Are your personal expenses down during stay home and shelter?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Saving$

Re: How much have YOU reduced spending during downturns?

Post by Saving$ »

Reduced spending eating lunch out at work and buying gas for commute and errands.

Increased spending getting groceries delivered, which cost more than Costco prices, and a few other necessities that cost more to have delivered.

Trying to eat out the same as before just changed it to take out.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm All of the places that I spend money are closed during this downturn. I’m generally a frugal spender.

DMW
same here especially restaurants and other entertainment,
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Our discretionary spending is about 40-50% of our yearly budget. With the market down only 30% and our 70/30 portfolio down less we would not go very far out of our way cutting spending too much. But, this particular crisis has forced us to reduce spending in our largest line items in our discretionary spending: Travel, entertainment, and restaurants.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Momus

Post by Momus »

I can't reduce my spending no more. If I reduce it anymore I'd be on the street eating garbage dumpster. Expenses for everything is $500/mo + $750/mo rent.
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

Spending is massively down for us (me + wife), but it's supply, not demand, in our case. There is just less to spend money on.

Where we live (Bangkok, Thailand) healthy take out is as cheap as cooking, which we do as well. No fancy restaurants though, so there is a big chunk eliminated there, probably $1200/month.

Alcohol expenditures are basically down to zero, because drinking at home is just not as fun, and we want to watch our health and weight while we're less active in the house. Probably another $1000 or more saved here (premium drinks in Bangkok are fairly expensive, and we like to treat others).

Events, movies, etc. of course are gone. $300 a month at least here.

Shopping, a hobby of my wife's but always small for me, will be drastically reduced to a few online purchases. Probably $400 a month saved here at least.

Finally, travel this year, always our biggest expense, will plummet from 50k+++ yearly to probably 6k (if we're lucky enough to make it back to the US once this year).

Doing the math, even if the lock down period here only lasts 2 months in some form (we're 1 month in already), we'll probably end up spending at least 53k less this year, but my guess is it will actually be more like 80k less, as most of our other spending is travel related.

Nothing compared to what I've lost in the market :)

I'll be putting the extra savings into the market, unless I lose my job, in which case my EF should last a 3-5 years at this rate, and I could retire if I needed to.

All in all I feel very lucky, as I'm sure many Bogleheads do, to be in a fairly good position. I feel very sad for all the people for whom this crisis will be devastating in either health terms or economic terms, or both.

Good luck to everyone <3
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Massively down for me as well. I usually spend 5-6k per month with traveling, eating out and entertainment. It will probably be less than half of this, groceries, insurance, and utility bills.
hoffse

Post by hoffse »

Not much yet. March was very expensive. Being stuck at home we are using the opportunity to do a lot of landscaping, and we are installing a play set for my toddler in our backyard. That gets expensive pretty fast, but our yard is going to look great if this lasts much longer! Mail order nurseries have been a godsend.

We also bought a deep freezer, which is one of those things we have talked about getting for years but never got around to it. Well my mother in law works at the CDC, and she advised we go ahead and finally get one, based on what she is seeing at work... the hope is it allows us to stay in place for weeks on end.

In March we also did a stock up of medication/prescriptions, refilled some art supplies for my kid, stocked up on some office supplies to work from home, etc.

Our groceries have also gotten lumpy because we are trying not to leave unless very necessary, and we filled our pantry and freezer in March. I probably need another month to see if we are spending more overall or less.

Utilities are higher, being home all the time.

April will be very different. Our daycare isn’t charging us, the play set is paid for, the freezer is paid for, and most of the plants have been ordered. Other than groceries I’m not sure what else we will buy.
avenger

Re: Are your personal expenses down during stay home and shelter?

Post by avenger »

Every day discretionary spending is down by probably 75%. 50% of our credit card bills are dining out and travel.
Major backyard project is still a go (in accordance with our state’s executive order r/t COVID-19), which will reach 6 figures.
So overall, it’s going to be up a little bit.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

While most of our spending has reduced unfortunately we have had a washer and an oven die during the quarantine. We decided to purchase replacements for washer/dryer and oven/microwave thru Costco. We also finished an isnulation/sealing improvement project for our attic just as this crisis was starting in February.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved several posts from: How much have YOU reduced spending during downturns? into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Lots of wineries have been offering discounts and/or free shipping (wine is heavy and expensive to ship!), so I've been spending a lot more than usual. :beer
Redlion

Post by Redlion »

Expenses are way down, Reimbursed $1800 on trip to New Zealand , Australia and Fiji, No Gyms fees, No green fees, no dining out, limited gas consumption, With the substantial savings I hope to do a bathroom renovation when this is all over.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Way down. No restaurants or bars to go to. Movie theaters closed. We've canceled several travel plans. No gym or yoga classes. No live theater. Way less shopping. (And thank god for online vendors!)

Grocery bill is up from eating at home all the time, but we're having a great time cooking together.

In planning our retirement, my bare bones budget was close to this, and I calculated that pension plus SS could cover "essentials", and it does. And, surprise, it's not so awful.

We miss seeing friends, but have done a couple of facetime happy hours and similar things.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

watchnerd wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 pm
We will end the year with a very large favorable variance to our budgeted spend (mid five figures at least if not more).
Yes, if I include vacation spending, I expect our total T&E (2 adults, no kids) will be cut down by ~$40-50k.
That is some serious vacation monies. May I ask, do you do many trips a year, or just a handful of big ones?

We tend to do a few big ones a year. Maybe something in the order of 2-3 weeks at a time. When we travel we don't want to feel constrained by some timeline that we only have a few days and must do as much as possible, or see as much as possible every time. Having 2-3 weeks per trip gives us plenty of days to just sit back and relax on days we are tired, or the weather is not ideal for what we want to do.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

Xrayman69 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:57 am My daily discretionary living expenditures have decreased during the stay home and shelter status.

Typically about $500/week dining out. Now about $150 week with food delivery and home groceries. Not drinking at dinner and going to bars have mainly contributed.

Travel expenses down nearly %75 for the family. Had to just cancel a spring break trip, flight, lodging, meals and miscellaneous probably cut out about 5K-7K.

No more driving kid to and from school along with extracurricular activities. Fuel cost for cars $30 in March. Typically around $200. Uber’s no longer an expense.

Continued to pay for YMCA as a means to help keep them open when this ends.

No change in utilities.

Rented an on demand movie last night $6.50 for the family. Extra Entertainment cost down to early zero. Cable and subscription monthly costs along wifi, considered a utility.

Just off the top of my head.

I find the the wide disparity between the weekly dining expense vs. the $6.50 movie rental somewhat humorous. Reminds me of my wife spending part of Sunday morning clipping grocery store coupons and telling me she saved $8.00 and then thinking nothing of ordering a $12.00 martini at a restaurant. :D
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We couldn’t spend money if we wanted to. Trip canceled. Remodel on hold. Not going anywhere. No eating out. No gym fees or massages. I try to order stuff from Amazon, and it isn’t available until the end of May.

This month just groceries, utilities, property taxes, fixed car expenses (registration and insurance are both due), and enough paint to paint a couple of rooms.

I miss my life.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Yes.
No overseas travel
No health club fees
No restaurants
No random shopping
Less gasoline for the above
Cooper62

Post by Cooper62 »

Many expenses down like commuting costs, lunch money and extracurriculars for high school son, spending money for college daughter (she has a large academic scholarship contingent on maintaining a high GPA so we gave her monthly allowance so she wouldn't work too much and keep focused on the GPA), haircuts/color, monthly spa membership. Spring break trip cancelled. Won't go on summer vacation. Food expenses up though as we are paying for delivery and when we do go to the store not paying as much attention to the sales and trying to get in and out. Husband's income now down by $1,000/month so we've gone backward even after the lower expenses. I may be furloughed soon, so we will really be cutting costs to bare bones. Thankfully have a decent savings account to get us through 9 or 10 months on a bare bones budget.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Anyone else not renewing their car registration for the upcoming year?

Just saved myself $300 by filling for "planned non-operation" with the DMV. Will call the insurance company next.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 am Anyone else not renewing their car registration for the upcoming year?

Just saved myself $300 by filling for "planned non-operation" with the DMV. Will call the insurance company next.
$300? Is California car registration that expensive or are you saving in insurance premiums?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 am Anyone else not renewing their car registration for the upcoming year?

Nope, still need groceries and delivery isn't reliable around here. Also, no way to indicate that I want tofu or shrimp, not both.

The gas savings are tremendous, though!
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am

$300? Is California car registration that expensive or are you saving in insurance premiums?
Yes CA registration is that expensive. $324. Some of it is state tax deductible though.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes CA registration is that expensive. $324. Some of it is state tax deductible though.
I guess I should stop complaining about the $60 in my state. In all honesty, I have been driving an unregistered car for 3 years now. And yes I have car insurance. It is not about the money. I am just too lazy to drive through and get it inspected. I have been meaning to do it, but, meh. You got me motivated and I will get the car inspected today. I think.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:44 pm

I guess I should stop complaining about the $60 in my state. In all honesty, I have been driving an unregistered car for 3 years now. And yes I have car insurance. It is not about the money. I am just too lazy to drive through and get it inspected. I have been meaning to do it, but, meh. You got me motivated and I will get the car inspected today. I think.
You wouldn't get the inspection done when you went to get routine maintenance done?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

BeneIRA wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:44 pm

You wouldn't get the inspection done when you went to get routine maintenance done?
I do my own maintenance. Otherwise I would.

I save so much time changing my own oil for example. It takes me about 30 minutes to do it myself. I have a suction device that sucks out the oil, I then replace the filter and add new oil in. Done. If I take it to a nearby shop the whole process is close to 4 hours between driving and waiting. And no, I do not trust the Jiffy Lube locations. Plus I get to choose the oil I want. Intake filter and cabin filter is a piece of cake. Wipers and fluids even easier. Brakes, same thing. I can change a set of brakes and rotors in about 1-1.5 hours.
Absolute

Post by Absolute »

Discretionary spending is way down.

Live in NJ, wife is NYC public school teacher. Save ~$300 in tolls alone, not to mention gas/w&t on car. She now eats lunch at home where sometimes the staff may order out.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Our renovation was slowed down by COVID. We are entering the home stretch, and have limited use of the kitchen (for the first time since January). As a result, our food pickups have been high (we eat healthy foods when ordering out and tip well), and I would not be surprised if the two of us spent $700 per week. Now that we’ve stocked up groceries and can cook (albeit with limited utensils and such for the time being), that number should become more reasonable.

We have paid our cleaning ladies throughout, so that’s a wash. We have tried to keep local tradespeople employed, so have done a lot of outdoor landscaping, plumbing, gardening, painting, etc that we might have put off in normal times, but that’s really just time shifting the expense.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

The way things are going, my socks will last forever. Don't remember the last time I wore shoes, so they will outlast me if nothing changes.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

We are down almost 50%. As a caveat I have not paid for the past six months of property tax or the registration on one of our cars that has come due and it’s technically expired. I always pay both of these in person and the office has not been open and late fees are currently waived. We have also been working through a stockpile of groceries and other consumables faster than we are replenishing.

We just filled up our pickup with fuel for only the second time in 2020.
corp_sharecropper

Post by corp_sharecropper »

I don't have exact numbers but it's feeling like expenses are down only a little.

Items decreasing:
1) wife's monthly train pass
2) gas for my truck (haven't filled it since early March, usually $100ish/mo)
3) daycare for youngest ($950/mo)
4) after-school care for oldest ($250/mo)
5) clothing for kids (we're letting them go ahead and destroy their clothing much farther before replacement than we normally would do, not sure how much is being saved).
6) take out (we never eat out but do takeout at least once a week, we've dropped to once per month now)

Items increasing:
1) groceries (we're flying through food with all of us eating every meal here) and it is eye-popping to me how expensive it "feels" (especially since I've been doing 100% of the grocery shopping when I normally only do a little bit). Also splurging on some more grand meal groceries to lift our spirits.
2) wine, drinking starts earlier and is more frequent. :sharebeer :D :oops:
3) yard/garden/home improvement purchases
4) yard/general toys for the kids has increased a lot, saves our sanity, especially on rainy days.
5) iPad purchase for oldest kid to do school work (our only computers are our employer issued ones).
6) video rentals of kids' shows/movies, again for our sanity.

Looking at this I would think it would have dropped more but I haven't been able to sweep a significantly larger amount to savings (I don't keep an ultra detailed monthly budget, just once a year look, monthly "pay ourselves first" aka savings, and sweep anything leftover after mortgage hits for the following month).
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am $300? Is California car registration that expensive or are you saving in insurance premiums?
Yup. $340 for my 5-year old Chevy Volt. And I didn't file PNO.