Chase Reserve Trip Delay Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Rainier

Chase Reserve Trip Delay Insurance

Post by Rainier »

I just wanted to report on my experience with filing a trip delay claim as a benefit from my Chase Sapphire Reserve.

We were flying out of a remote western ski town on January 1st and our plane ended up being delayed overnight due to a mechanical issue. All other airlines were fully booked and/or cancelled because it was also snowing. My wife and two kids rebooked for the same flight the next day (on an oversold flight) and I was forced to stay two extra nights and fly home on the 3rd. Due to the holiday and snow storm all the cheap hotels were fully booked.

I filed the claim online on the 4th and was fully reimbursed for my costs by January 24th.

The insurance covered: 2 bedroom condo for two nights (including cleaning fee), rental car (SUV) for two days, all meals I bothered to keep receipts for (including drinks) and one extra day of parking charges at our home airport.

My biggest concern was the $500/person/day limit since I fully allocated the second hotel/rental car days to myself. I think total costs were $1,300 with $700 to myself and $200 each to my wife and two kids. I clearly listed this on the spreadsheet I filed with the claim. Even so, they reimbursed me the full $1,300.

The process was a bit tedious to file the initial claim and the reviewer contacted me a few times with additional questions (family relationship and age of children, for example). I did have to get a formal email from the airline stating my flight was delayed overnight. I also paid for the flight with my Chase points so the reviewer had to request a confirmation from Chase that my UR points were used. I think that caused the biggest delay.
essbeer

Re: Chase Reserve Trip Delay Insurance

Post by essbeer »

Thanks for the report. Did the insurance provider ask anything about compensation from the airline?
Topic Author
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

essbeer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:37 pm Thanks for the report. Did the insurance provider ask anything about compensation from the airline?
Yes, that is part of the initial filing.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I’ve heard that it is tedious but if you stick with it they will pay legitimate claims. Glad it worked out for you.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

I don't think the Chase insurance is any different from other travel insurance claims. They make you jump through hoops to get reimbursed.
I think Chase uses Aon for the insurance.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Rainier wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 pm
essbeer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:37 pm Thanks for the report. Did the insurance provider ask anything about compensation from the airline?
Yes, that is part of the initial filing.
Did the airline provide any form or amount of compensation?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience