[Government stimulus payments]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BrownEyedGirl_27

Re: [Government stimulus payments]

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

We will have to wait for a paper check because we closed our account that was direct deposit based on our 2018 returns and the IRS does not have accurate bank account information now. We owed in 2019 and just filed last week. I read that stimulus checks can take up to 20 weeks to arrive. It's OK, it's a good lesson in not seeking instant gratification! :oops:

On the plus side I just found out today that my unemployment claim was successfully processed and that I'll be getting paid for the last two weeks of unemployment on Monday. I already feel so relieved and we do not need the stimulus check really at all.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy »

Received $2350 direct deposit on Wednesday 4/15. Filed 2019 taxes in time for it to be used. The 2018 AGI was higher then 2019.
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:25 am
HueyLD wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:12 am
XtremeSki2001 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 am Got mine today, but confused. Maybe someone has someone has insight?

We're a married couple filing jointly with four (4) dependents under age 17.
Have not filed 2019 taxes.
2018 adjusted gross income was <$150k. Our gross was actually under $150k.
Stimulus check is $3,400.

By my calculation, my stimulus should be $4,400 and is short by $1,000. I've confirmed there is no cap on number of dependents. Anyone have any ideas?
Did all four live with you in 2018 for at least half of the year?
Yes.
Reading the news it looks like many folks are in my situation, where the stimulus was less than expected.

From what I’ve read, a “true up” will happen when I file my 2020 taxes next year. This doesn’t seem sensible.

Anyone heard any different?
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

csmath wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:32 pm I had a refund direct deposited to my bank account in 2018 but owed a tad in 2019. When I visited https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... t-payments it showed that the IRS did not have direct deposit bank information in their database. So I had to enter it.

Point is, I'd check the link regardless of whether you had a direct deposit refund in the past or not.
Same thing with me.
Mark
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Ours showed up on 4/16. We had a small (3 figure) refund for TY2019 and I had filed back in Feb so IRS has bank info on file. We are in the phaseout range so I imagine one of last batch to go out by direct deposit.

Action: We are both still employed in WFH capacity so no need for the money. I will donate some, and use the rest to fund an outdoor home improvement project we had put off to put the money into the local economy (give work to local contractors).
teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion »

One of the kids initiated a group family chat, wondering who had received their stimulus deposit. All of us had filed 2019 early, all have received deposits except the boys: one did not file (teen), one filed but not eligible (college age dependent), and one eligible but owed for 2019.

So it seems you have to have requested direct deposit with your last filed tax return to receive automatic direct deposit of you stimulus money. Authorization of direct payment with bank info is not sufficient, you have to use the IRS website to provide it for deposit.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

teen persuasion wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:52 am One of the kids initiated a group family chat, wondering who had received their stimulus deposit. All of us had filed 2019 early, all have received deposits except the boys: one did not file (teen), one filed but not eligible (college age dependent), and one eligible but owed for 2019.

So it seems you have to have requested direct deposit with your last filed tax return to receive automatic direct deposit of you stimulus money. Authorization of direct payment with bank info is not sufficient, you have to use the IRS website to provide it for deposit.
I believe if you're collecting SS, they will use that deposit info.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

teen persuasion wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:52 am One of the kids initiated a group family chat, wondering who had received their stimulus deposit. All of us had filed 2019 early, all have received deposits except the boys: one did not file (teen), one filed but not eligible (college age dependent), and one eligible but owed for 2019.

Yup, that is what I experienced. Direct debit for 2019 taxes done a month ago, but IRS would not use that bank info and I had to re enter all of the data on the "get your payment" link. Will see how long it takes now.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Still getting the “Payment status not available” message for both me and my spouse's info, despite definitely qualifying. My brother and spouse had the same experience, they also definitely qualify. I guess this is the penalty for using Turbo Tax and owing taxes annually.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Had to sign up my 92YO widowed-MIL on the IRS Find My Payment site yesterday to get her payment authorized. Needed personal info, 2019 tax return data, and bank account data. I wondered if this was required since her SS deposits go to a BofA account and her Fed tax payment has been coming from her Schwab checking account.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 15-time loser
IRS-Gman

Post by IRS-Gman »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:43 am Still getting the “Payment status not available” message for both me and my spouse's info, despite definitely qualifying. My brother and spouse had the same experience, they also definitely qualify. I guess this is the penalty for using Turbo Tax and owing taxes annually.
Economic Impact Payments are going out in stages. Those qualifying taxpayer's with direct deposit bank info on their tax return will get their money first. Those who's bank info isn't readily available will have their checks mailed starting in early May and will be prioritized by AGI. If you receive the "status not available" message then you're not in the first group.

https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/de ... cle_inline
IRS-Gman

Post by IRS-Gman »

BigFoot48 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 am Had to sign up my 92YO widowed-MIL on the IRS Find My Payment site yesterday to get her payment authorized. Needed personal info, 2019 tax return data, and bank account data. I wondered if this was required since her SS deposits go to a BofA account and her Fed tax payment has been coming from her Schwab checking account.
IRS won't use bank accounts authorized for tax payments. For those who aren't required to file a tax returns and who's income is only SSA, IRS will be using the bank account on file with SSA.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... alculating
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

IRS-Gman wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:34 am
anon_investor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:43 am Still getting the “Payment status not available” message for both me and my spouse's info, despite definitely qualifying. My brother and spouse had the same experience, they also definitely qualify. I guess this is the penalty for using Turbo Tax and owing taxes annually.
Economic Impact Payments are going out in stages. Those qualifying taxpayer's with direct deposit bank info on their tax return will get their money first. Those who's bank info isn't readily available will have their checks mailed starting in early May and will be prioritized by AGI. If you receive the "status not available" message then you're not in the first group.

https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/de ... cle_inline
Thank you helpful info. That makes sense but does not match up with the IRS site FAQ. You would think they would add that! My goal is to add my direct deposit info so I don't have to wait for a paper "Trump" check.
IRS-Gman

Post by IRS-Gman »

redmaw wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:06 pm
Based on my reading of the bill, it creates a tax credit based on your 2020 status, and authorizes treasury to send advanced payments based on the info on your 2018 or 2019 return. The credit is then reduced by the amount you received, but not less than 0. So essentially you get what they send you early, but it officially shows up on your 2020 return, jerryrigged such that you won't have to pay them back for it if you didnt qualify for the check they sent.

Based on that understanding my 2020 return will show the full credit amount, minus the stimulus check
as an additional credit refundable to me. That seems clear, what isn't clear is if I'll be able to tell the IRS they read my 2018 return wrong and the initial check should have been bigger.
The advanced tax credit is an estimate based on the most current tax return submitted to IRS. If the 2020 return shows the credit should have been more, then you'll get more. For example, say you had a child born in 2020. You'll then receive an extra $500 credit on your 2020 return.

https://taxfoundation.org/cares-act-sen ... lief-plan/
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

FYI for SS recipients with dependents:

"Social Security Recipients Have Two Days to Claim $500 for Kids"; per Bloomberg news this was just announced today, 4/20/20.

"Individuals receiving Social Security, disability or veterans benefits have until Wednesday to tell the IRS about any children eligible for $500 stimulus payments if they want to receive the money this year."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd=premium
jonas

Re: Report when you receive your stimulus check here

Post by jonas »

lostdog wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 am
MJS wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:50 am If you owed money, check the IRS system:
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
FYI

We owed taxes for 2019. I thought even though we put our bank account information on the tax form for the IRS to remove the owed taxes from our bank account, they would be able to use the info to deposit the stimulus money.

When I visited the IRS website, it said they didn't have enough bank information. I had the enter the bank information plus specific numbers from our tax form to verify the identity.
Anyone seeing progress in this category?

I updated my bank info into the IRS portal right after the Get-My-Payment tool opened sth like 5am ET on 4/15. Ever since the status has been

You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.
We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

No change in a week.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jonas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 pm
FYI

We owed taxes for 2019. I thought even though we put our bank account information on the tax form for the IRS to remove the owed taxes from our bank account, they would be able to use the info to deposit the stimulus money.

When I visited the IRS website, it said they didn't have enough bank information. I had the enter the bank information plus specific numbers from our tax form to verify the identity.

I updated my bank info into the IRS portal right after the Get-My-Payment tool opened sth like 5am ET on 4/15. Ever since the status has been

You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

No change in a week.
I still get this same message too. I entered direct deposit information on 4/15 also.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 pm
jonas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 pm
FYI

No change in a week.
I still get this same message too. I entered direct deposit information on 4/15 also.
Same here.

The IRS has asked people to enter their information by today in preparation for running another batch of direct deposit payments. So this logjam may break free within the next couple of days.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ssa-rrb-re ... s-500-push
sergio

Post by sergio »

Several people have reported being told by the IRS that a deposit is going out tomorrow for those that provide bank info last week. Those that provided bank info this week will receive their deposit next week.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Have not received the deposit. The website still says
And the site has said that for over 4 weeks.
Why me. Don't they like sheepdogs?
Woof Woof
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:09 pm And the site has said that for over 4 weeks.
The tool has only been up for a week since 4/15.
cherijoh

Re: just got my $1200 stimulus payment

Post by cherijoh »

user5027 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:25 am
CABob wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:00 am I'm not sure I will be getting a check but what are your thoughts on the best use of the check to help the economy and needy. My primary interests are local small businesses and the needy.
Feeding America.

https://www.feedingamerica.org/
+1

Althought I'm cutting out the middleman and donating directly to our local food bank. Ever since the Red Cross was found to have been slow in distributing hurricane relief (I forget which hurricane), I have been a little leery about donating to a nonprofit that distributes to oter nonprofits and NGOs. I'm not saying Feeding America is in the same boat, but there is definitely need in my own back yard. Our county is the hardest hit in the state and our Governor just extended our stay a home order until May 8th (although it wouldn't surprise me if it was even later).

When I was working we used to do a volunteer day at this food bank several times a year. I know they run a very lean operation and normally depend on a lot of volunteer labor. So this is the perfect storm for them - demand is at (or close to) an all-time high, food acquisition channels have been disrupted, volunteers have dried up, and a lot of their donors are now in need of their services. Before the stimulus check was signed into law I had already switched from quarterly contributions to monthly ones but kept the donation $$ amount the same - effectively tripling my donation.
jonas

Post by jonas »

jonas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 pm I updated my bank info into the IRS portal right after the Get-My-Payment tool opened sth like 5am ET on 4/15. Ever since the status has been

No change in a week.
Updated: payment date April 30.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Received my payment by direct deposit on the 14th. Was alarmed today when I saw that USPS Informed Delivery shows an IRS Notice 1444 coming my way. Turns out based on some searching it's a letter signed by the president telling me about the money I got two weeks ago.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

jonas wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 am
jonas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 pm I updated my bank info into the IRS portal right after the Get-My-Payment tool opened sth like 5am ET on 4/15. Ever since the status has been

No change in a week.
Same here, scheduled for April 30.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
jjface

Post by jjface »

Raymond wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 pm

No change in a week.
Same looks like a batch run for those entering in e-payment manually
SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist »

jjface wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 pm
Raymond wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 pm

No change in a week.
Same looks like a batch run for those entering in e-payment manually
I'll add a 4th to the list. Updated info on the 17th and checked this morning to see the 30th as scheduled date.
bayview

Post by bayview »

I was finally able to enter my mother's direct deposit info this past Friday (4/24), after it had shown "unable to determine" or whatever the phrase was since 4/15.

It is still giving the "once we have your payment date" as of just now. So I don't know if it will make the 4/30 batch date, if that is a thing (looks like it might be.)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Just to add another data point, as of 4/29, $2.4k was direct deposited in my in-laws' bank account (2 separate $1.2k deposits). They do not file taxes but receive social security benefits via direct deposit. They did not enter anything on the IRS website.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Ron wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am
MtnBiker wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:01 am Our adult disabled son receives SSDI by direct deposit and does not file federal taxes. The "Get My Payment" website has no information for him yet as to eligibility for a payment. Check back later if you are a non-filer SS recipient.
My son is in the same situation. The current news is that they will start to receive their payment sometime next week (April 20th).

- Ron
Ron: Did your son get his payment? My son did not, even though it has been widely reported in the media that SS recipients would get their direct-deposit payments by the end of April. He is still getting the "Payment Status Not Available" message.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:28 pm
jmwsmom wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:45 pm I received a $1200 deposit in my checking account yesterday. Based on the IRS Status website, it is for my mother, who died in September, 2019. I filed her 2019 taxes in February, 2020, including the form that said that I was entitled to her tax refund, as her sole heir, and listing my checking account to receive the refund. I received that refund in March.
I am horrified that the stimulus process is so messed up, when there are so many who are desperate for this money. I want to donate it, but first I want to be sure that I will at least have a warning before the government tries to take it back.
I wouldn't donate it just yet. There are articles from yesterday that talk about payments going to deceased individuals:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... nder+CARES

one article (marketwatch) says:
“People may have returned it, but they didn’t need to,” said Nina Olson, the former head of the Taxpayer Advocate Service, an internal IRS watchdog. The same goes for the $1,200 stimulus payments, as far as Olson sees it. The CARES Act stimulus bill contained no “clawback” provisions for stimulus checks sent to a dead person, meaning the agency can’t retrieve the money after it’s been handed out, she said. “Congress didn’t write around that this year,” she said.
source: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-i ... 2020-04-16
but another article (usatoday) said:
However, it is not immediately clear what will happen with those who are receiving checks for deceased relatives and loved ones during the COVID-19 crisis.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the IRS did not have guidelines on its website for payments sent in error to the deceased. The IRS did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for comment.
source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 138163002/
and finally,
As of Wednesday afternoon, the Internal Revenue Service didn’t have guidelines on its website for economic impact payments sent in error to the deceased.

Nor were they willing to comment on the projected number of payments “mistakenly sent to ineligible recipients and whether the agency has a system in place to reclaim the payments,” according to Just The News, a conservative-leaning media outlet.
source: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/corona ... 34881.html
if I were you, I'd wait for more guidance to be issued by the IRS.
just saw another article on this and it said the IRS will be issuing guidance shortly, but the article (link to Wall Street Journal article behind paywall) said this:
But, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuhcin told The Wall Street Journal that “heirs should be returning that money.”

So, don’t go cashing those checks just yet, although the article says its unclear how the IRS might reclaim the money.

Here’s some good news, too. If you receive extra money in your name, the article says it’s yours to keep. That, the story said, is considered a “clerical error,” and the money is yours to keep.

source: https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/20 ... ep-it.html

source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/stimulus-c ... 1588346708
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Another data point:
Per the IRS website today, my parents’ stimulus check will be mailed the week of May 8th rather than the direct deposit they were expecting. They filed a 2019 tax return with $0 tax liability but receive social security benefits via direct deposit. They did not enter their bank info on the IRS website.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

HomeStretch wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:58 pm Another data point:
Per the IRS website today, my parents’ stimulus check will be mailed the week of May 8th rather than the direct deposit they were expecting. They filed a 2019 tax return with $0 tax liability but receive social security benefits via direct deposit. They did not enter their bank info on the IRS website.
My elderly mother got her check recently one day before the IRS site said that it would be mailed. We entered moms bank info a week or so before but it was not used.

Cheers
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

MtnBiker wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:41 am
Ron wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am
MtnBiker wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:01 am Our adult disabled son receives SSDI by direct deposit and does not file federal taxes. The "Get My Payment" website has no information for him yet as to eligibility for a payment. Check back later if you are a non-filer SS recipient.
My son is in the same situation. The current news is that they will start to receive their payment sometime next week (April 20th).

- Ron
Ron: Did your son get his payment? My son did not, even though it has been widely reported in the media that SS recipients would get their direct-deposit payments by the end of April. He is still getting the "Payment Status Not Available" message.
Even though the IRS FAQ continues to state that non-filer SS recipients with direct deposit should have received their economic impact payments by the end of April, today I discovered there is another factor which is delaying such payments for some SS recipients such as my son. SS (and SSI) recipients with representative payees will be issued payments on a delayed schedule.

Do you have a representative payee or you are a representative payee?

The IRS has not yet determined when payments will be made to someone who did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return and who has a representative payee.
How will the IRS send my economic impact payment if I have a representative payee?
Date: May 6, 2020

If you filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return: Your $1,200 economic impact payment (EIP) was or will be sent to the bank account provided on your tax return for an electronic tax refund, or mailed to the address provided on your tax return if a tax refund was mailed or if there was no refund.

If you did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return: The IRS plans to use information provided by SSA to help the IRS generate your EIP. In most cases, the IRS will send your EIP to your representative payee using the same method (direct deposit, Direct Express, or check) the representative payee receives your monthly benefit. The IRS has not determined when these EIPs will be processed.
turfman

Post by turfman »

Quick question for the crowd. I thought the stimulus payment was just based on 2018 or 2019 income (2018 in my case since I haven't filed the 2019 return yet). But when I logged into the IRS "where's my check" system, it is asking me for not just the 2018 income (Form 1040 line 7) but also "Did you receive a refund or did you owe money?". I got a very big refund, as it happens, because of an adoption tax credit. Is this something that will factor into the amount of the stimulus check? Or is it just an identity verification step?

Trying to figure out if I should file my 2019 taxes first -- if it's just income that matters then I'll get more based on the 2018 return, but if the refund is added to my income then I'm better off basing it off the 2019 returns...

Thanks all!
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

turfman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm Quick question for the crowd. I thought the stimulus payment was just based on 2018 or 2019 income (2018 in my case since I haven't filed the 2019 return yet). But when I logged into the IRS "where's my check" system, it is asking me for not just the 2018 income (Form 1040 line 7) but also "Did you receive a refund or did you owe money?". I got a very big refund, as it happens, because of an adoption tax credit. Is this something that will factor into the amount of the stimulus check? Or is it just an identity verification step?

Trying to figure out if I should file my 2019 taxes first -- if it's just income that matters then I'll get more based on the 2018 return, but if the refund is added to my income then I'm better off basing it off the 2019 returns...

Thanks all!
Well - let me be the first to welcome you to Bogleheads with your first post since joining in 2013!

Everyone gets asked the same set of questions. It is just to verify your identity. Whether or not you received a refund has zero bearing on your stimulus benefit. I is based on income. No need to file your 2019 taxes first.

Cheers
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

turfman wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm I thought the stimulus payment was just based on 2018 or 2019 income (2018 in my case since I haven't filed the 2019 return yet).
It is actually based on your 2020 income - i.e. the return you'll file in April 2021. The payment now is an "advance" based on the latest tax return (2019 or 2018) that the IRS has for you. If your 2018 AGI didn't give you the full stimulus, see if you can lower your 2020 AGI. If the advance turns out to be higher than your 2020 AGI based stimulus, you don't need to repay the excess.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

New information relevant to SSI recipients with a representative payee posted today at https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/#reppayee:
How will the IRS send my economic impact payment (EIP) if I have a representative payee?
Date: May 14, 2020

If you filed a 2019 or 2018 tax return: Your $1,200 EIP was or will be sent to the bank account provided on your tax return for an electronic tax refund, or mailed to the address provided on your tax return if a tax refund was mailed or if there was no refund.

If you did not file a 2019 or 2018 tax return:

An Individual Representative Payee should receive from the IRS the EIP for their SSI recipient(s) by May 27 to the same direct deposit account or Direct Express card as the recipient’s monthly SSI payment. We are waiting for confirmation from the IRS when it will mail paper check EIPs to payees.

For an Organizational Representative Payee, the schedule above is the same, except that the payee may receive the EIP electronically or by paper check in the mail.
Still no mention of when SSDI recipients with a representative payee can expect to receive payment. :(
turfman

Post by turfman »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:19 am
Well - let me be the first to welcome you to Bogleheads with your first post since joining in 2013!

Everyone gets asked the same set of questions. It is just to verify your identity. Whether or not you received a refund has zero bearing on your stimulus benefit. I is based on income. No need to file your 2019 taxes first.

Cheers
Hahahaha, well, thanks for the welcome. I've learned so much just from reading others' posts here, and have not felt the need to ask new questions yet.

And, thanks for the info!
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 pm I read that stimulus checks can take up to 20 weeks to arrive. It's OK, it's a good lesson in not seeking instant gratification! :oops:
Heh, join the club. I mailed off my 2019 taxes a month ago and learned that they're not processing paper returns presently. So I don't know when I'll get my state tax refund and I'm hoping the money order I included with my federal tax return isn't going to expire before they get to it. And since I always do taxes on paper, I have to wait for a paper check for the stimulus - and they're starting with the lowest income people. So I expect to get that in September.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

We claimed my son as a dependent in 2018, but not 2019. As of the date the stimulus package was passed, he had not filed his 2019 return. He did so in April, after checks started going out, and already received his federal refund (by direct deposit). I assume they'll consider his 2019 return and he'll get his stimulus check later by mail?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

MDfan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 am We claimed my son as a dependent in 2018, but not 2019. As of the date the stimulus package was passed, he had not filed his 2019 return. He did so in April, after checks started going out, and already received his federal refund (by direct deposit). I assume they'll consider his 2019 return and he'll get his stimulus check later by mail?
I would say ... hopefully. No real way to know based upon the challenges with the IRS system and this monumental task. Many things have not occurred the way you would expect them to.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:41 am
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 pm I read that stimulus checks can take up to 20 weeks to arrive. It's OK, it's a good lesson in not seeking instant gratification! :oops:
Heh, join the club. I mailed off my 2019 taxes a month ago and learned that they're not processing paper returns presently. So I don't know when I'll get my state tax refund and I'm hoping the money order I included with my federal tax return isn't going to expire before they get to it. And since I always do taxes on paper, I have to wait for a paper check for the stimulus - and they're starting with the lowest income people. So I expect to get that in September.
Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

We received our check the first week in May. Came much faster than expected.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Received our $2,400 check today. For some reason I thought it was going to be a direct deposit, based on checking the IRS link a month ago. Update, based on below comment: Get My Payment says our checks will be mailed tomorrow too!
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 15-time loser
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Received mine and DW's payments today on a MetaBank Visa debit card. Both payments on the same card. I suspected SCAM at first, but after checking it out it appears to be legitimate. What made it even more suspicious was Get My Payment says our checks will be mailed tomorrow, and I received the card today.

Has anyone else received their 'check' on a debit card? Any problems with it?

I think I'll wait a couple days before activating it to see what you have to say.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

I didn't read every page of this thread, but has anyone reported receiving stimulus cheques as U.S. expats? We were not expecting anything. Then my adult daughter received a full $1200 cheque in the mail. Much surprise and joy. A few days later, we received a cheque for our other daughter, who passed away in 2018 (we did file a return for her in 2018). That was unexpected and creepy tbh. The cheque was jointly payable to "her name deceased" and to me as executor. So it's not a mistake. Not sure how that makes any sense in terms of stimulus. But I guess I'll spend it on her behalf on something she might have liked.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:15 pm Received mine and DW's payments today on a MetaBank Visa debit card. Both payments on the same card. I suspected SCAM at first, but after checking it out it appears to be legitimate. What made it even more suspicious was Get My Payment says our checks will be mailed tomorrow, and I received the card today.

I think I'll wait a couple days before activating it to see what you have to say.
N of only 2, but ours was a real check.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:15 pm Received mine and DW's payments today on a MetaBank Visa debit card. Both payments on the same card. I suspected SCAM at first, but after checking it out it appears to be legitimate. What made it even more suspicious was Get My Payment says our checks will be mailed tomorrow, and I received the card today.

Here's a link to the recent press release regarding economic impact payments via prepaid debit cards: https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1012
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Vogatrice wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 pm I didn't read every page of this thread, but has anyone reported receiving stimulus cheques as U.S. expats? We were not expecting anything. Then my adult daughter received a full $1200 cheque in the mail. Much surprise and joy. A few days later, we received a cheque for our other daughter, who passed away in 2018 (we did file a return for her in 2018). That was unexpected and creepy tbh. The cheque was jointly payable to "her name deceased" and to me as executor. So it's not a mistake. Not sure how that makes any sense in terms of stimulus. But I guess I'll spend it on her behalf on something she might have liked.
My condolences on your loss.

Regarding the cheque, you could wait until receiving the follow-up letter, but the IRS FAQ
(https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... ion-center) says:
Q10. Does someone who has died qualify for the Payment? (added May 6, 2020)

A10. No. A Payment made to someone who died before receipt of the Payment should be returned to the IRS by following the instructions in the Q&A about repayments. Return the entire Payment unless the Payment was made to joint filers and one spouse had not died before receipt of the Payment, in which case, you only need to return the portion of the Payment made on account of the decedent. This amount will be $1,200 unless adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000.
Q54. What should I do to return an Economic Impact Payment (EIP)? (updated May 11, 2020)

A54. You should return the payment as described below.

If the payment was a paper check:

Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
Include a note stating the reason for returning the check.
If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:

Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.
For your paper check, here are the IRS mailing addresses to use based on the state:

If you live in… then mail to this address

Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont:
Andover Internal Revenue Service
310 Lowell St.
Andover, MA 01810

Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia:
Atlanta Internal Revenue Service
4800 Buford Hwy
Chamblee, GA 30341

Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas:
Austin Internal Revenue Service
3651 S Interregional Hwy 35
Austin, TX 78741

New York:
Brookhaven Internal Revenue Service
5000 Corporate Ct.
Holtsville, NY 11742

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming:
Fresno Internal Revenue Service
5045 E Butler Avenue
Fresno, CA 93888

Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, West Virginia:
Kansas City Internal Revenue Service
333 W Pershing Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64108

Alabama, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee:
Memphis Internal Revenue Service
5333 Getwell Rd.
Memphis, TN 38118

District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island:
Philadelphia Internal Revenue Service
2970 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104

A foreign country, U.S. possession or territory*, or use an APO or FPO address, or file Form 2555 or 4563, or are a dual-status alien.:
Austin Internal Revenue Service
3651 S Interregional Hwy 35
Austin, TX 78741
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

Thank you MtnBiker. I had not bothered to do any research as I was not expecting this. I'll return it as specified and thank you for doing the work for me, I'm trying not to think about this too much for obvious reasons