FT Lauderdale vs San Antonio - For Retirement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BGeste

FT Lauderdale vs San Antonio - For Retirement

Post by BGeste »

FT. Lauderdale, FL. vs. San Antonio, TX being considered as long term retirement locations.

Please share thoughts, recommendations, pros and cons, etc. Financial and other considerations.

Thank you.
adamthesmythe

Re: FT Lauderdale vs San Antonio - For Retirement

Post by adamthesmythe »

Tough choice. I hate Florida but the other one is Texas.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

BGeste wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:09 pm FT. Lauderdale, FL. vs. San Antonio, TX being considered as long term retirement locations.

Please share thoughts, recommendations, pros and cons, etc. Financial and other considerations.

Thank you.
How did you come up with these specific locations? What criteria did you use to select them?
JPH

Post by JPH »

Spend the first 2 weeks of August in one and the second 2 weeks in the other, then decide.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Topic Author
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm
BGeste wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:09 pm FT. Lauderdale, FL. vs. San Antonio, TX being considered as long term retirement locations.

Thank you.
How did you come up with these specific locations? What criteria did you use to select them?
No state taxes, no winters, relatively inexpensive housing. However, I would like perspective beyond these items.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Ft. Lauderdale has warm winters, average January low is 62F.
San Antonio can be much colder, average January low is 44F.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Lived in Lauderdale and Pompano for 2 years. Live in NW Houston and spent a ton of time in SA over the last 20 years.

Wouldn't even be close, anywhere between Lauderdale and Boca. Heck even up to WPB.
Robdac

Post by Robdac »

We live near FLL in the city of Weston and love it. Been here six years from the Midwest.

Winter is amazing. Summer sucks.

We have no intention of ever leaving leaving Florida. But we've already discussed opting out of a month of summer with an Airbnb or similar during retirement in different places each year.
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

I think a lot would depend on your budget.

Lived in SA for 4 years. Cost of living is pretty much as low as you can get for a quasi-major city. It's easy Texas living, for sure. If the additional activities of Florida appeal to you, the question would be if its worth the extra money. If you're just looking for a low tax state with warm weather, SA might work for you.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

BGeste wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:11 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Thank you.
No state taxes, no winters, relatively inexpensive housing. However, I would like perspective beyond these items.
Las Vegas, NV checks those boxes, just throwing it out there.

That gives you three uniquely different kinds of summer heat to choose from.
StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit »

David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm Ft. Lauderdale has warm winters, average January low is 62F.
San Antonio can be much colder, average January low is 44F.
Thus... Our summer home (and domicile) is in Income tax free WA state. AK would work for summers too. Long days would be great.

We use San Antonio for winter home. (but prefer NZ long days Nov - March).

Been doing San Antonio (1 hr NW, near Fredericksburg) in winter for 25 + yrs. November thru April (blue bonnets). There is lots to do nearby.

Cheap housing? How about getting PAID for your housing?. We keep several rental homes in each location, the main places have a spare cabin and workshop for us to use for free, whenever we are in the area (deductible travel between locations, we fly and keep a cheap car (and motorcyles, tractors, metal and woodshop) at each destination.). With main home rented, there is always someone to watch the places, and great revenue to support our travels. (Often overseas for long periods).

Disclosure... I am not keen on urban FL. Personal choice. We can fly there for $79 from Texas, but usually go to Carolinas or TN or GA. For access to outdoor stuff without the crowds or costs of FL. If I want beaches, I will take the free stopover in the Cook Islands for a month on the way to NZ.
kidshrink

Post by kidshrink »

Living in SA going on 6 years. Grew up in SF Bay Area, Lived in Dallas for 3 years, Los Angeles for 4.

Enjoy the easy living, friendlier people, lower crime rates and beautiful hills.

Just discovered Scenic Loop Road the other day and have been taking the BMW through the twisties.

Enough diversity and culture. Moderate politics. Airport is easy in/out. Have almost major chains including In n Out and Trader Joe’s.

Wish my family would move here so I’m closer to them but doubtful it will happen. I enjoy it and have stayed longer than I ever expected to.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

FishTaco wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:11 pm I think a lot would depend on your budget.

Lived in SA for 4 years. Cost of living is pretty much as low as you can get for a quasi-major city. It's easy Texas living, for sure. If the additional activities of Florida appeal to you, the question would be if its worth the extra money. If you're just looking for a low tax state with warm weather, SA might work for you.
What in the heck do you consider a major city? SA has like 1.5 million people..

I believe that is still top 10 in the entire United States
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

barberakb wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:36 am
What in the heck do you consider a major city? SA has like 1.5 million people..

I believe that is still top 10 in the entire United States
Lol, I guess I said that because although San Antonio is big, it still had a small town feel to me. Maybe I should say tier-2 big city? That'll probably ruffle some feathers.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

I was just curious, I lived in san antonio and its pretty huge. I thought maybe you were from Tokyo or NYC or something so it felt small.