Credit Card Compromised

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
defscott627

Credit Card Compromised

Post by defscott627 »

My credit card was compromised (a fraudulent charge of $500 for a steakhouse gift card was charged). Luckily I got an alert the second they did it, and I had the bank shut the card down and send me a new number. (I still have the physical card).

My question is, if my card information was stolen, are there other things I need to do, such as contacting credit bureaus etc.? This seems to be the only thing compromised and the only charge that was made, but I don't know if it means they possibly had access to other things.
financeperchance

Re: Credit Card Compromised

Post by financeperchance »

This happened to me a couple months ago. Chase canceled my card number and issued me a new one. No problem at all.

Going forward, have you registered at creditkarma.com? It's important to monitor your credit files to make sure there's nothing in there you don't know about, and you can use that site to do that for free. Also, do you have your credit files frozen?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Freeze you credit everywhere.

Then, change all the places you are paying automatically with your card to the new card number.

It is a pain, but it will only cost you time.

Every couple of years DW or I have to go thru the drill.

Last time I had to change lots of my accounts that I paid automatically to my new card. Got a call last night from a vendor I overlooked. So I changed them over and I'm golden again. Lost time, but no money.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Suggest you read the Credit Freeze page of the Wiki.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Credit_freeze

Post by 123 »

This happened to me today as well with a charge of under $20 on the other side of the country at a local restaurant I had never heard of. The credit card company is issuing me a replacement card with a new number.

My experience is that this happens to me about once every 2 or 3 years (with different cards). I am exceptionally careful with the use of my cards. The particular card that was canceled today is one that I use only once or twice a month and it is not set up with any regular recurring payments but it is primarily used for travel expenses.

These things happen. I wouldn't worry about it. If it makes you feel better you can freeze your credit report with the credit companies but that tends to sometimes cause inconvenience that you don't expect.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

Happens to me (or my wife) about 1x/year on average. It just happened this month with Amex. The card was brand new, being used, and I never received it. Amex alerted me after a large charge was declined. I had the new (or 2nd) card within a week.

We have 16 Chase cards between the 2 of us so it's usually Chase. They got my bank account once but I caught that early and the money was back in my account in less than 24 hours (via paypal, where it was sent).

I've never had an issue with disputing the charges or getting a new card.

Honestly, I don't do anything other than monitor my credit cards and bank accounts at least weekly and credit karma monthly. I think most of our info is already out there in the criminal cyber world so I just monitor my status myself.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

fuddbogle wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:00 pm Happens to me (or my wife) about 1x/year on average. It just happened this month with Amex. The card was brand new, being used, and I never received it. Amex alerted me after a large charge was declined. I had the new (or 2nd) card within a week.

We have 16 Chase cards between the 2 of us so it's usually Chase. They got my bank account once but I caught that early and the money was back in my account in less than 24 hours (via paypal, where it was sent).

Honestly, I don't do anything other than monitor my credit cards and bank accounts at least weekly and credit karma monthly. I think most of our info is already out there in the criminal cyber world so I just monitor my status myself.
Yeah, I figure everything but my shoe size is somewhere on the 'net. I have alerts on all my cards, and credit locked down. Just an aggravation more than anything. It is the price we pay, unfortunately, though it is generally just time.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:39 pm
fuddbogle wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:00 pm Happens to me (or my wife) about 1x/year on average. It just happened this month with Amex. The card was brand new, being used, and I never received it. Amex alerted me after a large charge was declined. I had the new (or 2nd) card within a week.

Yeah, I figure everything but my shoe size is somewhere on the 'net. I have alerts on all my cards, and credit locked down. Just an aggravation more than anything. It is the price we pay, unfortunately, though it is generally just time.

Broken Man 1999
I order shoes online, so even my shoe size is somewhere on the net.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
WhyNotKnow

Post by WhyNotKnow »

yangtui

Post by yangtui »

not a big deal. let the cc company know and they will deal with it.