Where do I file unemployment? Complex military spouse situation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
pete1983

Where do I file unemployment? Complex military spouse situation

Post by pete1983 »

Hi,
I am hoping for some help with where my wife should file unemployment. She was working remotely living in California for a company located in DC.

To further complicate things, she pays state taxes to Pennsylvania. This is due to her being a military spouse, and she is allowed to file taxes in the same state I file taxes in.

So in summary, living in California, working for a company located in the District of Columbia, and paying state taxes to Pennsylvania.

Thanks

Pete
go_mets

Re: Where do I file unemployment? Complex military spouse situation

Post by go_mets »

Unemployment benefits come from the unemployment insurance taxes one pays.
This is separate from the state taxes.
At least that is the way it is for me in my state.
What does her pay stub say?
To which state is her UI taxes going?

If she did not pay any UI taxes, then I am going to guess she can file anywhere and get $0 + $600.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Assuming the employer knows she lives and works in California, she should file in California.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

What does her paystub show? My wife has been in similar positions in the past and her UI was paid to the state where we were stationed even though our state of residence was elsewhere and her company was located in DC.

I would expect California in your case.
aida2003

Post by aida2003 »

abracadabra11 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:31 pm What does her paystub show? My wife has been in similar positions in the past and her UI was paid to the state where we were stationed even though our state of residence was elsewhere and her company was located in DC.
I would expect California in your case.
Sorry for a dumb question, but where on the paystub would I find such information? Employee doesn't pay UI taxes. Employer does. I'm guessing that employer goes by employee's address on his/her file with the company. So, if she listed CA address as her home, my guess would be that her UI benefits should come from CA. But I am as knowledgeable in this area as OP. :|
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

aida2003 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 pm Employee doesn't pay UI taxes. Employer does.
Nope. That is incorrect.
In my state, the employee does pay UI taxes.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

go_mets wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm
aida2003 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 pm Employee doesn't pay UI taxes. Employer does.
Nope. That is incorrect.
All states require employers to pay unemployment taxes. Alaska, Pennsylvania and New Jersey also require the employee to pay unemployment taxes.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

galawdawg wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:25 am
go_mets wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm
Nope. That is incorrect.
All states require employers to pay unemployment taxes. Alaska, Pennsylvania and New Jersey also require the employee to pay unemployment taxes.
That's what I meant.
The employer always pay, but in my state the employee pays as well.