H&R Block PC software not letting me e-file with foreign address

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
freelancer

H&R Block PC software not letting me e-file with foreign address

Post by freelancer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:29 pm

I have a foreign address and I worked for a part of 2019 in a foreign country.
H&R Block is not letting me e-file my US return and is showing these 2 errors:
"Required information: Daytime (work) phone number"
Form 1116: "Inconsistency: You can't e-file if you have other foreign taxes in column p"

I managed to chat with HR Block support and they said that the PC software does not support e-filing but the online version does. I'm not inclined to pay them a second time without a guarantee that it'll actually work.

Is there another tax software that allows e-filing using a foreign address?

Thank you.

mhalley

Re: H&R Block PC software not letting me e-file with foreign address

Post by mhalley » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 pm

A quick google search shows efile.com
Income Tax Returns If You Work, Live Abroad
Generally, US Citizens get taxes on their world wide income regardless where they reside. You can claim foreign tax credits on your IRS Income Tax Return.
You can prepare and e-file your tax return if you work and/or live abroad. The IRS highly recommends e-filing because it's easier, faster, and more secure than filing on paper. If you are an American citizen or U.S. resident alien living and/or working overseas, you can prepare and e-File the following federal tax forms on eFile.com:

Form 1040
1040 Individual Income Tax Return
Form 1040-ES
Estimated Tax for Individuals
Form 1099-DIV
Dividends and Distributions
Form 1099-INT
Interest Income for Schedule B
Form 1116
Foreign Tax Credit
Form 2555
Foreign Earned Income
Form 3903
Moving Expenses
Form 4868
Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Form 8938
Statement of Foreign Financial Assets
Form 8839
Qualified Adoption Expenses
Schedule A
Itemized Deductions
Schedule B
Interest and Ordinary Dividends
Schedule C
Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship)
Schedule SE
Self-Employment Tax

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:39 pm

I would try asking them to reimburse your cost for the desktop version or to comp you the online version.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Yes it's not too hard to get a refund, or to get them to give you a credit for the online version (I've done both), if they are reluctant just push harder, but of course politely.

plats

Post by plats » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:37 pm

"Is there another tax software that allows e-filing using a foreign address?"
TurboTax. Basic is enough.

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Neither issue raised by the software appears to have anything to do with you having a foreign address. It's objecting to you not having provided a daytime phone number and the presence of data in Form 1116 column p which is "other foreign taxes paid or accrued" in a foreign currency.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 pm

plats wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:37 pm
TT plays it's own games, and is not better than HRB in this regard, just different games with different features .

plats

Post by plats » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:51 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 pm
plats wrote:
TT plays it's own games, and is not better than HRB in this regard, just different games with different features .
HRB could not compute Computation of Capital Gain Excess on the Foreign Earned Income Tax Worksheet when I tried it in the past. It told me to do it myself, which is tough. $10 down the drain.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:14 pm

plats wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:51 pm
nalor511 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 pm
plats wrote:
HRB could not compute Computation of Capital Gain Excess on the Foreign Earned Income Tax Worksheet when I tried it in the past. It told me to do it myself, which is tough. $10 down the drain.
It's gotten better I guess. FTC is always going to be complicated tho

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:21 pm

The phone number issue can be gotten around by getting a google voice number or similar and using that. Since I switched from turbo tax a few years ago, the block program has never let me e-file from abroad, but turbo tax never did either. I'm not sure why neither let me e-file, there was never a specific enough message, just rejected after e-filing saying you can't e-file at this time, try later. I just printed and mailed, which works.

But that's hardly satisfactory if one is trying to e-file quickly this year to accelerate a stimulus payment.
Regards, | | Guy

Topic Author
freelancer

Post by freelancer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm trying to e-file using turbotax but HRB and TT show different calculations for foreign tax credit. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions about which is the correct calculation? I saw a discrepancy in AMT calculations as well.
Last edited by freelancer on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 pm

You need to show the whole form, or at least that whole worksheet. Obviously your line 18 is coming out different.

Topic Author
freelancer

Post by freelancer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:46 pm

deleted

jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Not wanting to start another thread on H&R Block and Form 1116, I'll simply add this here in case someone else comes across the same problem and this problem/solution hits in a search. I am using H&R Block PC software as well. Tax year 2018 was my first time with H&R Block and its implementation of Form 1116 leaves A LOT to be desired unfortunately. I was able to slug through it and figured 2019 would be a bit easier.

I have two places where I pay foreign tax. One is 1099-DIV and the other is a K-1 that is categorized as foreign branch. I think this necessitates two Form 1116s. I don't get my K-1 until after April 15 so I put in all my information and then eventually add in the K-1. My 1099-DIV foreign tax is $592 which is less than the $600 for MFJ so for this year H&R Block simply put the $592 on Schedule 3 (no Form 1116 reqd).

Once I received the K-1, I entered the information. The software interviewed me for my Form 1116 during the entry of the K-1. I answered the questions and proceeded to review my paper tax return.

When I came across Schedule 3 I noticed that the amount I was given credit for was only the FTC from my K-1. I confirmed that my 1099-DIV was showing up correctly in other places. My first step was to delete both 1099-DIV and K-1 and enter them again. Same issue. Then I deleted both and entered them in reverse order (K-1 then 1099-DIV). Same issue. Then I opened up Form 1116 and added another copy for the passive (1099-DIV) income and proceeded to enter the data manually. As soon as I did this I was notified that I would not be able to efile.

Thinking then that I was going down the wrong path, I deleted Form 1116 along with the 1099-DIV and K-1. I reentered the 1099-DIV and K-1 and verified I was seeing the same issue (only one Form 1116 showing the data for the K1 along with a credit on schedule 3 showing the foreign tax from the K-1). I then clicked on the Credits tab. On this tab I clicked on "Go To" for Foreign Tax Credit. It had my Form 1116 listed for my K-1. I simply clicked "Add Form 1116" and it proceeded to "pick up" the data from 1099-DIV.

So moral of the story is that if you have missing foreign tax credit money and you've entered all your forms correctly, you might need to actually go to the Foreign Tax Credit topic in the Credits section.