who do you bank with and why?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
cheesepep

Re: who do you bank with and why?

Post by cheesepep »

Chase for big bank stuff.

CapitalOne for savings account. I was an ING direct member originally.

Schwab for trading stuff, including a savings account there. Thinking of moving away from Schwab though for a brokerage bonus and also their interface is too slow, executions take forever, and their interface is a bit weird. For the latter, for example, when I click "execute" (or similar) and then click on "check order status," it will show me the order status of all of my trades (of which there may be a few) for the last few days and my most recent one is not at the top. Very annoying.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Wells Fargo. I don't particularly like them, but they're everywhere.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Switched from Chase to Ally after 35 years at Chase. Had that account since college.

At Chase, in order to have enough funds available to cover unexpected large bills, I had to keep a large amount in Checking or Saving earning essentially zero interest. It wasn't good enough to have an ACH connection to a broker because a transfer can take a day or two or more and sometimes you need the money available immediately. I estimate I was losing maybe 500-1000 $ every year on forgone interest, sometimes more, varying depending on balance or interest rates. With Ally, I can keep a very high balance in Savings and very little in the Checking account, just the minimum needed to cover bills. The savings account interest is very competitive and easily beats brokerage money markets these days. I have all my cash there now. With the phone app, I can transfer from Savings to Checking instantly to cover a large bill and even if I mess up, it will auto-draw from Savings at no charge. The website and app are very clear and easy to use. ATM charges reimbursed. Autopay, direct deposit, photo deposits, text alerts, fund transfers, etc. all work perfectly. No petty fees. The few times I have e-chatted or called customer service, when I was setting things up, I got quick responses. Overall, just a better solution. Chase was fine functionally, but wasn't worth what I was giving up in forgone interest every year. The only thing you give up is a physical presence. I don't deposit cash, I don't have a safety deposit box, I don't need cashier's or other specialized checks, I've never needed a Medallion Signature. I haven't set foot in a physical bank branch in decades, except to get quarters for parking. If Chase paid any kind of Savings account interest, I wouldn't have bothered leaving. These advantages are not unique to Ally. Other on-line banks that have both a high-yield savings account and a checking account (some are only Saving) would probably work similarly. I picked Ally because it seemed to be the BH default choice and it has worked for me.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Who do you bank with? Wells Fargo for day-to-day needs.
And why? Inertia mostly. That and the fact they have ATM machines saturating the campus where I work, plus two branch offices within 4 miles of my home. Plus, I think it’s cool that they let me upload a photograph to make a customized ATM card.

Most of our cash is at Capital One, which has been competent and more than adequate. Have a couple of accounts at other online banks just to earn bonuses.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Bank of America, just for our checking account. Both our paychecks are direct deposited there. Really just used as a way station for our money before going to bills, Vanguard, etc. People love to hate the big banks, but we've really never had a problem.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I switched to a nearby regional bank after many years at BoA, when it's CEO was making noises about charging people to use their debit cards.

The regional bank is Broadway Bank of San Antonio.

They have a branch with safe deposit boxes in my community and are open for a few hours on Saturday morning for the benefit of those of us that work during the week. Their network of ATM's extends only across part of Central Texas, but that's generally fine for my needs. I also have a Fidelity CMA with a debit card with nationwide reimbursement (which I've actually never needed).

I chose them in large part because the attorney who drafted my will had recommended I specify their trust department in my will in the event of my incapacity, so I decided to go ahead and use them for my current banking needs while I still have my marbles.

I think this is an often-neglected banking function, which few do well.

https://broadway.bank/Wealth-Management ... Management
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I use BofA as my checking/operating account. Have had an account with them for nearly 3 decades. Branch is ~ 2 miles from my house and they greet me by name when I walk in the door.

I don't keep any excess funds with BofA though. I have accounts with both Ally and Marcus bank for excess cash (most of the funds sit in no-penalty or traditional CD's or what I consider to be part of the short end of my fixed income exposure). I also do business with another bank (local) and several credit unions, but those are only because I've opened attractive CD's with them.

I have relationships with four brokers (although two were opened only because of transfer bonuses, one of which remains open post the award of the bonus to secure Platinum Honors level benefits at BofA).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
beyou

Post by beyou »

Chase has no fees for veterans and active duty military
https://www.chase.com/digital/military/personal
If not military, they have options with reasonable ways to eliminate fees, the requirements stated by OP are much higher than advertised.

Personally I find Chase to have superior service and website to another big bank (Citi).

I also use Citi because I had that before Chase, but over time have moved towards Chase (credit cards first, maybe checking when I have time later).

Many online banks provide good service and if you don’t need in person banking, I suggest firstib.com for a
pure bank with great service and rates. For a broker/bank, very happy with Etrade.
Rlew

Post by Rlew »

I use Ally for all my banking needs (checking, emergency fund/savings, bill pay) and Fidelity for all my investing needs. Very happy with the arrangement.

I've been very satisfied with Ally - good HYSA rate, fast transfers, good customer service (at least that's been my experience, but I haven't needed much from them), and a good mobile app (important to me). I have no need for or interest in a physical location. I think Alliant would have suited my needs too, but Ally seems widely recommended here and elsewhere if you are looking for an online bank only.
"When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one" Jack Bogle
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

Navy Federal and Pentagon Federal Credit Unions. Have been with them for well over 40 years and have done car loans, home mortgages and refinances with them. They have many ATMs and several branches where I live, though I rarely ever go into one. Both are part of large ATM networks that charge no fees. I have never had a problem with them that couldn't be fixed with a phone call - their service response is excellent. A few times, I had accounts at a local banks as I thought it would be easier to conduct business that way. Turned out that any local bank I had accounts at was promptly swallowed up by a larger bank. Some several times.

For at least the last 20 years, I have had no local bank accounts - only the two credit unions. I also have brokerage accounts with several fund families, but I don't do banking with them. I have found NFCU and PFCU to be the best banking solutions for checking accounts, loans and things that are done at traditional banks. They also have excellent websites. As for loan rates, they are both very competitive with other places you can obtain loans. Most importantly, both service you home loans forever (at least for now). My first home loan was sold 4 times to different servicing companies within 6 years, all of which were incompetent, until I refinanced with NFCU. They both have my trust.

As usual, YMMV.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I joined the Navy Federal Credit Union back in 1961 when I entered the US Navy. Have been with them ever since as my main bank and used them for car loans back in the 60s to mid-80s when I could not pay cash for a new car. More recently I have used NFCU for a monthly ladder of certificates of deposit. Even though their rates have gone down significantly, along with other financial institutions, they currently have the best one-year rates. Back early this year they offered a 17-month 2.25% APY certificate with a $75K limit and my wife and I each pounced on that offer. Wish they would come back with a good offer, but I feel those days are long gone. :( I do maintain an account with a local brick and mortar bank just for needed special services.
Tom D.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Wow this thread is amazing ... people still use paper checks in 2020?
I'm not only still on my first box of checks, I'm on my first pad of checks from 20 years ago ... not sure where it's even at.

USBank for checking/lines of credit/savings/mortgage/CD's.
PenFed for CD's, did do a car loan from them long ago.
Ally for part of the EF.
Fidelity for the other half of the EF/401k/ira/roth/term life/sweep can be used for EF.

CitBank for the wife's new laptop fund (don't tell her it's for Christmas!) she doesn't have access to it but does have access to my Dell account so I have to be a bit sneaky. Otherwise it's for my new gun fund.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

pesos wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:13 pm We moved back to the mainland from Hawaii where they only have on-island banks and am trying to figure out where to get a relationship going. Have long been with Wells but don't really want to reward them with further business if I can help it. Dumped things into Chase right now as they had about $1,600 in bonuses going but not sure if they are the best long term requiring $75k to avoid fees - although I imagine investments would count for that?

Thanks!
When we last moved we picked the closest bank to our house. Easy 5 minute walk. They had safe deposit boxes available. No fees. (except for a reasonable fee for safe deposit box). I'm not chasing bonuses. I like having a local bank I can walk to
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
tj

Post by tj »

Alliant Credit Union is my hub. Mostly because inertia, too lazy to establish bill pay anywhere else.

I've had various accoutns at other institutions for various reasons, mostly signup bonuses, but I do maintain a Navy Federal account and have my direct deposit there as in the past htey have advanced pay to federal employees during furloughs.

I also have a Bank of America account to qualify for the Platinum Honors credit card bonuses and I have the rewards auto deposited into that account.
drk

Post by drk »

Fidelity. Earlier this year, I moved there from Schwab because of better rates on my idle cash, better brokerage overdraft set-up, and equally good ATM perks. I also consolidated all of my investments there because of convenience (my employer's 401k is there) and the incredibly good HSA. Now that the cash rates are crap, I'm planning to stick with Fidelity because it's all so convenient.

I also have a checking account with a local credit union as a back-up, with BofA for the Platinum Honors bonus on credit card spending, and with a couple of other big banks for bonuses. None of the others is on the same level as Fidelity or Schwab.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

dknightd wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:07 pm
pesos wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:13 pm We moved back to the mainland from Hawaii where they only have on-island banks and am trying to figure out where to get a relationship going. Have long been with Wells but don't really want to reward them with further business if I can help it. Dumped things into Chase right now as they had about $1,600 in bonuses going but not sure if they are the best long term requiring $75k to avoid fees - although I imagine investments would count for that?

Thanks!
When we last moved we picked the closest bank to our house. Easy 5 minute walk. They had safe deposit boxes available. No fees. (except for a reasonable fee for safe deposit box). I'm not chasing bonuses. I like having a local bank I can walk to
Local credit unions are also great and have no fees. Mine is less than a mile from home.
n00b

Post by n00b »

pesos wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm I read through most of the fidelity thread which was a good one. A one stop shop is certainly attractive in many ways. For those who are taking this approach, how do you feel about their total fee structure, and how much do you have with them?
I don't have much at Fidelity and pay zero beyond expense ratios (but they do get $5/mo out of my wife in her employer-sponsored plan).

The HSA is great. I set up but have never really used the checking account since I'm happy with Schwab. If I'm picking knits, I don't care for the way the Fidelyity brokerage account books deposits in Quicken downloads. The Fidelity Rewards Visa offered by Elan was alright but falsely flagged too many transactions as fraud so I went to the Citi Double Cash card and have been happier. Fidelity could ALMOST have been a one stop shop for me.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

I use Chase for most banking. I started when it was still WaMu back in the day. I just think that Chase is so easy and I've always been there, so that's why. They have great app and website, so I don't even really need to worry about if they don't operate locally, which they don't in Wisconsin.

I use a local bank for the mortgage, because they came recommended and because it's nice to know that my mortgage officer is right down the street.

I have the paycheck deposit into Chase and then I set up automatic transfers into the local bank to service the mortgage. Maybe that's a little circuitous, but at least it makes sense in my head.
Thrift stores, outlets and market corrections have this in common: you're buying on sale.
tj

Post by tj »

I use a local bank for the mortgage, because they came recommended and because it's nice to know that my mortgage officer is right down the street.
You continuously communicate with a mortgage officer?

I couldn't tell you the name of the person who collected the commissions on my mortgages. :mrgreen:
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

tj wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:57 pm
You continuously communicate with a mortgage officer?

I couldn't tell you the name of the person who collected the commissions on my mortgages. :mrgreen:
No not really! :D Seemed like a good idea at the time, though. At least in a feel-good way, it seems nice to have some local banking going on, but I don't think that I could really justify on a forum of finance buffs.
Thrift stores, outlets and market corrections have this in common: you're buying on sale.
Gray

Post by Gray »

USAA (since 97), Ally (since 2012), and Navy Federal (since 2010). They all have strengths and weaknesses, but we’ve never had a problem. USAA’s web services have always been very flexible. Ally provides a decent rate and fast transfers. Navy holds our Jumbo mortgage and their website is getting better over time.
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

No problems with USAA. Have one of their credit cards and they have very low interest rates if you want to carry a balance. I still consider their primary strength is insurance. They divested their mutual fund business a few years ago as it really wasn’t their in the main business model, which remains insurance. With so many good credit unions available, I steer clear of their banking line of business. YMMV
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

Alliant Credit Union as our main bank. BofA (our checks say "customer since 1981" but that goes back to California's Security Pacific Bank) as secondary more from inertia - despite issues dealing with them, there's been no reason for us to close it; account is still homed at the local branch near where we last lived in California 23 years ago; main thing this does for us is give us major bank presence over most of the country. Finally, a local bank as our safe deposit box is there and the branch is only a mile away if need be; this checking account is normally used by my wife so we can each write checks and not need to worry about what the other has written.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

MathWizard wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:44 pm Local Credit Union.
Data point: My brother lives in Lake Charles LA. He 'banked' at a local credit union which is still out of commission (3 weeks+) from the effects of Hurricane Laura. Recommend having at least a small account with a larger institution that has multiple branches so that a single natural disaster doesn't shut the institution down. He has a six-figure check from his homeowner's insurance company but no place to deposit it :oops: .
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm Data point: My brother lives in Lake Charles LA. He 'banked' at a local credit union which is still out of commission (3 weeks+) from the effects of Hurricane Laura. Recommend having at least a small account with a larger institution that has multiple branches so that a single natural disaster doesn't shut the institution down. He has a six-figure check from his homeowner's insurance company but no place to deposit it :oops: .
Thanks for that comment. Now I can justify keeping my old BofA account I mentioned above. With two accounts homed in the Chicago area, one in California, and brokerage accounts with check writing and ATM cards, should be enough redundancy for just about anything.
wander

Post by wander »

We use local B&M bank. Free public notary is handy.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Years ago I was a Bank of New York customer. Their retail banking operation was taken over by Chase. I've been with Chase ever since. Chase's interest rates have always been very low, so I don't keep much of a balance there. I've used their bill-pay for many years and they don't make mistakes. Two of my three monthly direct deposits go to Chase.

I also have checking & savings at USAlliance credit union, and a savings account at Synchrony Bank (online) for their better interest rates. A year of so ago I opened a checking account at a local branch of a regional bank, Catskill-Hudson, to get an inexpensive safe deposit box.

I know, probably more complicated than it should be!
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

fwellimort wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:49 pm Fidelity for checkings. No other checkings without hassle gives ~1.4% currently. And no penalties or fees. And any ATM withdrawal.

Also, Fidelity trusts "transfers" quite much. If you claim you will transfer a few thousand, you get access to a few thousand right away instantly without question. No waiting period. Just click and done. You can just buy ETFs right away without the money being processed in (out of good faith).

For credit cards, BoA cashbacks for travel / dining / online / groceries for that good % (preferred member). Else 2% Fidelity.

For savings account, TreasuryDirect's I-Bonds. I-Bonds while not 2.53% for new money is currently 2.22% and is tax deferred + state/local tax exempt.
And is more liquid than an online savings account after 1 year lockdown (the ACH is within a day from my experience).
Otherwise, I have some money scattered in Vanguard Prime, Wealthfront, and Marcus.
??? Not true for me. You are gIving people a false sense of what they will get here. I have to wait for externally transferred funds to clear before I can do anything with them. Their terms and conditions state:"Transfers to Fidelity are generally available for security purchases or withdrawal within four (4) business days. " With me it is usually 1 or 2 days - but this is still a waiting period.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inittowinit

Post by inittowinit »

Ally bank. Good rates, no fees, good service.
drk

Post by drk »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm
??? Not true for me. I have to wait for externally transferred funds to clear before I can do anything with them.
Are you pulling into your brokerage account or CMA?
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

I use Fidelity CMA and 2% card. Given no yield on MM funds today, I just opened an Ally HYSA to transfer my excess balances for at least a little return. When MM funds return, I will just keep everything at Fidelity.

The Fidelity CMA and card are great.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

drk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 pm
DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm
??? Not true for me. I have to wait for externally transferred funds to clear before I can do anything with them.
Are you pulling into your brokerage account or CMA?
I have done both - in both cases it shows me how much money I have to invest if I go to buy ETFs and it doesn't exceed anything external to Fidelity - and only funds that have cleared. I don't have a margin account - maybe that's the difference (e.g. - if you have agreed to margin they will pull from that if your funds don't clear).
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

I have a cash brokerage account at Fidelity. I can initiate a transfer into my account from Fidelity and my cash available to trade updates immediately, so I can buy ETFs, etc. before funds clear. I do this regularly.
Eurookat

Post by Eurookat »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am Wells Fargo. I don't particularly like them, but they're everywhere.
my wife has been a customer since the wachovia days. I'm an ally guy, then we got married and she refuses to switch over to an online bank. I lost so our main bank is with WF and our savings is at Ally. can't win em all but I do miss Ally's bill pay.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

tj wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:57 pm You continuously communicate with a mortgage officer?
To follow-up on that, I literally just went in today and talked with her for a few minutes while I was running errands downtown.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Eurookat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm
Quirkz wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am Wells Fargo. I don't particularly like them, but they're everywhere.
my wife has been a customer since the wachovia days. I'm an ally guy, then we got married and she refuses to switch over to an online bank. I lost so our main bank is with WF and our savings is at Ally. can't win em all but I do miss Ally's bill pay.
Maybe you could talk her into a local credit union. If she wants local. Still better than the big banks.
tj

Post by tj »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:49 pm
tj wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:57 pm You continuously communicate with a mortgage officer?
To follow-up on that, I literally just went in today and talked with her for a few minutes while I was running errands downtown.
For fun, or for banking purposes?
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Banking, actually. There was an error on the mortgage paperwork, saying that we owed $0 on October 1st. As much as I would like to say the mortgage is all paid-off, that is not true. It was actually easier for me just to talk with her than it was to have to call some 1-800 or something.
But since you mention it, she did then ask me how my kids were doing and how I'm liking my job and stuff. So in typical midwestern fashion, it started about the weather, then on to business, and then on to digression. :sharebeer