How Many Accounts for Cash?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

How Many Accounts for Cash?

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads:

How many folks simply have one cash account (i.e. checking, money market, etc) for cash and only one? Where everything is consolidated.

What are the pluses and minus to that strategy?

Advantages
* simplicity
* less accounts to balance and maintain
* no cash transfers needed
* easy to understand balance

Disadvanatages
* theft at ATM
* bank stops access
* low yielding - impact of inflation
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
anon_investor

Re: How Many Accounts for Cash?

Post by anon_investor »

Do you mean only 1 actual account or accounts with only 1 financial institution?
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:45 pm Do you mean only 1 actual account or accounts with only 1 financial institution?
One account in total.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

I use one Rewards checking account at my local bank that pays 2.07% for cash up to 30,000. I do not find a need to keep more than 30,000 in cash so it is my only cash receptacle. It is simple to direct my dividends and interest into this account. There is no reason to complicate things.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:48 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:45 pm Do you mean only 1 actual account or accounts with only 1 financial institution?
One account in total.
I don't think I could. In this day and age you need at least a checking account to pay bills (ACH), and even paper checks once in a while. But checking accounts have such low interest rates. If it was just 1 financial institution, I would pick Ally Bank, where you can get checking and savings (1.6%) and money can be instantaneously transferred from savings to checking (max 6 withdrawals a month per savings account, but you have have multiple savings accounts to help get around this limit).

Abuss368, from your other posts, it sounds like you have a checking account and store the rest of your cash in a money market fund at your brokerage. I think that is a perfectly good strategy. But as you alluded to, by not having a savings account with some money linked to your checking, there can be a time delay to transfer cash from brokerage money market fund to checking, this might be exacerbated by not putting in the transfer before 4pm on a Friday, when there is a holiday on Monday!
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

We travel a fair amount, often out of country. I've had occasions where one card will not work, but another does. So we have two cash accounts,separate institutions. But one is just for "emergency backup", small balance only.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

dwickenh wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm I use one Rewards checking account at my local bank that pays 2.07% for cash up to 30,000. I do not find a need to keep more than 30,000 in cash so it is my only cash receptacle. It is simple to direct my dividends and interest into this account. There is no reason to complicate things.
What bank pays that high rate on checking?
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

We have one checking account that we actively use. It's a rewards checking account that pays 4% APY if you jump through certain hoops (at least 1 direct deposit + 15 debit card transactions of $5 or more per month). But we also have a back-up account at a brick and mortar bank, in case we ever need to visit a local/physical branch.
Last edited by snailderby on Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I have looked into it. Ally, etrade and fidelity all look good for a one stop shop.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:03 pm
dwickenh wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm I use one Rewards checking account at my local bank that pays 2.07% for cash up to 30,000. I do not find a need to keep more than 30,000 in cash so it is my only cash receptacle. It is simple to direct my dividends and interest into this account. There is no reason to complicate things.
There are lots of checking accounts that pay high interest if one is willing to jump through a few hoops.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-int ... Nationwide
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I have two accounts. Savings and checking with Ally.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have:
1 checking account at a national bank
1 savings account at credit union (required minimum balance is $5)
1 checking account at a credit union
1 money market savings account at credit union
1 Vanguard Treasury Money Market fund
Assorted Vanguard Federal Money Market fund settlement accounts (usually with pennies in them)
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I have more than one, but how many more depends on what one considers cash. Here's what I've got:

1. BofA Checking Account
2. Ally Online Savings
3. Ally No Penalty CD's - several
4. Ally Traditional CD's - over a half dozen
5. Marcus Online Savings
6. Marcus No Penalty CD's - several
7. Fidelity Premium MMF
8. Fidelity Treasury MMF
9. PSECU Traditional CD's - several
10. Vanguard Federal MMF
11. UBS Bank USA Deposit Account

So, what do I consider cash? Initially I'd say 1,2,5,7,8,10, and 11 or a total of seven accounts. However, I'd color that as follows:

1 is our general (non-interest bearing) checking account. Account has historically had a minimum balance requirement of $1,500, but average balance probably runs closer to $2,000-$3,000. This one is clearly cash.

2 and 5 don't have more than $10K between them. These accounts exist largely as the holding place for funds going into or coming out of CD's. I guess these are cash too. However, I could just as easily move the cash to 7, but the yield is slightly better than 7 so I haven't bothered.

7 contains most of what I'd consider my excess "cash". Transfers are made from 7 to 1 once or twice each month (to cover payments to be made). More cash.

8,10 and 11 have next to zero in them. They exists solely as settlement funds at Fidelity/Vanguard/UBS. While they are cash, they have insignificant dollars in them. I would not really consider them cash.

The real operating cash accounts are therefore 1 and 7. So maybe the answer is two?

All the CD's (whether traditional or no-penalty) I consider as fixed income (the short end of my fixed income exposure).

Not sure if any of that is responsive to what the OP is after, other than to say I have more than 1 cash account and the reason is not wanting to hold cash in a non-interest bearing account.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Local bank CNB Bank and Trust. One direct deposit, 10 debit uses per month.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
anoop

Post by anoop »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm Disadvanatages
* theft at ATM
* bank stops access
What do you mean by theft at ATM? How is it affected by having only one account?

I deal with 2 financial institutions -- a bank and a brokerage -- and have multiple accounts at both.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

We have a local credit union rewards checking account and a Prime Money Market account with checkwriting privileges.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have five savings accounts (one of which is high yield), four checking accounts, and three settlement fund accounts (two of which are money market accounts). It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Many of these accounts are decades old.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I would love to have 1, but I have 2 and don't want to give up the primary benefit of either. I started with Chase when I was a kid (I guess it was Bank One then), and now I have multiple credit cards, mortgage, and auto loan with them so it is too convenient. I opened a savings account at Ally initially to keep a house down payment, but then I found their daily limit on mobile check deposit is much higher. Chase is only 5k and I not infrequently deal with larger checks. So now my only use for Ally is mobile check deposit and then immediately transfer to Chase or Vanguard.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Heck, I had two (checking & savings) when I was a teenager (if you don't count those silly Christmas Club things). Today I have 2.5 (added a joint checking to the mix). DW has a few more as we do finances separately except for the joint checking account.

I do have cash settlement accounts at Vanguard & Schwab but don't include them as there is rarely in movement in them and they hold only a few bucks or less.

I don't consider any of this as particularly complex and in need of simplification.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm Bogleheads:

How many folks simply have one cash account (i.e. checking, money market, etc) for cash and only one? Where everything is consolidated.

Advantages
* simplicity
* less accounts to balance and maintain
* no cash transfers needed
* easy to understand balance

Disadvanatages
* theft at ATM
* bank stops access
I have 3 cash accounts. One for general use, the 2nd that offers high interest, and the 3rd for foreign (US) currency

If my general use savings account offered a similar interest rate as the HISA, I would only need 2 account to hold cash (one for each currency)

If I was dead set on 1 account I would convert all different currencies to the one currency that can be held in the HISA and dump everything in there, but that would be a PITA
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver »

For years, I had CapitalOne 360 Checking/Savings combo (great experience) and Charles Swab for travelling only (otherwise kept at $0).
This year (out of boredom mostly) I decided to "simplify" and consolidate everything at Schwab and see if I can get away with just one account. February is the transitioning month and so far so good. My only concern is that Schwab doesn't have a good savings account with instant money transfer capability like CO 360. My savings are all in VUSXX in Vanguard account now and I hope it doesn't cause too many issues (i.e. long transfer times etc), as I like to keep my checking account balance low. :annoyed
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Vanguard, Prime MFF
2 CD accounts at different banks
Ally-savings
Local Bank, for aggregation/checks
'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.' Yogi Berra
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

anoop wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:46 pm
* theft at ATM
* bank stops access
What do you mean by theft at ATM? How is it affected by having only one account?

I deal with 2 financial institutions -- a bank and a brokerage -- and have multiple accounts at both.
If someone accessed your account electronically or by ATM. All eggs in one basket. Does that concern you?
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

1 checking account at Bank of America. Joint with spouse. This is the "hub" - direct deposit comes in here, bills paid from here, etc.
1 brokerage account at Fidelity. Taxable investments, emergency fund are all here in one account.

Various other accounts at Fidelity (tax-advantaged retirement, etc). Various other accounts at other providers I am forced to have due to employer etc. Would love to consolidate everything else at Fidelity but I can't.

No savings account. I don't see the point for us.

It's as simple as I can make it. Down the road I will seriously consider consolidating checking at Fidelity, but I will still always need another checking account due to inability to deposit cash with the Fidelity CMA. So, it's probably as simple as it can possibly be.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm
* theft at ATM
* bank stops access

If someone accessed your account electronically or by ATM. All eggs in one basket. Does that concern you?
It's not practical for me to have one account cash account. I have two (checking, brokerage). Even consolidating down to one Brokerage CMA isn't possible (for me), need to make cash deposits.

But I do not worry about the safety of my accounts, because:

- For ATMs I have a strong PIN (BoA allows at least 6 digits), withdrawals are generally limited to $1,000 a day, and I typically keep a minimum amount of cash in that account.
- For electronic/online safety there are straightforward best practices that one can implement to stay safe.

There is no 100% safety guarantee in life but doing these things lets me sleep at night, lets me not think about such things and focus on what matters in life.
anoop

Post by anoop »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm
* theft at ATM
* bank stops access

Yes it does. For such situations I have the brokerage, but I need to sign up for an ATM card for it.
Bogle7

One? Many?

Post by Bogle7 »

Interesting question.
I have one account at my credit union.
But it has 7 sub-accounts:
* free checking (usual balance is <$300)
* savings (I add $100 a month this)
* house (I add $200/mo)
* escrow (I add $800/mo, this bucket is: real estate tax, home insurance, auto insurance, gas/electric, water)
* vacation (I add $500/mo)
* My Stuff (I add $100/mo)
* taxes (20% of my SS check per month)

Only free checking is reachable via my debit card.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bck63

Post by bck63 »

We use Fidelity Cash Management Account for our bill paying, and another Fidelity Cash Management account for savings. Use a treasury MMF in both of them. Have self-funded overdraft set up from one to the other. Have never needed that though. It works great for us.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

bck63 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 pm We use Fidelity Cash Management Account for our bill paying, and another Fidelity Cash Management account for savings. Use a treasury MMF in both of them. Have self-funded overdraft set up from one to the other. Have never needed that though. It works great for us.
Do you have a separate checking account at a bank or just the Fidelity CMA?
Eyeski

Post by Eyeski »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 pm I have two accounts. Savings and checking with Ally.
Me too. No complaints for the past 9 years.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Eyeski wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 pm I have two accounts. Savings and checking with Ally.
Me too. No complaints for the past 9 years.
Ditto!
bck63

Post by bck63 »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:11 pm
bck63 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 pm We use Fidelity Cash Management Account for our bill paying, and another Fidelity Cash Management account for savings. Use a treasury MMF in both of them. Have self-funded overdraft set up from one to the other. Have never needed that though. It works great for us.
We do have a checking account at a local bank. We use it for direct deposit. The money stays in there about five minutes before it all gets sent to Fidelity. :happy I'd do direct deposit to Fidelity, but my wife is more comfortable having a local bank.

Happy wife, happy life.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

For my parents finances, I set them up with one local bank’s checking account (which usually has ~$10-$15k) and everything else is at Vanguard including additional money held in a money market fund. Their Vanguard Taxable account and bank account are linked. The checking account is used for SS deposits, bill pay and ATM withdrawals.

Simple, works well.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

bck63 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:11 pm
We do have a checking account at a local bank. We use it for direct deposit. The money stays in there about five minutes before it all gets sent to Fidelity. :happy I'd do direct deposit to Fidelity, but my wife is more comfortable having a local bank.

Happy wife, happy life.
Make sense :sharebeer

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

I have a single account at Schwab bank. I plan my cash-flow needs to stay one month ahead of needs at the end of the month. Everything else is invested, although enough is in a sweep account to support the cash-flow two months out. For example, if I follow my budget exactly, I should have all of my March needs in the checking account on 2/29. On 3/1, I will deposit the April needs from a sweep account, and increase the balance of the sweep account to handle May needs.

I do a specific cash-flow budget in addition to a regular expense budget -- specifically tracking asymmetric and seasonal flows (e.g., asymmetric: property taxes, seasonal: gas/electric utility). Cash-flow can be a month or more delayed from expense if paid via credit card, so I try to schedule the payment to enhance that where possible, and budget the cash-outlay in the correct month.

I don't really need the sub-accounts and multiple savings accounts, since I can create the equivalent in GnuCash without actually needing separate accounts from a bank.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
WS1

Post by WS1 »

My friend recently had his chase checking and credit cards frozen for well over a week because of a fraud suspicion linked to a zelle transfer. This made me feel really good about having my and my spouse’s paychecks deposited in different banks and having a portfolio of credit cards.
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

1) US Bank checking.
2) Cap 360 Performance High Yield Savings.
3) Fidelity 401K, HSA, Roth, Taxable.

Thought about closing US Bank checking and using Fidelity Cash Management account plus 2% cash back card but have not done so yet.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Yes, I was wondering about that too.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

bck63 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm Happy wife, happy life.
An important rule in life and personal finance! :sharebeer
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

HomeStretch wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 pm For my parents finances, I set them up with one local bank’s checking account (which usually has ~$10-$15k) and everything else is at Vanguard including additional money held in a money market fund. Their Vanguard Taxable account and bank account are linked. The checking account is used for SS deposits, bill pay and ATM withdrawals.

Simple, works well.
That is exactly how I set up my parents as well. One simple checking account at a bank. A Prime Money Market fund at Vanguard for excess cash. Taxable account linked to taxable account at Vanguard.

Simple and works very well for my folks.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

WS1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 pm My friend recently had his chase checking and credit cards frozen for well over a week because of a fraud suspicion linked to a zelle transfer. This made me feel really good about having my and my spouse’s paychecks deposited in different banks and having a portfolio of credit cards.
Interesting - Zelle Transfer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelle_(payment_service)
bck63

Post by bck63 »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 pm
bck63 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm Happy wife, happy life.
An important rule in life and personal finance! :sharebeer
:thumbsup :thumbsup
Samueul

Post by Samueul »

4 Accounts
1 Checking with Ally which is our master account
1 Savings with Ally which is our cash on hand/emergency fund account
1 Checking with CapOne360 for our teenager who just started working
1 Checking at my local credit union that my wife uses for her small business and for cash deposits.

I’d love to just have the Ally accounts but we like to keep the teenager and wife’s business transactions seperate from our joint personal transactions.
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

I use:

1 checking at local CU (main checking account)
1 on-line bank HYSA + Checking (emergency fund + immediate move to checking to use)
1 Fidelity CMA (only enough for ATM withdrawals)

Reasons:
* I like having a brick and mortar account and my CU has great service, local branches, no fees, and easy to deal with cash.
* I like getting a higher rate of return for my money. Having a HYSA plus attached checking gives me piece of mind if anything goes wrong.
* I like keeping my ATM card separate from my other cash accounts in case of compromise. I only keep a few hundred in the CMA so I can't be hit too hard. Plus Fidelity refunds all ATM fees.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

1 checking account at Navy Federal CU, primary for all bills
1 checking account at Wells Fargo NA as secondary for some bills and transfers
1 checking account for BIL we manage at PNC
1 checking account for Trust we manage at Wells Fargo
1 checking account for Trust we manage at Fifth-Third Bank

3 funded debit cards at $100 for me, wife and BIL

Lots of cash under the mattress and hidden in the house for emergencies and treasure hunting for grandkids if we abruptly depart from this world
midareff

Post by midareff »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm Bogleheads:

Abuss... I have a checking account and savings online at a bank that pays reasonable interest. I also have a separate savings account there I use to self escrow property tax, car and condo insurances and IRS EFTPS Quarterly pays. Since we travel multiple times yearly and many companies give a reasonable discount for EFT pays I keep an account just for that, and one last account with no ties to any other accounts for EFT transfers that may be needed, or refunds in EFT format, that involve companies I have less than full faith in. Also have checking and savings at my former employer's federal credit union (brick and mortar) for when I may need sums larger than convenient @ an ATM for travel.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

ChrisC wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 am Lots of cash under the mattress and hidden in the house for emergencies and treasure hunting for grandkids if we abruptly depart from this world
Do you plan to leave a treasure map where “X marks the spots” with your estate documents?

We went through such a treasure hunt when my grandfather passed. Never sure if we found everything!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 am
ChrisC wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 am Lots of cash under the mattress and hidden in the house for emergencies and treasure hunting for grandkids if we abruptly depart from this world
Do you plan to leave a treasure map where “X marks the spots” with your estate documents?

We went through such a treasure hunt when my grandfather passed. Never sure if we found everything!
I haven’t thought it entirely out as we might be moving to a CCRC in the future or might even buy a second/vacation home for family retreats. But I do have an actual small treasure chest with lots of sentimental family items and cash; lots of jars of coin currency in an armoire and bathroom cabinet, and an antique roll top desk with hidden compartments that I recently shared with 5 year old grandson, who has been treasure hunting with me on trails in the neighborhood.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I admire the simplicity of one account, but I admit I am way on the other end of the spectrum.

More than a decade ago, I rate-chased for about a year as rates were climbing and banks were competing, and I ended up with a bunch of accounts. Rather than letting all of the non-winning accounts of my rate-chasing contest die, I used some of the ones that remained competitive rate-wise and feature-wise for different purposes.

So, three plusses that the OP didn't note for having multiple accounts:
1) More easily visualize your buckets of money for different purposes in the different accounts
2) Less likely to run into the 6-withdrawal monthly limit for savings accounts if the money is split among a few
3) If one account ends up offering a higher yield for a period, you can easily move more of your money there
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

Anybody using TDAM for cash cash management? Curious because they have a local office to me. https://www.tdameritrade.com/investment ... ement.page