Deduction with no records

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Goal33

Deduction with no records

Post by Goal33 »

Once I found out that moving expenses were not federally deductible, I went ahead and decided to toss those records...

I now realize that even though there is no federal benefit, I could still benefit on my CA return.

I spent about 2k pulling off the move, which is very reasonable. I'd like to take this deduction given I legitimately paid to be moved. I can't imagine being audited over a 2k deduction... but figured I'd throw this out there to the community to provide any advice in this type of scenario.
HomeStretch

Re: Deduction with no records

Post by HomeStretch »

If audited, likely the deduction will be disallowed due to lack of support. Consider requesting duplicate receipts.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Anything on your credit card statement that would be specifically for moving? Uhaul rental, etc?
Gill

Post by Gill »

Go ahead and deduct it and if you’re ever audited explain what happened. Should be no problem.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Take the deduction. What's to lose? You would have to be audited, odds of which are not high.
If you are, and they disallow, you are back where you began.

It's not a jailable offense!
Gill

Post by Gill »

No reason not to deduct it. You paid it and it's a legitimate deduction.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:36 am Anything on your credit card statement that would be specifically for moving? Uhaul rental, etc?
The best I have is the yelp conversation with a mover where we agreed on the move.
Topic Author
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Gill wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 am Go ahead and deduct it and if you’re ever audited explain what happened. Should be no problem.
Gill
I think this makes sense. At a minimum they know I moved, and I’m sure any reasonable IRS agent will realize I did a lot of DIYing to get a Bay Area move under 2k

Edit: probably wouldn’t be an irs agent... I mean CA agent!