Moving out of NYC due to pandemic

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
uberdoc

Moving out of NYC due to pandemic

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi,
I am a hospital employed surgeon in NYC with 4 years in practice. The way this current pandemic is unfolding, I am thinking about moving to some other less dense location primarily for the health of my family and myself. Getting a new job will not be that difficult but my total compensation will go down for sure. My current employment has many positives- super supportive chief of department and administration, great pay structure, good work life balance etc. My surgical outcomes are good and I have started to make a good name in the community and with referring docs. However, this pandemic is taking a heavy toll on NYC and I do get worried about its implications on our health and finances. We do not own any real estate at this time and our child is not at school going age yet.
What do you all think about this?
Thank you.

Nate79

Re: Moving out of NYC due to pandemic

Post by Nate79 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:29 pm

Sure, nothing wrong with moving out of a congested big city to a less dense, pleasant place to live.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Do not make any sudden decisions. You are too close to it and it is too soon to know how all will play out. There are many good reasons why you live in NYC. Give it time.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Consider the possibility that you could give your notice and wake up the next morning febrile, with a nonproductive cough, and test positive. Not likely, but not inconceivable.
Semper Augustus

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Why did you move to NYC in the first place? I wouldn’t over react to this too much during the thick of it. The whole world could feel very different in a month or two.

However, if you didn’t love NY in the first place then I’d say go for it. I love visiting NY but I would never want to raise a family there.

WS1

Post by WS1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 pm

If I had surgeon money I never would have left Brooklyn

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 pm

I did my training in NYC and now work with the surgeons who trained me. I am not going to find similar group of supportive people again. Also, as an early career physician, my compensation is almost at the top percentile. Otherwise, I do not have much allure for NYC as such. Everything is so expensive here and being a boglehead I do not like spending part of it at all.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:54 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 pm
I did my training in NYC and now work with the surgeons who trained me. I am not going to find similar group of supportive people again. Also, as an early career physician, my compensation is almost at the top percentile. Otherwise, I do not have much allure for NYC as such. Everything is so expensive here and being a boglehead I do not like spending part of it at all.
3-state area ain't gonna be much cheaper. You will need a couple of million to get quality housing in Westchester NY, fancy areas of NJ, or tony Connecticut. Upkeep, 2 expensive cars, the list goes on and on...

To save money you would have to move to, dare I say, the south.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:56 pm

I vote move. You have options.

Lots of nicer places to live.

Post by 123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:58 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:26 pm
...this pandemic is taking a heavy toll on NYC and I do get worried about its implications on our health and finances...
Unless you move to a very rural area it may be difficult to find an area that is not impacted "health wise" by the pandemic. Moving to such an area may not escape financial consequences of an event like a pandemic because all the boats in the harbor go down when the water recedes.

If you strive for professional stature and reward NYC is the place to be. If you relocate to a more suburban/rural area you may still shine as a physician but your universe will be much smaller.
Last edited by 123 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:59 pm

LFKB wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm
Why did you move to NYC in the first place? I wouldn’t over react to this too much during the thick of it.The whole world could feel very different in a month or two.
Yes, just look at the last month or two.

Don't overreact, but there is certainly a world outside NYC and it sounds like you could have a top tier career anywhere.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:01 pm

I vote to check out your options. You may be surprised by how little your compensation is impacted. Many lower cost of living locations have higher doctor pay due to the struggle finding folks willing to locate.

Check out your options at locations you find desirable options.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm

The specialty I work in is labor intensive and would like to have a patient population which is not obese. This literally breaks our back. So that excludes quite a few locations.

market timer

Post by market timer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Is it possible to move closer to your parents or your wife's parents? I think the nuclear family model makes people more economically fragile than a multigenerational model. Throughout history, up until the Baby Boom, multigenerational families have lived together.

bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:05 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Hi,
I am a hospital employed surgeon in NYC with 4 years in practice. The way this current pandemic is unfolding, I am thinking about moving to some other less dense location primarily for the health of my family and myself. Getting a new job will not be that difficult but my total compensation will go down for sure. My current employment has many positives- super supportive chief of department and administration, great pay structure, good work life balance etc. My surgical outcomes are good and I have started to make a good name in the community and with referring docs. However, this pandemic is taking a heavy toll on NYC and I do get worried about its implications on our health and finances. We do not own any real estate at this time and our child is not at school going age yet.
Thank you.
are you sure your comp would go down? i have heard from doctors that pay can be more outside of NYC, in places such as Texas. Im not sure what specialties though.

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Considering family ties SOCAL will be great but the state is so anti-physician, it wont be a wise move.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Sounds like you have great coworkers, you really like the work, and you’re starting to make a name for yourself not that long out of school. Plus you make (guesssing) an unearthly pile of money.

On the down side, NYC is expensive. And, the plague.

I dunno man I think the positives are really, really positive. If I were you I would do some more research, sure, but I wouldn’t make any sudden moves. Maybe give it another 6 months min before you make a decision.

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:10 pm

are you sure your comp would go down? i have heard from doctors that pay can be more outside of NYC, in places such as Texas. Im not sure what specialties though.
Basic pay outside NYC is higher for my specialty but ancillary and additional income that I receive will be gone. So total compensation will be lower.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 pm
Considering family ties SOCAL will be great but the state is so anti-physician, it wont be a wise move.
Not a physician but know quite a few. I've never heard anyone say California is anti-physician. Is it because it is litigious?
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:12 pm

Regarding less dense, is your hospital near a train station that would enable an easy commute if you move out of the city?

Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Where do you think you'll look to move to? I live in an area I have a hunch people from NYC will move to to get out of the city.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Isn't the cost of living almost as high in SOCAL?
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:14 pm

I don't blame you. I would consider the same for my family. Best of luck!

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:15 pm

LFKB wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm
Why did you move to NYC in the first place? I wouldn’t over react to this too much during the thick of it. The whole world could feel very different in a month or two.

However, if you didn’t love NY in the first place then I’d say go for it. I love visiting NY but I would never want to raise a family there.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Not that where I would raise my family is relevant to you, but I wondered why did you? If just because of your residency or where you were placed, and you'd rather have more of a say in where you live, go for it.

Good luck,

JT

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:15 pm

harrychan wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 pm
uberdoc wrote:
Not a physician but know quite a few. I've never heard anyone say California is anti-physician. Is it because it is litigious?
Very low pay...tons of regulations.

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:19 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:12 pm
Regarding less dense, is your hospital near a train station that would enable an easy commute if you move out of the city?
Train runs under the hospital but plan is to avoid train and other densely crowded areas.

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Bwlonge wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13 pm
Where do you think you'll look to move to? I live in an area I have a hunch people from NYC will move to to get out of the city.
Want to decide first if moving out of NYC will be a good move or not.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:23 pm

This might be a great time for your family to do extensive research into all the wonderful places to live and work in America. It’s a big place. Take time off and vacation to explore.

Then decide.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

market timer

Post by market timer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 pm

It is going to be fascinating to see how NYC residents react to the pandemic. I can only imagine how inconvenient it is right now for parents of young kids on lockdown in small apartments. They will be the first to leave, I expect. But you also have the young families who stretched to buy real estate in northern NJ, LI, or Westchester at prices 8x annual income. This was possible due to low mortgage rates. However, when jobs are lost, it will not be easy to keep up with mortgage and property tax payments. With education debt and then mortgage payments, the professional class seems to be kept on the brink of ruin until close to middle age. It's not a great way to live.

Topic Author
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 pm

With education debt and then mortgage payments, the professional class seems to be kept on the brink of ruin until close to middle age. It's not a great way to live.
Exactly. This constant need to earn high to keep up with high necessary expenses is very uncomfortable way to live.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:32 pm

uberdoc wrote:
My wife and I are physicians, currently practicing in Socal. I don't agree with the statement that California is anti-physician. On one metric (malpractice premiums), California has been very doctor friendly. My premiums here are 60% of what they were in Illinois. California's cap on non-economic damages topping at $250,000 in medical malpractice claims has a lot to do with it.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Would you and your family be happy in a rural, low cost of living area?
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Given today's news about 1 in 5 NYC antibody tests being positive, please get yourself and family tested for antibodies before you pull up stakes. Also, if you all are negative, other states will have outbreaks too, plus restrictions on elective surgery for a while. You know all that, but I do not think I would live through one peak only to move to a state that looks good because its hot spots have not been detected yet. Maybe wait a couple of years and think about it then.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%

Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm

I agree with those who say wait a few months before you do anything that's hard to undo. In the interim, you can do some research and put out feelers to colleagues in other parts of the country.

You should also think deeply about your reasons for wanting to move, and whether the grass will actually be greener. I've lived in several places (Michigan, California, Massachusetts, Tidewater Virginia, Northern Virginia, and now Georgia), and so far none of them are "the best" place to live. Every place has its pros and cons.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:15 pm
harrychan wrote:
uberdoc wrote:
Quick search on salary.com shows median surgeon salary in Los Angeles is $441K. In New York City, it's $421K.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/ ... angeles-ca

TigerNest

Post by TigerNest » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 pm

We are planning to move out of Manhattan this summer -- we also have young children and no real estate.

I think the city that emerges will be a very different one than it was just a few months ago. Will there be restaurants, museums, ball games, parades? I don't know.

We will all likely need to adapt to some form of social distancing for many months. I don't see how I can continue to take the packed subway to work in Midtown near Time Square every day anymore without an unacceptable level of risk.

The city is simply too dense for us to comfortably protect our health.
Last edited by TigerNest on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:44 pm

A-Commoner wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 pm
uberdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:15 pm
harrychan wrote:
uberdoc wrote:
Quick search on salary.com shows median surgeon salary in Los Angeles is $441K. In New York City, it's $421K.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/ ... angeles-ca
Correction: NYC median salary is actually $475K (421K is for another city in NY). But cost of living in NYC is also 60% higher than in LA.

https://inflationdata.com/articles/2018 ... ork-world/

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:52 pm

A couple of things.

It's difficult to leave a situation, and the people, that you know well. This applies whether you are a doctor, engineer, or whatever.
If you're good at what you do, you will do well anywhere. And we need good doctors everywhere.
If you move west (except for the west cost of course) , you will probably never move back eastward. There's a reason for that.
I know a lot of people who lived in California. They all got out except for one, a early-retired rich guy who loves San Diego.
NYC will be a mess for a while, a long while.

Actually that's more than a couple of things.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Another advantage to California is our sprawl. At least here in Los Angeles, we're not as packed as in NYC, so you will have greater distance from your neighbors and lower propensity of catching a virus or other pathogens from them. Our public transportation system in LA is not as developed as in NYC, which may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise in the context of this epidemic (no packed subway trains where people breathe into each other's faces).

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Small Savanna wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm
I agree with those who say wait a few months before you do anything that's hard to undo. In the interim, you can do some research and put out feelers to colleagues in other parts of the country.

You should also think deeply about your reasons for wanting to move, and whether the grass will actually be greener. I've lived in several places (Michigan, California, Massachusetts, Tidewater Virginia, Northern Virginia, and now Georgia), and so far none of them are "the best" place to live. Every place has its pros and cons.
+1

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:56 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 pm
With education debt and then mortgage payments, the professional class seems to be kept on the brink of ruin until close to middle age. It's not a great way to live.
Exactly. This constant need to earn high to keep up with high necessary expenses is very uncomfortable way to live.
IMO you are lucky to have the option to get out. A lot of people just don't have the means to do that.

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:00 pm

TigerNest wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 pm
We are planning to move out of Manhattan this summer -- we also have young children and no real estate.

I think the city that emerges will be a very different one than it was just a few months ago. Will there be restaurants, museums, ball games, parades? I don't know.

We will all likely need to adapt to some form of social distancing for many months. I don't see how I can continue to take the packed subway to work in Midtown near Time Square every day anymore without an unacceptable level of risk.

The city is simply too dense for us to comfortably protect our health.
I think this is also the one thing that will keep NYC from full recovering, or getting anywhere close to it. A lot of other areas of the country that are less densely populated won't have anywhere near as much trouble.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm

market timer wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 pm
It is going to be fascinating to see how NYC residents react to the pandemic. I can only imagine how inconvenient it is right now for parents of young kids on lockdown in small apartments. They will be the first to leave, I expect. But you also have the young families who stretched to buy real estate in northern NJ, LI, or Westchester at prices 8x annual income. This was possible due to low mortgage rates. However, when jobs are lost, it will not be easy to keep up with mortgage and property tax payments. With education debt and then mortgage payments, the professional class seems to be kept on the brink of ruin until close to middle age. It's not a great way to live.
It's nothing special about NY, plenty of people around the world are locked in small apartments with even tighter laws.
NYC is not in my top places to live but comparing with you dead soul average suburb and depressing little towns... there is no comparison.

t1dbkk

Post by t1dbkk » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 pm

I also live in an big city but got a small place 3h drive walking distance to the beach where I spend most my weekends and most holidays. A bit of a hassle with the commute but I think its the best of both worlds, good business and convenience stuff in the city and lifestyle away from it. Over time my job will also allow me to work more remotely. Maybe something similar would work for you? good luck

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21 pm

123 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:58 pm
uberdoc wrote:
...this pandemic is taking a heavy toll on NYC and I do get worried about its implications on our health and finances...
Unless you move to a very rural area it may be difficult to find an area that is not impacted "health wise" by the pandemic. Moving to such an area may not escape financial consequences of an event like a pandemic because all the boats in the harbor go down when the water recedes.

If you strive for professional stature and reward NYC is the place to be. If you relocate to a more suburban/rural area you may still shine as a physician but your universe will be much smaller.
We live in the mountains of western North Carolina, in an area regarded as a retirement haven (Asheville.) As of the stats I saw earlier today, we have 49 cases in the county (earlier, I saw that 34 were resolved, and that was a week and a half ago), and three deaths. Our county Health Department takes this very seriously and instituted stay-at-home orders on March 25, and it appears that they are working, in conjunction with state orders. (Note: this is killing our local economy, which is heavily dependent on entertainment and tourism.) Healthcare is among out top employment fields.

If you don’t mind a small universe, you and your family could be pretty happy here. We chose to move here over a lot of other options.

Edit to add: in case you look for areas with similar political views to yours, Asheville leans heavily and happily leftie. DH and I thought we were “woke” representatives of leftie California transplants (this is very much A Thing), but we now note that we are the only ones on our block without tattoos and without hair colors not found in nature, so we are obviously behind the curve. But then, we are in West Asheville, which is WAY leftie. The county, and South Asheville, definitely not so much. We have a ton of physicians here who seem perfectly happy.

And BTW, we are very, very happy with our choice of neighborhood. :beer
Last edited by bayview on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

clown

Post by clown » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:26 pm

NOHING is as important as your health. That argues for the move.

On the other hand, there will come a time when we have a vaccine. Don't know when, but the time WILL come. That would be a reason for staying in NYC if you absolutely love it.

On the third hand, there is a lot to be said for raising your kid(s) outside the central city, and near your parents. The kid(s) will have the blessing of really knowing the grandparents. The older you get, the more important living near the parents will become. And there will come a time when the parents get really older (maybe 70+) when they will need you close by. Not for daily care necessarily, but for occasional support.

Three hands, but there you have it!

celia

Post by celia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:32 pm

What does your spouse think? Will (s)he need to change jobs if you move? This is probably the biggest impact on any decision.

If (s)he is able to transfer to another location while staying with the same company, that may be a big plus.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:35 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Hi,
Thank you.
I think getting out of NY is a good idea regardless. Can you do it safely?

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:43 pm

How do you know you haven't already had it?

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:44 pm

uberdoc wrote:
Hi,
Thank you.
If your decision is based solely on COVID pandemic, it is not clear what will happen. NYC is much more further ahead than many parts of the country (with seroprevalence of 20%, plus neighboring areas with 15%).

If you have been considering doing so due to costs, congestion, etc, that is a different story.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.