Turbotax and 1099R question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jerry55

Turbotax and 1099R question

Post by Jerry55 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Maybe I'm used to using TaxAct, which asks for 1099R info up-front, however, it's asking for all sorts of OTHER types of income including dividends, Interest income, etc. I tried to bypass that and just typed in 1099R and it takes me to a Q & A page on how to add it in the beginning (No direct link etc). I thought it would be smart enough to understand I DO NOT have a W-2 form to begin with, since I entered "RETIRED" in the beginning...... and I can't seem to find where to insert that info, even when I enter "where to enter 1099R info"

Should I just continue with Dividend, interest, etc and PRAY that it shows me where to enter that 1099R income later, or am I just being stuck to the way taxact has done it for over a decade. I've been running in circles for almost 1 hr, and I figure it's best to leave it if frustrated, and come back another day.

This is my first time ever using Turbotax.
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!

Gryphon

Re: Turbotax and 1099R question

Post by Gryphon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm

If you keep going, you'll get to it pretty soon. The order of the sections in the Wages & Income portion of the interview is:

Wages & Salaries
Unemployment
1099-MISC & Other Common Income
Interest & Dividends
Investment Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security <--- this is where you enter your 1099-Rs
Rental Properties & Royalties
Business Items
Less Common Income

Or, if you like, you can click on the Wages and Income button and select I'll choose what I work on, and go straight to the Retirement Plans section. But if this is your first time using Turbo Tax, I'd suggest sticking with the interview for now.

CRC301

Post by CRC301 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Edit: above post beat me to it. :)

Which version of TurboTax did you purchase?

I can check tomorrow but there's a prompt towards the beginning that asks whether you want to be guided through all sub-sections or pick which ones to dive into. I always choose the pick your sub-sections option and there's a section that deals with 1099r's that you can click on.

Topic Author
Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm
If you keep going, you'll get to it pretty soon. The order of the sections in the Wages & Income portion of the interview is:

Wages & Salaries
Unemployment
1099-MISC & Other Common Income
Interest & Dividends
Investment Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security <--- this is where you enter your 1099-Rs
Rental Properties & Royalties
Business Items
Less Common Income

But if this is your first time using Turbo Tax, I'd suggest sticking with the interview for now.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !
I feel that, if frustrated, it's best to just take a break, and get back to it at some other time.

CRC301 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm
Edit: above post beat me to it. :)

Which version of TurboTax did you purchase?

I can check tomorrow but there's a prompt towards the beginning that asks whether you want to be guided through all sub-sections or pick which ones to dive into. I always choose the pick your sub-sections option and there's a section that deals with 1099r's that you can click on.
TurboTax Deluxe. I chose the "YES, I really don't know what I'm doing so please guide me thru everything" option. :shock: :oops: :thumbsup

Thank You as well.
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!

Topic Author
Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:16 pm

FINAL WORD ~

I love TurboTax. Works just as both of you said, I'll continue to use it, as I'm an Intuit user in general. (Willmaker and Family Law pdf)