Unemployment vs. work at Amazon warehouse/CA

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Fractalleaf

Unemployment vs. work at Amazon warehouse/CA

Post by Fractalleaf »

My daughter was laid off from a part-time teaching job when schools closed in CA. She successfully applied for unemployment and if she remained unemployed she would collect $600/week in federal supplements in addition to a small amount from the state. She immediately applied for every job available and landed a spot at an Amazon fulfillment warehouse beginning next week. The work will be grueling, 10 hours per day four days per week with mandatory overtime possible. It's possible that she won't physically be able to meet the demands of the job.

Even with the current hourly rate of $17/hour, she would make more on unemployment than working at Amazon. If she finds she is unable to meet the physical demands of the new job she will have to quit, which makes her ineligible for unemployment. I'm not sure what question I'm asking, but wonder if there is some other benefit to working vs. collecting unemployment that will make the whole situation more palatable. I also wonder if she rejects the Amazon job before she starts if she would maintain unemployment benefits, or if they would be terminated since she was offered the job.

It seems quite a few people who are still working "essential" minimum wage jobs with no benefits are going to be disgruntled that others are earning more by staying home. In the grand scheme the supplemental income is good for economic recovery, but it's hard on a personal level.
Turbo29

Re: Unemployment vs. work at Amazon warehouse/CA

Post by Turbo29 »

Does Amazon offer any benefits?
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Different state and different time period, but the one time I was on unemployment, I was able to limit the job search to similar jobs to what I was previously in and limit the radius of the search. She should look into the rules. I would not think that a very risky job like Amazon would be worth taking. If she found a job teaching via video online, that should work.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

She should stay on unemployment.
Topic Author
Fractalleaf

Post by Fractalleaf »

Does Amazon offer any benefits?
She is still on our health insurance, and probably won't be there long enough to take advantage of retirement plans.

I agree she would be better off staying on unemployment but wonder if she has lost that option now that Amazon has hired her. Need to explore the possibility that the job is different enough from her previous employment to maintain her eligibility. At first the county planned to implement an online curriculum for the after school program but they have not been able to pull that off.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

The expanded unemployment only goes to the end of 2020 for now, and after that there will be millions looking for a job, especially if much of the service sector doesn't come back. So that's a reason to lock in a job now instead of unemployment. Another option is to collect unemployment and have a side hustle--I'm still making money driving for Lyft, since there are still people going to and from work, and with gig workers now eligible for unemployment, many drivers will also choose to make money staying home instead of working for much less. Being able to make side money and still qualify for unemployment depends on state reporting requirements--right now my state isn't even requiring job search.

I sit at home all day with the Lyft driver app open and wait for rides, which I'd choose over sweating away like a robot in a warehouse, with contact with more people, and in my car I can maintain airflow and wipe everything down between passengers, so the risks are reasonable for me. It can also be a good idea for retirees who don't need the income but want to get some human contacts or escape from home confinement or conflicts or simple boredom.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

From someone I know who works at Amazon ....
No-one would know she was accepted for a job there unless she told them.
If she can't meet the demands of the job she will be fired.
Warehouse attrition + fire rate is about 50% in one month, 75% in 2 months.
Job is mind numbing yet requires attention and usually physically demanding and you learn very little.

.... go for the unemployment
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

rj49 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 pm The expanded unemployment only goes to the end of 2020 for now, and after that there will be millions looking for a job, especially if much of the service sector doesn't come back. So that's a reason to lock in a job now instead of unemployment.
I thought the extra $600 was only for only up to 4 months. I've heard some say that they don't want to risk not getting their jobs back if they quit and go on unemployment for only 4 months.
learntogrow

Post by learntogrow »

This is what was mentioned that people would be incentivized to not work.

However I am on the side of it selfishly if it’s me or my family.

1.) I’ve heard Amazon is an absolutely horrible place to work.

2.) she makes more money NOT working there

3.) she stays isolated without the threat of infection

No pros to taking the job imo
k1982

Post by k1982 »

"It seems quite a few people who are still working "essential" minimum wage jobs with no benefits are going to be disgruntled that others are earning more by staying home. In the grand scheme the supplemental income is good for economic recovery, but it's hard on a personal level."

ehhhh. i'm in that situation now
working full time and still not making even close to what others are on unemployment ($600 plus their state benefits so about $1000)

i deliver pizza close to 40 hours a week. i get "seniority" and work the best shifts and i'm clearing about $450-500 after all expenses.

it drives me up the wall hearing Bogleheads encouraging unemployment
this is a bad spiral we are heading for
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

Part of accepting unemployment is looking for new work, if she looks for new work and doesn’t accept a job offered she would be breaking the law every week she fills out weekly unemployment form claiming she is actively looking for work
MrCastaway

Post by MrCastaway »

I'd recommend she continue looking for work and feel no guilt whatsoever. There is too much risk and not enough upside. Those Amazon warehouse jobs are strenuous and Amazon benefits are not good for warehouse workers. Especially right now they are being treated like cattle. Family and personal health come first. I was offered an Area Manager job out of college that would supervise ~50 pickers and packers per shift. The 1st week I would have been required to do the work of the pickers/packers so I can learn their job... pretty sure I would have quit during that 1st week.

Poorly run companies are being bailed out by the government, nothing wrong with individuals sitting at home collecting same unemployment/bailout until real employment oppurtunities present themselves.
Last edited by MrCastaway on Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

This is a simple decision and you shouldn't be discouraged by any guilt that anyone might throw your way related to not working.

If she is going to collect more not working than working, then she should obviously forego the position and continue to look for a paying job that improves her future career prospects while also providing more enumeration than that provided by unemployment. This is an economic decision so straight forward that you don't need to bother wading into any deliberations related to workplace safety or COVID-19 exposures.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

In our state, the restrictions were loosened for people filing for unemployment in that they do not have to look for work during this period as it's just going to violate the physical distancing policy. I do not know what your state's policy is on this.

I'm on the fence on this one. I get that she will make about as much money on unemployment as working. But if there are benefits to working, such as having interaction with others--even from a distance, then I think it might be good. But agree with others that it will be physically taxing. Young people can typically handle this type of work for a while. Remember, nothing lasts forever. It will get back to normal, hopefully, at some point where she will probably be working just a standard 40 hours. And she can continue, when she has the time, to keep looking for another job.
drk

Post by drk »

1130Super wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:34 pm Part of accepting unemployment is looking for new work, if she looks for new work and doesn’t accept a job offered she would be breaking the law every week she fills out weekly unemployment form claiming she is actively looking for work
Many states (CA included) have removed the requirement to look for work while receiving unemployment payments. Keeping that requirement would defeat the purpose of government-mandated stay-at-home orders.
gblack

Post by gblack »

My two cents - working good for the soul, unemployment is not. Even if job stinks, she might learn something or meet someone who influences her. I look back and don't regret any job I've ever had -- in some cases especially the bad ones.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Take the job.
fareastwarriors

I rather do Amazon Flex.
fareastwarriors

rkhusky wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:17 pm
rj49 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 pm The expanded unemployment only goes to the end of 2020 for now, and after that there will be millions looking for a job, especially if much of the service sector doesn't come back. So that's a reason to lock in a job now instead of unemployment.
I thought the extra $600 was only for only up to 4 months. I've heard some say that they don't want to risk not getting their jobs back if they quit and go on unemployment for only 4 months.
Extra $600 end on 7/31.
fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE »

Fractalleaf wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:55 pm My daughter was laid off from a part-time teaching job when schools closed in CA. She successfully applied for unemployment and if she remained unemployed she would collect $600/week in federal supplements in addition to a small amount from the state. She immediately applied for every job available and landed a spot at an Amazon fulfillment warehouse beginning next week. The work will be grueling, 10 hours per day four days per week with mandatory overtime possible. It's possible that she won't physically be able to meet the demands of the job.

Even with the current hourly rate of $17/hour, she would make more on unemployment than working at Amazon. If she finds she is unable to meet the physical demands of the new job she will have to quit, which makes her ineligible for unemployment. I'm not sure what question I'm asking, but wonder if there is some other benefit to working vs. collecting unemployment that will make the whole situation more palatable. I also wonder if she rejects the Amazon job before she starts if she would maintain unemployment benefits, or if they would be terminated since she was offered the job.

It seems quite a few people who are still working "essential" minimum wage jobs with no benefits are going to be disgruntled that others are earning more by staying home. In the grand scheme the supplemental income is good for economic recovery, but it's hard on a personal level.
How much more? If a little, I wouldn't bother. Amazon warehouse is a sweatshop. Also, increases your risk of getting coronavirus with their working conditions.

Mathematically, if probability of getting coronavirus * expenses related to coronavirus > pay difference: don't go work at Amazon.
fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE »

1130Super wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:34 pm Part of accepting unemployment is looking for new work, if she looks for new work and doesn’t accept a job offered she would be breaking the law every week she fills out weekly unemployment form claiming she is actively looking for work
And how would they know she got a job? Also you said "looking for new work", not the same as "accepting the first job offer that comes".
Last edited by fatFIRE on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Fractalleaf wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:55 pm My daughter was laid off from a part-time teaching job when schools closed in CA. She successfully applied for unemployment and if she remained unemployed she would collect $600/week in federal supplements in addition to a small amount from the state. She immediately applied for every job available and landed a spot at an Amazon fulfillment warehouse beginning next week. The work will be grueling, 10 hours per day four days per week with mandatory overtime possible. It's possible that she won't physically be able to meet the demands of the job.

Check your facts, Some sound inaccurate or non conclusive.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

OP,

She should go on unemployment and continue to look for comparable jobs. First, with schools closed the demand for online learning has increased, and she may be able to offer part time teaching from home with the help of a computer. Second, the warehouse job is a sweatshop job, most likely she will not be able to last. Third, there is risk of coronavirus when you go out and meet more people, have to touch packets, materials. Take the UI when it is offered, and use the time to find a better fit job. These are unusual times, so normal thinking will not work.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

What is the likelihood that she gets rehired to her old job next school year?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

[Quoted comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

Many of us (me for one) don't end up in our chosen profession and even if we do we can learn important lessons from elsewhere. During my working years I learned something valuable from every job I held. Some of those lessons were much more positive than others but I learned nonetheless.

One of the things I learned when I was young was that a physically demanding job can provide a great deal of satisfaction and build confidence. However, another was that a job consisting of constant repetition and no mental challenge could be intolerable. I learned how to work with many different types of people. I learned different supervisory styles. I learned that being productive gave me a sense of accomplishment. I learned the kinds of things that I liked to do and things that I didn't.

In my opinion every one of these lessons were important. The only way I could internalize them and gain from them as my work career developed was to experience them. People telling me these things could never make the same impressions on me.

I vote for take the job. You never know what impact a job will have on you and even if the experience is not a completely positive, the lessons learned can be very useful. Working is much more likely to provide helpful lessons for a young person than not working.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
bdpb

Post by bdpb »

Why did she apply for a job she can't perform? It will only drive her crazy and may cause her physical harm.

I would decline the job (assuming it doesn't cause her to lose UI) and look for something that matches her skills. She may be unemployed for a while, but if she takes the job she will likely be unemployed soon anyway.

Will the UI be more than what she was making before being laid off? Remind her to cut expenses to the bone and save all the extra so that she can survive once the UI runs out.

There are plenty of folks who aren't eligible for UI who will be glad to take the job. If Amazon can't find someone to take the job, maybe they'll raise wages.
Last edited by bdpb on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

What kind of physical shape is she in? I’ve known a couple of people that have worked at Amazon and you will probably do about 10+ miles a day of walking, as well as lifting of packages, etc. For someone in good physical shape, it is manageable. But if her fitness level is questionable, I’d probably not take the risk of starting the job and having to quit. There’s a difference here between don’t want to take the job and can’t do the job.
Topic Author
Fractalleaf

Post by Fractalleaf »

Warehouse attrition + fire rate is about 50% in one month, 75% in 2 months.
Job is mind numbing yet requires attention and usually physically demanding and you learn very little.
Wow! I didn’t realize the stats were that bad. It’s amazing they seem to operate as efficiently as they do.

I tend to agree with the opinion that something is learned from each job, if only an appreciation for the work that many are forced to accept because they don’t have alternatives.

She will be able to return to her previous job once schools are back in session, hopefully by fall. She is also halfway through a Masters program in clinical counseling, with classes taking place online now. The warehouse experience might help her relate to people in similar jobs once she begins work as a therapist.
For someone in good physical shape, it is manageable. But if her fitness level is questionable, I’d probably not take the risk of starting the job and having to quit. There’s a difference here between don’t want to take the job and can’t do the job.
She’s in pretty good physical shape but has worked only part time for several years while pursuing a Masters. The 10 hour days will be a shock, both mentally and physically.
leeks

Post by leeks »

If those are the only two choices, I absolutely say stay on unemployment. But of course she can keep looking for work-from-home opportunities (online tutoring?).

There is personal risk involved right now in such a job, and no evidence that adequate cleaning and personal protection are provided to Amazon employees. The spirit of looking for a job while on unemployment (no idea about the legal details) to me does not require taking an abnormally hazardous position outside of one's field where the employer fails to provide adequate safety measures.

Possibly she could be hired as an in-home teacher for a family. I know there are parents (with work-from-home jobs right now) who would love someone else to manage all the online schooling for their children. Assuming the family is following social distancing guidelines, having contact with one family would be preferable than the Amazon warehouse risk. If she worked at an after-school program, she might even be able to find a family whose child she already knows in need of such a person.

I have a senior relative who was working several part-time nanny gigs before the pandemic. During this time of social distancing, she has become a live-in nanny/housekeeper/teacher working 60 hours a week (by choice) and loving all the overtime pay. Since she'd be bored at home anyway, this lucrative situation works well for her and by living with the family (and temporarily replacing their normal cooking/cleaning staff), they are all able to minimize contacts outside the home.
rob

Post by rob »

Fractalleaf wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 pm She will be able to return to her previous job once schools are back in session, hopefully by fall. She is also halfway through a Masters program in clinical counseling, with classes taking place online now.
Concentrating on the masters is a FAR better use of time and energy.... Stay on UI until schools are open again - easy call.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

k1982 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:32 pm "It seems quite a few people who are still working "essential" minimum wage jobs with no benefits are going to be disgruntled that others are earning more by staying home. In the grand scheme the supplemental income is good for economic recovery, but it's hard on a personal level."

ehhhh. i'm in that situation now
working full time and still not making even close to what others are on unemployment ($600 plus their state benefits so about $1000)

i deliver pizza close to 40 hours a week. i get "seniority" and work the best shifts and i'm clearing about $450-500 after all expenses.

it drives me up the wall hearing Bogleheads encouraging unemployment
this is a bad spiral we are heading for
Dave Ramsey says that delivering pizza the way to financial freedom. :oops:
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Watch this show, at least the part about the warehouse work.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/amazon-empire/
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

[Removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

I like to hire people who have gone through adversity and lived to tell about it. I don't care what role or position; I strongly prefer those who have failed, learned from it, and gotten back up.

All else being equal, I'd much rather hire a candidate who lost their part-time teaching job, decided to keep looking for work, and busted ass at a warehouse for a few months until they were able to find something in their chosen path. If I interviewed a candidate and they were unemployed for a period of months, one of the very first things I would ask is what other jobs did you apply for? I wouldn't look favorably on someone who thought collecting unemployment was superior to working for $17 an hour.
drk

Post by drk »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:12 pm Many of us (me for one) don't end up in our chosen profession and even if we do we can learn important lessons from elsewhere. During my working years I learned something valuable from every job I held. Some of those lessons were much more positive than others but I learned nonetheless.
You seem to have missed that she's already started working in education. Are you suggesting that she might realize that she actually wants to be a warehouse worker?
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:12 pm I vote for take the job. You never know what impact a job will have on you and even if the experience is not a completely positive, the lessons learned can be very useful. Working is much more likely to provide helpful lessons for a young person than not working.
I strongly disagree. She should use unemployment insurance, stay healthy, and take advantage of the time to do something creative or learn something new. In the long run, that will help her flourish far more than signing up for a job in a regimented and structured environment that treats her as an automaton.

By the way, I started busing tables and washing dishes at 13, so no need for any comments about the value of hard work.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

I would look at it strictly from the point of view of safety. I don't know of a more important criterion than safety.

Is it certain she will be able to meet the physical demands of the Amazon job without sustaining injury? Is it certain she will be as safe from contracting Covid-19 if she takes the Amazon job versus stays home?

I'm guessing the answers are "No." In which case especially considering she has the option of remaining safe from physical injury and Covid-19 exposure by declining that job I suggest she exercise that option and stay home and stay safe.

In addition to owing it to herself to stay safe, she owes it to her family and loved ones, as well as to her students who will benefit from her return to the classroom which is likely if she remains uninjured and well.

Finally, as she stays home she can structure her time by learning skills online that will lead to increasing her skills in areas that will enhance her value to her school and to the kids she will teach once she returns. This is not the main reason I suggest she stay home - safety is the main reason. But since she should stay home, she might as well use the time productively - which it is likely she will do as she seems like the kind of young woman who will do that.

Congratulations on having such a fine daughter. Keep her safe by advising her to stay home.
I don't know anything.
Topic Author
Fractalleaf

Post by Fractalleaf »

Great thoughts here, I haven’t viewed the PBS video yet but I will.

Ultimately it will be her decision, but I’m glad to have some talking points if she wants to discuss it.
student

Post by student »

I am also on the side of staying on unemployment but continue to look for jobs that pay better.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

Fractalleaf wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:55 pm The work will be grueling, 10 hours per day four days per week with mandatory overtime possible. It's possible that she won't physically be able to meet the demands of the job.
What part of working 40 hours per week is grueling, exactly? As an employer in California I am quite familiar with the very strict and highly regulated employment laws here and I can assure you there is nothing remotely resembling a sweatshop operating legitimately in the state. Every break and every lunch period is timed to the minute and the slightest violation can bring bring the state swooping in. That doesn't mean she won't have to work hard.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Just say no. She can read this book to get a taste of those kinds of jobs.

https://www.amazon.com/Clock-Low-Wage-D ... 150&sr=1-1

KlangFool
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

This podcast about Amazon work conditions says it all: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... /brown-box

Not to mention the increased risk of COVID.

And she would make less than collecting the unemployment to which she is entitled via her years of labor and taxes? Insane.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

leeks wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:48 pm
There is personal risk involved right now in such a job, and no evidence that adequate cleaning and personal protection are provided to Amazon employees. The spirit of looking for a job while on unemployment (no idea about the legal details) to me does not require taking an abnormally hazardous position outside of one's field where the employer fails to provide adequate safety measures.
Is working at an Amazon warehouse during the pandemic riskier than working in a grocery store or delivering takeout food or assorted other essential jobs?

[OT comment removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

Regarding the OP’s question, if Unemployment Insurance requires you to look for jobs and accept offers, then recommending that she “forget” to mention this job offer would IMO be against the spirit of the BH rules. If looking for work is not required, then I would suggest she use this time to enhance her skills in her actual line of work.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I now work in a tech megacorp making a nice salary and financially independent, but life wasn't always like that.

Jobs I've held in my life, some before college, some during college, some right after college, and some during economic rough spots in my mid-20s:

--Truck stop dishwasher / potato peeler / grease trap cleaner / janitor
--Grocery store bagger
--Taco Bell employee
--Lumber mill worker
--Pizza delivery driver (one of my favorite jobs of all time)
--Fishing boat deck hand
--AV librarian
--Farm worker picking broccoli
--Eviction services
--Bouncer in a strip club
--Cruise ship kitchen staff
--Tech support phone staff

I think all of these contributed to who I am today, made me more resilient, gave me more ambition (because I didn't want to go back), gave me more empathy for a wide variety of people, and made me a more entrepreneurial and "fail fast" business person with better leadership skills.

I think she should go for it. If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of her life or career.

She may find a different path in life than what she planned. And that's okay.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

drk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:58 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:12 pm Many of us (me for one) don't end up in our chosen profession and even if we do we can learn important lessons from elsewhere. During my working years I learned something valuable from every job I held. Some of those lessons were much more positive than others but I learned nonetheless.
You seem to have missed that she's already started working in education. Are you suggesting that she might realize that she actually wants to be a warehouse worker?
No that's not what I'm suggesting. But that doesn't mean that she can't learn anything by doing that work. And if she's like me and others I know she could decide at some point that education isn't really her calling. My chosen career was computer programming but after working in the field for a short time I decided that it wasn't for me. I went back to school and ended up having a successful career in a completely different field. However, my many work experiences before and in-between were still of value. One thing they taught me was to treat others with respect no matter what job they do.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:07 pm
drk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:58 pm
No that's not what I'm suggesting. But that doesn't mean that she can't learn anything by doing that work. And if she's like me and others I know she could decide at some point that education isn't really her calling. My chosen career was computer programming but after working in the field for a short time I decided that it wasn't for me. I went back to school and ended up having a successful career in a completely different field. However, my many work experiences before and in-between that were still of value. One thing they taught me was to treat others with respect no matter what they do.
+1

It sounds hokey, but it builds character and makes you a more resilient, more well-rounded individual, capable of finding multiple paths in life.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

[Removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

I've worked in far, far more dangerous environments in my life (lumber mill, fishing trawler).

Now, at 49, I'm financially independent, with a tech megacorp job.

Learning how to deal with adversity, how to get up after you fall down, is a critical life skill to learn in one's 20s.

My "sweatshop" jobs in my 20s made me much more effective in the tech startup and corporate world compared to some of my peers who lived softer lives.

I was never in the military, but I think the "life hardening" skills must be similar between the service and a rough job when young.
drk

Post by drk »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:07 pm No that's not what I'm suggesting. But that doesn't mean that she can't learn anything by doing that work. And if she's like me and others I know she could decide at some point that education isn't really her calling. My chosen career was computer programming but after working in the field for a short time I decided that it wasn't for me. I went back to school and ended up having a successful career in a completely different field. However, my many work experiences before and in-between were still of value. One thing they taught me was to treat others with respect no matter what job they do.
Assuming that OP's daughter needs to learn these lessons, which we have no reason to believe, why does she need to do it right now by risking a COVID-19 infection?
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Fractalleaf wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:55 pm My daughter was laid off from a part-time teaching job when schools closed in CA.
What kind of teacher was she?
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

drk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:17 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:07 pm No that's not what I'm suggesting. But that doesn't mean that she can't learn anything by doing that work. And if she's like me and others I know she could decide at some point that education isn't really her calling. My chosen career was computer programming but after working in the field for a short time I decided that it wasn't for me. I went back to school and ended up having a successful career in a completely different field. However, my many work experiences before and in-between were still of value. One thing they taught me was to treat others with respect no matter what job they do.
Assuming that OP's daughter needs to learn these lessons, which we have no reason to believe, why does she need to do it right now by risking a COVID-19 infection?
Hopefully you are not buying things on Amazon or any other online retailer or delivery service. Or perhaps you can let us know what type of person should be risking their health by working at Amazon?
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Nate79 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Hopefully you are not buying things on Amazon or any other online retailer or delivery service. Or perhaps you can let us know what type of person should be risking their health by working at Amazon?
+1

"Les Miserables" comes to mind.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

gblack wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:57 pm My two cents - working good for the soul, unemployment is not. Even if job stinks, she might learn something or meet someone who influences her. I look back and don't regret any job I've ever had -- in some cases especially the bad ones.
+100%

Especially when young.

She could end up writing a great screenplay or novel from her experiences.

John Steinbeck lived a rough life when young, but turned those experiences into a Nobel prize for literature.