College in fall

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Gray

Re: College in fall

Post by Gray » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:29 am

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am

Also article on npr.com

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/20/83325457 ... en-in-fall

(more serious than usatoday)

cshell2

Post by cshell2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm

I wonder if all schools will take a similar approach or if some will decide to open and others not? If so, I wonder if there will be a movement of students towards schools opening their campus? I know a lot of people are sitting on acceptances and schools are pushing back the date you have to commit. Some as late as August now.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:26 pm

cshell2 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm
I wonder if all schools will take a similar approach or if some will decide to open and others not? If so, I wonder if there will be a movement of students towards schools opening their campus? I know a lot of people are sitting on acceptances and schools are pushing back the date you have to commit. Some as late as August now.
(Having been in the business) my guess is that some institutions will not survive this. We had a fair number of undistinguished expensive institutions with marginal finances before this.

I think there will be enough demand for the on-campus experience that highly ranked institutions will survive. And they will look similar, but not identical, to today. After some financial stringency.

Being a bit cynical (as I said, I was in the business): many students don't take advantage of the in-person experience, so in many cases on-line doesn't make that much of a difference. But it's not going to be possible to sell on-line education for the same money.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:38 pm

cshell2 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm
Right now I think there is a couple of things going on. The first is nobody knows what the fall will look like. Heck, we can't even say what the country will look like in June. So schools simply can't say what to expect for the fall. They want accepted students to attend in the fall and are trying to be accommodating as possible with deadlines, deferments, and such.

Universities are terrified at the idea of losing a lot of students. Universities count on the revenue generated by a certain level of enrollment, and that is even more so right now when state contributions, endowments, donations, etc. are all sharply down. They want either their currently accepted students to commit to attend, or to make room for students from the waitlist. The rumors I've heard are that my university plans to go aggressively after students at other schools if they think they might be up for grabs.

At the moment I think there is a game of chicken going on. No university wants to be the first to say they're going online as they're afraid students will choose to go to another university who is still offering the possibility of in-person classes. Once some big-name places like Harvard, Stanford, etc. say what they're doing for the fall, there will be a rush of similar announcements. Most universities will be in the same boat and will do similar things, they just don't want to be the first to say so. Plus there's the wishful thinking that in May we'll see some reason that the fall will magically be back to normal....

My guess is that, barring a miracle, nearly all schools will be online in the fall or otherwise have a non-standard fall semester. Even if things were looking okay in July-August, say, colleges would still be terrified of the risk of having an outbreak on campus. Can you imagine the uproar and lawsuits if the virus swept through a dorm in October and left a bunch of students hospitalized? The CDC head saying this coming winter might be worse than the current spring won't ease any of the university's lawyers' worries.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

runner540

Post by runner540 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:47 pm

I don’t think community colleges have unlimited capacity to absorb all the students that might want to enroll now. They would have to get more faculty on board.
Anyone have insight?

willardx

Post by willardx » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:50 pm

I guess what I would like to see, as the parent of an incoming freshman, is a proposed cost of tuition if classes cannot be held on campus. We don't find any of the alternatives being discussed (gap year, community college, etc.) very attractive, and resign ourselves to a less-than-optimal first semester/year for our child. But the thought of paying full price tuition for online classes really bugs me.

We have heard from current college students' parents that some colleges have handled online classes better than others. If the entirety of our child's college experience is online, we would want to sign up with a school that will make it as palatable as possible. Just thinking of that possibility, though, is so sad.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm

How are kids living in dorms and going to class any different than everyone else living in apartments and going to work?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 pm

TxAg wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm
How are kids living in dorms and going to class any different than everyone else living in apartments and going to work?
Last edited by stoptothink on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Notsobad

Post by Notsobad » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Regarding risk for college students vs. regular urban workers, this article does not compare the two, but shows how interconnected students are.

https://osf.io/6kuet/

Notsobad

Post by Notsobad » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Regarding risk for college students vs. regular urban workers, this article does not compare the two, but shows how interconnected students are.

https://osf.io/6kuet/

cshell2

Post by cshell2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Sounds like for now Purdue plans on resuming in the Fall.

https://www.purdue.edu/president/messag ... 1587517622

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:43 pm

TxAg wrote:
I would guess the interactions between students who are living in dorms and sharing eating, exercising, and classroom facilities is quite a bit more. But in any case, the real driver of decisions is liability and PR (and $$$, of course). Whether the students are better or worse off on campus is lower on the list of factors.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:48 pm

cshell2 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Interesting! We'll see if they can stick to it.

Fresno State (I think) is already said they expect the beginning of the fall to be online and Boston University (I think) floated the idea of starting the fall semester late.

I think any plans announced now are tentative, at best. For the sake of all, I hope classes are back on campus in the fall. It's better for the students, faculty, and staff, and for the local economies.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 pm

I have a high school senior whose post graduation plan was to attend a technical program that is hands on with a lab space full of tools no layperson would have. He as also applied for a full tuition scholarship that I think he had a good chance of getting (which does get selected til June 8-). I have encouraged him to look for a full time job right now (in part because the full time work he is most interested in would be less public facing and pandemic proof than his current part time job).

Who knows what will be available in the Fall. Current high school regime has made it abundantly clear that he is not a good candidate for full time online learning.

It looks like the liberal arts college down the street is gearing up for an in person May term. Not sure that’s a good idea or if it will happen.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 pm

DoTheMath wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:48 pm
Fresno State (I think) is already said they expect the beginning of the fall to be online and Boston University (I think) floated the idea of starting the fall semester late.
Fresno State, Fullerton, and all the other CSUs have been asked to develop contingency plans for the possibility of having no classes in-person in Fall. None of the CSUs have decided to cancel in-person classes yet. The media is taking the contingency planning entirely out of context.

A prime example of this is the LA Times article at https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ses-online. The headline says CSU Fullerton is doing Fall classes online even though the article quotes the campus as saying no definitive decision had been made yet and they were just planning for the possibility:
Ellen Treanor, associate vice president of strategic communications at Cal State Fullerton, said the university is giving faculty and staff time to prepare for remote instruction so they won’t be caught off guard. She said officials hope to make a final decision about the fall, with input from the Academic Senate, before the spring term ends May 22.
The disconnect between that quote and the headline LA Times decided to run is alarming. As with many things, it pays to be a critical thinker and confirm media stories at the source.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:02 pm

cshell2 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 pm

This is likely to reduce drop out rates, which are a major concern for colleges. Currently all UC institutions are preparing for online instruction. This is the time they would be planning or the August start and on campus housing. At least in California I don’t see colleges open in 3 months with social distancing restrictions expected through the year.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:08 am
(I think she wants to think carefully about what career she wants. There are many jobs in the field of computing which are more socially orientated - such as client support, sales support etc. Sitting in an open plan office with your headphones on, writing code? That doesn't sound like her. She might struggle with her classmates who will tend towards the anti-social. In my day women were 30% of computer science majors, it's now down to 10% I gather )
Small personal pet peeve here, so moderators feel free to delete this if it's too far off-topic... but the gender gap in CS is not going to be solved if parents take this sort of mindset to the discipline. It is a stereotype to say that CS people are anti-social and spend all their time coding with the headphones on. Coding is team-based at many tech companies, and, while you might have times where you're "in the zone" with solo coding, you will also have many design/planning/team-coding sessions where social skills are important. Anti-social people often damage their career advancement by not being good teammates, even if they are technically competent. There are also many subfields of CS where the soft skills are as important as the technical skills.

So I think Gray's daughter will be fine pursuing CS as a social person and she'll find plenty of CS careers beyond sales and client support. As a woman who has gone up through this male-dominated field, I won't say it will be easy. However, I wouldn't let the gender gap dissuade her from pursuing this career, particularly if she really likes coding, algorithmic thinking, engineering, or data science. An inquiring mind should be nourished and supported, not dissuaded from their passions.

Gray

Post by Gray » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:14 pm

My daughter is going into CS because she’s social, a very focused problem solver (for fun during this quarantine, she tears through 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles), and she wants to be involved in technology. She likes coding and has an A in BC calculus. She’ll have taken AP computer science and NOVA’s 3 core computer science classes before she starts college in the fall. She’s also taking a cloud computing and network infrastructure course.

She’s planning on a double major, engineering/CS and Business IT/cyber, with minors in Math and engineering/cyber. This will be followed by graduate school. Unlike when I went to school, money is not a concern.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:34 pm

I have heard from multiple families that their kids would like to take the fall semester off if classes are not back on campus. This is becoming "a thing."

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:44 pm

TxAg wrote:
Living in a college town, in a neighborhood normally filled with students, the answer to this was readily apparent in the couple of weeks between when the neighborhood as a whole began distancing and the students were sent home.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:57 pm

TxAg wrote:
It depends on whether the work environment allows for practical social distancing. If you work at a law firm and all the lawyers have their own office, it's possible to maintain social distancing. If you work in an open office environment with chairs spaced so close together you can't stretch your arms without bumping into the person next to you, you could be at the same risk or higher as students going to class.

Gray

Post by Gray » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:34 pm
I have heard from multiple families that their kids would like to take the fall semester off if classes are not back on campus. This is becoming "a thing."
Virginia Tech Admissions says (and these are quotes):

We will entertain requests for deferral per normal office policies and procedures. The student needs to email appchange@vt.edu **before** the May 1 deadline with the request and reason. That request will be reviewed by the Director and either granted or denied.

Per University Directive dated 3/30: Due to the current situation, deferred students will be allowed to take course work at another institution (up to 30 hours). They risk their offers if they don’t do well in those courses. Please contact appchange@vt.edu regarding deferment.

April Town Hall: Virginia Tech expects to announce plans for the fall academic semester in early June

(Now it’s early “to mid” June as of 4/23)

What I wonder is how their policy will stand in the face of students balking at taking online courses *after* their window for deferring has passed. They can lose their admission offer. I also wonder if students will balk at paying full price for remote learning, especially while living at the university (if a hybrid arrangement is adopted). I also wonder what the policies will be for students who get COVID-19 and take time to recover. That will really set them back in their coursework.

RevFran

Post by RevFran » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:45 pm

I am a university professor and this is the most interesting thing I’ve read on this

https://www.insidehighered.com/digital- ... -scenarios

valleyrock

Post by valleyrock » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:40 pm

protagonist wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 am
Just an idea (I don't know if this would work but others could chime in)....

Assuming your child was accepted in a $60K/year school....when August comes and it seems like they are still only offering online education at full price, ask to defer enrollment for a year and have your child attend community college online for the first year. If they take a full challenging curriculum they should hopefully be able to transfer the credits to the private university and you will have saved the bulk of the $60K. The online education would probably not be much (if at all) inferior .... they would just be taking freshman core courses.
But apply on time in order to have the community college as an option. It may well be very competitive to get in to a community college, and they may not have room for all qualified applicants.

Then there's Kahn Academy, and MOOCs (see mooc.org). All free. Many MOOCs give certificates, etc. But don't be a moax and do jack.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:23 am

Calhoon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:55 am
My daughter is graduating from high school this June and is planning on starting college this coming fall a state over.

I know that our state universities have sent students home where they're taking classes remotely online.

Sounds like the best guess at this point is that the virus may or may not wane in the summer months but will most likely rebound in the normal flu season.

Are plans changing for kids going to college next fall? Seems like a lot of money to spend if my daughter is going to wind up taking classes from my basement.
What is the difference? Will you consider delaying her start based on an online semester? I am genuinely confused by your question. If classes are remote in the fall, you will pay for the tuition, books and fees as normal. What you won’t pay for is her accommodation or food. It is that simple.

My daughter is a junior who is finishing her year online, and she has taken various classes online previously, two to be precise prior to this. It is fairly common even for resident full time students. Her school is anticipating fall semester being online as well, but have not made the call yet. She is registered for her classes regardless and has enrolled in a summer semester course as well.

Back to my original question, why is this a concern? Ultimately she will spend the majority of her university life on campus.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:37 am

If VT is only offering online classes in the fall, I don't see many (if any at all) comparable colleges doing on campus classes. Anyway, I would be fine with my college kids taking classes online in the fall. Sure it has its obstacles, but what a good opportunity to learn to overcome it as a family!

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 am

Monsterflockster wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am
Calhoon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:55 am
My daughter is graduating from high school this June and is planning on starting college this coming fall a state over.

I know that our state universities have sent students home where they're taking classes remotely online.

Sounds like the best guess at this point is that the virus may or may not wane in the summer months but will most likely rebound in the normal flu season.

Are plans changing for kids going to college next fall? Seems like a lot of money to spend if my daughter is going to wind up taking classes from my basement.
My advice and what many families are doing: deferring admittance for a semester/year and going to the local Junior College to start.

Why pay for a non-refundable room & meal plan if they’re at home anyway? JV classes will be online and save you a lot of money.

As for transferring credits... look into it but to most universities they transfer. I have seen students transfer to Cal, Stanford, Ivy Leagues, etc. from a JC. It is much easier in state as many have to accepted all credits is an AA is earned but if you transfer early still only one or two classes may not be accepted due to the way the course is strictured. I have never heard of a school not accepting any of thevtransfer credits.

One family I know hadbtheir child go to JC then transfer to CAL then to Stanford med school. The money they saved on those two years was upwards of 120k.

I’d look into it. Definitely worth the option.
State Universities are not charging room and meal under current conditions and our state refunded balances for the current semester which I assume is the national norm. Taking classes online for even resident students is fairly normal, often it is the only option for necessary classes, although not in all cases. Often scheduling conflicts drive enrolling for online vs classroom, but it is more common than most think and why schools were able to transition to online so seamlessly. Zoom is less common than blackboard and online lectures. My daughter has used zoom this semester for group projects only. Not actual class work.

Additionally for tuition, State schools and JCs have little to no difference in price. The cost difference occurs with room and board, not basic tuition. Private schools will differ.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:13 am

3504PIR wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 am
Additionally for tuition, State schools and JCs have little to no difference in price. The cost difference occurs with room and board, not basic tuition. Private schools will differ.
That's not really true about state schools in California, although I realize California has a different higher education structure than many other states by having three levels of state-supported schools. California community colleges are much cheaper than California State University campuses (CSUs) and CSUs are cheaper than University of California campuses. There are also the California community college tuition waiver programs, although I don't know the current funding status of those programs.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 am

You gotta think in terms of competitive advantage. If some students delay starting college this fall for a semester or two, then there will be a lower than usual amount of graduates 4 years down the road. Be one of the few, and enjoy more employers competing over fewer potential hires.

Learning at home sucks compared to going to class in person (in my opinion anyway), but 1 semester of it won't kill you, and you'll get back on track afterwards. Meanwhile you'll be ahead of the curve of everyone that chose differently.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:40 am

The college tuition bubble is literally imploding before our eyes...who had global pandemic on their list of potential ways it might burst?

If you have a child starting school in the fall or returning for their second year evidence is mounting that you have leverage over what you pay.

Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:26 am

Rainier wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:40 am
The college tuition bubble is literally imploding before our eyes...who had global pandemic on their list of potential ways it might burst?

If you have a child starting school in the fall or returning for their second year evidence is mounting that you have leverage over what you pay.
How so? As there seems to be near-consensus in this thread that online learning is a poor alternative, how does this de-value the prior and hopefully future in-person experience? Obviously, some (or even many) institutions will not survive this crisis, but how does vanishing supply translate into lower prices in the longer term?

As a professor at a well known institute of higher learning in the Boston area, I can add that at this point all that exists for the fall is a multitude of what-if scenarios, but decisions are still 1-2 months out. I am spending some fraction of my time preparing for another semester of mostly online teaching, just in case.

I'm somewhat amused by the get-a-job or travel-the-world-and-meet-people gap year proposals. If the situation is bad enough for colleges to forego in-person classes, the likely alternative to online education is sitting in the basement playing video games.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:29 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:13 am
3504PIR wrote:
That's not really true about state schools in California, although I realize California has a different higher education structure than many other states by having three levels of state-supported schools. California community colleges are much cheaper than California State University campuses (CSUs) and CSUs are cheaper than University of California campuses. There are also the California community college tuition waiver programs, although I don't know the current funding status of those programs.
It's also not the case here in Utah, which has really cheap in-state options. Local U = ~$7k tuition + fees per year, local CC = ~$3,800 tuition + fees per year. In Arizona and Texas, two other states where I have personal experience as a student and/or professor (and I started at a UC), CC is also ~40% cheaper than local U.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:38 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:
Fair enough and there are plenty of CA posters here for it to matter. However, in the rest of the country the difference is much less. Additionally, something I failed to mention is that the steady accumulation of course credits in relevant courses is the key. Think about how many of these college threads talk about the length of time our children spend getting a degree. Knock out thos hours in the format they’ve been entered into. Heck, do more and make up some time.

Gray

Post by Gray » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 am

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 am

3504PIR wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:38 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:
Fair enough and there are plenty of CA posters here for it to matter. However, in the rest of the country the difference is much less.
The average tuition cost nationally for a CC is ~$3400/yr for in-district student, the average cost of tuition for public U is ~$9,200 https://www.affordablecolleges.com/rank ... -colleges/ for in-state. And the fees and living costs tend to be cheaper as well. Maybe $6k/yr isn't a lot to you, but CCs are on average (nationally) less than half the cost of public universities.

cshell2

Post by cshell2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:19 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 am
3504PIR wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:38 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:
Fair enough and there are plenty of CA posters here for it to matter. However, in the rest of the country the difference is much less.
The average tuition cost nationally for a CC is ~$3400/yr for in-district student, the average cost of tuition for public U is ~$9,200 https://www.affordablecolleges.com/rank ... -colleges/ for in-state. And the fees and living costs tend to be cheaper as well. Maybe $6k/yr isn't a lot to you, but CCs are on average (nationally) less than half the cost of public universities.
There's still a lot of variation. I'm in MN and the CC in our town is $175/credit. The regional 4 year university in the same town is $251/credit, but it tops out at 13 credits, all credits over that (to 18) are free, so really they're pretty close. But, the flagship is $512/credit (more for a couple of the colleges in the university). Same deal with flat rate once you hit 13 credits, but definitely a lot cheaper to go the CC route in that case.

Sandwich

Post by Sandwich » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Saw information on an offer from Arizona State's online education arm on another education related blog.

A few courses such as math and writing are available at a discounted rate for the summer. The $ 99 summer teaser rate is lower than the tuition for the local community college. I checked and the public college / university system in my state accepts some courses for transfer credit so I am having DS give one of the math courses a try. Beats spending the summer bingewatching TV.

Link --> https://ea.asu.edu/

RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf » Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Cal State Univ (all 23 campuses in California) announced today that all their classes in Fall 2020 will be online, rather than dealing with the challenges of ensuring social distancing on campus. This affects half a million undergraduates.

My son will be starting his senior year at a CSU in the Fall -- I know he's disappointed, especially because his major is film production, and this academic year would be giving him hands-on experience with school equipment. One of my son's classmates is considering a gap year.

I listened to Univ of VA (UVA) president on a news show on Sunday discuss the challenges that universities face to ensure social distancing on campus, whether it is in the classroom or in the dining halls, and needing space to isolate students who have been infected or exposed to infected students. Also, the challenge of needing adequate testing for students and staff.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 pm

If your normal 4-year public university is going to do only online classes this next year, I would strongly consider doing classes at a community college and then transferring the credits next year. Should be quite a bit cheaper and it’s not like you’re missing out on the “college experience.”

Gray

Post by Gray » Wed May 13, 2020 3:03 am

I told my daughter that if she’s facing a 6-week semester, online classes, etc, she’s going to be deferred. I will not pay gold for lead.

The amount I’m setting aside to “out of pocket” pay for her meal plan will pay for two CC classes per semester.

She might even get an opportunity to get a job!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 13, 2020 8:36 am

Cal State just announced fall will be all remote, rumor is UC will soon announce the same. This is going to have some widespread repercussions.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Wed May 13, 2020 9:17 am

RetiredCSProf wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 pm
Cal State Univ (all 23 campuses in California) announced today that all their classes in Fall 2020 will be online, rather than dealing with the challenges of ensuring social distancing on campus. This affects half a million undergraduates.

My son will be starting his senior year at a CSU in the Fall -- I know he's disappointed, especially because his major is film production, and this academic year would be giving him hands-on experience with school equipment. One of my son's classmates is considering a gap year.

I listened to Univ of VA (UVA) president on a news show on Sunday discuss the challenges that universities face to ensure social distancing on campus, whether it is in the classroom or in the dining halls, and needing space to isolate students who have been infected or exposed to infected students. Also, the challenge of needing adequate testing for students and staff.
It's a big problem. The classroom itself isn't too bad in most cases, but students milling about after class, or in hallways is a bigger challenge, and residential dorms are an entirely separate problem.

Some proposals I've seen are for more hybrid classes and/or for classes that have to be in person (dance, labs, etc.) continuing while the rest of the university moved online. I don't know if that's CSUs model but they're surely setting a precedent and they educate 3% of the undergrads nationally.

RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf » Wed May 13, 2020 11:27 am

The CSUs are planning to make some exceptions to online classes in the Fall -- nursing students need to earn clinical hours as part of their training.

crit

Post by crit » Wed May 13, 2020 3:08 pm

If you can broaden your scope beyond your students and think about the other human forms on campus -- who may be more at-risk healthwise than students? --

Every fall & winter, every class is full of hacking and sniffling and sneezing. It's the soundtrack to college instruction. I will avoid going into those rooms at all costs.

My understanding is that my institution plans to make online teaching an option for any faculty, regardless of their eventual institutional decision. So that means -- even if your kid goes to college, s/he may be attending class by computer in their dorm anyway.

You might want to watch UCSD -- they are piloting their own track & trace, starting with 5,000 students now on campus. Statistically speaking, they're likely to find a few cases, who've been exposing roomates and classmates and .....................

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:36 am
Cal State just announced fall will be all remote, rumor is UC will soon announce the same. This is going to have some widespread repercussions.
I think that all of the Washington public universities are very likely to do the same. Initially, most of them were saying that they were 'planning' on face-to-face courses, but that was just a ruse in order to keep enrollment numbers up.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 pm
stoptothink wrote:
I think that all of the Washington public universities are very likely to do the same. Initially, most of them were saying that they were 'planning' on face-to-face courses, but that was just a ruse in order to keep enrollment numbers up.
There goes PAC-12 football...

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:24 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
There goes PAC-12 football...
Yep.

More than that, athletics programs at many public universities are about to get slashed.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra » Wed May 13, 2020 5:53 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Initially, most of them were saying that they were 'planning' on face-to-face courses, but that was just a ruse in order to keep enrollment numbers up.
My thinking exactly. I like reading in the news how they “are committed to having in-person classes in the fall.” Let’s see how well that commitment holds up when they have to comply with state orders to close and/or confront the legal liability risks inherent with proceeding.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm glad all this will be sorted out before I make my first 529 contribution next year (or later, if this keeps up).

The bubble bursting is a huge part of why I was never interested in feeding the higher ed beast earlier than needed. If I were in the position of subsidizing any kind of college next year I would not be paying for "online classes" at standard tuition rates. There will be no choice but to push the costs down, and it's about time.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth... | Rules to wealth building: 100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex