What the [heck] happened to MINT?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
CheeseHeadInParadise

What the [heck] happened to MINT?

Post by CheeseHeadInParadise »

I have been using mint.com almost since its inception. It served a need for me for many years. However, over the last few years I’ve become increasingly frustrated with account connection problems. I cam across this article today which mirrors my experience. I am experimenting with a new platform by Yodlee, which seems to be a better fit for me. I will report back later.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90453586/wh ... .Create%29
novacula Occami
HawkeyePierce

Re: What the [heck] happened to MINT?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Pretty sure Mint uses Yodlee under the hood, along with YNAB, Personal Capital and the majority of such services.
Topic Author
CheeseHeadInParadise

Post by CheeseHeadInParadise »

It is my understanding that Intuit dropped Yodlee’s service and currently uses their own proprietary method. My brief experience with Money by Yodlee shows marked improvement in connections and categorizing expenses. I rarely need to re-categorize. Of course, it is much too soon to draw conclusions.
novacula Occami
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I never completely setup Mint years ago. I used Quicken for a decade but stopped cold over 10 years ago and do not miss it. I focused on simplifying our financial lives to the extreme so that there really was no longer a need for any software.

In terms of our portfolio, Vanguard statements and website has more information that a stay the course investor could need.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The personal financial software market is not what is used to be. Intuit sold Quicken. Microsoft stopped Money. Nothing else really came on to the market.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Mint is awful. I make an active effort to keep up with it but decided to just delete my account and start fresh for January 2020.

Biggest issue I have is that I have a ton of accounts that I open to get bonuses, so Mint is indispensable when it comes to making sure I don’t forget about 1 and start racking up fees. Similarly, because I had a million accounts connected there were always errors.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I use it as my main budgeting tool. Every once in a while an account needs to be reconnected but overall no issues. Works the same as it has for years. (I use the Android app mostly)
Maven

Post by Maven »

CheeseHeadInParadise wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm I have been using mint.com almost since its inception. It served a need for me for many years. However, over the last few years I’ve become increasingly frustrated with account connection problems. I cam across this article today which mirrors my experience. I am experimenting with a new platform by Yodlee, which seems to be a better fit for me. I will report back later.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90453586/wh ... .Create%29
I'm happy you brought this up as it's been an issue for me over the past year or so. I'm an avid MINT user but the syncing and connection issues are the norm these days. I still love the platform but please do report back on what alternatives you come across.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

When the personal finance software programs started to ask for login in information to financial websites, I was not comfortable and never provided.
ChrisBenn

Post by ChrisBenn »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm When the personal finance software programs started to ask for login in information to financial websites, I was not comfortable and never provided.
I went halfway, and use it to aggregate my cc statements. I don't see any real (meaningful) threat associated with CC credentials - I don't see yodlee or PC for instance issuing new replacement cards, etc; and with all the cc protections I feel pretty well indemnified.

The combined journal of CC transactions makes taking a glance over them every so often (for fraudulent charges) much easier.

While I don't budget up front, I do like to look at my breakdown for the prev month - and since everything but rent goes through a cc it works as expected.

Finally, you won't be getting any sales calls from PC with no assets associated with your account :)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

And this means that if you have an account at Mint, you should be carefully considering an exit, because having sensitive information with a service that's in financial decline is a time of vulnerability.

Keeping sensitive information secure and constantly applying security patches costs money. Adhering to privacy policies prevents a service from making money by selling your information. Services that do all the right things when they are in good financial shape may start to get sketchy about them when they hit financial decline.

Free Internet services can be discontinued suddenly with very little notice--music and photo services have sometimes done so giving users only 30 days to download their purchased material, for example.

One of the puzzles for me is, once you have given your sensitive information to a web service, if you delete your account, how do you know that they have really deleted your personal information? Around 1999 when Financial Engines was simply a free web service, I signed up... a few years later I cancelled. I know the cancellation screen said they would delete all my personal information, but I don't see how I have anything but their word for it.

I think I did it wrong, by the way. I first cancelled my account, then changed all my passwords. I am thinking the right way to do it would be the other way around. If you've given your passwords to a third party web service, I am thinking one should first systematically change every password for the financial firms it accesses, then make sure that the aggregator is giving error messages confirming that it is no longer able to access them, and only then cancel the actual account.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

For mint has been on the upswing. There were some connections issues during the summer but they have been resolved. Problem for me is personal capital. One of my chase credit cards don’t refresh and their response for support have been a canned “we’re working on it” for >8 months. Capital one also doesn’t refresh without going thru 2FA but works fine in mint.
ohai

Post by ohai »

I stopped using Mint for Personal Capital as I find that the connections work a bit better there. It probably depends on what accounts you have. Just don't put in your phone number, so you won't get called by those FAs.