Is it worth asking car insurer to decrease premium during pandemic?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Luckywon

Is it worth asking car insurer to decrease premium during pandemic?

Post by Luckywon »

In California and have two vehicles insured by AAA based on annual mileage 7500-10,000 each. I'm now driving very little. I heard some insurers are giving premium refunds due to reduced driving and claims. Has anyone had success asking for this from AAA or other insurers? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble considering I assume driving will return to normal some day.
Last edited by Luckywon on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yossarian

Re: Is it worth asking car insurer to decrease premium during pandemic?

Post by Yossarian »

California Geico customer here. Geico's website said to call for COVID-related questions so I tried that but was on hold for over 30 min and gave up. I messaged them through their site saying what my mileage was for the past 4 weeks and the next day I received a response that they were refunding about 20% of my premium. The refund came through a day later, so it was all very seamless.

I understand Geico will be offering an across-the-board 15% reduction in premium for all renewals for the next 6 months.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

I tried...they said we already had the lowest mileage on our policy and there would be no change
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am... I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble ...
How much trouble is it to call the number, ask the question, and get a yes or no?

If you think that's trouble you should have lived in the days of the rotary phones. We had to move that little wheel around a circle until it stopped for every number. And for high numbers like 8 or 9 that was a long way. Wears me out just thinking about it. :happy :D :P :twisted:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am In California and have two vehicles insured by AAA based on annual mileage 7500-10,000 each. I'm now driving very little. I heard some insurers are giving premium refunds due to reduced driving and claims. Has anyone had success asking for this from AAA or other insurers? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble considering I assume driving will return to normal some day.
I have it on my todo list to call AAA insurance. I need to first look at my gas/maintenance records to calculate new annual driving estimates for our vehicles; I think are below the numbers we originally estimated when signing up for coverage.
Topic Author
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:43 pm
Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am... I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble ...
How much trouble is it to call the number, ask the question, and get a yes or no?

If you think that's trouble you should have lived in the days of the rotary phones. We had to move that little wheel around a circle until it stopped for every number. And for high numbers like 8 or 9 that was a long way. Wears me out just thinking about it. :happy :D :P :twisted:
Hey I remember not only the rotary phone but as a child the party line phone-we shared the line with two other subscribers. When you picked up the phone if there was no dial tone you were out of luck-another household was using it. Check back later! :(
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

So you think if you call you will be connected to a real person sometime in the next hour or so??
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Hey I remember not only the rotary phone but as a child the party line phone-we shared the line with two other subscribers. When you picked up the phone if there was no dial tone you were out of luck-another household was using it. Check back later! :(
Yup. And if someone was calling in you knew if it was for you or the other guy by the number of rings.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I got an email from Allstate telling me they are refunding 15% of my premiums for March and April. By my calculations that comes to about $40 or so. Not huge, but it'll buy me some groceries.
Topic Author
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Yossarian wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm California Geico customer here. Geico's website said to call for COVID-related questions so I tried that but was on hold for over 30 min and gave up. I messaged them through their site saying what my mileage was for the past 4 weeks and the next day I received a response that they were refunding about 20% of my premium. The refund came through a day later, so it was all very seamless.

I understand Geico will be offering an across-the-board 15% reduction in premium for all renewals for the next 6 months.
Thanks for this info. I called AAA. Call answered after about 15 min hold. They took down odometer readings today and advised to call back in 90 days with new readings, then they will adjust premium. I wish I had called the day we stopped commuting.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

If you think that's trouble you should have lived in the days of the rotary phones. We had to move that little wheel around a circle until it stopped for every number. And for high numbers like 8 or 9 that was a long way. Wears me out just thinking about it.
When they set the system up, area codes had to have a "1" or "0" as the middle digit. Big cities like Los Angeles and New York got 213 and 212 respectively. Sparsely populated areas like the central coast of California got 805. Why, because if you had to use the operator they could spin the dial faster for frequently called cities; it was more efficient for AT&T.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
Topic Author
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Turbo29 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:24 pm

When they set the system up, area codes had to have a "1" or "0" as the middle digit. Big cities like Los Angeles and New York got 213 and 212 respectively. Sparsely populated areas like the central coast of California got 805. Why, because if you had to use the operator they could spin the dial faster for frequently called cities; it was more efficient for AT&T.
That must be why they put the "O" for operator at the end of the dial instead of at the beginning-a little "nudge" to reduce calls to the operator. They were way ahead of their time.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

And when touch tone came along ATT supported both tone and pulse dialing for several years. And many push button phones had a switch so you set it for either touch or pulse. I always set mine to pulse because touch tone service was a couple more dollars per month. So I guess I was a Boglehead before I ever knew there were Bogleheads.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:27 pm

That must be why they put the "O" for operator at the end of the dial instead of at the beginning-a little "nudge" to reduce calls to the operator. They were way ahead of their time.
That's a zero, not an Oh. See the following link, and you'll see it's an oval and the Oh at number 6 is a circle.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/460704236 ... JEDTSWrgpF
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Looks like they were pretty busy anyway.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

And notice the supervisor on roller skates in case one of them needed help

Last edited by cheese_breath on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 pm
That's a zero, not an Oh. See the following link, and you'll see it's an oval and the Oh at number 6 is a circle.

A very elegant pr00f. I l0ve B0gleheads :)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:52 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 pm

A very elegant pr00f. I l0ve B0gleheads :)
:D :D :D
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:32 pm And when touch tone came along ATT supported both tone and pulse dialing for several years. And many push button phones had a switch so you set it for either touch or pulse. I always set mine to pulse because touch tone service was a couple more dollars per month. So I guess I was a Boglehead before I ever knew there were Bogleheads.
I remember when we only had 5 digit phone numbers and no area codes. Probably in the early 1950's. I was too young to make long distance calls (which were expensive) and I guess folks dialed the operator for that. Then one day, they added 2 numbers as well as a word. We went from 2-4510 to ATwater (288-4510). Lots of different names - State, University, Chestnut, Fulton, Garfield, Jackson, and more to identify a specific exchange.
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

I saw this thread and then went to the USAA website and found the following ...

"USAA to Return $520 Million to Members ..."

See link --> https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Press-R ... a-p/228150

Hopefully other insurers will follow suit.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

I received the following email from GEICO today:

"As part of GEICO's ongoing efforts to assist customers during this unprecedented time, we are announcing The GEICO Giveback which provides a 15 percent credit to all auto and motorcycle customers as policies come up for renewal, between April 8, 2020 and October 7, 2020. This credit will also apply to any new policies purchased during this period as part of our commitment to protecting the wellbeing of our customers. Current customers can expect to see the credit when they renew. Customers do not need to take any action to receive this credit."

Edit: We live in Maryland. I'm not sure if GEICO is implementing this nationwide.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

pshonore wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:57 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:32 pm And when touch tone came along ATT supported both tone and pulse dialing for several years. And many push button phones had a switch so you set it for either touch or pulse. I always set mine to pulse because touch tone service was a couple more dollars per month. So I guess I was a Boglehead before I ever knew there were Bogleheads.
I remember when we only had 5 digit phone numbers and no area codes. Probably in the early 1950's. I was too young to make long distance calls (which were expensive) and I guess folks dialed the operator for that. Then one day, they added 2 numbers as well as a word. We went from 2-4510 to ATwater (288-4510). Lots of different names - State, University, Chestnut, Fulton, Garfield, Jackson, and more to identify a specific exchange.
How early was that? I remember our phone number the middle 1940s was PRescott 8-0215, and when we move to Detroit in 1948 our new number was LAkeview 6-1885. But I don't remember it ever being only 5 digits.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I sent an email to my agent letting them know I was only driving 2 days a week till July and got $80 pro-rated till July.

Took all of 3 minutes.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

I may cancel collision for sure, effective immediately, and then can think about whether to reinstate it next summer. If my car actually leaves the garage for more than one grocery run per week that is....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

We have 4 vehicles. I put 2 of them "in storage" on my driveway (so we can't drive them). That saved me $254 total for about 2.5 months time (we were already at the lowest amount of driving, etc.). At that point, I will be renewing in June at which time I will shop around and continue to keep 2 vehicles in storage as we work less in the summer and still don't need 4 vehicles until fall again.

YMMV.
vtjon

Post by vtjon »

Interestingly, I got a generic email from Erie Insurance today about discounted premiums. I already have one vehicle on "pleasure" use (<7500 miles annually) since I have worked from home for 15 years. It will be interesting to see if/what the credit might be. I pay annually.
Dear Valued Customer,

After careful consideration, ERIE has decided to lower personal and commercial auto rates in order to provide additional relief to our Customers. We estimate the total rate reduction impact to be approximately $200 million throughout the 12 states and District of Columbia where ERIE operates.

While ERIE’s pricing philosophy has always centered on providing exceptional protection and service at the lowest possible cost, lowering rates during this challenging time is simply the right thing to do. Pending regulatory approval, rate changes will vary by state and will be based on individually purchased policies and coverage options. Once approved, premium adjustments will take effect at the time of renewal.

The rate reductions announced today are in addition to the relief ERIE is already providing to thousands of Customers, including individualized payment flexibility, paramedical exam waivers for life insurance applicants and philanthropic support to COVID-19 rapid response funds across our communities.
susa

Post by susa »

Progressive is refunding April and May 20% of premium
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Sandwich wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:59 pm I saw this thread and then went to the USAA website and found the following ...

"USAA to Return $520 Million to Members ..."

See link --> https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Press-R ... a-p/228150

Hopefully other insurers will follow suit.
USAA just sent an email saying the same thing. The discount is 20% for two months of premium. No need to take any action. Credit will be applied to account.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

I am with State Farm and have 3 vehicles. They have a way to suspend a vehicle but leave the minimum coverage on so you aren’t obliged to return the plates to the DMV. Also doesn’t screw up your umbrella policy. You can take the vehicles in and out of service with just a phone call and saves about 70% of your insurance cost. We suspended 2 of the 3 vehicles and are saving a bundle!
RCL

Post by RCL »

Didn't read all posts, but just got email from my insurance USAA:
We know the COVID‐19 pandemic is having a financial impact, and we're taking action to ease the burden. Every member with an auto insurance policy in effect as of March 31, 2020, will receive a 20% credit on two months of premiums in the coming weeks. All told, we're returning about $520 million.

Edit: I see The USAA info has already been posted
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

From Progressive's website:

Personal auto premium credit

Many of you are staying home to minimize exposure and spread of COVID-19. While you’re doing your part to fight the pandemic, we’re committed to being there in your time of need.

If you have an active personal auto policy at the end of April, you’ll receive a credit for 20% of your April premium. We’ll offer the same 20% credit to active personal auto customers at the end of May, and we may offer additional credits in the upcoming months.

There’s nothing you need to do. We’ll automatically calculate your credit at the end of each month, and then you’ll see it reflected in your account within a few weeks. If you have a balance on your policy, we’ll apply the credit directly to your remaining balance. And if you’re already paid in full, we’ll return the money to the payment account we have on file—so please make sure your payment details are up to date.

This credit is subject to approval by state regulators.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I was going to call but received an email from Allstate offering a credit. I am not going to bother calling unless things take a turn and it looks like this is going to be the 12 month scenario.