Umbrella insurance cost

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Zetorman

Umbrella insurance cost

Post by Zetorman »

I am currently paying $1200/yr for a $2mil umbrella policy through Erie. I was told that the high price is d/t having 4 people covered ie. 3 adults, 1 teenager. Anyone else paying this much?
Dopey

Re: Umbrella insurance cost

Post by Dopey »

You have me 2nd guessing my price, I’ll look it up later..... but I swear I was like $60/year for $1M.

So yeah, you’re a touch high.
B. Wellington

Post by B. Wellington »

149.00 Added to our combined policies for 1 Million in coverage.

Couple +55

Midwest.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Sounds high. We pay $1200 for $5M. 3 adults (one is a college student) and 1 teen driver (who turns 18 today!!!) Coverage in in force at both rental properties as well.
It used to be $650, prior to the (now) 20-year-old getting his license.
You may want to shop it around?
Cheers
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

We pay $220/yr for a 1M policy. No teenage drivers yet though!
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

I had Erie my entire life until my son turned 16 and drove. Umbrella and car insurance skyrocketed. Erie at least in Ohio prices extra high with teen drivers. We went with State Farm that had a teen driver program and saved a ton of money.
Topic Author
Zetorman

Post by Zetorman »

Thanks for all of the replies. I will check around.
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

I think it is your teenager. I was canceled twice by USAA over the years. Each time I picked up coverage with a company called USLI (I think). The premiums were well over a thousand dollars for much more meager coverage. I still have a teenager on my insurance but have requalified for USAA and premium dropped by more than half. In my experience, it is always best to shop around for any insurance product. The insurance companies don't reward loyalty. The long term fix for you is your teenager growing older or leaving your insurance. Best wishes.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

$230 for 1 year at $1m. 3 people, no teen driver, though we do have a pool.

This policy is separate from home/auto (different company).
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:36 am $230 for 1 year at $1m. 3 people, no teen driver, though we do have a pool.

If you don't mind answering, which company ? Most companies seem unwilling to offer umbrella unless you have home or auto with them.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

$154 for 1M with a company also holding car and house for couple with no children at home.

Tim
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

Currently with Erie now and pay $140 for two adults in mid 50's for $1 mill. Previously when I had one daughter (21 yrs old) on the policy it was $300. $1200 seems very high? Have any of the drivers been in accidents or had tickets recently?
Vernn

Post by Vernn »

Currently $483 for 2mil no teenager through RLI. You don't need to have your home/auto with them. https://www.rlicorp.com/personal-umbrella-policy
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

$450'ish for 5M for 2 adults, no kids.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:36 am $230 for 1 year at $1m. 3 people, no teen driver, though we do have a pool.

If you don't mind answering, which company ? Most companies seem unwilling to offer umbrella unless you have home or auto with them.
Stillwater.
RandomDude

Post by RandomDude »

$360 a year for $2MM with Progressive two adults in our 40's one home, two cars.
sherwink

Post by sherwink »

Mine is $605/ year for $4M. 2 adults, no children on policy.
TruthHurts87

Post by TruthHurts87 »

$827/year $2m with Geico. 3 adults, 3 vehicles.
ChicagoBear7

Post by ChicagoBear7 »

I hate to say it, but all of these price comparisons are meaningless since Umbrella/Excess Liability policies ARE NOT STANDARDIZED! You can not tell if the prices quoted are for a Yugo-type policy or a Mercedes-type policy. This obviously impacts your premium in addition to normal rating factors such as location, teenage drivers, accident history etc.

Some umbrella policies are straight excess - they only extend the underlying automobile or homeowners liability limits with no additional coverage offered. Other umbrellas offer additional coverage options such as personal tort liability, not-for-profit board/officer coverage, coverage for ATV's, motorcycles, incidental business coverage, home offices or extending uninsured/under insured coverage for you and your passengers. Exactly what is covered in a policy changes by company. It is best to consult with an independent agent who has access to several insurers to make sure you are buying the coverage you need for your liability exposures at a competitive price.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

ChicagoBear7 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 pm I hate to say it, but all of these price comparisons are meaningless since Umbrella/Excess Liability policies ARE NOT STANDARDIZED! You can not tell if the prices quoted are for a Yugo-type policy or a Mercedes-type policy. This obviously impacts your premium in addition to normal rating factors such as location, teenage drivers, accident history etc.

Some umbrella policies are straight excess - they only extend the underlying automobile or homeowners liability limits with no additional coverage offered. Other umbrellas offer additional coverage options such as personal tort liability, not-for-profit board/officer coverage, coverage for ATV's, motorcycles, incidental business coverage, home offices or extending uninsured/under insured coverage for you and your passengers. Exactly what is covered in a policy changes by company. It is best to consult with an independent agent who has access to several insurers to make sure you are buying the coverage you need for your liability exposures at a competitive price.
I would say that most diligent consumers can check what is covered and not covered by reading policy documents before, ahem, opening the umbrella.

Unless someone has specific and complex requirements maybe related to one's profession, or wants a large umbrella (> 5M maybe ?) I don't think an agent is worthwhile.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

$538/year for $2MM. 2 adults in Atlanta with lib mut
erictiger12

Post by erictiger12 »

Pay $400 with Amica for 2 millions, one teen boy driver away in college.
ChicagoBear7

Post by ChicagoBear7 »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm [I would say that most diligent consumers can check what is covered and not covered by reading policy documents before, ahem, opening the umbrella.

Unless someone has specific and complex requirements maybe related to one's profession, or wants a large umbrella (> 5M maybe ?) I don't think an agent is worthwhile.
The only problem with your suggestion is that in many states, insurers are not required to provide you with the language until AFTER the policy is issued - you as a layman can not perform any meaningful comparison until its too late. I would also suggest, most non-insurance people would not be aware of the numerous ins and outs for various coverages and how each insurer writes their own rules.

On several other threads on BH, there have been references to Jack Hungelmann the author of Insurance for Dummies. He is now retired, but was also a prolific author for various risk management entities. I would not rely upon the analysis attached since it is several years old and applies only to the Minnesota version of the policies analyzed, but it gives you an idea of just how "non-standardized" the policies can be.

https://www.irmi.com/articles/expert-co ... case-study

https://www.irmi.com/docs/default-sourc ... f?sfvrsn=4
Last edited by ChicagoBear7 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MedSaver

Post by MedSaver »

$360 for $3MM with Geico. 2 responsible adults though.
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

Allstate- 5 million for $574.15 per year. Also have HO and Auto with them. No pool. Both of us retired in our 70's.
Had one lawsuit two years ago. They paid for some expensive attorneys which would have cost us a bundle.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Zetorman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:09 am I am currently paying $1200/yr for a $2mil umbrella policy through Erie. I was told that the high price is d/t having 4 people covered ie. 3 adults, 1 teenager. Anyone else paying this much?
That seems high. We have $1,000,000 with Erie for $150 a year. You have to have certain minimums on both auto and home. I am planning to increase to $2,000,000 and believe it is $220 or so.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

If you title a car in your teenager's name does this not mitigate the issue? Why would an 18+ living away at college need to be covered?
ChicagoBear7

Post by ChicagoBear7 »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:34 pm If you title a car in your teenager's name does this not mitigate the issue? Why would an 18+ living away at college need to be covered?
If you are talking about an 18+ year old who is gainfully employed on a full time basis, not a student, not living at home and not dependent upon his parents for any living expenses, the issue is obviously mitigated.

HOWEVER, if the 18+ year old is full time student, living away at college or at home, receives parental support/funding to live, is claimed as dependent on your tax return and maybe you bought or gave junior the car he now owns, you can expect that you would be dragged into any major/severe lawsuit due to junior's negligence in a car accident.

Obviously, the exposure to this liability will vary by state and is extremely fact specific, but it is not quite as cut and dry as you might think.

See the attached.

https://www.yutzmerkle.com/blog/adult-c ... liability/
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:10 pm
Zetorman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:09 am I am currently paying $1200/yr for a $2mil umbrella policy through Erie. I was told that the high price is d/t having 4 people covered ie. 3 adults, 1 teenager. Anyone else paying this much?
That seems high. We have $1,000,000 with Erie for $150 a year. You have to have certain minimums on both auto and home. I am planning to increase to $2,000,000 and believe it is $220 or so.
Do you have teen drivers, like OP?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

SchruteB&B wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 pm
Probably next year.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

erictiger12 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:03 pm Pay $400 with Amica for 2 millions, one teen boy driver away in college.
$390 AMICA, $5 mil, one person. They have my auto and homeowners.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 pm
Probably next year.
Our umbrella from Erie increased substantially once we had a teen driver. I would prepare yourself to pay more.
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

I am curious why people feel the need to maintain liability limits of $5M? Is there some special activity in which you are engaged? Are you an aviator?

Seriously, why the limits? I guess $50 a month is nothing to many people considering the extra protection. Just curious on the thinking.

Thank you.
Vihoo

Post by Vihoo »

FOGU wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm I am curious why people feel the need to maintain liability limits of $5M? Is there some special activity in which you are engaged? Are you an aviator?

Seriously, why the limits? I guess $50 a month is nothing to many people considering the extra protection. Just curious on the thinking.

Thank you.
Real estate ownership?
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

SchruteB&B wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 pm
Probably next year.
Our umbrella from Erie increased substantially once we had a teen driver. I would prepare yourself to pay more.
I know. This thread reinforced that.
cognovimus

Post by cognovimus »

FOGU wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm I am curious why people feel the need to maintain liability limits of $5M? Is there some special activity in which you are engaged? Are you an aviator?

Thank you.
I'd be interested in how you select this limit. I think we might need to up ours from $2M to $3M but not sure how to know if that's the correct amount.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

> I am curious why people feel the need to maintain liability limits of $5M?

Fear-mongering by lawyers and insurance agents. 1M umbrella is enough unless theres a reckless driver in your household.
mindbet

Post by mindbet »

FOGU wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm I am curious why people feel the need to maintain liability limits of $5M? Is there some special activity in which you are engaged?
  • Swimming pool owner
  • Social host liability

Here's a story:
A few years back, our son asked to host a party for his summer job coworkers. We consented, imagining a dozen or so people sitting and chatting around the pool. We ended up with 40+ people and a ton of alcohol (think jello shots) — four garbage bags of empty containers the next morning.

But nothing happened. Everyone got home safely; no one drowned.

But had something happened, it would have ruined us.
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

mindbet wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 am
FOGU wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm I am curious why people feel the need to maintain liability limits of $5M? Is there some special activity in which you are engaged?
  • Swimming pool owner
  • Social host liability

Here's a story:
A few years back, our son asked to host a party for his summer job coworkers. We consented, imagining a dozen or so people sitting and chatting around the pool. We ended up with 40+ people and a ton of alcohol (think jello shots) — four garbage bags of empty containers the next morning.

But nothing happened. Everyone got home safely; no one drowned.

But had something happened, it would have ruined us.
You don't say if your son's guests were underage for consumption of a ton of alcohol, jello shots and all the rest. "Summer job" indicates they were. If they were underage then indeed you as the facilitator engaged in a highly dangerous and liability-fraught activity on your premises by permitting it. If that is the wont or household custom then liability limits of $5M are probably too low.
mindbet

Post by mindbet »

FOGU wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 am You don't say if your son's guests were underage for consumption of a ton of alcohol, jello shots and all the rest. "Summer job" indicates they were. If they were underage then indeed you as the facilitator engaged in a highly dangerous and liability-fraught activity on your premises by permitting it. If that is the wont or household custom then liability limits of $5M are probably too low.
Our son was of legal age at the time, and we believe his guests were too. They were mostly school teachers working summers at a camp for special needs adults. (But we did not check IDs)

There have been no parties of that type since, nor will there be in the future.
Topic Author
Zetorman

Post by Zetorman »

Our driver ages are 53, 50, 22 (full time college), 17 (highschool). I guess I will just hold out until the youngest turns 18, then shop around. $1200 house+$1200 umbrella+$2650 (3)cars makes me ill and this is with 800+ credit scores and no at-fault claims. Protection from financial devastation is yet another tax on financially responsible people.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

$ 230/year for $ 1 million coverage on the Safeco policy written for Washington state. Two 60 + year old drivers and a $ 600K house.
jmorgans

Post by jmorgans »

Paying Geico $1100 for two adults and a 19 yo au pair. I used to pay around $400 and it skyrocketed when we added the 19 yo and third car. Also NY passed a law disallowing preferential rates based on education which also did not help. I need to shop around but not optimistic.

You could start by seeing if it’s cheaper to raise the liability limit on your auto policy and lower the limit on the umbrella to achieve (mostly) the same coverage.
Plano

Post by Plano »

ChicagoBear7 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 pm Some umbrella policies are straight excess - they only extend the underlying automobile or homeowners liability limits with no additional coverage offered. Other umbrellas offer additional coverage options such as personal tort liability, not-for-profit board/officer coverage, coverage for ATV's, motorcycles, incidental business coverage, home offices or extending uninsured/under insured coverage for you and your passengers.
UM/UIM is the single most important coverage you need under your umbrella policy. I have seen too many cases where the motorist at fault has the state minimum auto insurance coverages ($15K/$30K for bodily injury and $5K property per accident in many states including CA). Insurance gets really expensive after a DUI, so most drunk drivers can only afford the minimum. Same for younger, inexperienced drivers. Unfortunately, these drivers are the ones most likely to hit you. If the injuries are lifelong disabling, damages may well exceed your UM/UIM limits, so you'll need your own umbrella to kick in.

It does not cost much to include UM/UIM in your umbrella. Everyone should have it.

For comparison, we spend less than $500 a year for $2M covering 2 drivers, 2 dogs (rescues, not "dangerous" breeds), backyard pool, UM/UIM, no exclusion for the non-profit boards we serve on as directors, and pretty much every option offered. The only exclusion is professional malpractice, which is entirely separate.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

$350 for $2M, but it reduced the cost of our other coverage by more than $350, so the net was negative. 2 adults, with rental property.

I agree your problem is probably the young drivers.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:34 pm If you title a car in your teenager's name does this not mitigate the issue? Why would an 18+ living away at college need to be covered?
If they're covered under your auto policy they'd be covered under your umbrella as well.

My insurer penalizes drivers on the auto policy only for the first 3 years of driving (so for our kids age 16-19) but the umbrella adds a surcharge for anyone under 25. :(
Buzzhead

Post by Buzzhead »

Dang. I'm paying State Farm $1700 for $3 million with 4 driver's, kids 23,20,13. I'm told it's good coverage.
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

$1M 4 adults. Two classified as "inexperienced drivers" although one of the drivers may now be considered experienced as rate went down from $647 to $461 thru Geico.
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

$ 3M, 1 adult, two vehicles. Quote was $ 285 for annual premium from State Farm which also provides Auto and Homeowners Insurance
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

When we had it, we paid about $96/year for $1 million. $1,200/year for $2 million seems absurdly expensive.

Considering that all of our investments are protected by federal and/or state law from creditors, only a portion of our home equity is exposed. As such, we no longer carry any umbrella insurance. Our homeowner's and auto liability both cover more than the portion of our 'exposed' home equity.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings