Is this what a Mr. Money Mustache Economy would look like?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Is this what a Mr. Money Mustache Economy would look like?

Post by PhillyPhan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 am

There has always been a response to MMM principals that if everyone embraced them the economy would suffer. Now I understand this is extreme as MMM principals would not shut down schools and other businesses, however it does seem similar in a way (no dining out, shopping, gasoline, etc.).

livesoft

Re: Is this what a Mr. Money Mustache Economy would look like?

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am

Yes, I think so. However, most of these 3+ million filers for unemployment will not start early retirement blogs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am
Yes, I think so. However, most of these 3+ million filers for unemployment will not start early retirement blogs.
In hindsight, is it safe to say his recommendations for "fluff" economic activity (in his view) were reckless or not?

nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 am

PhillyPhan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am
livesoft wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am
In hindsight, is it safe to say his recommendations for "fluff" economic activity (in his view) were reckless or not?
Given that his income derived from his blog there will always be clickbait because that’s required for a highly successful site.

I’m a fan of FIRE even if I’m a bit old for the E part but all the popular sites have to be taken with a grain of salt.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am

PhillyPhan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am
No. The world needs fluff, so it is not safe to say that. Indeed, if one has a lot of fluff spending, then that may make one more anti-fragile if they have built up a nest egg. For instance, if we take charitable giving out of our budget and eating out 5 nights a week, then our spending goes way down if we want it to.

One might say though that one should not have a job providing fluff to others.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 am

Topic is locked (not personal, not actionable). General comments are off-topic by forum policy.
This subforum is for personal financial issues that don't involve investments. Examples of acceptable topics are:

- insurance
- employment issues
- credit card and credit rating issues
- mortgage and loan issues
- legal issues that have a financial component like wills and pre-nuptial agreements

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) financial life. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.