Identity theft

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jmorgans

Identity theft

Post by jmorgans » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 pm

So my identity was stolen and two bank accounts were opened in my name. It appears the thief had my SSN, birthdate and enough other info to open the accounts. I have taken all the necessary steps (closing the accounts, police report, FTC, freezing credit reports, changing passwords).

My question is how to prevent this person from figuring out where I legitimately bank or invest, calling and impersonating me and draining my account?

yangtui

Re: Identity theft

Post by yangtui » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Good chance they have a long list of PII to exploit in a somewhat specific way for a somewhat specific reason. Directly stealing your money might not be something they are interested in doing. I would be more concerned about how they got your info.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Either monitor accounts frequently and/or set up alerts. That’s what I do (had ID theft). Also I’ve spread the money around a bit so I don’t get completely locked out of something.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

SR II

Post by SR II » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 pm

OP - This doesn't have anything to do with your bank accounts, but you ought to contact the IRS and have them send you a PIN yearly. Our federal taxes were hacked about five years ago and someone filed as us. We didn't find out until we went to file our return electronically and our tax lady got an error message. It took over seven months to straighten out and get our refund. And, we were lucky it only took that long.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm

You said you froze credit reports, but be sure you freeze the Chex systems also.
https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chexsys ... BIS9nQSEh/

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 am

jmorgans wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 pm
So my identity was stolen and two bank accounts were opened in my name. It appears the thief had my SSN, birthdate and enough other info to open the accounts. I have taken all the necessary steps (closing the accounts, police report, FTC, freezing credit reports, changing passwords).

My question is how to prevent this person from figuring out where I legitimately bank or invest, calling and impersonating me and draining my account?
Just curious how you found out about the newly opened accounts and how long it was after they were opened.

Also, what did the person do beyond just opening the accounts? Were they applying for loans? Were they trying to link the fraudulently opened accounts to any of your existing accounts (in an attempt to drain those)?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

PVW

Post by PVW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 am

yangtui wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:53 pm
I would be more concerned about how they got your info.
What would you do with that information?

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am

PVW wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 am
That is a good question that I had to think about for a second. I would see if it was part of a larger PII disclosure that is eligible for some sort of free credit monitoring service or other benefit that would help to mitigate further issues down the road. I would also use the answer to potentially adjust my own behavior in terms of how and who I disclose my PII to.

PVW

Post by PVW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm

yangtui wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am
PVW wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 am
That is a good question that I had to think about for a second. I would see if it was part of a larger PII disclosure that is eligible for some sort of free credit monitoring service or other benefit that would help to mitigate further issues down the road. I would also use the answer to potentially adjust my own behavior in terms of how and who I disclose my PII to.
I've thought about it as well. I've come to the conclusion that we're at the mercy of those that have our information. I'm resigned to my PII being in the public domain. Not happy about it, just resigned to it.

For my short soapbox speech - If our congressmen would pass a law that put a value on keeping my PII private, companies would do a lot more to keep it private. As it is now, most companies suffer a little embarrassment and that's it.

Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:22 pm

jmorgans wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 pm
If you haven't already, call your banks. They will add a note to your account and may be able to set up additional security measures for you.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:08 pm

And your brokerage may have 2FA plus a voice recognition option. Fidelity does, and we enrolled.