No tax return after >10 weeks?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
geerhardusvos

No tax return after >10 weeks?

Post by geerhardusvos »

Context:
I mailed in my tax return and w2s to the IRS in early March after trying to submit with TurboTax. I have used TurboTax for 12+ years straight, and I tried 4 times to submit using the online/web version and when calling TurboTax they said that some personal information didn't match but all my information does match... I confirmed with turbotax that this happens with a small percentage of folks and they end up having to mail it in. So I mailed it in with our W2s :annoyed

Questions:
--I haven't heard anything back (this check has no record of my information when checking status here:https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/i ... status.jsp). Is this expected? Should I be concerned? I read online that the expected SLA is ~8 weeks, but guessing the current situation might be contributing to this?
--Has anyone experienced this before, and is there something I'm missing?

Thanks ahead for your input here!

edit: received via direct deposit on 7/9/2020
Last edited by geerhardusvos on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTSAX and chill
petercooperjr

Re: No tax return after >10 weeks?

Post by petercooperjr »

The IRS isn't handling paper returns at all. They're just piling up somewhere for them to deal with once their processing centers reopen.

From their site:
The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed once processing centers are able to reopen.
So at this point there's not even an ETA on when they'll get to yours.
Topic Author
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

petercooperjr wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:02 pm The IRS isn't handling paper returns at all. They're just piling up somewhere for them to deal with once their processing centers reopen.

From their site:
The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed once processing centers are able to reopen.
oh jeez... thanks for letting me know! that's $3k I was hoping to drop into vtsax... ouch
VTSAX and chill
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

petercooperjr wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:02 pm The IRS isn't handling paper returns at all. They're just piling up somewhere for them to deal with once their processing centers reopen.

From their site:
It is not clear that e-filed returns are faring any better.

I e-filed mine on March 10th, and received my refund about two weeks later.

Both my son's e-filed about a week later, and their returns are both listed as "still processing, we will provide a refund date when available", or something similar in the IRS status page. I.E., not even an ETA...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Delete
Last edited by PaunchyPirate on Wed May 06, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

marcopolo wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:13 pm It is not clear that e-filed returns are faring any better.

Both my son's e-filed about a week later, and their returns are both listed as "still processing, we will provide a refund date when available", or something similar in the IRS status page. I.E., not even an ETA...
I e-filed mine via TurboTax on April 10 and had my refund about 2 weeks later.
sks

Post by sks »

I received my CA state refund within 2 weeks but am waiting for my federal refund which was e-filed in early march. The online status says "Your tax return is still being processed."!
Topic Author
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 pm
marcopolo wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:13 pm It is not clear that e-filed returns are faring any better.

All my friends and family who e-filed have already received their return. There’s a piece of me that thinks something else went wrong, but I don’t really have a way of finding out... Wonderful how the government won’t be paying me any interest on the money they owe me
VTSAX and chill
informal guide

Post by informal guide »

I e-filed my Federal return on April 18 (first time I e-filed) through Turbotax and received a five figure refund ten days later - I am feeling flush!
Flora

Post by Flora »

The filing is called a Tax RETURN.

The overpayment you receive as a check in the mail or a direct deposit to your bank account is called a Tax REFUND.

The terms are not interchangeable.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I mailed a paper return to the IRS, priority mail, and the USPS tracking system indicates it was delivered in mid-March. (I mailed one to the state a day or two later. I received my state refund about three weeks after mailing my return.)

The IRS "Where's My Refund?" website shows nothing. No information. It isn't in that first phase. It says "You may not have entered your information correctly...." If I go ahead and enter the mailing date and click "submit," I then get to a screen that just says
We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:
* verify your filing date;
* check with your tax preparer
If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within six weeks of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.
I'm pretty sure that, as others have said, the reason is that they aren't processing paper returns at all. They have only just been physically recalled to work.

Under normal circumstances I'd be edgy about it and I'd be calling the IRS to find out if I should mail another copy etc. For now, I am gritting my teeth and saying that the deadline has been extended to July 15th, and that I should probably just... sit... tight and relax. I am trying to steel myself to waiting until sometimes close to the end of June before doing anything.
I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't know anything more if I called. They'd just do the equivalent of filling in the same information, and just telling me verbally that "We cannot provide any information about your refund."

So this doesn't help except to confirm that you're not the only one having the problem.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

This is from an IRS press release of April 9:

To protect the public and employees, and in compliance with orders of local health authorities around the country, certain IRS services such as live assistance on telephones, processing paper tax returns and responding to correspondence are extremely limited or suspended until further notice. All Taxpayer Assistance Centers remain temporarily closed as are many volunteer tax preparation sites until further notice.

Two weeks ago, the IRS recalled 10,000 “mission-critical” employees. I do not know if any of these employees are processing paper returns. Also, the recall was location specific so I would guess some locations are considered too high risk and any returns in a high risk location will be sitting even longer.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

I also filed a paper return in March, with a check that they processed immediately. I received a stimulus payment based on my 2018 return. I would not have qualified for one based on my 2019 return. I think this proves that the forms were stashed somewhere for future processing.
Gray

Post by Gray »

I don’t know why people would file via paper.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/six-reasons-to-e-file
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Gray wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 pm I don’t know why people would file via paper.

I have a professional (read: non retail store) tax preparer. I also have business income from a consulting side gig with extra schedules. How can I e-file these for less than the cost of postage?

I still have not received my refund, nor does the IRS site give me any information. I mailed mine in on February 27.

It appears they are just stockpiling them in Utah. Most likely the returns for anyone expecting a refund were stockpiled first. This is the last year I overpay the government.

-TheDDC
Last edited by TheDDC on Wed May 06, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Sun May 17, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Gray wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:02 pm I don’t know why people would file via paper.

The OP clearly explained why they didn't efile.

I also didn't efile because you can't efile in every circumstance. There's no way to efile a bad debt statement, for instance. Or if you've just married a non-citizen and need to apply for an ETIN in order to file MFJ. Probably lots of other scenarios.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

Mainly because it is how I’ve always done it. Learning how to do it a new way would just add more time to a task I’d rather not do in the first place.

Partly because I don’t want to provide my personal info to a third party.

Also, my state returns (plural) have to be done by mail. Some of the forms I need related to non-resident income are not supported electronically. So if I’m making a trip to the post office anyway, I may as well mail everything.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

TheDDC wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 pm

I have a professional (read: non retail store) tax preparer. I also have business income from a consulting side gig with extra schedules. How can I e-file these for less than the cost of postage?
I was not aware that any professional software still charged separately for efiling. I thought any software authorized for professional use on a per return basis should have the same fee paid whether the return is efiled for paper filed. Maybe not?
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Katietsu wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 pm
TheDDC wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 pm

I was not aware that any professional software still charged separately for efiling. I thought any software authorized for professional use on a per return basis should have the same fee paid whether the return is efiled for paper filed. Maybe not?
I should clarify. My tax preparer is a person and is somewhat old school, but I fail to see how I could efile with a professional tax preparer (person, not software) with all the additional schedules for SP income/deductions and have those costs be less than the cost I pay to put it in the mail with postage. I would guess that for my guy to efile would be an additional fee.

If the IRS is pushing efile then it should be the same cost as it is for all the paper forms/schedules: free.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

My daughter´s return was efiled on 4/15 and she got her federal refund within two weeks. Her NYS refund came today.

My return was efiled on 4/22 but I am not getting a federal refund (zero balance due), so no concerns there. For the state, I chose *not* to receive my small overpayment as a refund but rather to leave it on deposit with New York State as estimated tax payment for NY. I figure they need the cash more than I do and I will save them the trouble of sending it to me. This might be the first time in my life that I have no balance due *and* no refunds.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

After all these years I'm still DIY filing H&R Block software paper returns by registered mail.

Our IRS return went out on March 11 and the state return on March 12. The registered mail postal cards came back on March 12 and 13. We owed money and the checks cleared on March 13 & 16. The HRB software update hasn't shown any change in owed tax since then.

Is there hope that means all is well?
JW
Retired at Last
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JW-Retired wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:22 am After all these years I'm still DIY filing H&R Block software paper returns by registered mail.

Our IRS return went out on March 11 and the state return on March 12. The registered mail postal cards came back on March 12 and 13. We owed money and the checks cleared on March 13 & 16. The HRB software update hasn't shown any change in owed tax since then.

Is there hope that means all is well?
JW
You should be fine. You have POD and the amount due is paid.

In my opinion, the IRS is going to be given wide latitude to not be picky about meeting the filing dates for individuals. If I had to file a paper return I would certainly send it certified or FEDEX and keep the POD. If I didn't have to file a paper return, I would not. The volume surge increases the chance that a return gets lost and even if one has POD, it may mean re-sending a copy of a lost return to start the process over.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In my case: because the tax software I was using, H&R Block At Home, said that I had to.

The issue, for what it's worth, is that in 2019 we neglected to take a very small RMD from a TIRA bank account, and thought we should ask the IRS to waive the penalty. I checked a box in the software saying I was going to submit a letter asking for a waiver of the penalty, and the software then said that it wouldn't let me eFile, I would have to file on paper.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

My accountant filed my return electronically the third week of March. I got my state refund at the end of March. I checked the IRS website and the legend was that it was being processed. I got my federal refund yesterday.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Presumably a paper amended return for prior tax years falls under the category of sitting in storage somewhere? That would explain why nothing shows up on the track my amended return status.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Interesting. I wonder what differentiates some returnsgetting processed that quickly vs. others taking much longer.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
magicrat

Post by magicrat »

Flora wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 pm The filing is called a Tax RETURN.

The overpayment you receive as a check in the mail or a direct deposit to your bank account is called a Tax REFUND.

The terms are not interchangeable.
Thank you! This seems to have crept into the lexicon lately and has been driving me nuts.
gks

Post by gks »

I mailed our federal and state returns April 6ish and had USPS had confirmations of deliveries April 10. The IRS cashed our check sometime the next week, while the state took about 2ish weeks. I don't know if the IRS is processing returns, but the Treasury is certainly cashing checks.

And no, I don't want to figure out how to file electronically and still have to send a check in the mail.

As an aside, we still haven't received our economic stimulus payment.

Greg
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

gks wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:41 pm I mailed our federal and state returns April 6ish and had USPS had confirmations of deliveries April 10. The IRS cashed our check sometime the next week, while the state took about 2ish weeks. I don't know if the IRS is processing returns, but the Treasury is certainly cashing checks.

And no, I don't want to figure out how to file electronically and still have to send a check in the mail.

Greg
You can pay electronically as well.
As an added bonus, that would have meant you would have received your stimulus money already as well.
gks

Post by gks »

marcopolo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:47 pm
gks wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:41 pm I mailed our federal and state returns April 6ish and had USPS had confirmations of deliveries April 10. The IRS cashed our check sometime the next week, while the state took about 2ish weeks. I don't know if the IRS is processing returns, but the Treasury is certainly cashing checks.

Greg
You can pay electronically as well.
As an added bonus, that would have meant you would have received your stimulus money already as well.
Thanks. I figured there was a way to do this, but as I said, I just don't want to learn how to do it.

And, we don't really need the ESP. Trying to decide what to do with it if it ever does arrive.

Greg
Topic Author
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

nisiprius wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 pm I mailed a paper return to the IRS, priority mail, and the USPS tracking system indicates it was delivered in mid-March. (I mailed one to the state a day or two later. I received my state refund about three weeks after mailing my return.)

The IRS "Where's My Refund?" website shows nothing. No information. It isn't in that first phase. It says "You may not have entered your information correctly...." If I go ahead and enter the mailing date and click "submit," I then get to a screen that just says
If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within six weeks of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.
I'm pretty sure that, as others have said, the reason is that they aren't processing paper returns at all. They have only just been physically recalled to work.

Under normal circumstances I'd be edgy about it and I'd be calling the IRS to find out if I should mail another copy etc. For now, I am gritting my teeth and saying that the deadline has been extended to July 15th, and that I should probably just... sit... tight and relax. I am trying to steel myself to waiting until sometimes close to the end of June before doing anything.
I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't know anything more if I called. They'd just do the equivalent of filling in the same information, and just telling me verbally that "We cannot provide any information about your refund."

So this doesn't help except to confirm that you're not the only one having the problem.
This is exactly the process I went through; thank you for validating you are having a similar experience.

For what it’s worth, I have significantly lowered the withholding from my paychecks so that in about a month or two we will be even on paper. I’d rather owe them money than them owe me money, because I seem to be more reliable than Uncle Sam at paying my IOUs even during a crisis, and I would like to earn interest on that money in the interim. Let’s see what happens come July
VTSAX and chill
gks

Post by gks »

[/quote]

This is exactly the process I went through; thank you for validating you are having a similar experience.

For what it’s worth, I have significantly lowered the withholding from my paychecks so that in about a month or two we will be even on paper. I’d rather owe them money than them owe me money, because I seem to be more reliable than Uncle Sam at paying my IOUs even during a crisis, and I would like to earn interest on that money in the interim. Let’s see what happens come July
[/quote]

Amen. I don't mind writing a check the the Treasury because it means I made more in dividend payments than the penalty for underpaying taxes.

Greg
Electron

Post by Electron »

I'm glad I noticed this thread. I mailed my Federal and California Tax Returns on March 6 from the same mailbox.

My California refund was electronically deposited into my bank account 5 weeks later. There is no information available on my Federal return. I've had the same results as others in this thread using the IRS Get Refund Status website. I'll assume for the moment that the return was received and will be processed at a later date.
Electron
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jbmitt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:02 pm Presumably a paper amended return for prior tax years falls under the category of sitting in storage somewhere? That would explain why nothing shows up on the track my amended return status.
Yes; an Amended return is a paper return that is processed manually -- with one added caveat: I do not believe a refund can be direct deposited from an amended return so if your amended return involves a refund, it will also have to go through the check printing and distribution cycle. It is likely in one of the trailers waiting for the centers to re-start processing.
Last edited by jebmke on Fri May 08, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

If you are filing as Estate Administrator for a deceased person, you have to file on paper and you have to include the death certificate and documentation stating you are the administrator. I filed in early February. What the 'where's my refund' says has changed a couple times over the months. It now says this.

Your tax return is still being processed.
A refund date will be provided when available.
Please Note:
For refund information, please continue to check here, or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go. Updates to refund status are made no more than once a day.
triyoda

Post by triyoda »

I have always filed paper returns. It's outrageous that the IRS expects me to pay for software to do E-filing. A better question is why can't the IRS set up their own e-file system. It's almost like the government is promoting rent-seeking by the tax software companies. And I'm sure it costs the IRS more to handle paper returns than E-file, so again it makes no sense why they don't set up their own free system, because it would save money (but hurt the rent-seekers business). I will never E-file (as a matter of principal) until it is free of charge.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

jebmke wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:29 pm
jbmitt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:02 pm Presumably a paper amended return for prior tax years falls under the category of sitting in storage somewhere? That would explain why nothing shows up on the track my amended return status.
Yes; an Amended return is a paper return that is processed manually -- with one added caveat: I do not believe a refund can be direct deposited from an amended return so if your amended return involves a refund, it will also have to go through the check printing and distribution cycle. It is likely in one of the trailers waiting for the centers to re-start processing.

Thank you
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

Some returns must be mailed:

* Amended returns

* If your e-filed return is rejected (someone used your SSN, two people claimed the same child, an EIN is incorrect, other reasons)

* If attaching a W-7, request for an ITIN
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

triyoda wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:29 pm

I have always filed paper returns. It's outrageous that the IRS expects me to pay for software to do E-filing. A better question is why can't the IRS set up their own e-file system. It's almost like the government is promoting rent-seeking by the tax software companies. And I'm sure it costs the IRS more to handle paper returns than E-file, so again it makes no sense why they don't set up their own free system, because it would save money (but hurt the rent-seekers business). I will never E-file (as a matter of principal) until it is free of charge.
Your anger is misdirected. The IRS doesn't because Congress won't let them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbarro/ ... 96e26e2fb6

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/col ... a-tax-bill

https://www.propublica.org/article/cong ... k-turbotax
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

To the OP

I’m not sure if it has more info than the “Where’s my Refund?” System but the IRS tax transcript would be worth checking

A few years ago I sent a paper return on 4/15. I think it took like 16 weeks to get my refund. But I could tell on the tax transcript site that stuff was happening. There are activity codes and processing dates etc. worth checking out

Also I believe if your return is not processed in a timely manner you will earn interest on your refund. I got a check for 5% interest for something like 10 weeks. It was more than I expected.

Then of course I got a 1099-int and had to pay tax on the interest with my next return
DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick »

+10

It's actually worse. A part of the money you pay to commercial vendors to efile goes towards lobbying efforts against you, in keeping the tax code complex and preventing IRS from setting up a free efile.

https://www.propublica.org/article/insi ... s-for-free

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71425&p=5139411&hil ... y#p5139411
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

I've been e-filing for years, and paid exactly $0.00 for that, but my taxes aren't that complex.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

geerhardusvos wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 pm

From their site:
oh jeez... thanks for letting me know! that's $3k I was hoping to drop into vtsax... ouch
More reasons not to keep your savings with the Bank of IRS!
mouses

Post by mouses »

trueblueky wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:54 pm

Your anger is misdirected. The IRS doesn't because Congress won't let them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbarro/ ... 96e26e2fb6

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/col ... a-tax-bill

https://www.propublica.org/article/cong ... k-turbotax
Yes, Congress is screwing over the IRS, the Post Office, and the American taxpayer, all to profit their big corporate cronies. What else is new.
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

nisiprius wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 pm
My guess is the IRS manpower shortage is affecting your return processing; however, if you are filing MFJ try entering your spouse's social security number on the IRS refund status tool. I filed electronically in late March and have yet to receive a refund. The refund status system gives me the same error you received when I enter my social security number and other required information; however, when I enter my wife's SS# and information the system locates our return and simply says it's "in process."
Topic Author
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

wassabi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:36 am
nisiprius wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 pm
My guess is the IRS manpower shortage is affecting your return processing; however, if you are filing MFJ try entering your spouse's social security number on the IRS refund status tool. I filed electronically in late March and have yet to receive a refund. The refund status system gives me the same error you received when I enter my social security number and other required information; however, when I enter my wife's SS# and information the system locates our return and simply says it's "in process."
Ok good to know, thank you, will try that.
VTSAX and chill
Electron

Post by Electron »

The IRS operations site referenced earlier in this thread has a June 10 update.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operat ... s-continue

Unfortunately, there is no new information on the processing of paper tax returns. Those who submitted paper returns will have to wait until processing centers reopen.

I found it surprising that more than 90% of taxpayers filed electronically this year.
Electron
Topic Author
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

nisiprius wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 pm I mailed a paper return to the IRS, priority mail, and the USPS tracking system indicates it was delivered in mid-March. (I mailed one to the state a day or two later. I received my state refund about three weeks after mailing my return.)

Well, quick update here, I received a transaction processing in my checking account that appears to be my tax return.

Anyone else get there’s who filed by mail?
VTSAX and chill
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Did it match the amount on your return?