Excel Losing Support Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Vanguard Fan 1367

Excel Losing Support Question

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

Other threads talk about getting a new word processor and spreadsheet with the loss of Microsoft Support later this year. Will the word processor and spreadsheet become useless when the support is pulled?

Thanks for the help.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
jsprag

Re: Excel Losing Support Question

Post by jsprag »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:05 pm Other threads talk about getting a new word processor and spreadsheet with the loss of Microsoft Support later this year. Will the word processor and spreadsheet become useless when the support is pulled?

Thanks for the help.
Can you link to these other threads so we have context for your question?

If you're asking about the end of Office 2010 support on October 13 of this year, then this page has some information, including the statement that:
With Office 2010 end of support, security updates will stop. Office apps will work, but you may be exposed to security risks.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

I wasn't aware of this until I saw this thread. I'm not certain if current users will have issues, as Excel is a rather standalone app (unlike a web browser or OS). It looks like a single individual can subscribe to office 365 for $70 a year. I don't like that, but it could be worse.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

LibreOffice!?
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

^^^ This

:sharebeer
Stay on target...
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

FIREchief wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:23 pm I wasn't aware of this until I saw this thread. I'm not certain if current users will have issues, as Excel is a rather standalone app (unlike a web browser or OS). It looks like a single individual can subscribe to office 365 for $70 a year. I don't like that, but it could be worse.
You could look into Office 2019 if you want a perpetual license. You'd also be OK, for a bit longer, if you have Excel later than 2010.
OAG

Post by OAG »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:47 pm LibreOffice!?
+1
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.