Will? Digital info

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rich126

Will? Digital info

Post by rich126 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:59 am

Sadly a long time friend, 30+ years passed away today. He was rushed to the hospital after suffering a month with Coronavirus like symptoms last week, but it was too late. Now I’m pondering a few things and was hoping for suggestions on stuff like:

Best way to pass on logins and passwords for non financial sites!
How to pass on notification of death to those people you only or mostly only know via the Internet?
Should you have a list of people to notify in a will? Not people who would get an inheritance but just friends.
Should any of this be in a will? I do have a will and trust.

While I do a lot of online stuff I don’t have an active Facebook presence.
Many years ago I used to chat with many people online, and even met a few in person, and dated a couple of them. And some remain online friends to this day and I would think they would want to know why I disappeared.

Anything else?

Sorry for the rather morbid topic. Its been a rough week. Thanks.

bob60014

Re: Will? Digital info

Post by bob60014 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 am

This very useful older thread may be of use to you. Its titled, Death Book.

viewtopic.php?t=119346

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri May 08, 2020 8:33 am

Sorry for your loss. I have a letter of instruction (along with numerous spreadsheets and statements) stored in a private shared folder in Google Drive.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Fri May 08, 2020 8:48 am

OP,

I found that Willmaker had an excellent questionaire and process for documenting this types of information in it’s Information for Caregivers and Survivors.

It seemed very complete to me and serves a key transition document in my Estate plan.

WoodSpinner
Last edited by WoodSpinner on Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri May 08, 2020 9:29 am

rich126 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:59 am
Sadly a long time friend, 30+ years passed away today. He was rushed to the hospital after suffering a month with Coronavirus like symptoms last week, but it was too late. Now I’m pondering a few things and was hoping for suggestions on stuff like:

Best way to pass on logins and passwords for non financial sites!
How to pass on notification of death to those people you only or mostly only know via the Internet?
Should you have a list of people to notify in a will? Not people who would get an inheritance but just friends.
Should any of this be in a will? I do have a will and trust.

While I do a lot of online stuff I don’t have an active Facebook presence.
Many years ago I used to chat with many people online, and even met a few in person, and dated a couple of them. And some remain online friends to this day and I would think they would want to know why I disappeared.

Anything else?

Sorry for the rather morbid topic. Its been a rough week. Thanks.
I think it's helpful to have a common communication channel, in addition to whatever else you use for a particular person. So in my letter of instruction I have emali addresses, because almost everyone uses email.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Fri May 08, 2020 9:47 am

For passwords, use a password manager like Dashlane or Lastpass. I have over 400 passwords securely stored and each is long, strong, and unique.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri May 08, 2020 10:53 am

JaneyLH wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:47 am
For passwords, use a password manager like Dashlane or Lastpass. I have over 400 passwords securely stored and each is long, strong, and unique.
That's a good idea and I do that, but make sure your executor or whoever can access it. Also I've been slow (okay, really slow) about copying all my security questions and answers into Lastpass, and you defintely have to do that - whether you use real answers or fake ones. If you haven't always used a password manager, it's a very time-consuming process to go through all the sites and manually enter the security questions and answers into your password manager.

Topic Author
rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I'll check out some of the links.