Are your personal expenses down during stay home and shelter?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Xrayman69

Are your personal expenses down during stay home and shelter?

Post by Xrayman69 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:57 am

My daily discretionary living expenditures have decreased during the stay home and shelter status.

Typically about $500/week dining out. Now about $150 week with food delivery and home groceries. Not drinking at dinner and going to bars have mainly contributed.

Travel expenses down nearly %75 for the family. Had to just cancel a spring break trip, flight, lodging, meals and miscellaneous probably cut out about 5K-7K.

No more driving kid to and from school along with extracurricular activities. Fuel cost for cars $30 in March. Typically around $200. Uber’s no longer an expense.

Continued to pay for YMCA as a means to help keep them open when this ends.

No change in utilities.

Rented an on demand movie last night $6.50 for the family. Extra Entertainment cost down to early zero. Cable and subscription monthly costs along wifi, considered a utility.

Just off the top of my head.

Atomic

Re: Are your personal expenses down during stay home and shelter?

Post by Atomic » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:06 am

Overall personal expenses are down significantly overall. About >-50%

Utilities are up about 15%

So far most of the extra cash is piling up in the emergency fund with a weekly additional market buy taking care of the rest.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 am

No. Major expenses are fixed (mortgage, insurance, daycare which we continue to pay to hold our spot, groceries). The small discretionary categories have shifted to more groceries. Less gas for cars, more electricity use at home, etc.
When your base is $2k+ / month in eating out, that’s easy to decrease.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am

Definitely down, mainly food (Friday evening dinner) and we have been carefully asking whether purchases are worth it.

I have to ask, because $500/week for dining out is something I can’t even imagine, why? I don’t mean to be negative or harsh as obviously it’s affordable for you and by all means spend your money how you choose, I just can’t imagine that $26,000 yearly in food could easily be halved and saved in regular times.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am

Canceled a two month trip to Spain, so yes, I suppose that counts. And there are no more progress payments on the bathroom remodel, because there isn’t any more progress. I’m starting to do some of the work myself, so ultimately, the job will be cheaper. The contractor is still out and about, so he’s been dropping supplies off at the house, and I’ve been doing the work.

I’m continuing to pay some providers who aren’t working (hair, massage, etc), so that they’ll have a little income. Basically I’m buying gift certificates that I’ll use up over time once they’re back on their feet.

Household expenses are probably about even. Some things, like fuel for the car, are cheaper, but we’re spending all the savings on Clorox wipes and soap.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

carolc

Post by carolc » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am

Down because we aren’t going out to eat in restaurants anymore. We do order take out at least a couple of times a week. They bring the food to the car. And we tip well (an amount equal to the food bill) to help support our local restaurant folks.

carolc

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 am

Yes, I am saving on restaurant and bar expenses. Also on yoga and personal training. And, of course, on travel.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:29 am

il0kin wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am

I have to ask, because $500/week for dining out is something I can’t even imagine, why? I don’t mean to be negative or harsh as obviously it’s affordable for you and by all means spend your money how you choose, I just can’t imagine that $26,000 yearly in food could easily be halved and saved in regular times.
My brother and his family (4 total) easily spend that much eating out. I wonder what they are doing now.

Expenses are essentially unchanged - gas was already ~$50/month and my wife is going into her office every other day anyway, we don't eat out, utilities are very low - but the biggie is no childcare: $1200/month in my pocket. Hasn't been too bad.

Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am

No real changes for us. I suppose we haven't eaten at a restaurant or went to a movie, but it's only been a couple weeks and we likely wouldn't have in that timeframe anyway.

No reduction in work here so no savings around that for us.

Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am

Our expenses are also down; the categories most effected are dinning, drinks, fuel, misc discretionary, lunch, breakfast/coffee/snacks.

I'm also hoarding as much savings as a can to increase the size of my emergency fund as much as I can. Trying to get it to at least 12 months given all the economic fall-out thus far and certain there will be more to come.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:36 am

Retired
Frugal
No change

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 am

Coltrane75 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am
Our expenses are also down; the categories most effected are dinning, drinks, fuel, misc discretionary, lunch, breakfast/coffee/snacks.

I'm also hoarding as much savings as a can to increase the size of my emergency fund as much as I can. Trying to get it to at least 12 months given all the economic fall-out thus far and certain there will be more to come.
That's a very wise approach. I have been cutting down expenses so that we're living on a bare-bones budget. It is not easy or fun but if we can keep the spending down it will be easier to weather this storm. How many months do you have saved up in your efund? We have about 4 months of expenses in checking and savings and if needed we can dip into taxable and other investments. Would like to avoid doing so.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

Yes and no.

Expense like eating out, movies, etc are way down/non-existent but being in week 3 of WFH and knowing this would be longer I used it as an excuse to buy a new office chair since the old one was on its last legs and a second monitor since I have wanted to anyway since I upgraded the PC last year and even with a 34' ultra wide another 16:9 monitor in vertical next to it is a massive productivity boost when docking the work laptop.

Probably need another 2 weeks of WFH to break even.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:43 am

Retired, so probably not. Won't know for a while. April will probably be up (except for tax payments) due to credit card bill coming due for Florida trip at the end of Feb. July is going to be large; income tax payment and property tax payment. June should be large too - second quarterly payment (actually paid before first payment :oops: )
Last edited by jebmke on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 am

Xrayman69 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:57 am
My daily discretionary living expenditures have decreased during the stay home and shelter status.

Typically about $500/week dining out. Now about $150 week with food delivery and home groceries. Not drinking at dinner and going to bars have mainly contributed.

Travel expenses down nearly %75 for the family. Had to just cancel a spring break trip, flight, lodging, meals and miscellaneous probably cut out about 5K-7K.

No more driving kid to and from school along with extracurricular activities. Fuel cost for cars $30 in March. Typically around $200. Uber’s no longer an expense.

Continued to pay for YMCA as a means to help keep them open when this ends.

No change in utilities.

Rented an on demand movie last night $6.50 for the family. Extra Entertainment cost down to early zero. Cable and subscription monthly costs along wifi, considered a utility.

Just off the top of my head.
- No change in essential/necessary expenses.
- Commuting expenses go way down, i.e. gas. Electricity edge up due to working from home.
- Traveling expense and dining out goes to Zero, Nil, None.
- We don't hoard food or household expenses. So zero spent on it.

In March, we found an extra 4k on top of normal cash flow surplus to put into the market. We take it while we can.

Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 am
Coltrane75 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am

That's a very wise approach. I have been cutting down expenses so that we're living on a bare-bones budget. It is not easy or fun but if we can keep the spending down it will be easier to weather this storm. How many months do you have saved up in your efund? We have about 4 months of expenses in checking and savings and if needed we can dip into taxable and other investments. Would like to avoid doing so.
Thanks for the compliment. Keep building yours up. Are you a single income HH?

We have about 10 months now so we're almost there. But to be honest, depending on the way things go, I may just keep building it up until the US sees some light at the end of the tunnel...if I keep my job. Though I think I have relatively higher job security, we are a single income household.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:52 am

Our expenses haven't changed at all. We were home bodies before the shelter in place order. Some savings on gas by WFH but not a significant amount of money.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 am

Not early enough to matter.

The black holes of our budget* did disappear - Target, TJMAXX.

A new one has appeared - Amazon. Haha.

I am home with the kiddos - so we've been ordering new toys/games all the time to pass the time. It helps when I am working from home.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:56 am

Some of our expenses have shifted but not diminished.

We didn’t eat out often, but those funds are now the delta for having groceries delivered (fee and tip). Impulse purchases replaced with minor stockpiling of dry goods.

Keeping gym memberships and other similar discretionary expenses going to keep businesses afloat.

No change in fixed expenses other than upgrading ISP. No savings in commute (usually walk, bike or run).

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am

Down:

- After school childcare is closed, saving $500/month. The downside is I'll have about $4k left in a dependent care FSA. Summer camp looks like it will be closed. There's a chance fsa funds will be forfeited. :annoyed

- Gas is around $0. I may never have to buy gas again! :-)

- Eating out has gone to $0.

Up:

- Groceries have probably increased by 50%. Delivery is more expensive, and the kids eat a ton!

- Utilities will go up a small amount with two home offices and now hvac running 24/7.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 pm

dziuniek wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 am
The black holes of our budget* did disappear - Target, TJMAXX.
:sharebeer My wife has a serious clothing addiction, but the spending is all from her side gig and she has a separate account (that I have no access to) that covers it all. Normally I'd have a package on my doorstep at least twice a week, every week, but about a month ago we had a talk about how this isn't the time to be buying things we don't need. Not a single package on my doorstep since. Her side gig income is basically zero for the last month, so she isn't stockpiling the cash.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:02 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:29 am
il0kin wrote:

My brother and his family (4 total) easily spend that much eating out. I wonder what they are doing now.

Expenses are essentially unchanged - gas was already ~$50/month and my wife is going into her office every other day anyway, we don't eat out, utilities are very low - but the biggie is no childcare: $1200/month in my pocket. Hasn't been too bad.
We spend about $150/week on food for a family of 4 (small kids). We cook almost all meals at home and prep breakfast and snacks for work, so lots of fresh and healthy foods. I learned when I lost a good bit of weight that spending money on high quality food is an investment in health. Friday dinners are when we let loose a bit and get takeout or hit a Mexican restaurant or burger join, so $30-50 or so for those.

My $150/week on food totals $7800 a year.

Wyatt007

Post by Wyatt007 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 pm

Expenses are down --

- Daycare closed
- Dining out drastically reduced
- Non-essential purchases limited
- Summer travel plans cancelled
-Children's extra-curricular activities cancelled

However, DW was laid off last week so income is down much more :?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm

My expenses have plummeted since dining out and travel were always major components. I have largely parked my rocketship that eats gas and tires. I'm wearing slovenly clothing that I normally cannot wear, saving wear and tear on my M-F best. I've also booked substantial capital losses which should help with taxes for years to come. I'm temporarily finding myself with cash stacking up, which I'm putting to work in various ways, some of which I can post without y'all making fun of me.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:15 pm

No change:
1. Most major expenses are fixed.
2. We're still paying housecleaner, hairdresser, others who are not currently working for/with us but need the income.
3. Yard Guy still working outside.
3. We usually cook at home anyway.
4. Live entertainment (music and theater) are pre-paid subscriptions; performances cancelled of course.

Decreases:
1. No future travel (ordinarily we'd be planning fall and winter travels).
2. No major interior house upgrades (on hold for now).

Increases:
1. Tree Pruner (met with him outside, at a distance, with mask) and decided to have them do ALL the trees on our property.
2. More restaurants in our area (upstate NY) are now offering delivery, so we order in once a week or so. Nice splurge.
3. Called our exterior painter to do a touch-up job; she could use the work.
4. Sending out many more philanthropic checks.

Stay safe! Rus. :beer with a Quarantini.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm

overall about the same

down
gas
restaurants
kid lunch money
kid bus passes
data usage on everybody's cell phone

up
groceries
small things for the house like kitchen utensils, a space heater, sheets

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:10 pm

I front loaded more on entrainment and it caused a mini-spike, but I project average slightly lower for the month total.

Up: grocery bill*, electricity bill is up 18%, bought some new games (video and board, ~$200, enough for the next 4-6 weeks)

Down: eating out (lunch at work and our 2x weekly family nights out), commuting costs down, heating bill is down

* Sales are gone and dinning our bucket shifted into our grocery bucket.

bligh

Post by bligh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Way down. Our fixed expenses are the same (and intentionally kept very low) but, Kids extra curricular activities are gone. Gym membership gone. No longer eating out at all (we used to eat out a few times a week)..instead, just getting one or two take out meals a week. We never had much in gas and car expenses, but that has fallen too now that there is no commute.

The only costs that have gone up is a small bump in Utilities and a bump in Grocery expenses.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Wyatt007 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 pm
However, DW was laid off last week so income is down much more :?
Sorry, that sucks.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Way down.. less driving and gas is much cheaper, fewer showers, and who needs to wear pants anymore :D
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Ramjet

Post by Ramjet » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Grocery bill up marginally, all discretionary expenses down

chenzi

Post by chenzi » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:22 pm

While overall expenses have gone lesser, with both kids at home, we have hired a nanny who is a teacher on furlough from my kid's daycare. She doesn't get paid from the daycare.
We have hired her and pay her around $80/day for four hours every day. Our employers in tech still expect us to do some work and these four hours help us to catch up and get office work done! {We still pay 50% fee to daycare to reserve the spot!}
Last edited by chenzi on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:23 pm

Yes - I already posted details in the other thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=308701&p=5122987#p5122987

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:25 pm

il0kin wrote:
*Deleted* as was found very controversial and condescending and inappropriate.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

gouverneur

Post by gouverneur » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Down, but we're getting antsy and starting to make more big-ticket purchases/hobby purchases to keep us occupied. So who knows, we may end up spending money on those instead of travel, restaurants, etc.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:33 pm

Saved about $300 ~ $500 each week for casino funs. But that is offset by the cut of my wife's salary. Saved in gas expenses because of not driving much.
Spend more money on grocery, as we buy more than necessary each time. So it is a wash.
Finally, lost a lot of money in stock market.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Down overall. The following are shut down for the time being: eating out, music lesson for wife, exercise classes, travel, cleaning person, physical therapy. Grocery a little higher.

Dave

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Huge difference for us, after taxes, travel is the top spending category. Dining out is in the top five.
Charity is going to replace travel this year. I still expect taxes to be #1.
My bank balance does not seem to change much except for groceries and donations.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

furnace

Post by furnace » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:50 pm

I can cut my expenses down to the bone, but have decided against this selfish move. The US economy needs my spending power more than ever. The businesses and individuals who are recipients seem to be appreciative. It's my contribution to the national cause.

For those of you who are in a position to spend, I hope you would consider opening the money spigot instead of shutting it.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 pm

Expenses are down in dining, commuting but developing addiction to shopping online so at this point, it's a wash.

Last two days:

New set of pots and pans
Multiple new UPS power supplies
Roomba

Topic Author
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:05 pm

chenzi wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:22 pm
While overall expenses have gone lesser, with both kids at home, we have hired a nanny who is a teacher on furlough from my kid's daycare. She doesn't get paid from the daycare.
We have hired her and pay her around $80/day for four hours every day. Our employers in tech still expect us to do some work and these four hours help us to catch up and get office work done! {We still pay 50% fee to daycare to reserve the spot!}
Considered doing same for our private after school tutor/teacher that was normally 2x week to 4 days week but she is greater than 60 years old so we suggested she take a hiatus with pay.

chenzi

Post by chenzi » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Our nanny is a 20 year old kid who just leased a new apartment! Kids related stuff- nanny, daycare retention fee and school fees would still cost us around $3.5K/month while kids are at home!

Xrayman69 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:05 pm
chenzi wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Considered doing same for our private after school tutor/teacher that was normally 2x week to 4 days week but she is greater than 60 years old so we suggested she take a hiatus with pay.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm

My monthly expenses in March were down about 10% compared to past 12 month avg. What does it mean? My spending is already pretty optimised.

RiotAct

Post by RiotAct » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:25 pm

very much so. No eating out, no need for gasoline. Grocery bills have seen a slight increase.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:33 pm

furnace wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:50 pm
I can cut my expenses down to the bone, but have decided against this selfish move. The US economy needs my spending power more than ever. The businesses and individuals who are recipients seem to be appreciative. It's my contribution to the national cause.

For those of you who are in a position to spend, I hope you would consider opening the money spigot instead of shutting it.
+1

Commuting expenses are obviously down, as are dry cleaning expenses.

Offsetting those:
Pay our house cleaner and asked her to stay at home. Bought new hard floor cleaner (I can vacuum and do laundry, but never learned how to mop). Also bought a steam cleaner because it seemed like a useful item.
We had kept our son’s cell phone service on our plan and he just discovered today that the calls to Hong Kong and London in support of his WFH were not part of our plan. Next bill should be entertaining.
I tip food delivery people really well.
We have maintained our “progress payments” with our GC even though progress has really slowed down.
Found work for our landscaper to do because after a low snowfall winter his bank account is depleted, and nobody is calling him at a time when his phone usually explodes.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:46 pm

RiotAct wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:25 pm
very much so. No eating out, no need for gasoline. Grocery bills have seen a slight increase.
+1

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm

Yes. Commuting costs suspended ($400/month). Daycare suspended ($4,000/month). Eating out suspended ($500/month).

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Most are home and in the survival mode. Personal expenses (not recurring expenses such as mortgage, insurance, phones,,,) should be minimal.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Biggest savings is in daycare. $2,500 a month is noce

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:14 pm
My expenses have plummeted since dining out and travel were always major components. I have largely parked my rocketship that eats gas and tires. I'm wearing slovenly clothing that I normally cannot wear, saving wear and tear on my M-F best. I've also booked substantial capital losses which should help with taxes for years to come. I'm temporarily finding myself with cash stacking up, which I'm putting to work in various ways, some of which I can post without y'all making fun of me.
Please share, we all need a little smile. :sharebeer