Capital One Online Check Deposit Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lilblu

Capital One Online Check Deposit Question

Post by lilblu » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:15 pm

I plan on opening a Capital One checking account online. My primary checking account is at BB&T, can I write myself a check from BB&T and deposit it at Capital One? I would think I could, it just seems weird for some reason.

Do check deposits have to be done through their app? Or can I upload through their website?

Are there any other banks that allow you to open an account online and also allow checks to be deposited through their website?

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions, and poorly worded too. I was originally planning on opening an account at a local bank, but I can't now because of the Coronavirus. They don't allow people to open an account online. This particular account will be just for paying bills. I think now is a good time to start doing online bill paying.

obgraham

Re: Capital One Online Check Deposit Question

Post by obgraham » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:56 pm

You can deposit acheck at Cap One, or Ally, via their web site.

What varies is the length of time they hold the funds before they are available to you. Personal checks get held longer. Sometimes a week.

Easier to link your local acct to your online acct and make the transfer that way. Faster, too.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm

For what you want to do, just doing a direct transfer from your bank to capital one would be the best and fastest. It’s easy to set up on the Capital One website once you have the account open.

As far as depositing checks, I think you can do it from the website, but you have to have pictures of both sides of the check. I would think it would be easier to do with the phone app.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 am

There is no problem moving money between banks with a mobile deposit. As to whether you can use a laptop, it depends on the bank. A quick look at the website for Capital One does not seem to give an option for a check deposit using the website. It looks like you would need to use the app. If you have a device that can support the app, it is not only easier but is often safer than using the website.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 am

I have Capital One. I have not seen the ability to deposit checks via the website. I use their mobile phone app to deposit checks.

But another way would be to zelle money between accounts. I do this, works well if you are under the dollar limits.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:37 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm
For what you want to do, just doing a direct transfer from your bank to capital one would be the best and fastest. It’s easy to set up on the Capital One website once you have the account open.

As far as depositing checks, I think you can do it from the website, but you have to have pictures of both sides of the check. I would think it would be easier to do with the phone app.
Cubicle wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 am
I have Capital One. I have not seen the ability to deposit checks via the website. I use their mobile phone app to deposit checks.

But another way would be to zelle money between accounts. I do this, works well if you are under the dollar limits.
It was feature a number of years ago but it's been removed.