HRBlock software seems buggy

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tadamsmar

HRBlock software seems buggy

Post by tadamsmar »

I ran into a bug very early.

I clicked to get a list of financial institutions for my 1099 downloads. And it crapped out with some kind of SQL error dump.

The only thing that has worked right was pulling in my info from last year's return.
jeff1949

Re: HHBlock software seems buggy

Post by jeff1949 »

I see that they have an update coming tomorrow (Friday) so maybe there is a fix?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

jeff1949 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:14 pm I see that they have an update coming tomorrow (Friday) so maybe there is a fix?
All the softwares are not finalized, and mostly useless, until the end of Jan, if not mid Feb, in my experience. They're *ok* for estimating things, but using the last year's version can often be better, unless there were a ton of tax law changes that year (like last year)
OAG

Post by OAG »

FreeTaxUSA is fine. I used it to complete my Federal Return 2 days ago. It was accepted by IRS on same day (contrary to my thinking it could not be accepted until 1/27/20).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

OAG wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:49 pm FreeTaxUSA is fine. I used it to complete my Federal Return 2 days ago. It was accepted by IRS on same day (contrary to my thinking it could not be accepted until 1/27/20).
Many software companies and tax professionals will accept tax returns before opening day, January 27, 2020. That doesn’t mean that your tax return will be filed early. Software companies and tax professionals will submit returns when IRS systems open.

I have never submitted a return early. Do you really receive notification that the IRS has accepted your return? It would seem that such verbiage would be disallowed. Maybe they word it cleverly?
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Katietsu wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:34 pm Do you really receive notification that the IRS has accepted your return? It would seem that such verbiage would be disallowed. Maybe they word it cleverly?
Although the official IRS opening date is Jan 27, they do process a few returns early to test their process. So OAG's form may be one of the ones processed early.
jebmke

Re: HRBlock software seems buggy

Post by jebmke »

I have found that tax software goes through a lot of updating through February. By mid-late March things are pretty stable but I have gotten updates on my state module (HRB) as late as December.

Due to the tight schedule and late changes from the IRS and congress, software companies have little choice but to use early filers as additional quality assurance testers.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

jeff1949 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:14 pm I see that they have an update coming tomorrow (Friday) so maybe there is a fix?
They give Friday (today) as the date. But if you try, then the program tells you to try again after Friday. So the actual deadline is midnight.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Why is everybody in such a hurry to get started on their taxes before their documents have arrived and the tax software is ready for prime time? I won't be starting any part of the tax preparation process until February.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tadamsmar wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:38 am hey give Friday (today) as the date. But if you try, then the program tells you to try again after Friday. So the actual deadline is midnight.
The software vendor for our provider for TaxAide often rolls updates over the weekend. That is one of the reasons I avoid working at sites until Wednesday if I can. That gives them time to fix the stuff they break in the weekend update. By the time all the Saturday/Monday/Tuesday sites have found the new bugs, they have patched it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Katietsu wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:34 pm
OAG wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:49 pm FreeTaxUSA is fine. I used it to complete my Federal Return 2 days ago. It was accepted by IRS on same day (contrary to my thinking it could not be accepted until 1/27/20).
Many software companies and tax professionals will accept tax returns before opening day, January 27, 2020. That doesn’t mean that your tax return will be filed early. Software companies and tax professionals will submit returns when IRS systems open.

I have never submitted a return early. Do you really receive notification that the IRS has accepted your return? It would seem that such verbiage would be disallowed. Maybe they word it cleverly?
Acceptance Date: 01-21-2020
Submission ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Submission Timestamp: 01-21-2020 7:20 AM MST

Maybe you are correct. In any case I am "done" for TY 2019. BTW why do people buy Income/expense software, use it, then do not trust their "tracking"? I know some have really "complicated" returns.
Last edited by OAG on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Topic Author
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am Why is everybody in such a hurry to get started on their taxes before their documents have arrived and the tax software is ready for prime time? I won't be starting any part of the tax preparation process until February.
I just have some time to do it.

I am holding up on making the IRA investments of my wife's consulting 2019 income because I need to know my 1040 AGI to know if I should direct that investment to a Roth or Trad IRA. It has to do with avoiding higher premiums for Medicare Part B while maximizing tax avoidance in my case.

I have an estimate of the 1040 AGI, but I like the confirm the estimate before I act on it.

Also, I can get refunds (if any) sooner.
Topic Author
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

The fix is in the update.

When I tried to load Vanguard 1099 forms, I got a message saying they are not available till Feb 1. The forms may be available now, but not for automatic loading into HRBlock software.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

I start tax prep early to get some idea of final numbers. Last year I had to pay 12K and this year its going to be around 13K. Early prep helps in planning for tax payment. Thankfully I avoided tax penalties.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am Why is everybody in such a hurry to get started on their taxes before their documents have arrived and the tax software is ready for prime time? I won't be starting any part of the tax preparation process until February.
I start mine early -- before end of year -- to check my numbers. See if there is anything I can still do to lower taxes. As we get into the new year and the tax forms start coming in, I go back and enter the "real" numbers. I want to have everything ready to go as soon as the brokerage tax forms arrive in late Feb or early March.

Last year was my first RMD, so I had to go back and find my old 8606, which hasn't been needed in recent years since I stopped doing Roth conversions. Funny experience with H&R Block software: When I entered the value of my IRA, a question box popped up. "That a rather large number. Are you sure you entered it correctly?" Maybe that happens with 2-comma IRAs.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

!!! I received notice that my Vanguard combined 1099 is ready to download !!! They warn that they plan to get the 1099-B out by early March. Yet here it is.
I seem to recall that they got it out pretty early last year, too.