Best way to make out a scholarship check

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
spartanap

Best way to make out a scholarship check

Post by spartanap »

I'm thinking of using some of my stimulus money to provide a scholarship to a student at the high school I attended. Looking for advice on how to make out the check. Could I do a cashiers check made out to the student and the school they are attending? Thanks for any feedback.
Stinky

Re: Best way to make out a scholarship check

Post by Stinky »

I’m on a committee that gives out scholarships to high school seniors.

We require that the student give us a copy of his letter of admission to college, and the address where the money should be sent at college along with the student’s account number. We then send the money directly to the college.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Our kids receive a scholarship from an outside organization after filling out a very short application. The check is made payable to them and the college.
Flora

Post by Flora »

I think it is best to make it payable to the school and mail it yourself directly to the school with the student's info.

I read once on a college forum about a student who said his/her family made them use up a scholarship check over the summer before college to pay the family's household bills.