Where Will Stimulus Check Go?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Where Will Stimulus Check Go?

Post by Leesbro63 »

I have a close family member who qualifies for a stimulus check. Their Social Security checks goes into one account, but the last 2 years of income tax refunds went to another. Which will be where the stimcheck goes?
Jack FFR1846

Re: Where Will Stimulus Check Go?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Where ever the refund went, that's where they go.

I got mine last Friday.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

What if there was no refund but instead had to pay?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

They will be able to go to "irs.gov" and set whatever account they want. It currently says "Coming in mid-April" - should be up today or tomorrow.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... t-payments
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

steadyhand wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:28 am What if there was no refund but instead had to pay?
whatever account was put in for the direct debit. If paid by check, have to go into IRS site and provide bank details (unless a SS recipient).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

jebmke wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:34 am
steadyhand wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:28 am What if there was no refund but instead had to pay?
whatever account was put in for the direct debit. If paid by check, have to go into IRS site and provide bank details (unless a SS recipient).
I'm the OP. The first reply was that the stimcheck would go to where the latest refund went, even if the recipient has been collecting Social Security by direct deposit (they're all direct deposit, I think, these days) into another account. Is that your understanding as well?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 am
I'm the OP. The first reply was that the stimcheck would go to where the latest refund went, even if the recipient has been collecting Social Security by direct deposit (they're all direct deposit, I think, these days) into another account. Is that your understanding as well?
I am pretty sure during yesterday's Task Force briefing at the White House that I heard Steven Mnuchin say that SS recipients would get their payments into the same account where they receive their SS payments. You can re-watch that segment or read a transcript to verify - but I know he said something about it yesterday.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

What has been publicized:

• This week, payments will be made via direct deposit to those who have bank routing information attached to their 2019 or 2018 income tax returns.

• Next week, payments will be made via direct deposit to SS recipients who did qualify for ^ first batch.

• Next week, IRS will open a portal where those who've not yet received the money can enter bank routing info

• NB: Bank registration must match IRS payment info. Single person's payment cannot go to a joint account; joint payment cannot go to a single's account.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Flobes wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 am What has been publicized:

• This week, payments will be made via direct deposit to those who have bank routing information attached to their 2019 or 2018 income tax returns.

• Next week, payments will be made via direct deposit to SS recipients who did qualify for ^ first batch.

• Next week, IRS will open a portal where those who've not yet received the money can enter bank routing info

• NB: Bank registration must match IRS payment info. Single person's payment cannot go to a joint account; joint payment cannot go to a single's account.
So, basically back to my original question, what if you are both #1 AND #2 ?
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 am
Flobes wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 am What has been publicized:

So, basically back to my original question, what if you are both #1 AND #2 ?
To restate it: they're sequential. If they qualify for this week's payment, they will not get next week's. If they 1, they won't get 2. Deposits based on tax return info go out before deposits based on SS benefits for those who did not get them based on tax return info. Payments will only be made if bank registrations match. BUT if the bank account registrations are a mismatch, then neither direct deposit will be made, but instructions can be sent to IRS it on a yet-to-be-opened IRS portal. And if that doesn't work, eventually they will get a paper check by snail mail. Is that clearer?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Flobes wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:18 am To restate it: they're sequential. If they qualify for this week's payment, they will not get next week's. If they 1, they won't get 2. Deposits based on tax return info go out before deposits based on SS benefits for those who did not get them based on tax return info.
This appears to be right and what I understood. In fact, I received a small deposit today in the account that is registered to my EFTPS account. It is the same one as my SS direct deposit but I have not had a tax refund in quite some time so it appears they look at the IRS data first, and then to social security. The IRS data may come from a direct deposit (refund), direct debit (at time of file) or apparently EFTPS (and presumably also Direct Pay).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

So how do you know if you “qualify” for week 1 vs week 2?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:15 pm So how do you know if you “qualify” for week 1 vs week 2?
If you used direct deposit or direct debit (or EFTPS) on your tax return you would be this week, I think.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 am They will be able to go to "irs.gov" and set whatever account they want. It currently says "Coming in mid-April" - should be up today or tomorrow.

Got a source for today/tomorrow or just saying that’s mid-April (I would say mid implies a wider spread)?
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I'm in this situation as well and I'm under the impression that we won't be part of that first group.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

ANSWER; The payment was received today in the account where the recent 2019 Income tax refund went. Not to where monthly Social Security checks go. They are different accounts.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

MotoTrojan wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 am They will be able to go to "irs.gov" and set whatever account they want. It currently says "Coming in mid-April" - should be up today or tomorrow.

Got a source for today/tomorrow or just saying that’s mid-April (I would say mid implies a wider spread)?
Rather than look at the source simply revisit the above link now that it is April 15 - the link to check and enter info is now live.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:16 am
MotoTrojan wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Rather than look at the source simply revisit the above link now that it is April 15 - the link to check and enter info is now live.
Thanks!

Seems you are prescient then. Will US or ex-US win over next 50 years? :)
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:16 am Rather than look at the source simply revisit the above link now that it is April 15 - the link to check and enter info is now live.
It is live, but incredibly slow. I'd say it's getting hit pretty hard right now.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:11 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:16 am Rather than look at the source simply revisit the above link now that it is April 15 - the link to check and enter info is now live.
It is live, but incredibly slow. I'd say it's getting hit pretty hard right now.
Came here to say I can't get in. I'll hang tight, not dying for the funds.
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

FYI, things may not be as "automatic" as expected. Our 2018 & 2019 tax returns both specified the same bank account, AND this same account is used for Social Security direct deposit. Still no stimulus payment as of today. Went to IRS link below, and it basically said yes, we are entitled to a stimulus payment but govt didn't know where to send it (!) so I typed in the bank acct & bank routing info to help refresh their memory.

Oh, and BTW, I fully expect that my 2019 payment due will come out of that exact same bank account on time as scheduled. And I expect my 2020 1040ES will come out as well within the next day or two.

So, my advice: If you haven't received your stimulus payment yet, visit the IRS site above and remind them of your bank account information. They need your help!

Sheesh.
csm

Post by csm »

I was able to log in and enter my information, but after doing so, received the following message:

The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again.

If you used information from your 2019 tax return, the return may not have been processed yet. Please enter information from your 2018 tax return instead and try again.

So a few points:

I have filed (MFJ) for 2019 and qualify (did not qualify under 2018). I have logged into my account with the IRS and they have recorded receipt of the 2019 return, so I know it's been processed. Also, when I logged into the payment site to enter the information, it came up with a message that I was eligible which it would not have done if the 2019 return was not on record.

I overpaid, but applied the amount to my estimated 2020 taxes.

When filling out the payment request form in the site, you must select either (1) received a refund, or (2) owed a payment. I selected "received a refund." It then asks for the amount. I tried entering the amount that was applied to 2020 and got the error message above.

Then I noticed according to the little 'information' icon that it required the value from line 21a (amount refunded to you) which on my return is -0- since I applied the overpayment to 2020 estimated tax (line 22). So I entered zero, but still got the error message above. I also tried leaving it blank with no value, and got an error message that a value must be entered.

Another confusion is that there is nothing about the spouse's information, i.e. no requirement to enter spouse SSN when it's a joint return, or to state that it is for both. In a previous post above, someone said that "Bank registration must match IRS payment info. Single person's payment cannot go to a joint account; joint payment cannot go to a single's account." In 2018 when we owed money, it was paid from my single checking account (not joint account) for our joint return. There is nothing on the IRS website, on the form, or in the FAQ that states you must use a joint account if the return was MFJ, and nowhere on the form where it requires any spouse information.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I just got in and entered the information they requested, and got this in return:
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.
:?
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:35 am I just got in and entered the information they requested, and got this in return:
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.
Same here.. and there is no way to proceed anywhere from that, or advice on what to do. I've seen quite a few similar reports on other groups....
Mako

Post by Mako »

occambogle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:42 am
oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:35 am I just got in and entered the information they requested, and got this in return:
Same here.. and there is no way to proceed anywhere from that, or advice on what to do. I've seen quite a few similar reports on other groups....
Me too, when trying for my dad. I don't get it.

I put in my own info and it correctly said that it was deposited in my account today, so the system itself works, just not for my dad :confused
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Well, I'm assuming at this point that it's just a software bug that will eventually be addressed. In the meantime, I'm not hurting for the funds, I can afford to be patient. :happy
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I checked and found my stimulus payment in my account.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Just got into the site. I have not filed my 2019 return yet and my 2018 return was paid by credit card. I got the same "we are unable to determine" message.

But I also noticed this, which differs from what was originally announced. They claimed that you would be able to change your account information. Now it looks like I will need to wait for a check (with Trump's name on it, ugh, sorry for the political comment). I guess I should work on my 2019 return, although if I owe taxes, I would charge them so they would not get my account info from there.

2018 Filers: If you need to change your account information or mailing address, file your 2019 taxes electronically as soon as possible. That is the only way to let us know your new information.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

MisterBill wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 am Just got into the site. I have not filed my 2019 return yet and my 2018 return was paid by credit card. I got the same "we are unable to determine" message.

But I also noticed this, which differs from what was originally announced. They claimed that you would be able to change your account information. Now it looks like I will need to wait for a check (with Trump's name on it, ugh, sorry for the political comment). I guess I should work on my 2019 return, although if I owe taxes, I would charge them so they would not get my account info from there.

2018 Filers: If you need to change your account information or mailing address, file your 2019 taxes electronically as soon as possible. That is the only way to let us know your new information.
But right on top of that state it says:
If we don’t have your direct deposit information from 2018 or 2019 return – and we haven’t yet sent your payment – use the Get My Payment application to let us know where to send your direct deposit.
Sounds like they need to work out a few kinks...

When I entered my info and my spouse's info it had the "Payment Status Not Available" message. I will check again tomorrow, the site is super slow, probably with everyone checking. I really do not want to wait for a paper check...
csm

Post by csm »

My husband and I filed Married Filing Jointly, with me as primary and him as the second-listed name/SSN on our return.

As stated above, when I logged into the IRS site, it confirmed my eligibility but could not confirm the information I provided to submit direct deposit information.

Curious, I tried entering his SSN and got the same message upon initial log in that I got for mine:

Need More Information
You are eligible for this payment. We do not have enough information to direct deposit your payment at this time.

Direct deposit is the fastest way to receive your payment.

Are we supposed to each fill out a payment request? There is nowhere in the form to stated that it is a MFJ tax return and our income is reported as the joint value. And when I filled out the data under my SSN, they claimed the information did not match IRS records (although logging into my normal IRS account shows the 2019 filed tax return).

Confused.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Surely with the hubbub over whose signature is on the checks some will be mailed so that someone actually sees the facsimile of the sharpie signature?
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Apparently, direct debit bank info is not acceptable for the stimulus check.

2018 return - direct deposit tax refund made to bank account
2019 return - direct debit for tax due drawn from same bank account a month ago
Today - "Get my Payment" link indicates we qualify for the stimulus deposit, but insufficient info, so I had to enter bank info along with 2019 AGI plus some other info.
papito23

Post by papito23 »

My payment was just deposited today, available immediately (went to the direct deposit acct IRS used in previous taxes)

2 adults, 2 kids = $3400
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

papito23 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:16 pm My payment was just deposited today, available immediately (went to the direct deposit acct IRS used in previous taxes)
Yes, both of my kids got theirs today.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

hicabob wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:47 am Surely with the hubbub over whose signature is on the checks some will be mailed so that someone actually sees the facsimile of the sharpie signature?
I don't think he's going to sign it (that's probably not legal). They (he) just insisted on printing his name on it.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Alan S. wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:37 am Apparently, direct debit bank info is not acceptable for the stimulus check.

Today - "Get my Payment" link indicates we qualify for the stimulus deposit, but insufficient info, so I had to enter bank info along with 2019 AGI plus some other info.
I had the same situation. But I used Direct Pay to pay IRS for the amount we owed in 2019. In this situation, should I enter 0 as the amount we owed, or the amount we paid the IRS with Direct Pay? Our line #23 was 0 for 2019 return.

I tried both with 0 as owed and 0 as refunded, IRS system didn't work for me this morning.
csm

Post by csm »

Alan S. wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:37 am Apparently, direct debit bank info is not acceptable for the stimulus check.

Alan S., did it accept your info? Was your return with your spouse, MFJ? Did you log in with just one of your SSN and fill out the information with joint tax return info?

In our case:
2018 return - owed money, gave IRS direct debit info
2019 return - overpaid, applied amount to 2020 return (0 refund)

When I log in, it says the same as you (eligible but insufficient information), but it says my info submitted doesn't match (when I'm certain it does).
OAG

Post by OAG »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 am
FYI. I filed 2019 taxes back in Jan 2020 and had a balance due and paid it. I went to the IRS Site today and entered everything they asked for (SSN, Address, Bank Routing, Bank Acct, AGI for 2019 and the amount of taxes due for 2019). IRS basically sai thanks and your payment will be sent to your bank. Did not even tell me the amount I would received (my AGI for 2019 placed me above the $75K but less than $99K. I am single. I can use a calculator but apparently the site is not programed to do that.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.