[Government stimulus payments]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Brewman

Re: Report when you receive your stimulus check here

Post by Brewman »

Ours hit the bank last night while I was sleeping.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Got ours this morning.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

It was in my credit union checking account last Friday (4/10).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
anon_investor

Re: [Government stimulus payments]

Post by anon_investor »

TCB wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:57 am
Fortitude wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:12 am This is interesting. I know that we’re eligible for the economic impact payment based on the filing of our 2019 return. The Get My Payment link went live this morning on the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... t-payments) and since we hadn’t yet received our payment, I went and checked the status. The interesting part is I provided our banking info when we electronically filed our return, but instead of receiving a refund, we owed a small amount. However, when I checked the payment status on the IRS website, it confirmed that we were eligible for a payment but the banking info was needed for direct deposit.

All along, I’ve been reading that the IRS has your banking info if you had direct deposit set up to receive your income tax refund with the filing of your return, but no where did it mention that it’s not retained if your account was debited to make a payment for an amount that you owed. That doesn’t make sense to me. Anyway, for those who know that they’re eligible for a payment and still haven’t received it, you might want to check the site to confirm that the IRS has your banking info. If they don’t, this site allows you to provide it.
Checked the “Get my Payment” site and got a message “Payment status not available” for both wifey and myself.

Odd. We’re eligible.
I’m thinking it has something to do with not getting a refund for 2018 or 2019.
But we’re eligible based on either year, and both were filed.

The saga continues...
I got the same message...
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

FlyingMoose wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:20 am Got mine today! My dad didn’t get his yet.
My dad just got his in the last few hours.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Got it today, 4/15. Greatly reduced to a few hundred.
Single, retired 8/2019, but had a decent AGI for 2019 based on salary, bonus, ESPP, RSU, etc.

This year (2020) income projected to be 20,500 for ACA purposes. Does anyone know if there's a true-up to base the stimulus amount on 2020 AGI when filing for 2020 next spring?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 am
Fortitude wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:12 am This is interesting. I know that we’re eligible for the economic impact payment based on the filing of our 2019 return. The Get My Payment link went live this morning on the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economi ... t-payments) and since we hadn’t yet received our payment, I went and checked the status. The interesting part is I provided our banking info when we electronically filed our return, but instead of receiving a refund, we owed a small amount. However, when I checked the payment status on the IRS website, it confirmed that we were eligible for a payment but the banking info was needed for direct deposit.

All along, I’ve been reading that the IRS has your banking info if you had direct deposit set up to receive your income tax refund with the filing of your return, but no where did it mention that it’s not retained if your account was debited to make a payment for an amount that you owed. That doesn’t make sense to me. Anyway, for those who know that they’re eligible for a payment and still haven’t received it, you might want to check the site to confirm that the IRS has your banking info. If they don’t, this site allows you to provide it.
Checked the “Get my Payment” site and got a message “Payment status not available” for both wifey and myself.

Odd. We’re eligible.

The saga continues...
Same deal, except after I tried to submit my info it gave me the message: "Technical Difficulties

We apologize for the inconvenience but this service is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

I neither owed nor received a refund, tried both radio buttons and put in 0$. :|
pmmcmu

Post by pmmcmu »

Received mine yesterday morning.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

yes today
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

samsoes wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:24 am Got it today, 4/15. Greatly reduced to a few hundred.
Single, retired 8/2019, but had a decent AGI for 2019 based on salary, bonus, ESPP, RSU, etc.

This year (2020) income projected to be 20,500 for ACA purposes. Does anyone know if there's a true-up to base the stimulus amount on 2020 AGI when filing for 2020 next spring?
My understanding is yes you'll get a true-up when you file 2020 taxes.

I got my stimulus check today.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

capsaicinguy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:25 am
anon_investor wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 am

Odd. We’re eligible.

The saga continues...
Same deal, except after I tried to submit my info it gave me the message: "Technical Difficulties

We apologize for the inconvenience but this service is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

I neither owed nor received a refund, tried both radio buttons and put in 0$. :|
I am going to try later today, I assume they probably need to work out some kinks.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

samsoes wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:24 am Got it today, 4/15. Greatly reduced to a few hundred.

Yes the stimulus is just a prepayment on a tax credit created for your 2020 return.

I got my $1200
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Did anyone that does not file taxes but gets SS retirement benefits receive theirs? My in laws fall under that category and did not receive anything yet.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Just checked the IRS website. It said the following “Payment status not available” I guess that means I don’t qualify.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Pending ACH Deposit today 4/15 $2400

Son #1 also received his $1200 today
Son #2 will receive his when he files his taxes for 2020 as he was a dependent in 2019 but will not be in 2020
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

$2,400 (married with no dependents) posted to my bank account today. I noticed it pending starting Monday. Local CU and I filed 2019 taxes.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
CHXRAVEN

Post by CHXRAVEN »

BV3273 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:37 am Just checked the IRS website. It said the following “Payment status not available” I guess that means I don’t qualify.
I got the same message, and I'm pretty certain I qualify. So keep checking till the message is more definitive.
JEC

Post by JEC »

I checked the IRS portal for the status of my payment. It said they needed my banking info. It's funny they say they need my banking info, because they had no problem direct debiting my federal tax payment today! :oops:
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

today, albeit reduced a few hundred bucks.......
More Please

Post by More Please »

In the bank this morning, $2 g’s and change.
MJS

Post by MJS »

If you owed money, check the IRS system:
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

CHXRAVEN wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 am
BV3273 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:37 am Just checked the IRS website. It said the following “Payment status not available” I guess that means I don’t qualify.
I got the same message, and I'm pretty certain I qualify. So keep checking till the message is more definitive.
Thanks!
teen persuasion

Post by teen persuasion »

Deposit pending this morning.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

JEC wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 am I checked the IRS portal for the status of my payment. It said they needed my banking info. It's funny they say they need my banking info, because they had no problem direct debiting my federal tax payment today! :oops:
My situation exactly. They were able to grab the money out of my account this morning, but I had to enter my direct deposit info.
oko

Post by oko »

Received my direct deposit for $2400 today.
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Mine came in yesterday.
terran

Post by terran »

samsoes wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:24 am This year (2020) income projected to be 20,500 for ACA purposes. Does anyone know if there's a true-up to base the stimulus amount on 2020 AGI when filing for 2020 next spring?
Yes, everything I've seen indicates that if you're eligible for more in 2020 you'll get the amount you're eligible for less the advance payment.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged bigtex's thread into the on-going discussion. Use this thread for all stimulus payments comments.

(If you need help for your own situation, start a new thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Oldest daughter, who got a refund and provided her bank information with her 2019 return, got hers today.

Youngest daughter, who owed with her 2019 return (and provided bank info for ACH - which was taken out today), did not get hers. Don’t understand why they won’t use bank info they know to be correct. Anyway, she was able to input her banking information on the My Payments web site this morning. So maybe she will get the funds in a few days?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: just got my $1200 stimulus payment

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm I don't see anything in my bank account yet. I filed my 2019 taxes electronically, but filed a 1040-X correction a few weeks later (don't ask, missed something obvious... :oops: ).

By IRS rules, 1040-X updates have to be done by mail. So, I sent them a check.

Now, I'm not sure if they'll go by the initial filing (direct deposit) or by the amended return (check). I'll wait until the IRS gets the portals up and running so I can check status.
I got my payment today. They went with the initial filing, which was e-file via direct deposit.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
terran

Post by terran »

Got our today. Ally Bank.

I'm curious if anyone receiving Social Security, SSDI, or SSI who doesn't file taxes has gotten it?
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

It was in our account yesterday, 4/14. Son and DIL said their account said pending as of yesterday. Overseas daughter thought she would not get any due to high income. I suggested that depressed exchange rates might ultimately might provide a reduced benefit by the time she files in 2020. Good news is that she has had a substantial raise and is expecting another this year.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

sycamore wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:31 am

My understanding is yes you'll get a true-up when you file 2020 taxes.
That's great news, I thank you. (Or my estate will thank you. :shock: )
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

MJS wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:50 am If you owed money, check the IRS system:
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
FYI

We owed taxes for 2019. I thought even though we put our bank account information on the tax form for the IRS to remove the owed taxes from our bank account, they would be able to use the info to deposit the stimulus money.

When I visited the IRS website, it said they didn't have enough bank information. I had the enter the bank information plus specific numbers from our tax form to verify the identity.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I filed my 2019 taxes on March 25. I used different bank accounts for 2018 and 2019. They deposited the money this morning into the account I used in 2018. I didn't qualify for a check on either my 2018 or 2019 taxes, but received one anyway. No idea why. It'll go into my "money I know I'll owe in taxes in 2020 bucket". I guess it's better that they err on the side of giving it to some people that don't qualify rather than missing some that do.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

April 14th 2020

I'm doing something very un-Boglehead like.
Because I don't need the $1200 and I don't consider it my "money" (I already have a stupidly high emergency fund for this epidemic), I am using the $1200 as an insurance for my portfolio.

$1200 worth of SPXS 3x bear S&P500
If I am wrong, I lose a portion of $1200. If I am right, I have an almost $1200 * 3 ~ $3600 worth of hedge to my portfolio. :sharebeer
Either way I win.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Michael Patrick wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:59 am
JEC wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 am I checked the IRS portal for the status of my payment. It said they needed my banking info. It's funny they say they need my banking info, because they had no problem direct debiting my federal tax payment today! :oops:
My situation exactly. They were able to grab the money out of my account this morning, but I had to enter my direct deposit info.
Same Here.
jeam3131

Post by jeam3131 »

fwellimort wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:49 am April 14th 2020

I'm doing something very un-Boglehead like.
Because I don't need the $1200 and I don't consider it my "money" (I already have a stupidly high emergency fund for this epidemic), I am using the $1200 as an insurance for my portfolio.

$1200 worth of SPXS 3x bear S&P500
If I am wrong, I lose a portion of $1200. If I am right, I have an almost $1200 * 3 ~ $3600 worth of hedge to my portfolio. :sharebeer
Either way I win.
Good to see American tax payers dollars being put to good use
MnD

Post by MnD »

Got some of it today (mostly capped) but should get the remainder when I file for 2020 if I manage sources of 2020 income correctly.
Went into a non-bank brokerage account I used for my 2019 refund - was wondering if that would cause a problem but it did not.
Tax loss harvesting in March will help a bit with getting the full remainder of it when filing 2020.
Provides additional justification not to do any Roth conversions in 2020 - converting any meaningful amount would wipe it out.
For folks on the cusp, the true-up is another variable in your 2020 marginal tax rate.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Mine showed up pending this morning. My mother's also did (I have POA).

I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. One of my goals for 2020 is a 50% savings rate so I suppose I'll stick to that and spend half of it and save half.
nps

Post by nps »

MarkBarb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:47 am I filed my 2019 taxes on March 25. I used different bank accounts for 2018 and 2019. They deposited the money this morning into the account I used in 2018. I didn't qualify for a check on either my 2018 or 2019 taxes, but received one anyway. No idea why.
Qualification is pretty straightforward, I am surprised there would be a mistake. If you are looking at AGI phase-out ranges note that they are higher if you had any qualifying children during the tax year they used.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Got mine today, but confused. Maybe someone has someone has insight?

We're a married couple filing jointly with four (4) dependents under age 17.
Have not filed 2019 taxes.
2018 adjusted gross income was <$150k. Our gross was actually under $150k.
Stimulus check is $3,400.

By my calculation, my stimulus should be $4,400 and is short by $1,000. I've confirmed there is no cap on number of dependents. Anyone have any ideas?
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

See if it matches up with this online calculator: Coronavirus Stimulus Check Calculator 2020 | H&R Block®

It was within $1 of my amount.

Also, be sure to use Adjusted Gross Income, not your taxable income.
drizzleray

Post by drizzleray »

Same here. Owed a small amount & paid via EFT, but the IRS tool said they needed my bank information.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 am Got mine today, but confused. Maybe someone has someone has insight?

By my calculation, my stimulus should be $4,400 and is short by $1,000. I've confirmed there is no cap on number of dependents. Anyone have any ideas?
Did all four live with you in 2018 for at least half of the year?
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

HueyLD wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:12 am
XtremeSki2001 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 am Got mine today, but confused. Maybe someone has someone has insight?

Did all four live with you in 2018 for at least half of the year?
Yes.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
joenj15

Post by joenj15 »

Same for me.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

lostdog wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 am
Same Here.
Same Here. The government has my banking information both from pulling a federal income tax payment from my bank account today and from monthly direct depositing Social Security payments. So far the IRS is not using either of those sources of banking information for making these payments.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Our adult disabled son receives SSDI by direct deposit and does not file federal taxes. The "Get My Payment" website has no information for him yet as to eligibility for a payment. Check back later if you are a non-filer SS recipient.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Just added DW's info (filed single last year) and it took our bank account. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the cash to hit.