Where can I find a financial planner?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Gamma Ray

Where can I find a financial planner?

Post by Gamma Ray »

Hi everyone, I am considering buying my 2nd house this year, and I wanted to talk to someone about what is the best move, and what kind of income I can expect after taxes when my tax situation changes after buying a 2nd house.

My main purpose is to get a realistic picture of what my taxes and income will be since I will have two mortgages and my current mortgage is complicated. This will be in New York state, is there a list of BH recommended financial planners I can talk to?
CMD1

Re: Where can I find a financial planner?

Post by CMD1 »

Garrett Planning network is a good source for fee only planners.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

That doesn't sound like the "wheel house" for a financial planner.

Are you interested from an accounting/tax perspective? Perhaps a CPA that specializes in real estate and tax prep?
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

A number of BH's have mentioned financial planners in the Garrett Planning Network (hourly only, in general). I don't use a planner personally but think this may be a good start.

You can search for one in your state:

https://garrettplanningnetwork.com/

Also, some have specialties such as real estate, tax, etc. You can also search for that.

:happy
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

I have family members that use a financial planner who is also a CPA. Very knowledgeable in these types of things. Charges by the hour.

Google -"Fee-based fiduciary CPA...CITY, STATE" search. I get a list of a half dozen right around me. I'm in a town of about 100k.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Realistically I suspect the time it takes you to locate a good planner and work with him/her (if you can even find the right person) is likely longer than it will take to look at some tax forms and pencil in numbers yourself. If *all* you want is to play some tax what-ifs, I'd suggest doing it yourself. If you're subject to significant taxation, understanding how things flow through is a good thing.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

In addition to Garret Planning Network, one should check out XYPlanningNetwork (**Disclaimer i have an affiliation to this network).

Also one could use The Financial Buff's https://adviceonlyfinancial.com/ service for him to locate you an hourly planner.
Topic Author
Gamma Ray

Post by Gamma Ray »

Thanks for the suggestions, I got great sources from this thread.
psteinx, it's more complicated than that, yes I wish I could do it myself but there are things that will take a while for me to get the grasp of, and things I will probably only use once so I won't be able to retain and my time will not be a valuable investment for that kind of knowledge. In addition, getting an analysis by a professional will give me the peace of mind that we did not forget anything that may lead to surprises down the line.