What did you do cool with your money today?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

What did you do cool with your money today?

Post by TheTimeLord »

We have a frugal thread and an indulgence thread and both of them are fine. But I don't know of a thread for doing something with your money that you think yeah that why I have money, that is just so cool I can do that. It can be something for yourself, your family, a friend or some sort of giving or gift.

So mine was I bought almost every item on an Animal Rescue's Amazon Wishlist and they are being delivered (don't let your imagination run wild, the costs was just in the hundred of dollars). Feel so fortunate to be able to do that. And I did think to myself cool, now that why I keep building my portfolio.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
SquawkIdent

Re: What did you do cool with your money today?

Post by SquawkIdent »

Bought a bottle of Cristal as a gift for someone next month. I hope she likes it but there is a back story to it so drinking it will be an added bonus.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bought a cruise through the Panama Canal.

Check one off the Bucket List.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Pizza for lunch. No pizza for quite a while. Glad I did.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

I bought my PA system, microphone, and microphone stand. I started singing at home. I will probably set up a home recording studio down the road.

KlangFool
WJW

Post by WJW »

Don't know how cool it is but I paid off my car and a business loan today
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm Pizza for lunch. No pizza for quite a while. Glad I did.
Nothing better looking to me than a good cheesy slice of pizza.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

WJW wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:10 pm Don't know how cool it is but I paid off my car and a business loan today
If you think it was cool, it was cool. And personally I think retiring debt is very cool.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

SquawkIdent wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:54 pm Bought a bottle of Cristal as a gift for someone next month. I hope she likes it but there is a back story to it so drinking it will be an added bonus.
Hope all goes to plan.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:56 pm Bought a cruise through the Panama Canal.

That should be very relaxing. I am sure traveling through the locks will be very interesting.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Spent two hours on the phone trying to figure out and resolve why I was triple charged by my new Medicare Part D provider for my coverage in January. They hit my credit card twice and my bank account once.

Actually I am currently still on hold as a supervisor trys to get things unscrambled.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:46 pm We have a frugal thread and an indulgence thread and both of them are fine. But I don't know of a thread for doing something with your money that you think yeah that why I have money, that is just so cool I can do that. It can be something for yourself, your family, a friend or some sort of giving or gift.

So mine was I bought almost every item on an Animal Rescue's Amazon Wishlist and they are being delivered (don't let your imagination run wild, the costs was just in the hundred of dollars). Feel so fortunate to be able to do that. And I did think to myself cool, now that why I keep building my portfolio.
Very very cool. We will be doubling donations to our local animal shelter next month and I can't think of a "funner" use of money.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Not exactly "my" money, but just this morning I gave away the last of the $10k matching grant my former employer allows each employee and retiree (up to an unknown corporate cap) to give to qualified charities.

Now that I'm taking RMDs, I'm able to make significant gifts using the QCD option. I chose to do the QCDs right after the start of the year and submitted the requests as soon as I got the acknowledgement from each charity.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

- I have been making reservations over the past few days for two holidays I've planned this Spring. Both plans sprung into my head two weeks ago, but I don't waste any time planning.

I am taking the first holiday with my spouse, and then traveling onwards for a 2nd holiday with friends. I will be gone 20 days in total. I've booked all flights, now I'm paying for accommodations, trains etc.

-My dad asked me for donations to two charity drives he and his friend run. Just sent it.
Last edited by Unladen_Swallow on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
Unladen_Swallow

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:46 pm So mine was I bought almost every item on an Animal Rescue's Amazon Wishlist and they are being delivered (don't let your imagination run wild, the costs was just in the hundred of dollars). Feel so fortunate to be able to do that. And I did think to myself cool, now that why I keep building my portfolio.
If you work OMY to do this, and it is rewarding, then it is absolutely the right decision for you!

I have escaped my pups today and instead of working in my home office, I am working at a cafe. If I didn't have first world pups, I would have retired 5 years ago. And they don't even clean up.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Unladen_Swallow wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:12 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:46 pm So mine was I bought almost every item on an Animal Rescue's Amazon Wishlist and they are being delivered (don't let your imagination run wild, the costs was just in the hundred of dollars). Feel so fortunate to be able to do that. And I did think to myself cool, now that why I keep building my portfolio.
If you work OMY to do this, and it is rewarding, then it is absolutely the right decision for you!

I have escaped my pups today and instead of working in my home office, I am working at a cafe. If I didn't have first world pups, I would have retired 5 years ago. And they don't even clean up.
I continue to work for a lot of reasons but it is nice that I can take some of what I earn and do something like this occasionally. I know a lot of the volunteers and they work their tails off healing and finding homes for these animals. It is a privilege to provide a little monetary support from time to time.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Not there yet but my goal is to run a small auto-mechanic shop to fix cars for single moms and deployed service members for free labor and affordable parts. I am a software engineer and love working on cars from basic maintenances all the way to engine rebuild.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

klondike wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:27 pm Not there yet but my goal is to run a small auto-mechanic shop to fix cars for single moms and deployed service members for free labor and affordable parts. I am a software engineer and love working on cars from basic maintenances all the way to engine rebuild.
Sweet.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

After two days of sniffles, coughing, and running a temp, I took my toddler to the pediatrician just to be told its a common viral infection he should be over in a couple days, without thinking about the cost. It's not that long ago I would have thought long and hard about that visit and whether it was worth the expense versus waiting another day or two to see if he improved. Now DW and I can stop worrying.

Then I bought an annual pass to the local zoo for my family and my son's nanny.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Not sure if it's cool, but I paid myself today. I redeemed all credit card points for cash back, then combine it with leftover cashflow from mid-month and put it brokerage account.
student

Post by student »

This is not what you asked for but I think it is of the same spirit. Rather than what I did today, it is what I did not do today. I hate clipping coupons. So I don't do it much unless it is an easy electronic coupon.
Royal Blue

Post by Royal Blue »

I doubled my money... I folded it in half and put it back in my pocket. :D
shell921

Post by shell921 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:36 pm
Stinky wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:56 pm Bought a cruise through the Panama Canal.

That should be very relaxing. I am sure traveling through the locks will be very interesting.
I went in Jan 2018 and it was fascinating! Enjoy !
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:10 pm OP,

I bought my PA system, microphone, and microphone stand. I started singing at home. I will probably set up a home recording studio down the road.

KlangFool
Awesome!
Congratulations!
The right “Shure” stage mics will show off your singing chops.
Have fun!
J🏝
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

I'm going on a weekend trip to Mexico with my sister in law next month for her 40th birthday. She's having a really rough year - separating, kid issues, job dissatisfaction. They do fine but are far from financially independent (especially now they are splitting up). So I booked a really nice place back in November and made sure it was all inclusive; then I told her she didn't need to reimburse me for her half as a birthday gift from me and my husband (her brother). She was so grateful, and it felt great to be able to give that gift. I don't think she's gone on a nice vacation without her kids since maybe her honeymoon 10 years ago. Today the $2795 prepayment hit my credit card (since the trip is 30 days out), and I don't even have to flinch.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

klondike wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:27 pm Not there yet but my goal is to run a small auto-mechanic shop to fix cars for single moms and deployed service members for free labor and affordable parts. I am a software engineer and love working on cars from basic maintenances all the way to engine rebuild.
Kudos to you.This is really impressive and inspiring.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Rebalanced my portfolio. It's very cool to have a portfolio that needs rebalancing.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:58 pm

KlangFool
Awesome!
Congratulations!
Have fun!
J🏝
Sandtrap,

Shure 58 is the standard that everyone goes by.

My professional sound engineer friend recommended this one. And, this is the one that I bought.

Sennheiser e 845-S Dynamic Supercardioid Vocal Microphone with On/Off Switch

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... off-switch

KlangFool
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Didn't spend it :)
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

That is a great idea!

I think family members of those deployed would appreciate your services greatly!

Just make sure you are careful to protect yourself, liability-wise.

Sounds like a good way to build your shop, also.

Again, great idea! Doing something you enjoy and helping others is a win-win.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Bought two new computers today, one a desktop and one a laptop, to replace much older ones today that had Windows 7 on them and had been upgraded from Windows XP. Upgraded significantly in terms of processors, memory, and hard drives (solid state). Can't wait to see the difference in speed. :D
Tom D.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I am giving each grandchild a gift card to Target (the ones I purchased for 15% discount using the 10% reduction from Target and 5% more from my Discover card).

They all rocked their report cards, all grades for all were straight As. Smart little monkeys.

They all like Target, so they will love their gift cards.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I bought my wife and I the $1.50 hot dog/drink special at Costco for lunch.

Very good hot dogs.

Ed
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

MP173 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:51 pm I bought my wife and I the $1.50 hot dog/drink special at Costco for lunch.

Very good hot dogs.

Ed
Dottie57 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm Pizza for lunch. No pizza for quite a while. Glad I did.

I had a pizza slice and a Pepsi at Costco today :sharebeer
Unladen_Swallow

KlangFool
:D Awesome!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

Donated some money to a local sports fan that died in a car accident. He left with a windowed wife and 2 kids. The collective efforts raised more than 23K for his family.

KlangFool

P.S.: Never underestimate the generosity of a stranger.
Last edited by KlangFool on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

I spent $3k in much needed driveway upgrades. This includes several loads of fill, millings, and labor. Can't wait to see the smooth (mud-free) finished product.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

KlangFool
Awesome!
Congratulations!
Have fun!
J🏝
Sandtrap,

My professional sound engineer friend recommended this one. And, this is the one that I bought.

KlangFool
Awesome!
You're going to be famous!!!!!
j :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:49 pm
KlangFool wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

KlangFool
Awesome!
Congratulations!
Have fun!
J🏝
Sandtrap,

KlangFool
Awesome!
You're going to be famous!!!!!
j :D :D

Sandtrap,

Fun, yes. Famous, not necessary.

KlangFool
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Installed new Netgear modem/router (bought on Amazon paid partially with the $15 credit I had gotten for buying gift cards last month), took the Xfinity one back to Xfinity store ( 8 months I will recoup the cost by not renting); bought birthday and Valentines cards at Dollar Tree, then purchased half priced fabric at JoAnne's to make curly haired granddaughter a satin pillow case, and used their 40% off coupon for the thread.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Not yet... but "window shopping" a mint condition 2002 car that I also have, just in much better & unused condition. I don't need it, but I'd love to have it & keep it mint/pristine. That's why I work & save.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Got a HotDog with a Pepsi at Costco today :D
celia

Post by celia »

Went to a California native plants class today and received some FREE seeds for plants that attract butterflies. Actually, they weren't free since I paid to enroll in the class. But the class was a prerequisite for another class I'm looking forward to. The seed mix is for the California poppies and chia seeds for sages.

And last night I bought some seed-starting soil mix and a grow-light to help the seeds germinate/ get a better start as I will be starting them indoors.
Last edited by celia on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Just got back from 3 weeks traveling around Peru. Machu Picchu, the Nazca lines, amazing time but still only scratched the surface. The security that the Boglehead approach has given me when it comes to planning for my future financial security has made me feel much better about finally doing all the international travel we've been talking about for years.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I’m currently at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore with my partner. We are nearing the end of a 2.5 week trip to Tokyo, Bali, and Singapore.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
zeal

Post by zeal »

I didn't spend any money on it, but today I found some old spreadsheets on my computer. I made them when I was broke and first learning about money. They're roughly 10 years old and I had made projections out to my age now. I planned to get into residential rental properties even though I have no interest in being a landlord--I simply planned it because I knew people made money there. 10 years later, I have more money than I projected and didn't mess with rental property at all. Pretty cool that I still exceeded my financial goals by just doing things I enjoy.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

Splurged and bought a beautiful red bell pepper for about $2.50. Decided it wasn't worth stopping somewhere else (Aldi, Walmart...) where I probably could have saved $1.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Not sure if this qualifies, but here’s my story. Laying on a lounge chair right now on the world renowned Grand Anse Beach in Grenada watching/listening to the surf roll up on shore and enjoying a wonderful cup of coffee.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Meg, well done.

I’ve been laid up with a cold or flu for the last five days but I managed to book a trip to NYC for May. When we moved to DC and got married it was done on the condition that we periodically visit The City.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

The wifey and I hired a nutritionist last night. She is a bit pricey and is not part of our health insurance.

However, she is a competitive age grouper in longer triathlons and that is what we need help with. Fueling for longer distance events and the training for those events are things we struggle with. Plus I could stand to drop between 20 and 30lbs.

I tried pretty unsuccessfully to cut weight last year. She comes highly recommended.