[Work From Home] - What does your company pay for?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
carac33

[Work From Home] - What does your company pay for?

Post by carac33 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Before the COVID19 breakout, my company started mandating my position works from home 1 out of 6 days (it will turn into 2 out 6 once we are fully staffed). I work at a Megacorp and I am on the phone all day, yet they don't provide a phone or pay a portion of phone bill They did offer a WFH package, but in order to receive it, you had to agree that the company would not pay for your phone bill or any extra expenses caused by working from home. I didn't want to agree to that, so I didn't order package. I just got a new iPhone and when I'm in the office my battery lasts for 3 days, when I WFH I need to charge it every night--I'm wondering why I have to kill my battery just to do my job.

What do your companies offer for those of you that have to WFH? Is it unreasonable for me to think they should subsidize phone bill or give corporate phone?

Normchad

Re: WFH - What does your company pay for?

Post by Normchad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 pm

I kinda consider WFH to be an amazing privilege. I don’t mind spending my own money to setup my home office to be just the way I want it, and a very productive environment.

If nothing else, I used to spend time and money to commute to and from the office. I think the relief from that burden more than compensates me for the broadband usage, the extra air conditioning, phone usage, etc.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm

We receive a laptop. Nothing else.

tsohg

Post by tsohg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm

A new battery costs < $100. Is this a hill you really want to die on?

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:51 pm

My company reimburses $50 monthly cell phone bill as normal policy.

Now that everyone is working from home they rolled out a $500 reimbursement for desks / chairs / monitors / childcare.

My wife’s company’s daycare shut down. We are getting a full refund plus $100 per day reimbursement for alternative child care for a max of 20 days. Also they shipped an iPad to her overnight (even though she already has a laptop, go figure).

Facebook is giving all employees $1000.
Last edited by HEDGEFUNDIE on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Your company seems unreasonable.

That said, I'm not clear why WFH means you have to kill your battery. Your company should be providing you a soft phone that allows you to dial out from your extension from your computer. But even in the absence of that, if you have to use your iPhone at home, there's no reason it can't be plugged into a charger most of the time, and therefore remain relatively full.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:58 pm

You are saving time by not commuting, and the mileage on your car, gas etc. Its a perk. Plug the phone in and keep it charging. My Samsung drains like crazy. I worked contract, and was able to work from home (200 miles from the office) at times. Enjoy. My SIL paces the floor at home all day on the phone does not even manage to load the dishes or a load of clothes he is so focused. Don't be that guy.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:02 pm

My company just sends out a laptop and the rest is up to you (although they did buy me a chair because I complained). It's easier to just negotiate a small salary increase every year than try to get them to pay your phone bill or decorate your home office.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:03 pm

when I WFH I need to charge it every night--I'm wondering why I have to kill my battery just to do my job.
Do you realize how silly this sounds? You are complaining because you have to charge your phone every night?

jay99

Post by jay99 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:04 pm

I pay $10 a month for landline. A small price to pay for professional and clear connection for work at home calls. I don't expect Mega Corp to reimburse me. I get a free unlimited Verizon /Apple cell phone but, prefer landline for home office.

Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:07 pm

oldfort wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:03 pm
when I WFH I need to charge it every night--I'm wondering why I have to kill my battery just to do my job.
Do you realize how silly this sounds? You are complaining because you have to charge your phone every night?
Exactly this. Just think about all those folks who cannot do their jobs from home and are laid off. Please get some perspective.

HawkeyePierce

Re: [Work From Home] - What does your company pay for?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 pm

* $90/month cell phone reimbursement
* $45/month home internet reimbursement
* $600 one-time expense for whatever you want to outfit your workspace (sounds like they're going to bump this up)

We moved to mandatory WFH three weeks ago. The cell phone reimbursement has been in place for ages but the other two are new policies.
Last edited by HawkeyePierce on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 pm

We normally only do it once a week, and my megacorp doesn’t pay for anything. I consider it a great perk though.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 pm

Nothing.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:07 am

carac33 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm
What do your companies offer for those of you that have to WFH? Is it unreasonable for me to think they should subsidize phone bill or give corporate phone?
I'm retired 9 years now but the last 2 or three years I was working I mostly worked from home. I saved money on commuting but convenience was the biggest benefit. It never occurred to me to ask for compensation.

The company already issued employees a new laptop every 2 or 3 years.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:14 am

What is the “WFH package” offered by your company?

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:19 am

My position was always work from home. My Internet and a phone (cell or landline) are paid for up to $125/month. They do not reimburse for two phones. They provide laptop, monitor, external keyboard and mouse, office supplies. I also submit mileage to the airport for business trips which is typically $30 per round trip.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 am

My MEGA CORP offers WFH as a perk for those that can. They offer nothing as far as reimbursement.
You are saving commute time, gas, wear & tear on your vehicle. You are trading spending your own utilities & internet. Seems a fair trade to me...

As far as being on the cell all day, does your company offer a softphone solution? We have been pushing a move to softphones very hard in mega corp prior to the pandemic. Adoption was mixed before, but now everyone is screaming for it...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Mako

Post by Mako » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:49 am

I work from home full time. We get a laptop, keyboard, two monitors, router, printer, and paper and toner when needed--this is the same stuff those at the office get. I also have a physical phone packed away somewhere but use a softphone.

The only special thing is I get 50% of my internet bill reimbursed (it would be 100% if I certified that I used it only for work with no personal use, but I can't imagine anybody can honestly say that).

This is the federal government.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 am

SimonJester wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 am
My MEGA CORP offers WFH as a perk for those that can. They offer nothing as far as reimbursement.
You are saving commute time, gas, wear & tear on your vehicle. You are trading spending your own utilities & internet. Seems a fair trade to me...
Retired now, but spent time WFH previously. In my case, I'd guess the increase in my utility and internet expenses as a result of WFH activity barely moved the needle.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 am

carac33 wrote:
Before the COVID19 breakout, my company started mandating my position works from home 1 out of 6 days (it will turn into 2 out 6 once we are fully staffed). I work at a Megacorp and I am on the phone all day, yet they don't provide a phone or pay a portion of phone bill They did offer a WFH package, but in order to receive it, you had to agree that the company would not pay for your phone bill or any extra expenses caused by working from home. I didn't want to agree to that, so I didn't order package. I just got a new iPhone and when I'm in the office my battery lasts for 3 days, when I WFH I need to charge it every night--I'm wondering why I have to kill my battery just to do my job.

1. Wow. I know quite a few people right now who haven't been given the option to work from home and continue to be paid; instead they have been furloughed/laid off/business closed and no longer have a steady paycheck. As others have noted, most people who work from home realize significant cost savings in gas and other expenses involved in working in an office, not to mention the convenience and other benefits of working from home. Count your blessings.

2. As far as the phone, try Google Voice using your computer speaker and microphone. Doesn't cost a penny for domestic calls and no battery to charge.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:00 am

Man oh man, some people! Really? People have been urging more wfh, but there’s always at least one in a crowd that makes employers think better of it.

My wife is sheltering in place, so all work is at home. We upgraded her office over the garage, and might purchase a stand up desk. She leaves her cell phones plugged in, and the laptops also. It might kill the batteries earlier than normal, but these are not normal times. I think she gets reimbursed for the business cellphone, although we pay it.

Some savings:
- potentially our lives (admittedly an unknown, but since we are high risk demographic, odds greater than 0%)
- dry cleaning costs since she doesn’t wear a suit when wfh (anyone think of a handy way to short cleaners?)
- commuting costs (tolls, gas and oil, wear and tear) and time
- delta cost of eating meals at work
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 am
SimonJester wrote:
Retired now, but spent time WFH previously. In my case, I'd guess the increase in my utility and internet expenses as a result of WFH activity barely moved the needle.
Biggest change is keeping the thermostat up, normally you would turn down the heat while away from the house, not so much when you WFH.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 am

carac33 wrote:

Is this some kind of joke? Your company allows to to work from home and you complain about your phone battery dying?

What about the decreasing out of pocket expense for: commuting to/from the office, professional attire, TIME - ability to start dinner, a load of laundry, get deliveries inside as soon as they are delivered. The list goes on.

Do you think it's unreasonable to ask your boss why you have to kill you car just to get to work to do you job?

End rant.

I get $120/month for tech which is for phone/internet + $700/month for a vehicle.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am

OP, I don’t know if your post is a rant or if you are going to actually approach your company for phone reimbursement based on what other people receive per the responses here.

But unless you incur incremental phone expenses directly related to your business use 1 or 2 days a week, this is likely not a good time to push back on your company’s policy of not reimbursing phone expense. If you do, at best it might come off as “tone deaf” given what’s going on in the world right now. At worst, you might earn a spot on any potential layoff list.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am
OP, I don’t know if your post is a rant or if you are going to actually approach your company for phone reimbursement based on what other people receive per the responses here.

But unless you incur incremental phone expenses directly related to your business use 1 or 2 days a week, this is likely not a good time to push back on your company’s policy of not reimbursing phone expense. If you do, at best it might come off as “tone deaf” given what’s going on in the world right now. At worst, you might earn a spot on any potential layoff list.
This may be a troll post. Op has 6 posts.

When working, megacorp supplied a laptop and headphone for soft telephony. An extra monitor, internet etc was on me.
Actually wfh, often gave better response than in office.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 am

I was going to say I think we might be being a little hard on the OP, but based on this post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276430&p=4449588#p4449588 balanced against the weird time we're in, it looks like the OP has enough money to pay for a phone battery, so we probably aren't.

I do think your employer needs to provide you a softphone if you're to work at home and maybe kick a bit toward your Internet access cost, but not much else. Chances are they already have the softphone available to them and they're looking into deploying it. I'd forget the Internet chip-in for a while but you could raise it in a few months if you are working from home a third of the time.

I will admit it seems weird to have turned down a work from home assistance package because you didn't want to agree they wouldn't pay your expenses, so now you're working at home without the package and they're still not paying your expenses. Not sure what you accomplished there.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 am

Instead of using your cell phone all day, get a Google Voice number and a headset. It's free and works pretty well.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am
... at best it might come off as “tone deaf” given what’s going on in the world right now. At worst, you might earn a spot on any potential layoff list.
My wife and I had an informal “ingrate and/or rude” list that we kept in the back of our minds as potential first-to-go candidates. Nobody likes a jerk.

If OP is a troll, so be it, but others might benefit from taking this to heart. Times are tough out there, and there’s no upside to bad behavior. I know, directly, of someone whose bonus was affected by being rude to a waiter. Discretionary cuts both ways.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34 am

I've been 100% WFH for about 10 years. My location and lack of commute is my main perk. I use company-provided computer hardware, cell phone, other needed hardware, and shipping materials. They offer office supplies and printer ink, but just buying them myself (maybe $100/year) is less painful than the reimbursement process.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 am

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 pm
This. Some of my employees were not even provided a laptop, they had to figure out how to get their desktop home and set it up. They all did it, and are being more productive than usual (think many of them see this as an opportunity to prove that they can work from home).

My employer is also providing breakfast and lunch for those who have to go into the office and is providing hand sanitizer and other cleaning products (we produce them, but are completely sold out to consumers) to all employees who will go to pick it up. I'm feeling very thankful about the response from my employer, really showing they value employees.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:50 am

SimonJester wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 am
SimonJester wrote:
Biggest change is keeping the thermostat up, normally you would turn down the heat while away from the house, not so much when you WFH.
We were paying MIL to watch my son in our home, she was turning up (or down) the thermostat all day. She turned it immediately to 76 every morning, we're fine with 66. Not to mention she was eating our food. Looking forward to lower utilities and food costs while we work from home.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:42 am

If you don’t want to WFH, go work at the office. If that isn’t an option (or you don’t want to be there) start taking PTO. If you don’t like that, just quit.

Sometimes in these boards we talk about the importance of figuring out how to earn more. In that spirit, people should be willing to spend their own money. You can take more training to improve your job skills. You can get teeth whitening or golf lessons to improve your sales performance. Take Dale Carnegie courses to,learn how to get along better with people. Take some initiative at self improvement.

And try to make it easy for your employer to like you. Business is cold, but it is run by individual people with feelings and biases. Don’t be the person who is in a pain to deal with. Don’t be the guy whining about your phone battery and your paycheck when people are dying.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:50 am

Normchad wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:42 am
[snip]Don’t be the guy whining about your phone battery and your paycheck when people are dying.
+1. My wife has one employee hospitalized and on a respirator. OP would get a surprise result if he talked to her about his battery life.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 am

Normchad wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:42 am
If you don’t want to WFH, go work at the office. If that isn’t an option (or you don’t want to be there) start taking PTO. If you don’t like that, just quit.

Sometimes in these boards we talk about the importance of figuring out how to earn more. In that spirit, people should be willing to spend their own money. You can take more training to improve your job skills. You can get teeth whitening or golf lessons to improve your sales performance. Take Dale Carnegie courses to,learn how to get along better with people. Take some initiative at self improvement.

And try to make it easy for your employer to like you. Business is cold, but it is run by individual people with feelings and biases. Don’t be the person who is in a pain to deal with. Don’t be the guy whining about your phone battery and your paycheck when people are dying.
Great post. I am overwhelmed by my employer's reaction, so thankful to work for a company that has shown they value their employees...and none of us are getting our internet or phones paid for. Don't be that employee whining about their phone battery when many many businesses are shutting their doors and people are dying.

anon3838

Post by anon3838 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:02 am

carac33 wrote:

I have to cover maintenance and other operating costs for the vehicle I use to commute to the office everyday.

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:03 am

my salary

anon3838

Post by anon3838 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:05 am

My company offered a generous $250 to cover “necessities” at home, if needed to get our work done.

As an on-call employee, I do get reimbursed up to $75 for my mobile phone plan, but that’s not related to the recent self-quarantine/WFH situation.

student

Post by student » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:26 am

Nothing other than a computer to help us with online teaching (as we have transitioned to online due to the pandemic.)

greenmonster

Post by greenmonster » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:45 am

Typically just a laptop and softphone, however my company has been super accommodating in light of the recent situation. When they mandated WFH this past Monday they gave employees the option to bring home any equipment from their office desk (monitors, docks, etc). Additionally, if you need a specific piece of equipment that wasn't in the office they will approve it for reimbursement as long as the cost isn't astronomical.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:28 pm

My company provides the following:

Dedicated laptop for home (I also have one in the office).
2 x 24" monitors (they give out 27" now but mine were acquired when the standard was 24")
Router that establishes VPN to corporate network (my laptop appears as if it was on the company LAN).
Avaya hardware phone that has my office extension on it which is plugged into said router.
Keyboard/mouse if you want them.
Company iPhone.
Mifi for Travel/Backup

I was already majority work from home before this but now 100%.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Work provides laptop and monitor. Phone is mine. Work does provide some people with phones but most them carry two phones and I would view that as a royal PITA.

I am saving so much in commute dollars and time I wouldn't worry about incremental technology expenses of I had to pay them.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 am
runner3081 wrote:
This. Some of my employees were not even provided a laptop, they had to figure out how to get their desktop home and set it up. They all did it, and are being more productive than usual (think many of them see this as an opportunity to prove that they can work from home).
Then, you work for a moronic employer. From a cybersecurity perspective, letting employees connect to the corporate network on their personal laptops borders on IT malpractice.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:02 pm

When I worked from home, the company paid for:

- Laptop
- VOIP business line
- Various antivirus/management client software licenses (I had a home lab that required access,each OS instance used to connect had to be registered and required software installed)

Also, since they were shrinking the number of employees in the building, they said "if you need anything from there, take it" - so I have a chair, whiteboard,couple of monitors, keyboards, a couple of small NAS devices, KVM switch, 2x4 work table.

When I retired I returned the laptop, but when I asked about returning the other items I had from the office, they said don't worry about it, it was easier for me to just keep them than for them to figure out what to do with the items other than destroy them.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm

oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm
stoptothink wrote:
runner3081 wrote:
Then, you work for a moronic employer. From a cybersecurity perspective, letting employees connect to the corporate network on their personal laptops borders on IT malpractice.
Huh, who said anything about using personal laptops and getting on a corporate network? There are exactly 4 people in my entire department (28, including me) who have VPN and access to our corporate network, and not a single person is using a personal laptop. It is not necessary for the vast majority of my employees to have access to our corporate network to complete their job responsibilities.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:11 pm

I already had a company laptop computer and monthly cell phone reimbursement before this whole mess as an office-based worker. Now that my group is mandated to WFH for the next month or two, we aren't receiving any additional "freebies", nor is there anything additional I want or need to do my job. Maybe if they mailed each employee a roll of toilet paper per week, that would be nice.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm
oldfort wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
runner3081 wrote:
Huh, who said anything about using personal laptops and getting on a corporate network? There are exactly 4 people in my entire department (28, including me) who have VPN and access to our corporate network, and not a single person is using a personal laptop. It is not necessary for the vast majority of my employees to have access to our corporate network to complete their job responsibilities.
The broader point is if your employees are accessing any information, which is of a proprietary nature, trade secrets, or you wouldn't want shared with your competitors, then it shouldn't be accessed on a personal laptop.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 pm

oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm
oldfort wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
runner3081 wrote:
The broader point is if your employees are accessing any information, which is of a proprietary nature, trade secrets, or you wouldn't want shared with your competitors, then it shouldn't be accessed on a personal laptop.
Absolutely, but nobody is using a personal laptop (or on the corporate network without a company laptop and VPN) and there is nothing in either one of my posts suggesting they were.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:41 pm

My company provides the "flexibility" to work from home when I need to (like now), a computer secured through a private VPN with full tech support and a phone. I use my own internet service. I consider it a swinging deal - I still have my job and can work in my pajamas.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 pm
oldfort wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm
….
Absolutely, but nobody is using a personal laptop (or on the corporate network without a company laptop and VPN) and there is nothing in either one of my posts suggesting they were.
It depends on what division of the company you work in. I would categorize almost all engineering or R&D work, as information that you wouldn't want to share with competitors. You said some of your employees weren't given laptops.
Last edited by oldfort on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.