Medicare enrollment question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Colorado Guy

Medicare enrollment question

Post by Colorado Guy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Am 67 and currently employed, but leaving the company at the end of February. While I have Part A already, I have not signed up for the rest of Medicare. With that said, while my employment officially ends in two weeks, I will continue to have company insurance (not COBRA) until August 1 2020, which is less expensive than Medicare.

I am assuming that I should sign up for Medicare starting August 1st. Just needing to get that confirmed by the more experienced Bogleheads. If I need to sign up for Medicare starting March 1st, I need to hustle.

Thx

cashmoney

Re: Medicare enrollment question

Post by cashmoney » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Colorado Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm
Am 67 and currently employed, but leaving the company at the end of February. While I have Part A already, I have not signed up for the rest of Medicare. With that said, while my employment officially ends in two weeks, I will continue to have company insurance (not COBRA) until August 1 2020, which is less expensive than Medicare.

I am assuming that I should sign up for Medicare starting August 1st. Just needing to get that confirmed by the more experienced Bogleheads. If I need to sign up for Medicare starting March 1st, I need to hustle.

Thx

Have employer fill out https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/ ... -L564E.pdf .As long as it is within 8 months of employment ending and employee coverage was primary you can apply for the special enrollment period 3 months out.I.E someone applying today can ask for a march 1st,april 1st or May 1st effective date.

Topic Author
Colorado Guy

Re: Medicare enrollment question

Post by Colorado Guy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:21 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm
Have employer fill out https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/ ... -L564E.pdf .As long as it is within 8 months of employment ending and employee coverage was primary you can apply for the special enrollment period 3 months out.I.E someone applying today can ask for a march 1st,april 1st or May 1st effective date.
Thank you!