you could just make a $20 Amex payment and not lose the autopay discount. Verizon is within their right to take away the autopay discount when you make the payment, but I don’t know if they always do.

What I’m saying is when I went to go make the one time $20 payment on Verizon using my Amex, they gave an alert saying they’d take away the auto pay discount as well. They didn’t have that message last month, I think they caught onto it

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 am

jacoavlu wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am

What I’m saying is when I went to go make the one time $20 payment on Verizon using my Amex, they gave an alert saying they’d take away the auto pay discount as well. They didn’t have that message last month, I think they caught onto it