Best Covid19 resistant job

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:10 pm

If things get worse than they are now, what are the best Covid19 resistant jobs that one could prepare for in the next 6 to 12 months, that would not require an additional college degree. Even some seemingly safe fields (i.e. nursing) appear to be at some risk due to low demand now that everyone is staying home. Besides starting the next Netflix or liquor delivery service, what other ideas do people have? Assume this person does not want to be exposed to Covid19 through grocery collection, etc.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Undertaker / mortician

User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm
Undertaker / mortician
I thought the same thing. Probably too many regulatory things to accomplish easily. I'll have to investigate--although I don't think I'd enjoy that line of work :shock: :confused :oops: :?

toofache32
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by toofache32 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Radiologist.

User avatar
MP123
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by MP123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Astronaut?

KlangFool
Posts: 16188
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by KlangFool » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 pm

OP,

If you are serious in asking for actionable advice, please tell us what degree and/or skill that you have now? I am an engineer and I work from home. Many types of IT jobs can be done from home.

KlangFool

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9278
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by JoMoney » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 pm

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm
Undertaker / mortician
I thought the same thing. Probably too many regulatory things to accomplish easily. I'll have to investigate--although I don't think I'd enjoy that line of work :shock: :confused :oops: :?
It will be interesting to see if/how much net mortality rates have changed from the lack of things like dangerous job accidents, travel accidents, and diseases that people seemed to ignore before this one (but same practices help protect against)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 8045
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by whodidntante » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm

If at all possible, get elected to a position with a large, permanent pension.
Repossess cars for a living.
Debt collector
Payday loans
Fast food
A guy who knows how to get things
Liquidator

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by greg24 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:42 pm

Zoom first tier support.

User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 pm
OP,

If you are serious in asking for actionable advice, please tell us what degree and/or skill that you have now? I am an engineer and I work from home. Many types of IT jobs can be done from home.

KlangFool
Thanks KlangFool. Half joking, half serious. I'd like to think this thing is going to have a positive resolution but sometimes I begin to worry that it could linger for years without a cure/vaccine. Currently a teacher with only a few more years before retirement. However, if many people are unable to pay state taxes and property taxes, we could see major layoffs, pay cuts, reduction in force, etc. I am pretty sure that I could navigate the downturns but I am approaching 50 and could be the victim of age discrimination, etc.

User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 pm

MP123 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:35 pm
Astronaut?
Funny. I'm afraid of heights :)

User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 pm

greg24 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:42 pm
Zoom first tier support.
Funny but true. I'll put in a resume :)

User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:45 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm
If at all possible, get elected to a position with a large, permanent pension.
Repossess cars for a living.
Debt collector
Payday loans
Fast food
A guy who knows how to get things
Liquidator
I think I'll go for: A guy who knows how to get things. That would look awesome on a business card :)

User avatar
btq96r
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by btq96r » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:53 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:30 pm
Radiologist.
I help run a Radiology practice, and across the industry groups are getting a COVID kick in the junk with outpatient imaging and elective procedures that use imaging guidance on hold. Very similar to how hospitals are facing cash crunches without high paying surgeries being done. ED visits are down as well, people seem to be staying at home and not coming in for every boo-boo and headache. While the consensus is the patients are waiting for sites to open back up, some of them are just going to make due without the scans they would have had. Women at low risk who will skip an annual mammogram this year come to mind. Some of those missed patients are going to be financial decisions with so many people out of work and lacking insurance, and we have no idea how long it'll take people to get back to work.

Radiologists still have a job reading what comes in the ED and inpatients...but it's not gonna be a lucrative year by comparison. Reading COVID chest CTs isn't closing the gap at all.
Moderation is for Canadians.

gr7070
Posts: 1026
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by gr7070 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Government! Easily.

I certainly would not make career plans with Covid-19 in mind!

I'm currently a government employee; I would not choose such a position unless it were for the actual position/career-move itself.

Iridium
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:49 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Iridium » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm

I would guess there are a number of jobs in utilities right now that are pretty secure. Cell phones, waste collection, cable, electricity, water. They all have to keep their networks operational, the labor input required is only loosely related to demand (though I suspect demand for most of those things aren't far off of normal), in some cases, they can pass any additional expenses onto customers.

KlangFool
Posts: 16188
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by KlangFool » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 pm
OP,

If you are serious in asking for actionable advice, please tell us what degree and/or skill that you have now? I am an engineer and I work from home. Many types of IT jobs can be done from home.

KlangFool
Thanks KlangFool. Half joking, half serious. I'd like to think this thing is going to have a positive resolution but sometimes I begin to worry that it could linger for years without a cure/vaccine. Currently a teacher with only a few more years before retirement. However, if many people are unable to pay state taxes and property taxes, we could see major layoffs, pay cuts, reduction in force, etc. I am pretty sure that I could navigate the downturns but I am approaching 50 and could be the victim of age discrimination, etc.
fortfun,

<<I am pretty sure that I could navigate the downturns >>

I won't be so sure of that. Many countries will go bankrupt with the current oil price. There is no reason why a state cannot go bankrupt.

<<Currently a teacher with only a few more years before retirement. >>

Learn how to teach remotely via video conferencing and so on.

KlangFool

Dude2
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Dude2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Our VP got stuck back in the US due to travel restrictions. He sent some pictures of him making a coffin in his woodshop. Made me think of one of those Clint Eastwood westerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KrsO91mfBw

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Atomic » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Iridium wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm
I would guess there are a number of jobs in utilities right now that are pretty secure. Cell phones, waste collection, cable, electricity, water. They all have to keep their networks operational, the labor input required is only loosely related to demand (though I suspect demand for most of those things aren't far off of normal), in some cases, they can pass any additional expenses onto customers.
This. I work in water/sewer/storm and demand is steady. Its not sexy, but try a day without it.

Wash your hands. Don't flush wipes. Check your flood risk.

User avatar
Topic Author
fortfun
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:21 pm

Iridium wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm
I would guess there are a number of jobs in utilities right now that are pretty secure. Cell phones, waste collection, cable, electricity, water. They all have to keep their networks operational, the labor input required is only loosely related to demand (though I suspect demand for most of those things aren't far off of normal), in some cases, they can pass any additional expenses onto customers.
Makes sense.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 18625
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:21 pm

I have a nephew who works for the USPS. His job is probably about as secure as they come.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

User avatar
btq96r
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by btq96r » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 pm

gr7070 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:01 pm
Government! Easily.

I certainly would not make career plans with Covid-19 in mind!

I'm currently a government employee; I would not choose such a position unless it were for the actual position/career-move itself.
Hope you're an "essential employee" once that definition gets kick tested some.

Financial doomsday: State, local governments face layoffs, service cuts, projects derailed
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1188246
Moderation is for Canadians.

DonIce
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by DonIce » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Join the military.

gr7070
Posts: 1026
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by gr7070 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 pm

btq96r wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 pm
gr7070 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:01 pm
Government! Easily.

I certainly would not make career plans with Covid-19 in mind!

I'm currently a government employee; I would not choose such a position unless it were for the actual position/career-move itself.
Hope you're an "essential employee" once that definition gets kick tested some.

Financial doomsday: State, local governments face layoffs, service cuts, projects derailed
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1188246
First and foremost this isn't about me. At all.
The question was for the greater public.

Of the literally millions upon millions upon millions of recently unemployed how many are government employees laid off with any remote connection to Covid-19? What, 3.7... people? Not even 3.7 thousand.

I'm an engineer, with transferable skills in an in-demand field and a solid personal finance foundation. I am not immune; but I'm highly! unlikely to be affected soon. And I'm married to a teacher. This isn't about me.
Last edited by gr7070 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gr7070
Posts: 1026
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by gr7070 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:15 pm

DonIce wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:06 pm
Join the military.
Ding! An even better, specific government job.
Last edited by gr7070 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LM3
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by LM3 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Engineer on biomedical instrumentation.

Normchad
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Normchad » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Seconding the government job. When your employer can print money, that brings a lot of job security...... I believe even when they get furloughed, they always get paid eventually for the time away.

Military might be safe from layoffs, but it is a risky but Nobel profession.

User avatar
celia
Posts: 10649
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by celia » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Something in rural areas where you are alone or few people:
Farmer
Lumberjack
Forest ranger or fire watch in the forests
Astronomer (city lights make it hard to see the skies)
Deep sea diver
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

User avatar
geerhardusvos
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 pm
Location: heavenlies

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by geerhardusvos » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:02 am

Home workout and other video instruction
Cooking blog
Cyber security is stable at most companies, especially mega corps
VTSAX and chill

User avatar
AerialWombat
Posts: 1427
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Location: Cash Canyon / Cashville

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:10 am

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm
Do you worry what will happen when many people are unable to pay taxes? My state government position (teaching) is highly dependent on people paying taxes.
Two of my four tiny businesses are 100% reliant on people not paying their taxes. When more people stop paying their taxes, these two businesses make more money (up to a point, after which everything obviously collapses).

A third company I started provides software that is used for a regulatory compliance function. When you support something that is required by law, it’s a secure place to be.

My 4th biz provides housing. No missed rents yet, and this one could get dicey perhaps. But people need places to live, so I think it’s a decently secure “job”.

There is always profit somewhere in this man-made construct we call an “economy”.

Hidjet
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Hidjet » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:52 am

Atomic wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:18 pm
Iridium wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm
I would guess there are a number of jobs in utilities right now that are pretty secure. Cell phones, waste collection, cable, electricity, water. They all have to keep their networks operational, the labor input required is only loosely related to demand (though I suspect demand for most of those things aren't far off of normal), in some cases, they can pass any additional expenses onto customers.
This. I work in water/sewer/storm and demand is steady. Its not sexy, but try a day without it.

Wash your hands. Don't flush wipes. Check your flood risk.
I will chime in here as well. I work in Water Treatment. I'm on the drinking water side, but waste/storm is also essential.
No slow downs for us right now and we are coming into our high(er) flow season with spring and summer approaching.

Only our receptionist has been told to stay home. That's out of our immediate group of 10 employees. 9 out of 10 still working everyday.

fatFIRE
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by fatFIRE » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:25 am

Amazon. Their stock price is unfazed by COVID-19!!!

palanzo
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by palanzo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:32 am

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm
fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 pm
OP,

If you are serious in asking for actionable advice, please tell us what degree and/or skill that you have now? I am an engineer and I work from home. Many types of IT jobs can be done from home.

KlangFool
Thanks KlangFool. Half joking, half serious. I'd like to think this thing is going to have a positive resolution but sometimes I begin to worry that it could linger for years without a cure/vaccine. Currently a teacher with only a few more years before retirement. However, if many people are unable to pay state taxes and property taxes, we could see major layoffs, pay cuts, reduction in force, etc. I am pretty sure that I could navigate the downturns but I am approaching 50 and could be the victim of age discrimination, etc.
fortfun,

<<I am pretty sure that I could navigate the downturns >>

I won't be so sure of that. Many countries will go bankrupt with the current oil price. There is no reason why a state cannot go bankrupt.

<<Currently a teacher with only a few more years before retirement. >>

Learn how to teach remotely via video conferencing and so on.

KlangFool
There is a very good reason why states cannot go bankrupt. Federal bankruptcy code permits cities, school districts, and other local governments to file for bankruptcy. Current Federal bankruptcy code does not permit states to file for bankruptcy.

bumbojumbo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by bumbojumbo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:39 am

The Army.

Mr. Rumples
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 am

Yard work. I leave the cash by the shed, he can either handle it or put it in a plastic bag. On a more serious note, morticians are at high risk since the virus lives on for a while in the dead body. I'd avoid the military which has stopped reporting its numbers on a base by base basis as of the end of March. Rather they are rolled into the state where they are located totals to ensure any adversary doesn't know any potential weak spots. In addition to the USS Roosevelt mentioned above, impacted carriers are the Nimitz and the Reagan. (The French flagship the Charles de Gaulle is out of commission due to the virus.) Due to virus concerns US Army deployments have been canceled and the US will not participate in a training exercise in the Baltics; the Navy's LSE 2020 (Large Scale Exercise 2020) has been postponed until 2021.

MDfan
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by MDfan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:21 am

fortfun wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 pm
OP,

If you are serious in asking for actionable advice, please tell us what degree and/or skill that you have now? I am an engineer and I work from home. Many types of IT jobs can be done from home.

KlangFool
Thanks KlangFool. Half joking, half serious. I'd like to think this thing is going to have a positive resolution but sometimes I begin to worry that it could linger for years without a cure/vaccine. Currently a teacher with only a few more years before retirement. However, if many people are unable to pay state taxes and property taxes, we could see major layoffs, pay cuts, reduction in force, etc. I am pretty sure that I could navigate the downturns but I am approaching 50 and could be the victim of age discrimination, etc.
If it "lingers for years" (which I don't believe will happen at all) at some point, we will pretty much have to just go back to normal. If you really are worried that this thing will be around for years, then I would say contact tracer would be a great job.
Last edited by MDfan on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

jharkin
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by jharkin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:22 am

........
Last edited by jharkin on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

truenorth418
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by truenorth418 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:23 am

Government worker.

More specifically, federal government worker.

vested1
Posts: 2075
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by vested1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am

Before we retired I worked as a cell site design and fiber delivery engineer. My wife worked for a mega drinking water utility. Those industries should be bulletproof.

On the flip side, which industries would be most negatively affected? Any that rely on social gathering or the interaction of large groups.

- Wedding photography (someone in my family)
- Support for professional sporting events
- Large event coordinator (another family member)
- Restaurant industry
- Movie Theaters
- Actors

The list goes on and is much longer than those that will thrive in a lockdown.

livesoft
Posts: 71459
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:04 am

The two engineers in the fam are working long hours. As far as I can tell, they are simply paid to cuss out AutoCAD all day long.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

DownToThis
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by DownToThis » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am

Do you know COBOL?

Swansea
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Swansea » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:24 am

Bus driver on the route going by my house. Total number of passengers on the last 20+ trips, 1, and passengers must board from the side and can not get within 15 feet of the driver due to a barrier...

veggivet
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:07 pm
Location: New England

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by veggivet » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 am

Since you're a teacher, have you considered starting a remote tutoring service? I know plenty of parents who have thrown in the towel at this point with home schooling.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63035
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:37 am

I removed an off-topic post and reply regarding military deployment to a certain location. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
I also removed an additional off-topic post (not a job).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tj218
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by tj218 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 am

Teacher here. I feel secure, for now but if it really drags out 18 months I could see a scenairo where districts consolidate.

My wife is a county gov employee in the human services field, her entire program may get axed. We thought both of our positions were secure. It is becoming evident that not all .gov jobs are equal. Police, firefighter you are probably all set though.

WJW
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by WJW » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 am

Politician, police, fire, paramedic.

BV3273
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by BV3273 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:53 am

btq96r wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:53 pm
toofache32 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:30 pm
Radiologist.
I help run a Radiology practice, and across the industry groups are getting a COVID kick in the junk with outpatient imaging and elective procedures that use imaging guidance on hold. Very similar to how hospitals are facing cash crunches without high paying surgeries being done. ED visits are down as well, people seem to be staying at home and not coming in for every boo-boo and headache. While the consensus is the patients are waiting for sites to open back up, some of them are just going to make due without the scans they would have had. Women at low risk who will skip an annual mammogram this year come to mind. Some of those missed patients are going to be financial decisions with so many people out of work and lacking insurance, and we have no idea how long it'll take people to get back to work.

Radiologists still have a job reading what comes in the ED and inpatients...but it's not gonna be a lucrative year by comparison. Reading COVID chest CTs isn't closing the gap at all.
+1

I sell devices to radiologists. It’s been completely dead. The only business I have been getting it some devices for high risk patients that need certain procedures done immediately.

Superleaf444
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Superleaf444 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:54 am

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 pm
Media or government personality going on TV telling people to stay home for weeks until some 'curve' is bent :confused
Media is getting decimated, save the top of the top. Anything that isn't CNN, Fox News, etc., is doing massive layoffs or furloughs. And even if you are at one of the safer places, say ABC, Disney has already said they are furloughing people. So people like David Muir might be okay, but every else there will be hurt.

I've noticed a ton of people saying government in general. Do you all think those jobs will be safe? I'm not talking the personalities mentioned above, but more so reg government workers. In my city they have already announced massive cuts to city jobs, because of the loss of tax revenue.

I figured healthcare would be safe, but since a lot of healthcare makes money off nonessential medical treatment, they are also hurting. I keep seeing stories about hospitals laying people off. :(


Anyway, I do think many of the trade industries will be okay. Plumbers, electrical work, etc. Amazon warehouse workers and grocery stores as well. I hear estate planning is doing v well.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 11795
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:56 am

DownToThis wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am
Do you know COBOL?
Interesting....

My 19 year old told me he's learning Cobol for a class he's tutoring this coming summer.

Another programming language of the past, Fortran is used in virtually all finite element analysis modeling tools. My 23 year old finishes his Bachelor's in 3 weeks and will be working as a Structural Engineer.

As KlangFool stated....IT support is an excellent job for "work anywhere". My company's IT is in the Philippines and I've had to contact them during Covid for an issue I had. They could have been in our company mother ship, for all I knew except the engineer let me know that he was working from home.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 10677
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Best Covid19 resistant job

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 am

Covid Resistant or isolated employment:

Roofer
Web Design Consultant
Any online only web based field. IE: teaching, consulting, IT, etc.
Day Trader: solo, online.
FOREX Trader: solo, online.
Landscaper, solo yard person.
House Painter
Lineman
Logger
Diver

One person/owner tanker truck Septic Tank Pumping business. (nobody goes near you) :shock:

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Post Reply