What did you do cool with your money today?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
celia

Re: What did you do cool with your money today?

Post by celia »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:16 pm
Gardner's Son wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:55 pm Bought a 15-pack of Milwaukee Best Light for $7.99 > 53 cents/beer. Actually, not bad tasting...
I'll confess, I am not against swilling Old Milwaukee beer. But DW refuses to buy it, preferring other brews. Oh well.

Maybe I'll go through Instacart to buy some.

She also refuses to run thru Krystal Hamburgers.

She is depriving me of so many simple pleasures. Arby's is a no-go, too. :(
Broken Man, Be glad your DW is more lenient than I would be. It's cool that she cares about your health! I am trying to maintain a healthier diet for our household, but it's not easy.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

celia wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:16 pm
Gardner's Son wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:55 pm Bought a 15-pack of Milwaukee Best Light for $7.99 > 53 cents/beer. Actually, not bad tasting...
I'll confess, I am not against swilling Old Milwaukee beer. But DW refuses to buy it, preferring other brews. Oh well.

Maybe I'll go through Instacart to buy some.

She also refuses to run thru Krystal Hamburgers.

She is depriving me of so many simple pleasures. Arby's is a no-go, too. :(
Broken Man, Be glad your DW is more lenient than I would be. It's cool that she cares about your health! I am trying to maintain a healthier diet for our household, but it's not easy.
Not really. She will still go thru Mickey Ds.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Eric76

Post by Eric76 »

Paid for my parents' 50th anniversary party.
misterjohnny

Post by misterjohnny »

Donated to the St. Francis Center in Los Angeles. They do wonderful work caring for the homeless and desperately poor in downtown Los Angeles. Used my DAF because I'm a boglehead.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Today, I paid the first installment for a Czech spa I'll be staying at in summer. The total price for a room, full board (3 meals / day), and 3 procedures / day is 1,200 Euros for 9 days.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
avenger

Post by avenger »

Wrote the check for the second of four installments for a backyard splash pool and landscaping job.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Spent some on groceries and other necessities. Left the rest alone. I think that's pretty cool.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

Meg77 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:59 pm I'm going on a weekend trip to Mexico with my sister in law next month for her 40th birthday. She's having a really rough year - separating, kid issues, job dissatisfaction. They do fine but are far from financially independent (especially now they are splitting up). So I booked a really nice place back in November and made sure it was all inclusive; then I told her she didn't need to reimburse me for her half as a birthday gift from me and my husband (her brother). She was so grateful, and it felt great to be able to give that gift. I don't think she's gone on a nice vacation without her kids since maybe her honeymoon 10 years ago. Today the $2795 prepayment hit my credit card (since the trip is 30 days out), and I don't even have to flinch.
Did this trip ever happen?
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I haven't spent a dime, at least on a cash basis or on credit cards, in ten days.

No gas, no groceries (gonna need to go very soon), no meals out, nada.

I think that's pretty cool!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Once you drop to adjunct beers, there is no sense in pretending it's about the taste. They're not offensive as long as you don't let them get warm. My buddy keeps a full-sized refrigerator in his garage that is at least 80% full of Busch Light. He was prepared for the stay at home order.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Spent >$300 yesterday on driver & passenger inner & outer tie rods a starter, some auto tools, & a repair book for this specific car. Did the tie rods last night. Did the starter today. Did not go like the book said... Minor injuries like I come to expect. During the test drive developed an ignition problem. Literally coasted back home because the car had zero power. Fixed that.

Test drive #2 ... ✓✓✓.

Now just typing while I stare at the battle wounds bruises. I enjoyed every second of it.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Last week, SO and I bought fixin's for baked potatoes. Tonight, he made me a baked potato with sour cream, butter, and cheese as a midnight snack.

Money well spent :)
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I don't mind letting the money set in my bank account.
MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos »

Donated some money to an international student who needed funds to fly back to her home country due to the current COVID-19 situation. It wasn’t much money but it felt good/cool doing it.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Some night trading in my Roth IRA. Bought 300 shares of SPY for $264.58 after-hours . Placed a limit order to sell at $265.58 . The sell executed in just 59 minutes. Been bored and grabbing pennies like this almost every night. But this was the shortest and easiest execution time I had.

Edit: and I did it again, buy at $264.57 and sell at $265.57 . Another sub-hour execution. If this volatility keeps up, those 0.37% pickups are going to add up to something.
Last edited by madbrain on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I feel kind of silly for this, but since we ar not eating out and my parents thoughtfully sent some gourmet food through the mail I thought, hey, what is out there for high end mail order food? I didn’t get very far in my search and bought a decent amount of interesting beef from both Snake River Farms and Holy Grail. Once those items arrive and we do some evaluations, I will probably do a deeper dive into that world beyond just dry aged high end beef. I am curious to see what is out there.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

Meg77 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:59 pm I'm going on a weekend trip to Mexico with my sister in law next month for her 40th birthday. She's having a really rough year - separating, kid issues, job dissatisfaction. They do fine but are far from financially independent (especially now they are splitting up). So I booked a really nice place back in November and made sure it was all inclusive; then I told her she didn't need to reimburse me for her half as a birthday gift from me and my husband (her brother). She was so grateful, and it felt great to be able to give that gift. I don't think she's gone on a nice vacation without her kids since maybe her honeymoon 10 years ago. Today the $2795 prepayment hit my credit card (since the trip is 30 days out), and I don't even have to flinch.
Sometimes the best money we spend is on those we love the most. Sounds like she is having the worst year ever, divorce is awful but during Corona I can’t imagine it gets better. Thanks for sharing!
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Getting ready to brave the virus infested environment at the local Walmart.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Made more donations through Kiva.

https://www.kiva.org/
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
nascar090210

Post by nascar090210 »

Hid more cash.
Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni »

Bought same rum bottles!
(Hampden, Foursquare, Rhum J.M. and Clement)

:sharebeer

Cost around 300 dollars
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Bought a pair of Sonos One SL, on sale for $260 (for the pair). Excellent sound, exceeded expectations. (SL is the same as regular Sonos One, but without voice assistant functionality.)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Royal Blue wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:43 pm I doubled my money... I folded it in half and put it back in my pocket. :D
:sharebeer
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Colorado13 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:11 pm
klondike wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:27 pm Not there yet but my goal is to run a small auto-mechanic shop to fix cars for single moms and deployed service members for free labor and affordable parts. I am a software engineer and love working on cars from basic maintenances all the way to engine rebuild.
Kudos to you.This is really impressive and inspiring.
Indeed very very cool.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

madbrain wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:23 am Some night trading in my Roth IRA. Bought 300 shares of SPY for $264.58 after-hours . Placed a limit order to sell at $265.58 . The sell executed in just 59 minutes. Been bored and grabbing pennies like this almost every night. But this was the shortest and easiest execution time I had.

Edit: and I did it again, buy at $264.57 and sell at $265.57 . Another sub-hour execution. If this volatility keeps up, those 0.37% pickups are going to add up to something.
0.37% pickups X what percent of your assets? Might take a while...
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:47 pm 0.37% pickups X what percent of your assets? Might take a while...
On about 7% of assets.