How often do you login and review your investment accounts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

How often do you login and review your investment accounts?

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:27 am

Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly, other?

I would like to get to monthly or quarterly; however, I still find myself checking them on a weekly basis.

:D
Stay invested my friends.

Raybo

Re: How often do you login and review your investment accounts?

Post by Raybo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:29 am

I wrote a program that runs every day and calculates my investments to the penny. To me, it is like looking at the box scores in the sports section.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

thatme

Post by thatme » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:30 am

Last day of every month when I update my net worth spreadsheet.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:32 am

I log in opportunistically. 2018 and 2019 were fairly hands off for me. I made very few stock trades. Something in the order of once every quarter or something along those lines. The markets kept going up and I had few ideas, so I didn't do much. I've made more than 150 trades, all of them buy trades from cash to stocks, in the first three months of 2020, so I've been online pretty much every single day.

I'm out of cash now, so I've only checked my accounts once in the last two weeks or so. I track my positions in an Excel spreadsheet and my positions are almost always fairly concentrated, so it's actually faster for me to just check stock prices and update a single column in my spreadsheet a couple of times than to log into my various accounts. I can see my total portfolio performance and balance without logging in.

When there's something potentially to be done, I log in. Otherwise, I don't.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:34 am

I try to make sure I have had a look at everything about monthly. The main thing is to verify accounts look the way they should without unexplained or unintended transactions or that there have been notices from the bank or broker or changes in access to the account. Sometimes they want you to review and update contact information, which is a good thing.

I do tabulate everything in a spreadsheet just for record keeping but I can't remember seeing something that causes me to do something in years and years. As accident would have it I have not even gotten outside rebalancing bands since 2009 and I don't have any harvestable tax losses at this time.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 am

Every 2-3 months as needed.
A well set up portfolio is on "auto pilot".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:40 am

Raybo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:29 am
I wrote a program that runs every day and calculates my investments to the penny. To me, it is like looking at the box scores in the sports section.
I use Morningstar’s Portfolio Tracker, but yes, it’s like checking sports scores every day (great analogy) - did my team win or lose yesterday? Lost? Well, maybe we will get ‘em tomorrow.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 am

At least once a month. Need to sell something to pay next month bills so that usually take place at the end of the month. Sometimes mid-month to check for suspicious transactions.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am

Daily.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am

Quarterly to update spreadsheet, plus rebalancing date. Plus more often when the markets are rising just for fun.

student

Post by student » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 am

Weekly.

Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:50 am

Raybo wrote:
Wow! That sounds awesome.

:sharebeer

Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:51 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 am

A well set up portfolio is on "auto pilot".
Good point!

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:57 am

I download investment account changes into a spreadsheet and Quicken on days the markets are open. It takes a few minutes. We're retired, so I can make the time. When quarterly statements come out, we're already aware of what's happened to our accounts and are not shocked by the statements. I prefer a series of small shocks over a big shock at the end of the quarter.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am

Almost every day.

JakeyLee

Post by JakeyLee » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:03 am

I log on once a month to make sure my funds arrived from employer to Vanguard. If they haven't posted, then I log on the next day to make sure they eventually arrive. It sounds OCD, but TW0 times in the last five years I've had to contact payroll about them "forgetting" to send the mail/check. :oops:

Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:03 am

Morning, noon and evening daily.
Now excuse me for a minute, I'll be right back...

Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 am

JakeyLee wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:03 am
It sounds OCD, but TW0 times in the last five years I've had to contact payroll about them "forgetting" to send the mail/check. :oops:
Wow, good catch!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 am

Bank and credit card accounts - daily.
Investment/retirement/etc - quarterly to check balance

I do go into my post tax VG account and purchase ETF's monthly, but do not check the balance.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am

Weekly right now, only because I have been buying a lot lately. But once I use up my dry powder I will shift to every 2 weeks (on pay day), I have to login to my 401k on payday to manually do roth conversions of my after tax 401k contributions before market close to avoid any taxable gains.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:17 am

Usually 6 days a week. The interest from Brokerage CDs won't invest itself you know.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:19 am

It varies according to need and interest, but generally daily or more, 5 days/week. Sometimes, just because I'm interested. Sometimes, because I need to complete specific tasks (deploying new funds, rolling individual bonds, loss harvesting, withdrawals, deposits, research, re-balancing). I do this for multiple family members, so I do what I need to (power of attorney, all at same brokerage, so one screen and one sign-in). Could be a few seconds, could be much longer.

I used to do a quick daily check for security reasons, but this stopped being necessary when notifications (app/text/email) became popular and specific. All this is not something I would ever personally worry about, it's just a matter of my own time management. I have yet to ever do something stupid just because I looked. The only time in my life when I stopped looking as much - early 2009, around the market bottom. What I see never makes me lose sleep or get giddy. If it did, I'd look less.

lindsayinsf

Post by lindsayinsf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Monthly, to update my net worth spreadsheet and confirm my auto deposits went through. I have 3 years worth of data and can step back to look at the bigger picture / overall trend if I start to worry about market dips. Automating transfers helps me stick to my investment plan regardless of what the market is doing. I find that checking more often does not provide me with more benefit.

IF you feel that checking less often would be beneficial to you, think about what physical barriers you could put in place to make it more annoying to login. Examples: change your password and hide somewhere so you have to take a few extra steps to login; using an app or browser extension to block or limit time on specified websites; removing access from your mobile device; etc.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:12 pm

I only log in when I need to do something: harvest a loss, rebalance, add new money, withdraw money to spend it, donate to charity, or verify a previous transaction.

I do sometimes check the market movements to get an idea of what is going on. If the market has dropped substantially, I may need to log on and see whether I have anything worth harvesting.
Wiki David Grabiner

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Sporadically.

Probably at least quarterly though???

I don't see a need to do so, whether one is in the accumulation or deccumulation phase neither plan would require a periodic balance, certainly not detailed balances.
Last edited by gr7070 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Daily when the market was going up. Less frequently more recently :)

Serious answer though: every 1-2 weeks, especially when it's getting closer to rebalance time.

slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Varies with market situation and how busy I am with other aspects of life..

At least monthly to update my spreadsheet. But recently, it's been 3-4 times a week. Not to make any changes, but to have front row seat to the spectacle of carnage. Too easy as it's just one PC thumb click away.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Weekly.

Among the reasons is I have unique credentials at each. This way I keep in practice.

Always I follow my plan I wrote, and turn the crank.

PJW

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:40 am
Raybo wrote:
I use Morningstar’s Portfolio Tracker, but yes, it’s like checking sports scores every day (great analogy) - did my team win or lose yesterday? Lost? Well, maybe we will get ‘em tomorrow.
In the past month, I don't think any of my teams have lost a game. :shock: When I check the local sports channel each night, they keep winning important games, usually in the playoffs.

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:37 pm

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 am
JakeyLee wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:03 am
It sounds OCD, but TW0 times in the last five years I've had to contact payroll about them "forgetting" to send the mail/check. :oops:
Wow, good catch!
Yikes!
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Too much, OP!

Would like to get it down to once a month.

It’s probably smart to check at least once a month because one time I was in a cash debit call and wouldn’t have seen it at all if I was too “hands off”.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:44 pm

I have bond ETFs that pay their dividends monthly that I manually reinvest partly because I can do that a day before the dividends would be automatically reinvested. I also get quarterly dividends. So I login when I know a dividend is posted. Also I get Vanguard to e-mail me an alert when there is a big market movement, so I might review my accounts after getting such an alert or I might not. I just checked and I had not logged into my Vanguard account since early February. Of course, I have some accounts elsewhere.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

spottedchococow

Post by spottedchococow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Once per quarter - my portfolio is VTSAX and S&P500, so I generally know how it's doing.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Raybo wrote:
I didn't write a program as I already had one through 2002 Microsoft Money. At the close of the Market I can update the investment values, so I am up to date, also to the penny.. I don't log into Vanguard very often.
“One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese Proverb

retire57

Post by retire57 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Quicken updates daily for me. However, I don't really look at investments, but rather focus on cash flow and monthly spending. If anything is off, Quicken will recognize the discrepancy. Dividends require a look-see once a month.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:56 pm

Daily. For the the last 4 years, I've struck and recorded a daily balance. I have a spreadsheet that tracks everything and pulls in prices, but I log in nearly every morning to confirm the balance. Sometimes, I'm logged in a for less than a minute.

I really like having the trend of balances. Going back further, I only have random days over the prior decade when I happened to have saved a M* portfolio report or noted a balance.

Crawdad

Post by Crawdad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Quarterly

PS - 1st post.
Everything is a gift. Be thankful.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm

about 2-3 times a month to update transaction data in my spreadsheet.

But I check the S&P500 close almost daily. With beta = 1, I can easily estimate what my current balance is.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:10 pm

I still get paper statements. Whenever they come in I review them mainly to make sure that there are not any unauthorized transactions.

I rarely log into my accounts unless I need to do something.

cos

Post by cos » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:33 pm

Far too often. I've written my investment policy statement. I've stuck to it and plan to continue sticking to it, but watching the numbers fly and crash is just too exciting. While I've yet to make the mistake of changing course (the recent market volatility actually revealed to me that I have steadier hands than I originally predicted), I've likely lost loads of money in terms of otherwise productive time spent obsessing over investment theory every time things fluctuate.

I'm a neuroscientist, and I'm fully aware of the fact that I make more money researching neurons than I do researching money itself. However, the way I feel emotionally during a boom or a bust tends to cloud that objective truth. I often find myself deep in investment forum threads and economic research papers, feeding my shallow, short-term emotional interests and neglecting my deeper, long-term intellectual interests. Sometimes it gets to the point where I question changing careers.

Things will probably get worse as I consolidate accounts with my broker, but I really like the idea of a one-stop shop. When I'm through with that, I'll need to decide whether the behavioral costs outweigh the financial and temporal benefits, and if so, whether I can overcome them psychologically or whether I need to change strategies.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Related to this - how often do you check in and download statements or account snapshots? And if you do this, is it in part to have some kind of record should there be a serious systems foulup at your financial institution? I've often wonder if these would be of any actual value given that they could be somewhat easily forged.

matti

Post by matti » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:19 pm

I would guess every 3 months or so.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:48 pm

I check more frequently when I am logging new highs than when I am logging new lows.

btq96r

Post by btq96r » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Check daily after suppertime just to scratch the itch of needing to know, and record into a spreadsheet monthly to track how I do over the course of a year.
Moderation is for Canadians.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 pm

I usually check every few months. This past month has been daily. I also never look at futures, but I have found myself looking at the futures. It has become part of my morning routine during this virus confinement.
Mark

Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Unfortunately lately .... daily.

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Yearly

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Daily when we aren't traveling. (When working was every day.)

Have investment accounts in quicken and I update that program each day for spending accounts reconciliation and tracking.

As for going into the actual brokerage accounts directly, probably a few times a year just to cross check that all numbers line up with my quicken entries.
Edit Signature

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:37 am

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:27 am
Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly, other?

I would like to get to monthly or quarterly; however, I still find myself checking them on a weekly basis.

:D
Once a few month, of market is up.
I don’t Look at the numbers when market is down, even for rebalancing I don’t look at percentages/numbers of my account. I just rebalance and logout. I am that way not tempted to do anything foolish ;-)

eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:48 am

BOA account, daily
Ally MM & CD acct. 2-3x a week
VG accts and statement 2x a week.
"Do, or do not." Yoda