IRS Get My Payment up and running

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Alan S.

Re: IRS Get My Payment up and running

Post by Alan S. »

Has anyone here received their rebate who is subject to AGI income phaseout?
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

The IRS finally has my payment date -- April 30. I provided my direct deposit information the first day the site was up.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

McGilicutty wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:58 pm The IRS finally has my payment date -- April 30. I provided my direct deposit information the first day the site was up.
Same for me.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

+1.
We scheduled your payment to be deposited on April 30, 2020 to the bank account below.
Earlier today it was still showing "when we have the date, we will tell you" message - so the update happened sometime before 10 PM PST.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I tried again just now and I'm in the April 30 club. :sharebeer
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Yooper wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 pm Filed via TurboTax for 2018 and 2019 tax years. Got a direct deposit refund for 2018 taxes, paid taxes due via direct debit for 2019. Went to Get My Payment on the 15th and lo and behold they said they needed my banking information.... Provided it. Now GMP shows that I'm eligible for payment, but no date yet and no payment received. According to the link provided by Michael Patrick, I should see something this week.
OK, finally got a message this morning that "We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 04, 2020 to the address we have on file for you. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment." Not sure why they're doing that, when all the previous messages stated it will be direct deposited to the account number I provided them, but there you have it.
bgf

Post by bgf »

third day in a row i've tried, and again it keeps telling me the records dont match... the address isn't the problem because it gets me to the page where it asks for AGI and amount owed. i type in AGI as it is on line 7 and then amount owed as it is on line 22, no commas, etc.

still says it doesn't match. i have no idea what to do at this point. my paper return shows the same two numbers every time i open it up, and i type in the same numbers on the website every morning, and i get the same error message.

:confused

edit*

i was about to email by CPA, when i saw an old email from me to him asking him about a check i received from the US Treasury giving me a refund of $18.00... I emailed him about it because I owed about $1500 for 2018. neither of us could figure out why I received the check for $18.00. I cashed it.

Tomorrow I'll try it with a refund amount of $18.00 rather than the owed amount as shown on my return. I had totally forgotten about that check.
Last edited by bgf on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Topic Author
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Also received the April 30 deposit date.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Made it work today after many attempts. In case helpful here are the details.

We're nowhere near SS. MFJ.
2018 filed, 2019 not filed.
$0 refund (was owed, but carried it forward).

- Used the USPS-formatted address (thanks for that tip), including all words capitalized. That finally got me in.
- On the next page, entered "owed a refund" then $0 for amount of refund.

Hope that helps someone.
Last edited by linuxizer on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

Am subject to AGI phaseout and got notice of DD deposit April 30.
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
HateIRSandChase

Post by HateIRSandChase »

Not sure if this will help anyone, but here’s how I finally got it to work. I had been entering my AGI and amount owed from my tax return and thought I was losing my mind because the IRS said it wasn’t matching up with their records. I decided to look at my tax transcript which you can get on the IRS site, and on the transcript, the amount owed line said 0 rather than the number listed on my tax return. I used 0 instead and it finally worked.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

When I first tried to go through this process several days ago, I kept getting the now-infamous "we can't tell whether you qualify or not" message. A couple of days ago, that changed, now it says "your information doesn't match what we have on file". This is with me just entering SSN etc, no income figure requested.

I did try to get onto my account at irs.gov to look at an earlier return, but the system said it was down. I'll try again later.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Kurmudjon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am Am subject to AGI phaseout and got notice of DD deposit April 30.
When did you update your DD info (if you needed to)?

I am one of the folks that was unable to enter DD info until Friday (4/25), no payment status available message before that. I wonder how long it will take for DD to be scheduled. It sounds like folks who updated DD info when the site opened 4/15, are now scheduled for 4/30 DD. 2 weeks sounds better than months for a paper check...
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

2beachcombers wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:53 am
Jas wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 am Finally was able to enter bank account information using 0 for tax refund. Apparently, bug was fixed overnight.
0 worked for me too------------------finally :dollar
Did you enter owed 0 or refund 0?

IRS doesn't give more than one or two bites of the apple before locking you out. 😟
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:12 am
Jas wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 am Finally was able to enter bank account information using 0 for tax refund. Apparently, bug was fixed overnight.

IRS doesn't give more than one or two bites of the apple before locking you out. 😟
I entered: received a refund ; how much 0
It worked to complete my entry
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 am
Kurmudjon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am Am subject to AGI phaseout and got notice of DD deposit April 30.
When did you update your DD info (if you needed to)?
Updated info sometime after 4/15- would guess 4/18 or so.
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
dbr

Post by dbr »

tennisplyr wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:37 am
montanagirl wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:12 am

I entered: received a refund ; how much 0
It worked to complete my entry
I did the same keeping in mind that my actual refund was positive dollars but applied to next year's return. The amount paid back to me was zero.

Also, on addresses, we type in the street, city, and state and it still works.

I really think the disconnect was not being able to process a refund value of zero.

I mentioned before that a family member had to enter 2018 numbers to move forward. 2019 numbers produced the message that the data did not agree.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Whoa, it worked finally!

I entered owed 0, and it took the DD info but did not give me a deposit date.

Still... :beer
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

We scheduled your payment to be deposited on April 30, 2020 to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************####
Last edited by tetractys on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Many entries on the IRS FAQ page have been updated today 4/26. So if you are still having issues, please check there and see if there is any helpful information applicable to your situation.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my- ... paymentnot

Son receiving SS by direct deposit and not required to file still getting message "Payment Status Not Available":
Why am I getting "Payment Status Not Available"? [Updated: April 26, 2020]

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:
You are required to file a tax return, but:
We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
You don't usually file a return, and:
You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
You receive SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).
If you receive “Payment Status Not Available”, you will not be able to provide direct deposit information at this time. We’re working on updates to allow more people to use this feature.
We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Ditto here. Entered data on day one on the site. Payment going to checking account on 4/30/2020 they say.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
pghpens

Post by pghpens »

Mine now says April 30 as well.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:17 am Whoa, it worked finally!

I entered owed 0, and it took the DD info but did not give me a deposit date.

Still... :beer
Check back once a day to see an update. It showed up one day later for my mom but hasn’t shown up for ours yet which was submitted one day before hers. The system accepted her bank info but the notification stated it is being mailed May 1. Go figure.

Cheers
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

pghpens wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:25 am Mine now says April 30 as well.
Yep, same here.
Wings2525

Post by Wings2525 »

Alan S. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 pm Has anyone here received their rebate who is subject to AGI income phaseout?
I finally was able to enter my bank information etc. Still waiting on the DD date....
Say Ya to Da UP, eh?
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

Still says records don't match for me. I tried to create an account to view my tax account, hoping that that might clue me in to what IRS record is wrong. Instead the IRS tax account creation webpage told me, "A condtion has been identified preventing your acess to IRS online services." I believe the IRS is subtly telling me they're sending me a check, no matter what.
Regards, | | Guy
dbr

Post by dbr »

asset_chaos wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:59 pm Still says records don't match for me. I tried to create an account to view my tax account, hoping that that might clue me in to what IRS record is wrong. Instead the IRS tax account creation webpage told me, "A condtion has been identified preventing your acess to IRS online services." I believe the IRS is subtly telling me they're sending me a check, no matter what.
No idea if this applies here but if your 2019 return has not been processed yet, then the match is to your 2018 return. A family member had that problem even though he filed electronically through TurboTax and they already took his 2019 payment due from his checking account. But the 2019 data apparently is not where it needs to be yet. It worked with his 2018 return data. Also, even though his banking information is on his 2018 and 2019 returns, if that filing is via TurboTax the IRS does not have the banking data for purposes of this stipend.
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

asset_chaos wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:59 pm Still says records don't match for me. I tried to create an account to view my tax account, hoping that that might clue me in to what IRS record is wrong. Instead the IRS tax account creation webpage told me, "A condtion has been identified preventing your acess to IRS online services." I believe the IRS is subtly telling me they're sending me a check, no matter what.
My records didn't match. Several times. Waited 24+ hours to try again. In the interim, I created an ID to pull a transcript. This confirmed that my 2019 return was not yet processed. I also looked at my account balance, which showed my payments for 2019. It showed enough of my address to see that it was from an outdated address change -- not the current address, nor the address on either my 2018 return/transcript, or 2019 return, or my 2019 1040-ES Payment Voucher 4.

And even with SS being a direct deposit, I was prompted to provide bank info. Then I received a message that bank info was accepted -- and a prompt to exit. I will check tomorrow for a payment date.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

When I last tried a week or so ago, I was in the "can't determine" group upon entering SSN and address. It can't have been an address problem as all parts of my address are super short leaving no variations possible. I presume they hadn't loaded my 2018 data as I filed for an extension and only mailed it in June.

I'm also in the zero zero club, having paid the exact amount due with the extension. I therefore haven't tried the site recently.

Q: For AGI, do they want dollars only, or dollars and cents? As I file on paper, I always include cents on all IRS forms. For 2018, my AGI was $xxxxx.10 . Should I include the 10 cents, or truncate it?
spectec

Post by spectec »

Truncate it.
If that doesn't work, then round it up (it has to be one of the other)

And stop filing returns showing cents - it makes no sense. :oops:
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
bgf

Post by bgf »

HateIRSandChase wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:45 am Not sure if this will help anyone, but here’s how I finally got it to work. I had been entering my AGI and amount owed from my tax return and thought I was losing my mind because the IRS said it wasn’t matching up with their records. I decided to look at my tax transcript which you can get on the IRS site, and on the transcript, the amount owed line said 0 rather than the number listed on my tax return. I used 0 instead and it finally worked.
I'm in the same boat. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to set up an account and do the same thing. I should be able to see my 2018 transcript right?
acljump

Post by acljump »

The "Get My Payment" tool updated my status saying direct deposit will happen on 4/30. Now to see if it actually happens then.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Alan S. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:21 pm Has anyone here received their rebate who is subject to AGI income phaseout?
Yes, direct deposited on April 15 for about 25% of the max.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
MnD

Post by MnD »

My son was finally able to get past the dead end status message and enter his bank info on Friday April 25 and the system said it accepted it.
Today 4/27 the system updated to say he will be getting a paper check mailed and it will likely go to an old address since that's the one on his 2018 return. :confused
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

bgf wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 am third day in a row i've tried, and again it keeps telling me the records dont match... the address isn't the problem because it gets me to the page where it asks for AGI and amount owed. i type in AGI as it is on line 7 and then amount owed as it is on line 22, no commas, etc.

still says it doesn't match. i have no idea what to do at this point. my paper return shows the same two numbers every time i open it up, and i type in the same numbers on the website every morning, and i get the same error message.

edit*

i was about to email by CPA, when i saw an old email from me to him asking him about a check i received from the US Treasury giving me a refund of $18.00... I emailed him about it because I owed about $1500 for 2018. neither of us could figure out why I received the check for $18.00. I cashed it.

Tomorrow I'll try it with a refund amount of $18.00 rather than the owed amount as shown on my return. I had totally forgotten about that check.
I also received a check-w/o explanation except it did say on the check, 2019 Refund. I surmised that they found an error in my favor and sent the refund. Consistently, when the IRS has found an error, a letter is sent with explanation. I've been waiting 3+ weeks. I also originally applied the over tax paid to apply for 2020. Hence, 0 refund, 0 tax.

Tried what you mentioned above--does not work. I calculated the hypothetical AGI(including refund) at my marginal tax rate and subtracted from the original AGI-- did not work. tried all combinations of AGI and refunds-----After several iterations, I gave up.
Sat. I re-entered all my original AGI with 0 refund--and it worked, they replied, DD to your account xxxx.(apparent software fix fri night)

Wish u luck. We all need a little patience, this was a time constrained, big load on the IRS. And another good reason to privatize.

THANKs to all the persistent Bogleheads. :sharebeer
bgf

Post by bgf »

2beachcombers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 am
bgf wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 am third day in a row i've tried, and again it keeps telling me the records dont match... the address isn't the problem because it gets me to the page where it asks for AGI and amount owed. i type in AGI as it is on line 7 and then amount owed as it is on line 22, no commas, etc.

edit*

I also received a check-w/o explanation except it did say on the check, 2019 Refund. I surmised that they found an error in my favor and sent the refund. Consistently, when the IRS has found an error, a letter is sent with explanation. I've been waiting 3+ weeks. I also originally applied the over tax paid to apply for 2020. Hence, 0 refund, 0 tax.

Tried what you mentioned above--does not work. I calculated the hypothetical AGI(including refund) at my marginal tax rate and subtracted from the original AGI-- did not work. tried all combinations of AGI and refunds-----After several iterations, I gave up.
Sat. I re-entered all my original AGI with 0 refund--and it worked, they replied, DD to your account xxxx.(apparent software fix fri night)

Wish u luck. We all need a little patience, this was a time constrained, big load on the IRS. And another good reason to privatize.

Thank you. Yes, tomorrow I'm going to try 2018 AGI with refund of 0 and if that fails then owed of 0. If those STILL don't work ill create an account to check the transcript...

At this rate I'll have legitimately earned my check given the time I've spent...
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

Another data point ....

Relative filed MFJ for 2018 in Spring 2019. Spouse passed away in 2019.
Filed a 1040X for 2018 return in mid-December, 2019 due to finding error in originally filed return. 1040X clearly stated that spouse had passed away.

Stimulus payment direct deposited to checking account on 4.15 with amount calculated based on the AGI (> $ 150k) listed on the 1040X filed in December, 2019. :)

Stimulus amount was calculated as if spouse had not passed away. :oops:

Will await guidance on possible "clawback".
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

spectec wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 am
boomer_techie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:25 am Q: For AGI, do they want dollars only, or dollars and cents? As I file on paper, I always include cents on all IRS forms. For 2018, my AGI was $xxxxx.10 . Should I include the 10 cents, or truncate it?
And stop filing returns showing cents - it makes no sense. :oops:
Hey, the IRS page worked for me - direct deposit set up!

For anyone else with my question, the site specifically asked for just a dollar amount - no cents. I think it also asked to round if needed. At any rate, the instructions were clear.
spectec wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 am And stop filing returns showing cents - it makes no sense. :oops:
With a plethora of inputs all having cents, I find it easier to just do the whole return with cents. My state now requires dollar rounding. My spreadsheet to calculate state taxes is a nightmare of ROUND(n,0) functions. It requires a careful reading of the instructions. Programming in the rounding has taken more time than I'll ever spend transcribing cent amounts.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

boomer_techie wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:01 am With a plethora of inputs all having cents, I find it easier to just do the whole return with cents. My state now requires dollar rounding. My spreadsheet to calculate state taxes is a nightmare of ROUND(n,0) functions. It requires a careful reading of the instructions. Programming in the rounding has taken more time than I'll ever spend transcribing cent amounts.
Why would you possibly want to go to all that trouble. Even if you insist on doing your return manually and mailing paper forms. Use the IRS' Free File Fillable Forms to fill out your various forms. It will do rounding to IRS requirements, automatically transfer relevant Schedule and Form fields, do cross Schedule/Form/Field validations and arithmetic.

You don't have to e-file, you can simply print out and mail the return.
bgf

Post by bgf »

bgf wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:39 pm
2beachcombers wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 am

edit*

Thank you. Yes, tomorrow I'm going to try 2018 AGI with refund of 0 and if that fails then owed of 0. If those STILL don't work ill create an account to check the transcript...

At this rate I'll have legitimately earned my check given the time I've spent...
Finally!

Refund of 0 didn't work.
Owed 0 didn't work.

What finally worked was subtracting the amount they sent me by check from what was owed according to my return.
Topic Author
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

boomer_techie wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:01 am
With a plethora of inputs all having cents, I find it easier to just do the whole return with cents. My state now requires dollar rounding. My spreadsheet to calculate state taxes is a nightmare of ROUND(n,0) functions. It requires a careful reading of the instructions. Programming in the rounding has taken more time than I'll ever spend transcribing cent amounts.
But doing spreadsheets is fun! I recently added an option to my tax spreadsheet where I can switch between rounding to dollars and rounding to cents. (Actually just changed to ROUND(n,m))
HateIRSandChase

Post by HateIRSandChase »

bgf wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:59 am
HateIRSandChase wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:45 am Not sure if this will help anyone, but here’s how I finally got it to work. I had been entering my AGI and amount owed from my tax return and thought I was losing my mind because the IRS said it wasn’t matching up with their records. I decided to look at my tax transcript which you can get on the IRS site, and on the transcript, the amount owed line said 0 rather than the number listed on my tax return. I used 0 instead and it finally worked.
I'm in the same boat. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to set up an account and do the same thing. I should be able to see my 2018 transcript right?
Yes. There should be a link that allows you to pull up your 2018 transcript and review the line items re: whether it states you owed or had a refund and how much.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

finally got mine to allow me to submit bank info so hopefully it gets deposited in the next 2 weeks
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

sawdust60 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:09 am
My records didn't match. Several times. Waited 24+ hours to try again. In the interim, I created an ID to pull a transcript. This confirmed that my 2019 return was not yet processed. I also looked at my account balance, which showed my payments for 2019. It showed enough of my address to see that it was from an outdated address change -- not the current address, nor the address on either my 2018 return/transcript, or 2019 return, or my 2019 1040-ES Payment Voucher 4.

And even with SS being a direct deposit, I was prompted to provide bank info. Then I received a message that bank info was accepted -- and a prompt to exit. I will check tomorrow for a payment date.
Thanks. I tried to create the account to pull a transcript too, but there I just get the cryptic "A condtion has been identified preventing your acess to IRS online services." I've tried old addresses, but I'm still stymied on all fronts. It's a good thing I don't have an urgent need for stimulus.
Regards, | | Guy
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Like a lot of others on here, I finally got through and successfully entered my banking info last Friday, April 24.

Has anybody who entered banking info last Friday been able to get an update on when the deposit is scheduled? I know people who entered their info prior to either the 23rd or 22nd are scheduled to receive their deposits today, but I'm wondering when the next batch of electronic deposits will be scheduled for - or if we know that yet.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

asset_chaos wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:12 pm
sawdust60 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:09 am

Thanks. I tried to create the account to pull a transcript too, but there I just get the cryptic "A condtion has been identified preventing your acess to IRS online services." I've tried old addresses, but I'm still stymied on all fronts. It's a good thing I don't have an urgent need for stimulus.
Do you have a credit freeze on? I think I had unfreeze my Experian credit freeze in order to create an IRS account earlier this year, but this was before all this COVID19 mayhem.
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

I have had a freeze on all for years. No problem getting DD via IRS
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Said payment was 4/30 but it hit today.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am Said payment was 4/30 but it hit today.
ACH direct deposits arrive 1 - 2 days before the "post" date. Many financial institutions including credit unions and brokerages credit them before the post date.

If your stimulus payment and/or refund arrives on the date indicated. Your bank is taking advantage of the float.
drizzleray

Post by drizzleray »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am Said payment was 4/30 but it hit today.
Same here.