Rounded up share price on tax form

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
deanmoriarty

Rounded up share price on tax form

Post by deanmoriarty »

Hello,

In 2019, I exercised a significant amount of employer ISO. My exercise price was $0.166, and I exercised 200,000 shares, writing a fat check to my company for $33,200 (ugh!).

Since I held on to the exercised shares for the entire duration of 2019, I am hit with AMT. Considering the fair market value of the shares on the day of exercise was $1.50, I am expected to pay AMT on the bargain element ($1.50 - $0.166) * 200,000 = $266,800. In fact, I have made properly IRS and state quarterly payments throughout 2019.

Last week, I received the official form 3921, that I should use to report my transaction for AMT purposes on my tax return. However, in the form the exercise price of the shares has been rounded up to $0.17. This results in a bargain element of ($1.50 - $0.17) * 200,000 = $266,000, lower than the one I was expecting.

My question is: what cost basis do I use when I file 2019 taxes for AMT purposes? Certainly when/if I'll sell the shares I will use $0.166 as cost basis for regular capital gain/loss calculation, but for this year's AMT, could I use the rounded version reported to me on form 3921, or should I use the more accurate number based on the actual transaction that occurred?

Thanks!

PS: Please limit your reply to tax advice. I know what I did is very irresponsible, but I am otherwise a very good boglehead and have actually been able to liquidate this employer stock in the past on the private market a couple times, for a pretty good profit :sharebeer
Topic Author
deanmoriarty

Re: Rounded up share price on tax form

Post by deanmoriarty »

Kindly bumping this up one (only) time for visibility.

Thanks
bryanm

Re: Rounded up share price on tax form

Post by bryanm »

Might want to send @SpiritRider a PM?