Professional Networking & Job Search Recommendations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mattyslice

Professional Networking & Job Search Recommendations

Post by mattyslice » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 am

In need of some help/advice on best way to network for next job. Background – Am at the Senior Director level at a semi-large corporation. MBA in Finance with corporate FP&A experience but have been in more of a GM role of one of the divisions for the past 4 years. Full P&L responsibility, HR, internal and external sales, BI/BA team, project managers, and marketing. I can do a VP of FP&A role, VP of Ops role, VP of Sales Ops, and/or a COO at a smaller company. I am on LinkedIn and am a premium member but am limited on time due to current job responsibilities, wife who works as well, younger kids in school and their respective activities. Things at current company are iffy at best due to takeover and to say that integration is not going smoothly would be an understatement.

Good thing is…I am a jack of all trades, can do anything, and have a track record of getting results and driving earnings/change. Bad thing is…I don’t have a niche. Easiest transition is for me to go back into finance but I really like running the company. Have thought about reaching out to small to medium sized PE firms as I have experience working for portfolio companies. I have a couple of recruiters looking but Director/VP jobs are most often not filled externally.

Just looking for advice for people who have been in my shoes and navigated this road before. Much appreciated.

Re: Professional Networking & Job Search Recommendations

Post by 123 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:15 pm

Do you have any connection with any professional associations? They seem to exist for all all niches of business. Many of them seem to exist to primarily connect product/service sellers with potential corporate customers. Do you attend any trade shows or conventions? Even joining some professional organizations on your own dime will get you more recognition, attend an event or two with vacation days to remain down low about it. You may be too isolated in your own company culture. You can do a lot of outside activities without necessarily mentioning or discussing them with your coworkers. Time to mix it up.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
mattyslice

Post by mattyslice » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:54 am

You are correct. I need to join an executive group or FEI or something similar. Appreciate the insights

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:52 am

FENG - Financial executives networking group.

deikel

Post by deikel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm

just some loose thoughts:

- Director level is hired externally, VP and C suite is dependent on the CEO in small and medium size companies, you come and go with the CEO
- if you like smaller start-ups, your background would be ideal to take a company from inventor/product to business/profit - contact some larger Universities around you and their commercial support teams - there might be openings. Its crash and burn type of jobs, but small companies can be fun.
- you need to find a business where a 'bean counter' is acceptable as a VP for operations, marketing or sales, that might not be tech/software/biotech; but then again, those usually need financial knowledge when they grow - so back to CFO for a smaller scale biotech ? VP of sales with a finance background and general manager experience would strike me as odd...well, I guess it depends on the industry.

FWIW, I find LinkedIn utterly useless, membership in the local country club makes more sense. That's where an executive MBA might make sense....to grow connections, not to learn anything....
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

Topic Author
mattyslice

Post by mattyslice » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Thank you!