bogleheading my car, opinions please. From a Tesla to a Honda

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
eye.surgeon

bogleheading my car, opinions please. From a Tesla to a Honda

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Some while back I asked if I should drive my 5.5 year old Tesla Model S, which is off warranty, into the dirt or sell it. The overwhelming consensus was to drive it into the dirt.

I just had the local honda dealer offer me a straight trade for a new 2020 loaded Honda Accord Touring, MSRP $37k, probably would sell for maybe $33k. Which is about what my Tesla is worth retail. It would cost me nothing, no sales tax, no licence/registration, it's a straight swap old keys for new keys. I would end up trading a 5.5 year old off warranty luxury car for a reliable comfortable new Japanese car with a new car warranty. When I bought my Tesla in 2014 I was not concerned about $100k car purchases, now I am although my income is unchanged -- mid 6 figures. My motivation is to live a more frugal lifestyle.

Options sought. Hey it gives us something else to talk about besides viruses.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

ResearchMed

Re: bogleheading my car, opinions please. From a Tesla to a Honda

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:18 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 pm
Some while back I asked if I should drive my 5.5 year old Tesla Model S, which is off warranty, into the dirt or sell it. The overwhelming consensus was to drive it into the dirt.

I just had the local honda dealer offer me a straight trade for a new 2020 loaded Honda Accord Touring, MSRP $37k, probably would sell for maybe $33k. Which is about what my Tesla is worth retail. It would cost me nothing, no sales tax, no licence/registration, it's a straight swap old keys for new keys. I would end up trading a 5.5 year old off warranty luxury car for a reliable comfortable new Japanese car with a new car warranty. When I bought my Tesla in 2014 I was not concerned about $100k car purchases, now I am although my income is unchanged -- mid 6 figures. My motivation is to live a more frugal lifestyle.

What is in it for the dealer, if it seems such a good deal?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 pm

I'd do it in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd sell the Tesla and buy a $23k Accord instead. But I digress.

If best financial move is your goal, it's a no brainer to trade a 5.5 year old car for a brand new car version of one of the most reliable vehicle models ever made.

I have a 7 year old Accord that I plan on driving into the ground. It is my second Honda.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Have you checked with Carvana, Carmax or similar to see what they value the Tesla at?

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm not that much of a "car guy", though I like them.
I'm relatively frugal and a natural saver.
I'm nearing 50 and have only owned 3 cars my whole life, and the two I've sold reached at least 14 years old.
We give a reasonable amount to charity.
I'm somewhat of a minimalist.

Even with all that said, with a $500k income and presumably comparable net worth, I doubt I'm driving an Accord. It's a nice car but I can treat myself a little.

The environmental impact of keeping an existing car and one Eco-friendly may help as well.

Drive that Tesla a while longer... until another neat vehicle comes your way.

At this point do which one impacts your happiness most.

If you want to improve your "financial responsibility" I'd be looking to give more, not spend less.
Last edited by gr7070 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:26 pm

The money on the Tesla is already spent, so doing an even trade doesn’t make you any more frugal. The Tesla is just a totally different car with a totally different driving experience - I would guess the Tesla is better in nearly every regard, so unless you hate it or have some serious concerns about its reliability, I’d keep the Tesla.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm

If you're in California, isn't access to the HOV lane a consideration?

Topic Author
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:40 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm
Have you checked with Carvana, Carmax or similar to see what they value the Tesla at?
Yes, all lower offers.
CFM300 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm
If you're in California, isn't access to the HOV lane a consideration?
It's only good for 3 years so it expired long ago.
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:18 pm

RM
Who knows, with car sales in the tank there may be significant factory to dealer incentives right now.
gr7070 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm
I'm not that much of a "car guy", though I like them.
I'm relatively frugal and a natural saver.
I'm nearing 50 and have only owned 3 cars my whole life, and the two I've sold reached at least 14 years old.
We give a reasonable amount to charity.
I'm somewhat of a minimalist.

Even with all that said, with a $500k income and presumably comparable net worth, I doubt I'm driving an Accord. It's a nice car but I can treat myself a little.

The environmental impact of keeping an existing car and one Eco-friendly may help as well.

Drive that Tesla a while longer... until another neat vehicle comes your way.

A very fair point, my only counterpoint would be that I've loved my Tesla but it's been off warranty 18 months and if anything goes wrong it could get expensive in a hurry.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:50 pm

A very fair point, my only counterpoint would be that I've loved my Tesla but it's been off warranty 18 months and if anything goes wrong it could get expensive in a hurry.
How has it been in those 18 months? My experience (albeit with an X) is that most repairs for a Tesla are not extortionately expensive, although I hear that body work can be crazy pricey.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:40 pm

<snip>
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
Who knows, with car sales in the tank there may be significant factory to dealer incentives right now.

<snip>
Sorry - what I meant was... if it was such a good deal for the dealer straight away, perhaps there is more to be "gained" by bargaining.
And all the more so, given that there aren't many other customers lurking around these days.

However, as pointed out, you've already paid for the Tesla, so it's not like "should I buy a $$$ Tesla or a $/$$ Honda?"
The Honda may well "last longer" from this point on, of course.

But... how often/much do you drive? Is the Tesla a really nice drive for you? Would the Honda be similar enough, or might you sooner or later decide that you wish you had that Tesla (or another "nicer") car back?

You mention wanting be more frugal, but with your income, don't go overboard in the "frugal direction" such that you stop enjoying some of the more significant things you've been able to have due to your success, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Has the drive unit (motor) been replaced under warranty? If yes, at how many miles? My understanding is that the woefully undersized main bearings have been upgraded in newer motors. What's a drive unit cost?

Has the battery pack been replaced under warranty? If not, what's that cost?

These are the 2 things I'd be most concerned about because I could live with a center screen issue and would DIY replace an $800 door handle with a much improved aftermarket one.

I guess in short, to me, the car is an expensive time bomb. I'd trade for an Accord and go for a sport with a proper manual gearbox.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:12 pm

Not sure it's such a good idea. First, your Tesla is out of the comprehensive warranty, but the battery and drive unit are covered for 8 years and unlimited miles, if I'm not mistaken. Those are by far the most expensive parts of the car to fix. And mechanically EVs are FAR simpler than ICE cars. Many of the troublesome/expensive components don't exist or (in the case of brakes for example) get much less wear on EVs.

Second, how much do you drive? The Accord is pretty efficient, but it will cost quite a lot more to fuel than the Tesla costs in charging. And there's the freedom of not having to go to gas stations. The few times I have to fuel my Volt at a gas station, I'm like, what the heck is this smell?

Third, the Accord just won't drive as nice. Even with my Volt, the lack of engine noise and vibration in EV mode is far superior to most luxury cars, not to mention an Accord. And of course with the Tesla there's the acceleration.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm

If you want that new Honda, I wouldn't mix the two transactions. It'll end up being as bad as buying a new car, and trading in a really expensive car at the same time/same dealership.

You're just going to come out ahead if you separate the two transactions. Sell the Tesla privately, then use boglehead technique to buy the Honda that you want. You should have money left over if you did these two right since the dealer's offering to do it with no extra cash required.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:48 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm
If you want that new Honda, I wouldn't mix the two transactions. It'll end up being as bad as buying a new car, and trading in a really expensive car at the same time/same dealership.

You're just going to come out ahead if you separate the two transactions. Sell the Tesla privately, then use boglehead technique to buy the Honda that you want. You should have money left over if you did these two right since the dealer's offering to do it with no extra cash required.
It's possible though that the add'l money from selling the car separately wouldn't cover the $3K or so in sales tax on the Honda, which OP wouldn't pay in a trade.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:00 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
FWIW, I looked at a random 2014 Tesla S and KBB says is worth about $40k, so that might be all. Still, if the prices were similar, what's in it for dealer is that he gets a sale and trade-in. On a new sale, there are costs offsets and incentives. On the trade-in, he has potential for markup, upsales (aftermarket warranty, paint protection, fabric treatments, etc.), and even financing.

There's more pressure now for dealers to sell new cars, especially if they keep building more. The new car is depreciating faster, so he's got more time to sell the used Tesla. And/or he might just want one to drive for a while.

OP, I'm guessing it's a downgrade and you'd notice and miss the difference.

camillus

Post by camillus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Hmm. The original purchase of the Tesla is a sunk cost.

Imagine walking into the dealer and they have two cars offered for free for someone with your name. You get to choose: a new Honda or a 5 year old Tesla.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:36 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:48 pm
azanon wrote:

It's possible though that the add'l money from selling the car separately wouldn't cover the $3K or so in sales tax on the Honda, which OP wouldn't pay in a trade.
Not sure about his state's rules, but in my state (Arkansas), as long as both transactions occur within 30 days, you can get the difference in state tax credited.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 pm

I am a lifelong car guy, and I would sell that Model S and buy a new or near new Model 3 with the money.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

This is a really interesting problem. I’ve driven teslas and they are quite amazing. I own a Honda accord and just love it. One of the big factors for me is Apple CarPlay which the Honda has andthe Tesla does not. I’m guessing you may not be familiar with its features but for me it is a dealbreaker. Just one more factor to consider. Let us know what you decide.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:47 pm

Bernard wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 pm
I am a lifelong car guy, and I would sell that Model S and buy a new or near new Model 3 with the money.
+1 or get in line for a model Y.

But if you like Honda, I don’t see why not. (Toyota guy myself.)

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm

I’m a long time accord driver, and current owner of a 2014 Accord Touring. I love love love my Honda’s. Having said that, this one hasn’t been as trouble free as previous Honda’s I’ve owned. But it is a great car.

I also have a Tesla Model 3 bought in August 2019. It is the best car I’ve ever owned. Puts a smile on my face everyday. Now when I get in my Honda, I feel like I’m taking a step back in time.

It feels like going back to a flip,phone when you’ve had a smart phone. The flip phone was always 100% acceptable, but you just can’t go back.

I’ve never completely used up a car. They have all lasted as long as I wanted to own them. I usually get rid of them because I get bored of them after 12 years. If I were bored, I would look to trade it in for another Tesla.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:59 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:

I would keep the Tesla.

softmax

Post by softmax » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:03 pm

I have a question that might be off topic.
When people say "driving the car into the dirt", what does it really mean?
I guess at some point the repairing cost starts to be not worth it.

sambb

Post by sambb » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 pm

make the trade and never look back. in a second.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:28 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:36 pm
02nz wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:48 pm
azanon wrote:

Not sure about his state's rules, but in my state (Arkansas), as long as both transactions occur within 30 days, you can get the difference in state tax credited.
No, I don't believe CA does that.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:35 pm

softmax wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:03 pm
The macmillan dictionary says:

to use something a lot, until it no longer works properly

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/ ... the-ground

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:35 pm
softmax wrote:
The macmillan dictionary says:

to use something a lot, until it no longer works properly

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/ ... the-ground
When it becomes a hooptie, as the young people say.
Hooptie. A decrepit car is one that is often old and damaged and is in a barely functional state. Numerous slang terms are used to describe such cars, which vary by country and region, including jalopy and banger. Age, neglect and damage tend to increase the expense of maintaining a vehicle.

ballons

Post by ballons » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:57 pm

softmax wrote:
Drive a reliable vehicle and until the resale value is below $500; when you sell the vehicle, it has to be towed away. IMHO, very few actually get to that point.

Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm

I currently drive a Model 3 and it's not perfect (some minor quality issues). But honestly, if I can help it I will never go back to driving a non-electric car. It's just so much more fun to drive, and the "autopilot" is a fantastic stress relief on long highway drives.

From a pure cost perspective, I can see where you are coming from. In many areas in California, driving electric isn't all that much less expensive than buying gas, and if the Tesla develops some serious defect, it will be expensive to repair out of warranty. Difficult decision.

Topic Author
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback people. I'll keep you posted.

mc7

Post by mc7 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:14 pm

Consider Clarity PHEV? That’s what I chose after trying out both Tesla S and 3. Before shelter-in-place I could get to and from work on battery. Like it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm

You are comparing apples to oranges so there is no right answer.

One thing I would look at is the relative safety ratings of the cars.

I would assume that the Tesla was pretty advanced 6 years ago but a lot of advanced safety features have been added to newer cars so it would take some research to figure out if there is a significant difference in the safety of the two cars.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:37 pm

If I were you I would trade for a PHEV, even if it costs a little bit more. I love my 2015 Volt and will most likely drive it into the ground. There are no new Volts for sale, sadly. However, note that PHEV warranty is 10 years/150k miles on drive train and battery.
You could probably buy a Volt for $10 to $20k depending on model year. If your Tesla is really worth $37k you will have up to $27k left over as a result of this trade.
Or buy a brand new PHEV from somebody who still makes them.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 am

Don't think it matters financially. Do what you want. It'd personally go with the Accord for the new 2020 tech factor, and new paint. Accord isn't just a crappy car either. It's a pretty nice car.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 am

eye.surgeon wrote:

I am not sure this trade will make you more frugal. The rate of depreciation at this point in time of your Tesla is lower than that of the new Honda.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 am

eye.surgeon wrote:

Didn’t see anyone ask this: You have a high income, but are you financially independent or on track to be FI? Wondering why all of a sudden you want to live so beneath your means? Some high income folks need to dial it back, and if this is you, I’d get the Honda. However, if you are FI, get a new Tesla and trade in the old one.

RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:44 am

eye.surgeon wrote:

Sell/trade before you have to do the battery swap.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am

If you do this it’ll be fine for awhile. Then you’ll want another luxury car. That is, If you bought the Tesla for any other reason than status.

azianbob

Post by azianbob » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:18 am

As long as you test drove the Accord and fine with the driving experience, I'd trade it in. Even though Tesla S are pretty reliable from what I hear, you would be getting a new car with a full warranty.

The downsides to consider is:

1. Increased maintenance costs - you have to go back to oil changes, other fluid changes. Tesla only requires tires and brakes when they run low and coolant changes once every 5 years.

2. Increased fuel costs: depending on how much you drive gas costs more than electricity. Although gas prices have been tanking recently and the relatively high MPG of the Accord will minimize this, especially if you drive on the lesser side.
3. Gadgets - the Tesla probably has a lot of cooler tech.

If it was me, I would do the trade, but I am one that does not care about car looks or name as much.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 pm
I'd do it in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd sell the Tesla and buy a $23k Accord instead. But I digress.
Yes, if the motivation is to save more money this seems a better move. But you can certainly afford to drive the Tesla and save plenty of money on a $500K income.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am
If you do this it’ll be fine for awhile. Then you’ll want another luxury car. That is, If you bought the Tesla for any other reason than status.
I don't know anyone who bought a Tesla because it's a luxury car. In fact, the interior is nothing to write home about even in the more expensive models. People buy Teslas because of the unique driving experience (effortless and silent acceleration), driver assistance system, software gadgets, and in some cases environmental reasons. They can also be surprisingly convenient (e.g. if you can charge at home or at work, you always come back to a fully charged vehicle without ever having to drive to a gas station). Personally I'd hate to lose all that by going back to a gas burner.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Eno Deb wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm
Murgatroyd wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am
I don't know anyone who bought a Tesla because it's a luxury car. In fact, the interior is nothing to write home about even in the more expensive models. People buy Teslas because of the unique driving experience (effortless and silent acceleration), driver assistance system, software gadgets, and in some cases environmental reasons. They can also be surprisingly convenient (e.g. if you can charge at home or at work, you always come back to a fully charged vehicle without ever having to drive to a gas station). Personally I'd hate to lose all that by going back to a gas burner.
Even though you are picky about words.....you made my point.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:02 pm

From my understanding (as someone with limited experience with luxury cars), Teslas have a type of appeal that's broadly similar to that of luxury cars, but different in manifestation.

A significant component of the buying market, both for a $90K Tesla S, and for a $90K Mercedes sedan, is driven by a sort of status appeal. The exact nature of that status appeal, and how the car caters to that through its physical characteristics, differs between the models, but I think its there in both cases. A ~$30-35K new Honda Accord is in a different ballpark. But I'd guess it's still a very competent vehicle, and probably far above what most in this country (let alone the world) drive.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:05 pm

RomeoMustDie wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:44 am
eye.surgeon wrote:

Sell/trade before you have to do the battery swap.
OP didn't give mileage of Tesla, but if it's worth $35K or so then it's nowhere near the mileage where it likely needs a battery swap soon. EV batteries last a very long time, with the exception of some Nissan LEAFs that lack proper cooling and used in hot climates.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm

softmax wrote:
I assume it would mean you are buried in it. But that's probably not what it means.

Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 pm

psteinx wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:02 pm
From my understanding (as someone with limited experience with luxury cars), Teslas have a type of appeal that's broadly similar to that of luxury cars, but different in manifestation.

A significant component of the buying market, both for a $90K Tesla S, and for a $90K Mercedes sedan, is driven by a sort of status appeal.
For me the only similarity between the more expensive Tesla models and something like an S-class is the price. But that price is simply a result of the high cost of the huge battery. The interior isn't anywhere near as fancy or "luxurious" as that of an S-class Mercedes.
The exact nature of that status appeal, and how the car caters to that through its physical characteristics, differs between the models, but I think its there in both cases. A ~$30-35K new Honda Accord is in a different ballpark.
In California the Tesla Model 3 is actually the 3rd best-selling vehicle, ahead of the Honda Accord. :P They start at around $40k. They are everywhere here.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Eventually, almost every car ends up at a scrapyard, before going off to be melted down, I guess.

In some cases, it's because the car is in a bad accident, but in most cases, it's because repair/operating costs escalate and the value of that car has declined. It's not an absolute thing - folks will be more willing to put money into keeping certain cars running than others, even if the absolute repair/operational costs are similar. Yugos have been (mostly) gone from the road for a LOOOONG time, but some other cars from that era (especially some pickups, Jeeps, luxury and/or sports cars) are more likely to be around, if only as a spare car in a garage or in a collector's warehouse.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Eno Deb wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 pm
In California the Tesla Model 3 is actually the 3rd best-selling vehicle, ahead of the Honda Accord. :P They start at around $40k. They are everywhere here.
I'm not a Tesla guy, but isn't a Model 3 roughly comparable in size/roominess to a Civic, whereas an S is more like an Accord (or perhaps a hair bigger than an Accord?)

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:45 pm

:sharebeer
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm
[snip] I'd trade for an Accord and go for a sport with a proper manual gearbox.
I’m also a manual gearbox enthusiast, but professional reviewers (and commenters who have driven both the manual and auto versions) say that the 10-speed auto is actually the better choice for this car. Disappointing to read that.

Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:57 pm

psteinx wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 pm
I'm not a Tesla guy, but isn't a Model 3 roughly comparable in size/roominess to a Civic, whereas an S is more like an Accord (or perhaps a hair bigger than an Accord?)
I would say in terms of roominess the Model 3 is more similar to an Accord than a Civic. It's about the same width and a few inches shorter, but that's because it doesn't need as big an engine compartment (i.e. it has a short "nose").