Any ideas for a little extra money each year?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tomwood

Any ideas for a little extra money each year?

Post by tomwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:07 pm

Are there any easy things someone can do to earn a few thousand dollars per year? Ideally this is something that can be accomplished at odds hours throughout the day, which in all likelihood would make this an online job. I’m not crafty enough to make stuff to sell online. We are looking for just a little extra spending money each year. Are there any ideas people might know or does anyone here do anything to earn a few thousand more outside of their day job?

elvisimprsntr

Re: Any ideas for a little extra money each year?

Post by elvisimprsntr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 pm

tomwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:07 pm
Frankly, I spend my free time making sure I am optimizing my tax strategy, now and in future years.

And looking for ways to reduce expenses. For example, installing a terrestrial antenna in my attic and dropping paid TV service. I conservatively estimate I have save $150/mo*12mo/yr*12yrs = $21600.

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:24 pm

elvisimprsntr wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 pm
tomwood wrote:
Frankly, I spend my free time making sure I am optimizing my tax strategy, now and in future years.

And looking for ways to reduce expenses. For example, installing a terrestrial antenna in my attic and dropping paid TV service. I conservatively estimate I have save $150/mo*12mo/yr*12yrs = $21600.
That’s a good idea but you were paying $150 for only tv? Not tv & Internet?

ram

Post by ram » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Lawn mowing and snow shoveling are easy.
Ram

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:32 pm

So not an online job, but have you thought of:

-Walking your neighbors’ dogs
-Donating plasma
-Churning credit card or checking/ savings account bonuses

These are all legit ways to make money. The dog walking is just an extra excuse to get some exercise. Just my two cents.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

mroe800

Post by mroe800 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:38 pm

You should be able to make several thousand churning checking/savings account, especially if you have cash to deploy at multiple banks for bigger bonuses. I typically do two to three thousand a year without much effort.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Buying stuff at estate and garage sales and selling them on ebay.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

I like the credit card bonus game for that amount of money. Requires no skill, no ongoing maintenance except I guess ensuring you make the spend requirements, no tax, no clients, you can be as busy as you want, take 6 months off if you're busy, etc.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Buying and selling stuff on Craigslist/FB marketplace/Nextdoor or other hobbyist platform.

For years I was making a killing going to pull a part junk yards and reselling used auto parts. I was active in various car forums and knew what was in demand, but via eBay and directly on the hobbyist classifieds I was generating a lot of revenue, plus I got to play with old cars and my tools. It was dirty, at my convenience and wonderful!

One of the most rewarding things was selling old BMW trim pieces. Parts from mainly 80s cars, that are still available new, but not mechanical or structural. Simply cosmetic to people wanting to keep their cars astheticly nice. At one point my PayPal account swelled that I was flipping cars too.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:33 pm

tomwood wrote:
Are there any easy things someone can do to earn a few thousand dollars per year? Ideally this is something that can be accomplished at odds hours throughout the day, which in all likelihood would make this an online job. I’m not crafty enough to make stuff to sell online. We are looking for just a little extra spending money each year. Are there any ideas people might know or does anyone here do anything to earn a few thousand more outside of their day job?
Wouldn’t say “easy” but if you have any experience as an athlete you can coach at the local HS.

Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Strictly online? I'm not sure. But some ideas:

Customer service call center (if you can work from home)
Deliveries (pick your odd hours or even tasks you accept)
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:44 pm

No need to limit yourself to on-line activities unless you can't leave your residence. Many things can be done in relatively short shifts which are less than full-time. Teaching courses at community centers which often offer classes in a range of areas - athletic activities, music, art, technology, etc. If you have an advanced degree, teaching as an adjunct professor, on-line or at a local campus. Substitute teaching. If you have the necessary skills, work as an entertainer - musician, magician, etc. Consulting in your field. Home health care aide. Gig economy types of things - Uber, Lyft, TaskRabbit, etc. Many of these types of things can be done for just a few hours at a time.

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:00 pm

mega317 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm
I like the credit card bonus game for that amount of money. Requires no skill, no ongoing maintenance except I guess ensuring you make the spend requirements, no tax, no clients, you can be as busy as you want, take 6 months off if you're busy, etc.
Should I avoid opening and closing too many credit cards id im likely to buy a new home (mortgage needed) in the next year and a half?

Godot

Post by Godot » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 am

aerosurfer wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:31 pm
Buying and selling stuff on Craigslist/FB marketplace/Nextdoor or other hobbyist platform.

For years I was making a killing going to pull a part junk yards and reselling used auto parts. I was active in various car forums and knew what was in demand, but via eBay and directly on the hobbyist classifieds I was generating a lot of revenue, plus I got to play with old cars and my tools. It was dirty, at my convenience and wonderful!

One of the most rewarding things was selling old BMW trim pieces. Parts from mainly 80s cars, that are still available new, but not mechanical or structural. Simply cosmetic to people wanting to keep their cars astheticly nice. At one point my PayPal account swelled that I was flipping cars too.
Why did you stop?
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:59 am

I never really stopped. I got into Air cooled VWs when I got my VW bus. Just never found much of the older stuff in any yards. Any electrical parts I used to pull I no longer had the cars I could test parts on either. I was making more money from my main job I didn’t need the extra change.. then kids too.

But all along I still sell parts as I find them. With the A/C world I will find things more on CL from others looking to get rid of things they have stored, or cheap parts being sold online. Recently I bought an older Mercedes, and have been back in the yard, both pulling parts (for me and for sale) and getting more familiar with The systems of the car on a wrecked chassis.

All along it was always fun to do, it was therapeutic to me to walk the yards, it was sport to have the production of mailing and packing materials handy. I never wanted it to become ‘work’ or in the way of everything else. That’s why I didn’t buy whole cars to take apart or hoard what I didn’t think would sell quickly. it still is some play money, but gets a smile and eye roll from the wife every time I tell her “I sold a part”

fittan

Post by fittan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am

tomwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:24 pm
elvisimprsntr wrote:
tomwood wrote:

My thought too...$150 for cable TV is not conservative. You can't compare premier TV packages to rabbit ears. Assuming $35 for basic TV, after 12 years you're only saving $5040 (not $21K).

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 am

tomwood wrote:
What is your concept of easy?

Why not consider working additional hours? How about a part-time evening/weekend job in addition to your day jobs? Or some part-time consulting work within your speciality that takes place outside of your normal business hours of your day job.

Can you rent out a room in your house? Teach a class within your speciality area? Provide a service that is in demand? Officiate a sport? Judge contest(s) for a fee? Teach a spin class or other exercise class? Teach one on one lessons in some discipline?

There are a lot of ways to utilize your human capital to produce a little extra spending money, but producing additional income is not always what we would call easy. Trading your specialities and sweat equity for additional income is going to require some of your time and energy to produce. Don't be afraid to be creative in your discovery of what will accomplish your goals of bringing in a few thousand more per year. It's never easy...
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm

tomwood wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:24 pm
elvisimprsntr wrote:
tomwood wrote:

And, regardless, the OTA antenna content is much less than the cable, so nit a perfect substitute so the value of the savings is something less than the $150 (even only considering what you actually watch, vs what they make available). Analogy by contrast -- it is NOT the same as the savings from buying a smaller car that gets much better gas mileage than another one considered, where you would still drive as much either way.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Improve / learn new skills related to your main career path. Then get a raise/promotion/switch jobs. "Side gigs" for extra cash are a waste of time (unless they are doing something that makes you happy).

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Sell Tradelines.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:31 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm
And, regardless, the OTA antenna content is much less than the cable, so nit a perfect substitute so the value of the savings is something less than the $150 (even only considering what you actually watch, vs what they make available).
Watching TV has zero value. Having more "content" tempts you to waste more time. Therefore the savings is MORE than the $150.

2commaBH

Post by 2commaBH » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:33 pm

Ask for discounts. You'll be surprised how often this works. Not at the checkout counter at Target, but when buying goods and services in other channels, a simple "is there any discount or special offer right now?" can cut 10% or more off your purchase. You just have to ask.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm

DonIce wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:31 pm
rj342 wrote:
And, regardless, the OTA antenna content is much less than the cable, so nit a perfect substitute so the value of the savings is something less than the $150 (even only considering what you actually watch, vs what they make available).
Watching TV has zero value. Having more "content" tempts you to waste more time. Therefore the savings is MORE than the $150.
Not arguing with that view at all -- just if you lose some of what you did like to frequently watch in the switch, they are not full substitutes.
Like if I buy an all electric car and do in fact save money vs a gasoline engined car... but can no longer take longer trips in it as a result.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:41 pm

I live in a city so I see people on Nextdoor posting random tasks, some of which are relatively simple. Help me move X into the basement. Help me clean my lawn. Walk my dog. Water my plants. I've considered helping out with these tasks, mainly to be neighborly more than anything. The jobs are often too small to hire a handyman.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm
DonIce wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:31 pm
rj342 wrote:
Not arguing with that view at all (I guess a sort of inverse of opportunity cost) -- just if you lose some of what you did like to frequently watch in the switch, they are not full substitutes.
Like if I buy an all electric car and do in fact save money vs a gasoline engined car... but can no longer take longer trips in it as a result.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm

DonIce wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm
Improve / learn new skills related to your main career path. Then get a raise/promotion/switch jobs. "Side gigs" for extra cash are a waste of time (unless they are doing something that makes you happy).
What amount of cash would you consider not to be a waste of time via a side "gig"?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

corysold

Post by corysold » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Check your local Craigslist to paper routes. Can earn $15,000-25,000/year. Hours aren't great, but are outside of regular working hours.

Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm

corysold wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:00 pm
Check your local Craigslist to paper routes. Can earn $15,000-25,000/year. Hours aren't great, but are outside of regular working hours.
Is this newspaper deliveries? I didn't know if they did this very much still...
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm

ram wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm
These are excellent ideas.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm
ram wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm
These are excellent ideas.
I've also known people who do office cleaning at night or on weekends. It's still physical work, but not overly demanding.

hsmith

Post by hsmith » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am

tomwood wrote:
Are there any easy things someone can do to earn a few thousand dollars per year? Ideally this is something that can be accomplished at odds hours throughout the day, which in all likelihood would make this an online job. ... Are there any ideas people might know or does anyone here do anything to earn a few thousand more outside of their day job?
If you're in California, you could make $2,500.00 per month by posting regularly on your personal social-media accounts in support of a certain wealthy political candidate and sending text messages to your friends about him. :happy https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... oomberg-to
Last edited by hsmith on Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 am

Become an Uber driver.

snowox

Post by snowox » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:47 am

Check out task rabbit. Also online surveys.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:01 pm

tomwood wrote:
"cyclingduo" had great points to pay attention to.

How to make money from the comfort of one's home with very little investment and no skills?

Everyone wants to do this.
Tons of books on the subject.
Tons of seminars.
Tons of forums as well.

What are you skillsets?
Are you sellling a service or a product?
If you are selling a service, can you do it at a high skill level dependably and reliably time after time?
If you are selling a product, is it something that has very little competition?
Are you able to meet customer demands at all hours of the day or in a flexible timely manner?
How much time/hours per week are you willing to devote to this effort?
How much time and effort and money have you invested so far in your product, service, skillset, to reach a high level?
Is your product or service very special and unique and in demand and others are willing to pay for it?
Is your product or service something that is needed that others cannot DIY?

For example:
DW and I are professional photographers with our portfolios handled by various services such as Getty, etc. As well as product and commercial photography for clients. It has taken many decades and a huge investment in time and money for equipment and software, etc, and to hone our skillsets to meet the high demands of this genre. Think, product advertising images, Vogue magazine quality, etc. And, we are now able to earn a side income that's self replenishing, and fun, in retirement.
And, we started very small in the beginning.

** Axiom: it is was easy, everyone would succeed at it.
** The folks who sell "get rich in your spare time" "how I did it" books make a lot of money on those books and seminars.

If you cannot commit to the above efforts and time demands, then better and more assured to get a part time job, one with flexible hours.

Or, if you are handy, put out for part time work as a handyman, janitor, window cleaner, landscaper. Start small. Exchange sweat for dollars. Leave the comfort of home and the desk chair.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

gretah

Post by gretah » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:56 pm

I write books and self-publish on Amazon.

Not entirely passive income but at least I am not trading time for money any longer.