Interviewing for a new job (Anesthesiologists) any tips etc.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rai

Interviewing for a new job (Anesthesiologists) any tips etc.

Post by rai »

I’ve been at my current job 23 years great group but we always wanted to move to Florida when we got older and we already have a second house near Orlando. Our daughter will graduate from college and has a job in Orlando. Wife and I have decided to relocate to Florida and get jobs there but with less demanding schedule as we’ve almost got enough to retire but not quite. At one time I was feeling to retire fully but now feel like I’ve got another 7-9 years in me. Wife and I are 54/53 years old and I feel like it’s better to start a new chapter while we are still relatively young.

Anyway chance was to be looking at jobs and saw this job that sounds perfect that is 40 hours a week no call, no weekends, no evenings, no holidays. I spoke to the contact and he even told me if I wanted to work 30 hours a week whatever I prefer. This really is my ideal that I can work 3 ten hour shifts and have off 4 days.

Just wanted to some tips and whatnot to ace the interview. I’m watching self help interview videos and reading tips. But figured it couldn’t hurt to get some more advice.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
Chan_va

Re: Interviewing for a new job (Anesthesiologists) any tips etc.

Post by Chan_va »

Not in the medical profession, but a quick tip on interviewing after a long time at your current job. The biggest thing to watch out for is coming across as entitled and complacent. Leaving the impression that the new place would be lucky to have you. It's natural to develop that armor in your current place after a while, so just remind yourself before the interview to be energetic, and to sell yourself humbly.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

Is this a doctor group or a hospital hiring you? I don't know as much about how working directly for a hospital might work, so this applies to usual physician groups.

Probably the biggest thing is that they want to make sure that you are interested in their group and want to stay long term. It's a pain in the butt to hire someone and then have them leave, so they don't want to feel like you are settling for them while you are trying to find someplace "better" to leave to. They've probably already decided whether they think you're "qualified enough" or whatever based on your references, your school/work history, etc. What they really want to know is if your personality meshes well with the group, if you're a "team player" so to speak, and they want to gauge how interested you are in them.

I wouldn't lie or anything, but if you really want the job, then I would make sure they know it. Of course don't be so overbearing where you start to sound fake. It's a difficult balance for sure. Asking a lot of questions usually shows interest. If there are particular things about the practice that you like, make sure you mention specifics about what you like about their group somehow. At the end, if you really do like them, just say it. "I really think your group would be a great fit for me", etc. No need to play hard to get. They probably won't try to use your interest to lowball you on an offer, and if they do, you might not want to work for them anyway. Depending on the specific group, there may not be much up for negotiation anyway.

If there is something specific in your history that might be a red flag, you'll need to figure out a way to neutralize it. Not sure about Anesthesiology specifically, but if your resume shows that you did a lot of work in a specific area that they don't offer, they may be wary (because again, they're worried that you will lose interest in them and leave), so you have to reassure them that it's not important. Things like that.

It also helps to make small talk too, honestly. Again, don't force anything, but chatting about random unrelated stuff is good, because again they may be stuck with you for the next 30 years, so they would prefer that he/she is someone they actually like spending time with. If you have a common interest with an interviewer, have a conversation with them about it (again if it can be done naturally).

Anyway, these are my opinions, maybe others will have different thoughts.

Edit: I didn't read your post carefully, lol, I thought you were younger and this was your first job. Of course, you probably won't be with them for 30 years, but actually a different concern they may have is that you will just decide to up and retire one day, so probably need to make clear that you want to work for awhile and won't just up and retire next year.
Last edited by decapod10 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

I'm not sure you need self help or interview tips. Sounds like you've got a solid resume and honest plan for your ability and willingness to work. Share that with them truthfully and you should be fine. The best interviews I'm involved in are when both sides are open and honest about abilities and expectations. Unless there are skeletons in your closet you are hand-delivering them an employee they're actively looking for.
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

thanks, to the above posts.

My references will be great, the reason why I'm leaving is quite natural (relocation to a warmer area where we already have a second home).

As for the job it's a set pay you'd call it hourly salary. The contact said to me that they'd like someone to work 4 or 3 days (30/40 hours) and if I took the 3 day option my salary would be 3/4 of the 40 hour pay. It's got full benefit and will even pay moving expenses (I know that my field is in demand) but the point is this job description is what I am looking for exactly and while I could find more jobs and likely better pay but I don't want to be in a partnership group with on-call responsibilities. So this job is really just what I want.

I want to slow down but not full retire so this would be a perfect bridge job that I can truly work for the next 8+ years. A lot of doctors do want to slow down not retire but it's often hard to find this type of offer that meshes with my schedule and the job description perfectly.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

If they're offering exactly what you want it sounds like a match made in medicine heaven(for both sides).

Please post back here after the interview to let us know how it went. I'm putting my money on...'I got the job!'

Best of luck to you.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Are there CRNAs and/or PAs in the group? Is it a supervision or medical direction model? Are you okay with either situation?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I think the second home in Orlando and daughter moving there soon should be worked into the conversation. Those are things that not only help explain your move but I necessarily the likelihood that you may stay for a while.
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

BolderBoy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:23 pm Are there CRNAs and/or PAs in the group? Is it a supervision or medical direction model? Are you okay with either situation?
all CRNAs and 4:1 medical direction.
Student2

Post by Student2 »

You might also consider posting this question @ https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/
spitty

Post by spitty »

Biggest think in your favor is 23 years in the same practice which means you're well liked and do good work with no horrible malpractice occurrences. The new place will do a background check and look for database entries. In the interview they'll especially want to know how personable you are which translates to how you'll get along with staff. Preop meeting with patients is paramount towards making them relaxed and comfortable that they'll get good care--so relaxed and smiling during your interview. If it's a surgery center they'll be big on patient surveys. Try to talk with lots of staff, especially CRNAs, because they'll be asked for opinions on you. Finally, show how excited you are to work there, you really like the staff, the facility is clean and well organized with good selection of equipment for your work, interesting case mix, etc. You already know these things--you've been at this a long time. If you don't have a FL license, start now. Good luck!
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

rai wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:53 pm I’ve been at my current job 23 years great group but we always wanted to move to Florida when we got older and we already have a second house near Orlando. Our daughter will graduate from college and has a job in Orlando. Wife and I have decided to relocate to Florida and get jobs there but with less demanding schedule as we’ve almost got enough to retire but not quite. At one time I was feeling to retire fully but now feel like I’ve got another 7-9 years in me. Wife and I are 54/53 years old and I feel like it’s better to start a new chapter while we are still relatively young.

Anyway chance was to be looking at jobs and saw this job that sounds perfect that is 40 hours a week no call, no weekends, no evenings, no holidays. I spoke to the contact and he even told me if I wanted to work 30 hours a week whatever I prefer. This really is my ideal that I can work 3 ten hour shifts and have off 4 days.

Just wanted to some tips and whatnot to ace the interview. I’m watching self help interview videos and reading tips. But figured it couldn’t hurt to get some more advice.
An interview is a sales call

Your job as a salesperson is always the same: find out the problem that the customer is trying to solve and to promote the reasons why you’re the ideal person to solve it

And then close for a commitment
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Working as I did on the other side of the ether screen, I might suggest that the best anesthesiologists to work with were the ones that were reliable, responded when asked to, didn't think the world revolved around them (that's reserved for the surgeon!) and were pleasant and competent in dealing with the patient. Good sense of humor helped, too, though some of the best were also the crabbiest!
Whatever you can do to boost those aspects of your profession should play well with any interviewers. Sounds like you have you stuff together and will do well there.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:32 pm I think the second home in Orlando and daughter moving there soon should be worked into the conversation. Those are things that not only help explain your move but I necessarily the likelihood that you may stay for a while.
+1. Non-doctor here but still I think that for any field this is a huge consideration, in addition to capability.
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

Student2 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:22 pm You might also consider posting this question @ https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/
Good idea.

Thanks for the replies all.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Try not to put them to sleep. :sharebeer 8-) :oops:

Good luck
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

Hello, update time.

I went on the interview and got the job, it was fairly benign although I was somewhat stressed going into the interview just because it's a job interview. The end result was more of a look around and then this:

"Do you want to hire me?" yes.
"Do you want the job?" hell yes.

:sharebeer
Last edited by rai on Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Congrats!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

It's a step back as far as pay but also will be working less. I am just still a tiny bit apprehensive because it's a new system and meeting 100 new co-workers which is something I am not crazy about.

Basically this will be sorta semi retirement for me, not really retirement in any way except that I may be spending some of my savings to make ends meet but it'll be like 60:40 work:savings rather then when we retire and it's 100% form savings.

Hopefully less stress at work and side benefit less taxes paid.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Don’t put ‘em to sleep.

/duck

Sorry - Good luck!
ram

Post by ram »

rai wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 pm It's a step back as far as pay but also will be working less. I am just still a tiny bit apprehensive because it's a new system and meeting 100 new co-workers which is something I am not crazy about.

Basically this will be sorta semi retirement for me, not really retirement in any way except that I may be spending some of my savings to make ends meet but it'll be like 60:40 work:savings rather then when we retire and it's 100% form savings.

Hopefully less stress at work and side benefit less taxes paid.
Congrats.
I understand that your salary is going down. I also understand that your work hours are going down.

Question : Is your hourly rate going down. I understand that there is a nation wide shortage of anesthesiologists. If your hourly rate is going down hopefully it is still >80% of the prior hourly rate and assuming they like you, you may have an opportunity to negotiate the hourly rate at the 1 year mark.
Ram
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

:sharebeer
ram wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:37 pm Is your hourly rate going down. I understand that there is a nation wide shortage of anesthesiologists. If your hourly rate is going down hopefully it is still >80% of the prior hourly rate and assuming they like you, you may have an opportunity to negotiate the hourly rate at the 1 year mark.
The short answer is no (my hourly rate is not going down) only making less because I am working less if I was to work 40 hours I'd make more at the new position.

The long answer:
Last job was a partner and we paid our own benefits health insurance, disability, life etc.. and also we paid both sides of our SS and Medicare taxes as well as paying the benefits of our employees. We could have made it up by working harder (more hours) and the profit sharing (dividends) and higher pay in theory which gets complicated but the short run we were not making more from higher pay or profit sharing because we had more overhead (more employees to pay leading to more off the top line). Basically we were robbing Peter (outselves) to pay Paul (our employees) and also we had sold our company to a mega group which paid us UP FRONT CASH but was paid for buy a 20% haircut from our pay. In summary the only way for us in my old job to make more was to work more and not in a strictly dollar per hour sense. Since the amount of benefits and pay to employees was taken off the top this means working harder also meant paying more of that share of the freight.

There was a buy-out from our old group was a sizable payment and strictly in the past it made the sale worthwhile at the time but disadvantageous going forward as evident by 35% of our partners leaving 1-2 years after the buyout. The old story of the carrot and the stick was that there was a future value of our stock and future dividend that I will forfeit but this was never set as guaranteed as to value or frequency, so sure if I'd have stayed I'd have made tens of thousands in extra dividends and future stock value but it was not a set amount and the old job was getting worse for reasons I can not elaborate here.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I think your story reflects the state of the business of medicine in the US today. Across all specialties and in all sorts of communities.

The best thing you have accomplished is to work out a plan for exiting the profession. Sadly.
Topic Author
rai

Post by rai »

obgraham wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:39 pm I think your story reflects the state of the business of medicine in the US today. Across all specialties and in all sorts of communities.

The best thing you have accomplished is to work out a plan for exiting the profession. Sadly.
I guess it's becoming a business in a lot of ways with corporations thinking they can treat doctors like they are just interchangeable parts, and to me we have lost the specialness that was once accorded to physicians.

I've been talked to by staff as I would have never been appropriate in the past. (hopefully this new position from the looks of it is more in line with what I was accustomed to 20 years ago).

Finally was that I wanted to slow down anyway and I was offered a 40 hour spot but I prefer the 30 hours and 4 day weekends. I feel like this will bridge me to Social Security and if I can keep working will get me a very secure retirement. I feel like I can work to 60,65 or 70 even with less long days, night and weekends which was my norm.
ram

Post by ram »

obgraham wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:39 pm I think your story reflects the state of the business of medicine in the US today. Across all specialties and in all sorts of communities.

I agree.

I think that Dr rai's new position is far superior to the old one for him and any physician in the last quarter of their working life.
Ram