Utah Remote Job, where will you relocate ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Utah Remote Job, where will you relocate ?

Post by LiveSimple »

Actively looking to relocate from cold midwest to much warmer weather.
We are looking for 10 months of Sun, able to backyard garden, small city will be better.

Actively interviewing for a remote job in Utah, with travel to office a week every other month or each quarter.

So planning to think, which cities, we can consider, which will be near Utah by flight, say an hour or two hour flight.

Please share your thoughts... and suggest cities for relocation....
chevca

Re: Utah Remote Job, where will you relocate ?

Post by chevca »

Just within an hour or two flight of Utah? Your options are about the entire Southwest. Have you been to any of those states... like any of them more than others?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Anthem, Arizona or New River, AZ

NW corner of Phoenix. ~20,000+ community but quick access to Phoenix metro.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
BillyK

Post by BillyK »

If you are looking for warm weather, Southwest Utah starting at St. George and the surrounding towns is a good place to look. Winters in Utah are nothing like the Midwest. You have blue skies and sunshine with your snow and not the long drab gray winters like the Midwest. Cedar City, also known as Festival City USA is located north of St. George at a higher elevation and gets cooler during the winter, but you drop down to St. George in 40 minutes and then have warm weather for a contrast.

You don't say what part of Utah where you will be working. If you are working in the northeast part of Utah for example and have to fly out of a tiny airport such as the one in Vernal, your main connector flights will be out of either Salt Lake or Denver. You will be looking at longer flights than an hour or two unless you are able to drive in and out of Salt Lake for the state's main airport.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Grand Junction, Colorado
index245

Post by index245 »

I nominate suburban Los Angeles. Weather is unmatched and you wouldn't need to deal with the traffic given you are working remote.

We live in the LA area and love to garden, the plants (especially fruit trees) love it here.

Salt Lake City is a 2 hour flight. It is a very popular ski destination for Angelinos (and a beautiful place to visit, as well).
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

chevca wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 am Just within an hour or two flight of Utah? Your options are about the entire Southwest. Have you been to any of those states... like any of them more than others?
Two hours? That's the entire West Coast and pretty much any large City Delta flies into within 2-3 states East of Utah. Basically from St. Louis to California. Lots of choices there. Even Texas is only 2 1/2 hours.

If you're going to move, why not just live in Utah? If you can tell us what you don't like about Utah, perhaps we can suggest some place near Utah that doesn't have that aspect.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
chevca

Post by chevca »

True, but the 10 months of sun want do limit the choices somewhat. That's why I didn't say entire west half of the country. :happy
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Aside from Utah itself, there's also the Front Range area in Colorado. Fort Collins might fit the bill.

Within Utah I'd definitely look at St. George.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Really need a lot more information. For some Utah would be great, for others not so good and the same is true for most anywhere. Not to mention affordability. And how much traveling do you really want to do over the next few months?

You got all of Arizona with hugely different lifestyles/cost of living. And you have New Mexico with is also quite different. And many other places.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

BillyK wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 am You don't say what part of Utah where you will be working. If you are working in the northeast part of Utah for example and have to fly out of a tiny airport such as the one in Vernal, your main connector flights will be out of either Salt Lake or Denver. You will be looking at longer flights than an hour or two unless you are able to drive in and out of Salt Lake for the state's main airport.
The note says 45 minutes north of Salt Lake City. So I have to assume as you have stated,northeast part of Utah.
I see ogden airport in that area.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:17 am
chevca wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 am Just within an hour or two flight of Utah? Your options are about the entire Southwest. Have you been to any of those states... like any of them more than others?
If you're going to move, why not just live in Utah? If you can tell us what you don't like about Utah, perhaps we can suggest some place near Utah that doesn't have that aspect.
Never been to Utah so unable to compare. If we can be in shorts no winter jackets and we can grow a reasonable backyard garden, then fine.
One definition of my refinement is in our backyard, three should be a 2 feet Koi pond which never freezes as I have seen in LA suburbs.

1. Good garden will check for the Sun !!! and a year round gardening will be a check for 10 months of sun.
2. Low depth Koi pond will check the no freezing cold.
3. Can give any all the winter clothes and shoes
4. Will use slip on to go to groceries, library, etc.
5.Shorts and Tee shirt for the most part of the life
Last edited by LiveSimple on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Have you ever been out of the Midwest? I don't ask that to be mean. I'm asking because I grew up in MN, and if I think of what you're thinking of as a backyard garden, you may not find that in lots of 10 month sunshine areas. At least in the natural ground. There just isn't great dirt and soil everywhere. You may need to realize your garden might be in big planters/boxes.

This could be a pick two of the three, but not all three sort of choices.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 am
BillyK wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 am You don't say what part of Utah where you will be working. If you are working in the northeast part of Utah for example and have to fly out of a tiny airport such as the one in Vernal, your main connector flights will be out of either Salt Lake or Denver. You will be looking at longer flights than an hour or two unless you are able to drive in and out of Salt Lake for the state's main airport.
The note says 45 minutes north of Salt Lake City. So I have to assume as you have stated,northeast part of Utah.
That's likely Ogden or one of the towns nearby. You'd likely use SLC international anyway (Ogden-Hinckley is tiny.) St. George, however, might meet your climate requirements.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

chevca wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm Have you ever been out of the Midwest? I don't ask that to be mean. I'm asking because I grew up in MN, and if I think of what you're thinking of as a backyard garden, you may not find that in lots of 10 month sunshine areas. At least in the natural ground. There just isn't great dirt and soil everywhere. You may need to realize your garden might be in big planters/boxes.

Sure agreed soil is needed. that is what looking for perma culture areas...

I do see your point weather and location is good, you cannot afford the land to garden...

We have to acknowledge that we have travelled ... outside of midwest...
Last edited by LiveSimple on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm
That's likely Ogden or one of the towns nearby. You'd likely use SLC international anyway (Ogden-Hinckley is tiny.) St. George, however, might meet your climate requirements.
If you know the areas, how is Ogden... reasonable warm all around.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:38 pm
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm
If you know the areas, how is Ogden... reasonable warm all around.
Four seasons, pretty moderate. Winters are cold and snowy, but nothing like the bitterness you get in the Midwest. Spring rains a lot, and summer is hotter but dry. Fall is stunning. If you're looking for a year-round koi pond it's not the right climate for you.
chevca

Post by chevca »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:35 pm
chevca wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm Have you ever been out of the Midwest? I don't ask that to be mean. I'm asking because I grew up in MN, and if I think of what you're thinking of as a backyard garden, you may not find that in lots of 10 month sunshine areas. At least in the natural ground. There just isn't great dirt and soil everywhere. You may need to realize your garden might be in big planters/boxes.

Sure agreed soil is needed. that is what looking for perma culture areas...

I do see your point weather and location is good, you cannot afford the land to garden...

We have to acknowledge that we have travelled ... outside of midwest...
Just wanted to make sure. I barely left MN before I was almost 30 years old. I thought everywhere had lovely black dirt right in the back yard for folks to garden in. :happy

It can be done about anywhere though. Just takes some different techniques to make it work.
mattfr

Post by mattfr »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm That's likely Ogden or one of the towns nearby. You'd likely use SLC international anyway (Ogden-Hinckley is tiny.) St. George, however, might meet your climate requirements.
St. George is very nice, but you do need a sweater or light jacket during the winter. It can snow and freeze there, even if it doesn’t stick around for long.

Utah does have a state income tax, which is something you can potentially avoid by living in Nevada. Las Vegas would likely check many of your boxes.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

So you have no problem with heat or low rainfall? I still remember a cousin moving “south”. They thought it would be great for the kids to be able to play outside year round. They found that 6 months of the year it was too hot for the kids to be outside.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm So you have no problem with heat or low rainfall? I still remember a cousin moving “south”. They thought it would be great for the kids to be able to play outside year round. They found that 6 months of the year it was too hot for the kids to be outside.
Pools are great inventions for those hot summers. :wink:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

The Wasatch Front around Salt Lake City can experience episodes of some of the worst air pollution inversions in the country. This might be a consideration if your have respiratory issues.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Also I see there are earthquakes in Utah !!!
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Do consider Las Vegas, NV. Short flights, possible drives and no state income tax.

I would've said Reno, NV but you want to escape cold weather.
KT785

Post by KT785 »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:23 am Actively looking to relocate from cold midwest to much warmer weather.
We are looking for 10 months of Sun, able to backyard garden, small city will be better.

Actively interviewing for a remote job in Utah, with travel to office a week every other month or each quarter.

So planning to think, which cities, we can consider, which will be near Utah by flight, say an hour or two hour flight.

Please share your thoughts... and suggest cities for relocation....
Hey LiveSimple, if you increase you potential flight time by 30 minutes or so, that would open up parts of Texas as well. We live just north of San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country and gardening here would likely be more feasible than some of the places in the Southwest. You may want to look at some of the areas north of San Antonio and west of Austin (it's all technically Hill Country). As a fellow midwesterner, the Texas Hill Country checked all of my boxes and feels quite like home culturally (only hotter and with different vegetation).

KT785
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

KT785 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:06 pm Hey LiveSimple, if you increase you potential flight time by 30 minutes or so, that would open up parts of Texas as well. We live just north of San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country and gardening here would likely be more feasible than some of the places in the Southwest.
KT785
Thanks a lot, if I have to change anything have to change the flight time, as that is the more sporadic occurrence than anything, so will look at this cities you have listed. Seems like door to door flight + drive time will become 5 hours. However if the flight times becomes unmanageable, will be forced to look for another job... may be local or other remote job...
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

srt7 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm Do consider Las Vegas, NV. Short flights, possible drives and no state income tax.

I would've said Reno, NV but you want to escape cold weather.
Thanks a lot will look atLas Vegas, NV
KT785

Post by KT785 »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:10 pm
KT785 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:06 pm Hey LiveSimple, if you increase you potential flight time by 30 minutes or so, that would open up parts of Texas as well. We live just north of San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country and gardening here would likely be more feasible than some of the places in the Southwest.
KT785
Thanks a lot, if I have to change anything have to change the flight time, as that is the more sporadic occurrence than anything, so will look at this cities you have listed. Seems like door to door flight + drive time will become 5 hours. However if the flight times becomes unmanageable, will be forced to look for another job... may be local or other remote job...
No problem. One other thing to consider (though it might be a moot point) is the average cost of flights from various airports to Utah. My employer covers flight costs for remote employees if/when they're required to come on site, but if this isn't the case for you I'd factor that into the decision . . . shouldn't be a major issue if you have access to a major airport nearby, but could be a problem if you're relying on regional airports.

For us, San Antonio International is less than a 30 minute drive depending on traffic and is a hub for Southwest (I can readily fly back to the Midwest for dirt cheap on short notice). Austin International is more like an hour and a half drive for us but has more options for international flights (think Lufthansa, etc.).

KT785
index245

Post by index245 »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 am
Never been to Utah so unable to compare. If we can be in shorts no winter jackets and we can grow a reasonable backyard garden, then fine.
One definition of my refinement is in our backyard, three should be a 2 feet Koi pond which never freezes as I have seen in LA suburbs.

1. Good garden will check for the Sun !!! and a year round gardening will be a check for 10 months of sun.
Which LA suburbs have frozen koi ponds? Maybe Lancaster or Palmdale (high desert). I was thinking more on the lines of Ventura County (Thousand Oaks area) or Orange county, which are both temperate and nice. I live near the beach, which is the best option if budget allows.

That being said, Utah itself is quite nice. You should visit there first.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Here is a website that gives the average climate for cities in the US:
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/united-states/us
Use it to help you find a city that meets your shorts and tee requirements.

I live in SoCal and near the beach and have to wear long pants and a jacket sometimes.
Best Wishes, | Joe
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 am

Oh. Yea, Ogden isn't going to work. I think you're pretty limited to California, Nevada, and Arizona. Have you considered Tucson?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:24 pm Oh. Yea, Ogden isn't going to work. I think you're pretty limited to California, Nevada, and Arizona. Have you considered Tucson?
Yes will consider California, Nevada, and Arizona... those all sounds great...
Cwise

Post by Cwise »

You just described Orange County, CA. I have a year round garden. You didn't specify a budget. Are you renting? Do you need space for family?
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

JMacDonald wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:12 pm Here is a website that gives the average climate for cities in the US:
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/united-states/us
Use it to help you find a city that meets your shorts and tee requirements.

I live in SoCal and near the beach and have to wear long pants and a jacket sometimes.
Okay, understand, thanks... :D
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If you want perfect weather, then coastal Southern California. You pay the sunshine tax, but the weather is hard to beat.

If your job is in the salt lake area, then Salt Lake City itself. Sunny year round, not crazy hot or cold most of the time, scenic, reasonable housing prices, and a pleasant place to live, especially if you’re outdoorsy. Culturally middle of the road. Pretty much anyone can find the culture they desire someplace in or around the city.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

I have this crazy suspicion that the longer the casinos stay closed in Vegas, the cheaper their housing prices will get in the upcoming months. Unless this COVID thing clears up pretty fast, if "bargain" is on your list, I would strongly consider Vegas. But you will have to build planter boxes and install an irrigation system if you want to garden.