File tax return electronically

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
Topic Author
beyou
Posts: 3081
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by beyou » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:46 am

I live in one of the states and was able to get the PIN...for 2019.
You need to get a new PIN each year.

lws
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by lws » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm

The IRS should have had the resources to handle this crisis.

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 5557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:47 am
I've been e-filing longer than I can remember.
Me too, for many years, but at my age, that may not mean much!!!!
“One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese Proverb

jebmke
Posts: 10866
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by jebmke » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:08 pm

lws wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm
The IRS should have had the resources to handle this crisis.
The centers are closed.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Katietsu
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by Katietsu » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 pm

talzara wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 pm
AAA wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:15 pm
In my case, I am reluctant to e-file because I cannot see exactly what is being filed as I can with paper filing. Yes, I can have the program print out the forms that would be submitted to the IRS with paper filing, but I can't verify that the electronically filed return matches what is in those forms. I'm not saying it's a reasonable objection, but for now that's why I continue to paper file.
For the most part, the e-filed returns contain the same information that's on the paper returns. There are a few differences, especially in "Attach statement." Many statements are actually treated e-filed as forms, with individual line items that can be processed electronically. When it gets to the IRS, most of the data is stored away and never examined unless you are audited.

The problem with the IRS e-file system is that it does everything behind your back. You cannot see the data that is being transmitted to the IRS, so you have to assume that everything you typed into the tax software is being submitted. For example, most worksheets are not submitted, but how do you know that?

Canada used to have a better e-filing system. There was a .tax file format, which tax software could save. You could go to the Canada Revenue Agency's website and upload the .tax file yourself. Nothing was done behind your back, because you could see what was in the .tax file before you uploaded it. However, the CRA has replaced the old system with NETFILE, which requires taxpayers to e-file through a tax software company.
Using Free Fillable Forms instead of a traditional software program should accomplish very close to your objective.

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by AAA » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:23 pm

talzara wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:36 am
The IRS is using your credit report for identity verification.
So what should those of us with security freezes do? Do they say which specific agency is used?

informal guide
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:26 am

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by informal guide » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:39 pm

AAA wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:15 pm
beyou wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am
It is the data theft most seem to fear.
In my case, I am reluctant to e-file because I cannot see exactly what is being filed as I can with paper filing. Yes, I can have the program print out the forms that would be submitted to the IRS with paper filing, but I can't verify that the electronically filed return matches what is in those forms. I'm not saying it's a reasonable objection, but for now that's why I continue to paper file.
This has been my philosophy too, without any substantive research on the matter. However, this year I discovered that I am owed a substantial refund. With the word that the IRS is not processing paper, I just e-filed for the first time, using the downloaded Turbotax (which I have used since the 1980's). My return was accepted at 5 PM Pacific time on April 18; today I discovered my large IRS direct deposit is crediting at Fidelity in tonight's posting :D :D

Unfortunately, my PA return, where I was also due a refund, had to be paper filed because of it including an uncommon State form. Knowing PA, my guess is I will not get the refund until August,
Last edited by informal guide on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by LilyFleur » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 pm

lws wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm
The IRS should have had the resources to handle this crisis.
They have been understaffed for a while now.

talzara
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by talzara » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 pm

AAA wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:23 pm
talzara wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:36 am
The IRS is using your credit report for identity verification.
So what should those of us with security freezes do? Do they say which specific agency is used?
The IRS uses Experian.
If you’ve placed a credit security freeze with Experian — the credit bureau that the IRS uses to verify your identity — you’ll need to have it temporarily removed before continuing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get ... our-while/

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by AAA » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am

talzara wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 pm
The IRS uses Experian.
If we have to temporarily lift the freeze at Experian, for how long should this be done? Does the IRS website immediately check with Experian or could there be a delay (hours? days?)?

talzara
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by talzara » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 pm
Using Free Fillable Forms instead of a traditional software program should accomplish very close to your objective.
Free File Fillable Forms is a stripped down version of TurboTax that has only the forms, not the interview. Anything that is implemented in the interview cannot be e-filed through FFFF. For example, most attachments cannot be e-filed through FFFF because Intuit has implemented them in the interview.

talzara
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by talzara » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:22 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am
If we have to temporarily lift the freeze at Experian, for how long should this be done? Does the IRS website immediately check with Experian or could there be a delay (hours? days?)?
You cannot create an IRS account until you pass identity verification. Once you've created an account, you do not have to pass it again.

It is important for everyone to create an IRS account, even people who live in states that do not have access to Identity Protection PINs. An IRS account gives you access to sensitive information, such as tax transcripts. If an identity thief created an account in your place, the thief would be able to see your AGI for last year. The AGI is used to e-file in cases where there is no Identity Protection PIN.

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by AAA » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm

talzara wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:22 pm
AAA wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am
If we have to temporarily lift the freeze at Experian, for how long should this be done? Does the IRS website immediately check with Experian or could there be a delay (hours? days?)?
You cannot create an IRS account until you pass identity verification. Once you've created an account, you do not have to pass it again.
Okay, but that's not what I was asking.

Katietsu
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by Katietsu » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:23 pm

talzara wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:11 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 pm
Using Free Fillable Forms instead of a traditional software program should accomplish very close to your objective.
Free File Fillable Forms is a stripped down version of TurboTax that has only the forms, not the interview. Anything that is implemented in the interview cannot be e-filed through FFFF. For example, most attachments cannot be e-filed through FFFF because Intuit has implemented them in the interview.
True. But as a result, it is more transparent as to exactly what is bing transmitted. If it meets a person’s needs, it could alleviate one concern expressed above by a few others.

talzara
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: File tax return electronically

Post by talzara » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm
talzara wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:22 pm
AAA wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am
If we have to temporarily lift the freeze at Experian, for how long should this be done? Does the IRS website immediately check with Experian or could there be a delay (hours? days?)?
You cannot create an IRS account until you pass identity verification. Once you've created an account, you do not have to pass it again.
Okay, but that's not what I was asking.
Credit-based identity verification is instant.

First, you lift the freeze. Then you create an account, and they pull your credit history to check the details. You do not have a valid account until you pass. When your account has been created successfully, that means you've passed the identity verification. You can immediately freeze your credit.

Post Reply