IRS Get My Payment up and running

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
asset_chaos

Re: IRS Get My Payment up and running

Post by asset_chaos » Fri May 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Perhaps particularly pertinent to Americans with overseas addresses.

I stopped trying for several days, but tried again today and finally got through. I had the information does not match our records error on the first page for a month. I have an overseas address, and even though the instructions for street address specifically say do not enter city/town, what finally worked was adding the city at the end of my street address, e.g. 3 Main St Richmond, instead of only 3 Main St.

After that the only other problem came with entering 2019 AGI for security question, which they said didn't match their records. But at least there the IRS suggested reentering with 2018 information, and that worked. Clearly they haven't yet processed the 2019 return I filed in late February.

It accepted my bank information, and I'm good to go. I've done all I can, and the rest is up to the IRS, whenever they get around to sending the payment.
Regards, | | Guy

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Fri May 08, 2020 11:29 pm

I give up.

The site tells me that:
You are eligible for this payment. We do not have enough information to direct deposit your payment at this time.
So the next page asks me for my Adjusted Gross Income, the amount of my refund, my bank routing number, and my bank account number. I enter all of those in. I use 2018 figures since I have not filed a 2019 return yet. BTW, I'm a former tax accountant and I prepared our 2018 return and I KNOW I have entered my numbers correctly. Moreover, the banking information is identical to what I used on our 2018 form.

The web site's response:
The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again.
:confused :annoyed

So I'll wait to see what happens. The thing that may be causing a glitch: I filed a joint tax return in 2018. My husband passed away that year so it was a final joint return for us.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 am

Has the following happened to anyone and can you explain it?

I entered my Direct Deposit info on May 5th. I got the "You have successfully submitted your bank account information. Your payment will be direct deposited into your bank account using the information you provided" success message with my bank info below. I checked it every day after that, and got the message about how it will update the status of the payment at some point. I go to check it this morning, and the status is that "We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 15th, 2020 to the address we have on file for you." What??? I gave my DD info 4 days ago, so what was the point of that?

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat May 09, 2020 9:43 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 am

I entered my Direct Deposit info on May 5th. I got the "You have successfully submitted your bank account information. Your payment will be direct deposited into your bank account using the information you provided" success message with my bank info below. I checked it every day after that, and got the message about how it will update the status of the payment at some point. I go to check it this morning, and the status is that "We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 15th, 2020 to the address we have on file for you." What??? I gave my DD info 4 days ago, so what was the point of that?
Same thing happened for the information I entered successfully for my mom. The check arrived one day before it was to have been mailed. We entered our information and received ours via deposit a week later than hers.

Cheers

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat May 09, 2020 9:44 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 am

Same thing happened for the information I entered successfully for my mom. Good news is that the check arrived one day before it was to have been mailed. We entered our information at the same time and received ours via deposit a week later than hers.

Cheers

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Sat May 09, 2020 9:47 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:43 am
Same thing happened for the information I entered successfully for my mom. The check arrived one day before it was to have been mailed. We entered our information and received ours via deposit a week later than hers.
Any idea the explanation for it? Previous to today, each day it said it would DD the money to my banking account with the last 4 of my bank account shown below the message. Now all of sudden, it's coming via mail? Frustrating.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat May 09, 2020 9:52 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:47 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Any idea the explanation for it? Previous to today, each day it said it would DD the money to my banking account with the last 4 of my bank account shown below the message. Now all of sudden, it's coming via mail? Frustrating.
Sorry no idea why.

Cheers

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:46 am

According to the Get My Payment site DW and I will get our $1,200 ea deposited to my account on Wednesday, May 13.

FWIW, we receive our SS deposits on the third Wednesday of the month. The stimulus deposit will be on the second Wednesday of the month.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 am

DiggleRex wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:47 am
Silk McCue wrote:
My DD arrived last Wednesday.

After I got my data to match, an info link advised of a Tuesday noon cutoff for updates to be used for the weekly processing. I learned of my date last Saturday. If you didn't make the cutoff, it would be delayed until the following Saturday. Perhaps you were already in this week's queue.

At least you now have a date and can watch the mailbox. It could have been a problem for me, as my mailing address has changed and it seems that the system is using an older address file from the post office -- and not from any tax return or other forms I've filed.

karthikkk

Post by karthikkk » Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 am

HI,
I have the same problem from a month. Did you also enter the ZIP COde or left it blank?

Thanks.

asset_chaos wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:34 pm

I stopped trying for several days, but tried again today and finally got through. I had the information does not match our records error on the first page for a month. I have an overseas address, and even though the instructions for street address specifically say do not enter city/town, what finally worked was adding the city at the end of my street address, e.g. 3 Main St Richmond, instead of only 3 Main St.

After that the only other problem came with entering 2019 AGI for security question, which they said didn't match their records. But at least there the IRS suggested reentering with 2018 information, and that worked. Clearly they haven't yet processed the 2019 return I filed in late February.

It accepted my bank information, and I'm good to go. I've done all I can, and the rest is up to the IRS, whenever they get around to sending the payment.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Sun May 10, 2020 5:10 pm

karthikkk wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 am
HI,
I have the same problem from a month. Did you also enter the ZIP COde or left it blank?

Thanks.

asset_chaos wrote:

I put my non-US post code in the separate box for it.
Regards, | | Guy

karthikkk

Post by karthikkk » Mon May 11, 2020 4:10 am

Still unlucky. :-( Same problem as before, "the information does not match our records"

April 13 is the last date to enter, so I have given up hope now.

Thanks.

asset_chaos wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:10 pm
karthikkk wrote:
HI,

Thanks.

asset_chaos wrote:

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Mon May 11, 2020 5:07 am

karthikkk wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:10 am
Still unlucky. :-( Same problem as before, "the information does not match our records"

April 13 is the last date to enter, so I have given up hope now.

Thanks.

asset_chaos wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:10 pm
karthikkk wrote:
HI,

Thanks.

asset_chaos wrote:

No worries. That's certainly inconvenient. I suspect for non-US addreses especially there are a lot of data transcription errors in IRS databases---and no way to even ask to have the error corrected. Hang in there and stay well.
Regards, | | Guy

chemocean

Get your payment fixed for applying refund to estimated taxes

Post by chemocean » Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 am

I had my refund applied to next year taxes and could not get "Get your payment" to work because the data that I entered was incorrect. Gave up weeks ago.
Saw an article that Wednesday is the last day to enter bank data in Get your payment".
Tried "Get your Payment" one last time and it worked.
The website was fixed to address applying estimated taxes.
One needs to enter "0" in total refund if all your excess tax payments were applied to 2020 estimated taxes

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 am

^^^ I merged chemocean's post into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dokeeffe

Post by dokeeffe » Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am

My parents in-law are have a problem getting in to the Get my Payment site

They are receiving Social security (to their bank account) but also have other income and file taxes each year, they always owe money (and hence have never given the IRS their bank account information)

When entering the information into the first screen they get the following message
"The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again."

After retyping or trying different variations of their address they eventually get
"Please Try Again Later

We are unable to provide you with the status of your payment or perform the action requested because:

The tax return information you entered does not match our records; or
You have already accessed the system the maximum number of times today.

Please come back after 24 hours and try again.

If you need additional help, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page."

They have entered the address exactly as-is from their 1040 and also tried variations (St. / Street etc.). They have tried this over multiple days

As there is a deadline coming up is their any way to resolve this issue? Has anyone resolved this problem by something other than "keep trying"?

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:12 pm

dokeeffe wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am
My parents in-law are have a problem getting in to the Get my Payment site

They are receiving Social security (to their bank account) but also have other income and file taxes each year, they always owe money (and hence have never given the IRS their bank account information)

When entering the information into the first screen they get the following message
"The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again."

After retyping or trying different variations of their address they eventually get
"Please Try Again Later

We are unable to provide you with the status of your payment or perform the action requested because:

The tax return information you entered does not match our records; or
You have already accessed the system the maximum number of times today.

Please come back after 24 hours and try again.

If you need additional help, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page."

They have entered the address exactly as-is from their 1040 and also tried variations (St. / Street etc.). They have tried this over multiple days

As there is a deadline coming up is their any way to resolve this issue? Has anyone resolved this problem by something other than "keep trying"?
I had that problem. I created an online account and looked at the schedule of payments made. It showed the payments submitted with tax returns and estimated tax payments. And it had an address that I had never provided to the IRS or SS. It was a temporary forwarding address from last fall. My guess is that the IRS is using outdated info from the post office.

And I could see that while my payment was credited, my 2019 tax return was not yet processed. I was also able to pull a transcript for 2018, and confirmed that it agreed with the copy in my files. So I knew to use 2018 data for matching.

While the deadline is past, you might still be able to check the status. It will be good to know when to watch the mailbox.

venus_06

Post by venus_06 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am

Is anyone else still having trouble with "Payment Status not available" message on the Get my Payment tool?
I know based on my AGI I should qualify, and I've filed both 2018 and 2019 returns and used DD for those returns. I've tried many variations of my address but am never able to get past that page. Now that the deadline to enter bank information has passed, am I just stuck with waiting for a paper check now?

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Fri May 15, 2020 10:22 pm

I got to log in and have my bank info finally accepted on 9 May, as it turned out just a few days before the deadline. This morning I see the deposit is scheduled for 20 May. That may be close to the last batch of direct deposits.
Regards, | | Guy

theta

Post by theta » Thu May 21, 2020 6:22 am

Just an information note, in case anyone tries to call the IRS 800 number.

They do not have the ability to look at your individual record. All they do is give general advice. They told me I might still get a stimulus check. Gosh, thanks.

In case anyone is in the same boat as me, I had a Roth conversion in 2018 that pushed me over the limit. My 2019 income was well under the limit. Now I get “payment status not available”.

I think my only option is to wait, and maybe do something in my 2020 tax return...