HR Block, Keogh account related tax question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tapotti

HR Block, Keogh account related tax question

Post by tapotti » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 pm

This is a rather specific question, so hopefully there's someone here who really loves taxes and HR Block software :D .

Quick summary: I had an independent contractor side gig where I made $10,000. This is reported on a 1099. I have a Keogh account and want to make a profit-sharing contribution to this account. I can't make a regular contribution since I already maxed out a 401k at my main job. Anyways, my understanding is I can contribute 20% of my net profit (after subtracting FICA and business expenses) as a profit sharing contribution. Long story short, I contributed $1745 to my account.

How do I property report this contribution on HR Block?

Under the schedule C business expenses section, there's a box for "Pension and Profit sharing contributions". Do I enter the amount of $1745 there or leave it blank? It specifically states this is for employees. But if I'm a solo contractor, is it still valid?

Reason I ask is because under the Adjustments section, there's another section for Keogh, SEP, and Simple contributions. And it has a place to enter profit sharing contributions again. Do I enter $1745 there as well?

I know this is confusing, so I won't be surprised if there are not responses. Feel free to PM me!

leveraged

Re: HR Block, Keogh account related tax question

Post by leveraged » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am

You enter it under the Adjustments section "Keogh, SEP, and SIMPLE Contributions". It should be output onto your return on your 1040 (Schedule 1, Line 15).

Schedule C is only for contributions you made to your employees, not counting yourself:
Enter your deduction for the contributions you made for the benefit of your employees to a pension, profit-sharing, or annuity plan (including SEP, SIMPLE, and SARSEP plans described in Pub. 560). If the plan included you as a self-employed person, enter the contributions made as an employer on your behalf on Schedule 1 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 15, or Form 1040-NR, line 28, not on Schedule C.
(from IRS Schedule C instructions)

Topic Author
tapotti

Post by tapotti » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks! That's very helpful.

One more question: Based on the income of $10,000, I calculated my employer FICA tax component as $765. I had $513 in other business expenses.

How much can I contribute to my profit sharing? I had contributed $1745 but my software is saying I can contribute $3465. What is the deal? I thought you could contribute 25% of net earnings at most.

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:03 am

I use the Oblivous Investor's solo 401k calculator

https://obliviousinvestor.com/solo-401k ... alculator/
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am

tapotti wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:44 am
Thanks! That's very helpful.

One more question: Based on the income of $10,000, I calculated my employer FICA tax component as $765. I had $513 in other business expenses.

How much can I contribute to my profit sharing? I had contributed $1745 but my software is saying I can contribute $3465. What is the deal? I thought you could contribute 25% of net earnings at most.
I don't think your employer-side FICA number is correct, because that's 7.65% of $10,000. It should be smaller, because it's based on your net self employment income (after expenses), not to mention there's a fudge factor so that you aren't paying FICA taxes on your FICA taxes.

I suggest you manually run through Schedule C and Schedule SE.

Additionally, is the software aware you maxed out your employee contributions already?