My Social Security login problem

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GreenGrowTheDollars

My Social Security login problem

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

I just tried to login to mysocialsecurity (one time) and got the following response:

We tried three times to match the information you provided with our records, but were unable to do so. You may try to access the electronic information again after 24 hours. Please verify your personal information again before trying to use this online service.

This suspension will not affect any Social Security benefits you receive. For further assistance, please contact us.

Should I be worried? I tried logging in using the username and password I have for that account that I've used before. I only tried once. I have no idea what the "three times" means. :confused
Sandi_k

Re: My Social Security login problem

Post by Sandi_k »

If your credit file is frozen, they will suspend your my SSA login. I had to go to my local SS office to get it "unlocked."
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

My wife and i both have frozen credit and have no problem logging in to my SS. Could have been someone else trying to login, using a misspelling of their myss username, or possibly someone trying to hack in.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

This happened to me, you are not alone. I might have gotten lucky on my 4th attempt. I called the SSA office, and the agent said that I am not the only one that fumbles. The system resets in 24hrs and you can try again.

- The questions stay mostly the same every attempt, with maybe changing one at a time. Write down your answers. If you are not sure about anything, perhaps that is what you got wrong.

- Keeping the screen idle sometimes makes it give an error in the end. I mean really, it has no patience.

- Some questions are really trick questions. None of the above is a very reasonable answer.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI »

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:20 pm I just tried to login to mysocialsecurity (one time) and got the following response:

We tried three times to match the information you provided with our records, but were unable to do so. You may try to access the electronic information again after 24 hours. Please verify your personal information again before trying to use this online service.

This suspension will not affect any Social Security benefits you receive. For further assistance, please contact us.

Should I be worried? I tried logging in using the username and password I have for that account that I've used before. I only tried once. I have no idea what the "three times" means. :confused
Happened to me. After several tries over several days, I punched the "forgot password" button and went on from there. That site seems a bit more sensitive than required.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Sandi_k wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:26 pm If your credit file is frozen, they will suspend your my SSA login. I had to go to my local SS office to get it "unlocked."
A question: I noticed that SS offers a higher security option where you have to provide something financial, like the last eight digits of a credit card (one option).

If you tried to sign up with that level security, with your credit frozen, perhaps that was the issue.

My credit is frozen, and I can access my SS info online with no issues, but I did not sign up for the higher level security option.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

If you have Equifax frozen, I believe the SSA site uses that. Try a temp unfreeze at just Equifax, that worked for me when I registered. I think I tried 5 min after the unfreeze and it worked. Don't know if they recheck this though, as you already have a login, but something to try.
Topic Author
GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

OK, I was able to log in last night, but I had to go through password change. When I couldn't log in on Sunday it never even asked me the challenge questions, so no clue. All data looks fine -- maybe their system just had a glitch?
sbauer90

Post by sbauer90 »

This happened to me. I also have my credit locked. I called and the SS rep told me to unlock only Equifax before I could create an account, because they check my personal information answers using Equifax. I unlocked Equifax for 24 hours, and I was able to setup My SSN account. Now I can log in without unlocking my credit, so long as my credentials are correct.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

I've never locked my credit file and have always been able to login before with no issues. I tried resetting password and got same thing.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Unladen_Swallow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:42 am This happened to me, you are not alone. I might have gotten lucky on my 4th attempt. I called the SSA office, and the agent said that I am not the only one that fumbles. The system resets in 24hrs and you can try again.

- The questions stay mostly the same every attempt, with maybe changing one at a time. Write down your answers. If you are not sure about anything, perhaps that is what you got wrong.

- Keeping the screen idle sometimes makes it give an error in the end. I mean really, it has no patience.

- Some questions are really trick questions. None of the above is a very reasonable answer.
Took me 3 times to finally register...Took the wife 2x. Can't understand why. Resets the next day .
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

My DH just tried to set up a MySSA account so he can apply for Medicare within the next 90 days. He was asked to supply the answers to these credit report questions and has tried and failed several times. Turns out that the agency still thinks he is married to his former wife although they have been divorced 25 years and her phone numbers, addresses, etc. are being associated with him! She has moved around a lot and they are not in touch, so he has no idea about the correct answers. He immediately challenged this information in his credit report and was subsequently notified that this information was deleted.

Sadly, the same questions are still being asked by the SSA website — some kind of lag — so he gave up and set up a phone appointment to sign up for Medicare.

As a former federal employee with a decent pension, he will never be eligible for Social Security benefits so he will likely abandon his quest for a MySSA account. 😁
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

JaneyLH wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:13 pm My DH just tried to set up a MySSA account so he can apply for Medicare within the next 90 days. He was asked to supply the answers to these credit report questions and has tried and failed several times. Turns out that the agency still thinks he is married to his former wife although they have been divorced 25 years and her phone numbers, addresses, etc. are being associated with him! She has moved around a lot and they are not in touch, so he has no idea about the correct answers. He immediately challenged this information in his credit report and was subsequently notified that this information was deleted.

Sadly, the same questions are still being asked by the SSA website — some kind of lag — so he gave up and set up a phone appointment to sign up for Medicare.

As a former federal employee with a decent pension, he will never be eligible for Social Security benefits so he will likely abandon his quest for a MySSA account. 😁
At his appointment have them set up an account for him. 2 birds with 1 stone!
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:08 pm OK, I was able to log in last night, but I had to go through password change. When I couldn't log in on Sunday it never even asked me the challenge questions, so no clue. All data looks fine -- maybe their system just had a glitch?
I think, I think that it has to do with your password having expired. I know that a number of years ago I ran into a problem with the site doing something similar to me. All I know is that I have a reminder to log in once every month or so and eventually (as the window shortens) I'll be prompted to enter a new password. I do know (again, this is from memory) that I was frustrated that NOTHING in the login error message pointed to the password having expired being the problem. The message could have been "bad username or password" or something - I honestly can't remember. But whatever the reason, the homegrown solution I went with solved the problem. Maybe this glitch has been fixed by now.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

Both my and the wife's credit is frozen and I have the 16 digit codes for unlocking but could not even get the Equifax site to get to the point to unlock when the DW was signing up for Medicare. Ended up having to make an appointment and go to the office. After we returned from the SSA office I got an email that said for her to sign up online we would need to go to the office. If they would have sent the email one day earlier, could have done both Medicare AND get her MySSA account set up at the same time...😔😔😔
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

They have had trouble with it checking your credit info for a good while. I was able to sign up for SS online but could not set up a online account. Had to go by the SS office to get a acess code from them. No problem setting it up after that.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I had an experience similar to JaneyHL's husband. I wanted to set up a MySS account online, with the intention of claiming SS between age 69 and 70. (I previously applied for Medicare online with no difficulty five or so years ago.)

I was asked four multiple choice questions (drawn from, I later learned, Equifax) that had absolutely nothing to do with my life or personal history. Answering "None of the Above" to all of them counted as a failure, and I was locked out. I would have tried to go to an SS office with my passport for a code you use online to bypass this test. But the SS offices had just closed for the coronavirus. I called the SS 800 number and got my account unlocked.

AFTER THREE QUERY FAILURES, you are LOCKED OUT FOR LIFE. When you call up, they can no longer reset your access. The only remedy is to to do your business by telephone (I mean, as if you were disabled and can't go to an office. I was ABLE to claim my monthly SS that way. I don't mean I lied about my health, they could "see" that I was locked out, and gave me courteous help.)

After the Coronavirus lockdown is over, I hope to make an appointment to go to an office (to prove my identity) for the online code. I have no problem with an online SS account, and have good computer abilities. My credit agency accounts are not locked and have never been locked. I request credit reports about once a year.

I might add that when I, reluctantly, registered online for an Equifax consumer online account (in an effort to investigate the SS lockouts ...), Equifax itself asked me four useless, inaccurate identity questions and locked me out there. I had to speak to a phone bank person, and when I proved my identity to her, she approved my account. Of course they started sending me unwanted emails advertising predatory account-protection products and credit rating report products! As you know from news reports, they have provided horrible service to people with much worse Equifax problems than I have!