How much money can I spend on a car?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GrayS26

How much money can I spend on a car?

Post by GrayS26 »

I’m looking at this car that costs about $156,000 before adding options and taxes. I can get a used one for half but the new model is much nicer.

Currently my financial situation is $2.2 MM liquid. Around 17K - 19K a month in income after taxes. Approximately 6 million kept away in a trust that cannot be accessed yet
Archimedes

Re: How much money can I spend on a car?

Post by Archimedes »

Just curious. What type of car are you looking at?
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

A few months ago you wrote that you “need very little - a decent place in a safe neighborhood, decent car like a Honda would do”.
That’s an expensive Honda.

Post by 123 »

What you can spend depends on your monthly expenses, obligations to support yourself and others (now or later), and the amount of any indebtedness.

Do you have a trade-in? What is the expected value of the trade-in?

What types of provisions does the trust have that restrict your access to those assets)?

If your income is W-2 income or self-employment earnings reported on a tax return perhaps such a vehicle is a reasonable purchase. If the income you receive is basically a gift or support received from others (as your earlier posts indicated) acquisition of expensive toys will not improve your situation.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

playtothebeat wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am A few months ago you wrote that you “need very little - a decent place in a safe neighborhood, decent car like a Honda would do”.
NSX perhaps?

OP: you could buy a Bugatti and it wouldn't bankrupt you (especially given the trust). This is a question of value for money, not what you can afford.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If that's an NSX, it's one that fell off the truck.

I'd also be interested in what it is. It's in the range for a lightly optioned Porsche 911 GT-3 with hard negotiating. If that's the car, the reason a used one is much less expensive is because unlike some earlier generation GT-3's, where you'd have to win the lottery to get the chance to buy it for $50k over sticker, these are not at all limited. As many Youtube auto guys talk about, they opened the flood gates on production numbers. So you can now walk into a Porsche dealer and choose from 3 of these in stock.

In any case.....we want to know what it is.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
GrayS26

Post by GrayS26 »

I decided not to for now because the car is very hard to get. It’s a Mercedes SUV.

Also, if we were to not include the 6 million trust since that’s awhile always, would it still be OK to spend that much on the car?

I was thinking about getting a BMW instead which is like $148K
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

You aren’t looking for this, but you asked in a public forum so I’ll say it.

There is no good reason to spend over $100k on a car. I think over $50k is wasteful but I’m doubling that to be diplomatic.

You can help so many desperately sick or poor people in the world with the extra $56k you’re referencing. Give it away. Seriously.

Here’s a highly effective starting suggestion: https://www.givedirectly.org/
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

How about a new Corvette Stingray for $60k? Save yourself a hundred grand.
CaptainSaver

Post by CaptainSaver »

Approximately 6 million kept away in a trust that cannot be accessed yet
I can see why its provider was worried about handing it all over at once...

If you want a more serious answer more details are needed. What is your income and age?

I doubt you are retired and planning on relying on the $2.2 million egg to support you for 30 years, but the answer you get will depend on what you are pulling in per year and what your other expenses are.

Even if you were earning $200,000 per year the car would be a ridiculous expense... Maintenance on it will not be cheap, nor will insurance.

A lot of good can be done with your nest egg and trust and it could provide you with a great life, I just really don't think a $100,000+ car is the path to that great life. I have seen friends and family squander $10 mil + and it is really sad when they are down and out. The simplest way to avoid this will be to constrain your expenditures to 4% max of the principal you have. If you consider the full $8 million to be yours free and clear that 4% equals $320,000. Half of that on a car, how much on housing, taxes, trips, clothes, etc?

On the $2.2 million balance your 4% is $88,000. Unless you have a big income and are investing a substantial portion annualy, do not buy the car.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Duh, great place to come for advice on this kind of thing. Mercifully, it won’t last long before the mods shut it down.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

playtothebeat wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am A few months ago you wrote that you “need very little - a decent place in a safe neighborhood, decent car like a Honda would do”.
Ya, what he said! Just buy it. You've got plenty of money.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

BTW; it's not THAT difficult to spend MORE than that for a car.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

GrayS26 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 am I’m looking at this car that costs about $156,000 before adding options and taxes. I can get a used one for half but the new model is much nicer.

Currently my financial situation is $2.2 MM liquid. Around 17K - 19K a month in income after taxes. Approximately 6 million kept away in a trust that cannot be accessed yet
Are you asking permission or validation?

You have money for a purchase, so make it. Or not.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
deikel

Post by deikel »

OMG, thanks for this post I had a great laugh and it made my evening...these are real problems some people have in life...its amazing.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

So it's a Mercedes G-Wagen. Which was originally designed for off-road and military use, whose purpose now is to separate Hollywood celebrities and poseurs from their money. Have you ridden in one on roads? It's horrid. A Honda Civic is a much more comfortable car. For $156K it's probably the worst car you can possibly buy.

And - if you're cross-shopping a Mercedes G-Wagen with a BMW sports car, it's clear you are just looking for a status symbol (because from any practical or even car enthusiast point of view those cars are as different as two things with four wheels can be). I'd suggest re-examining your life and financial priorities.
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

GrayS26 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm I decided not to for now because the car is very hard to get. It’s a Mercedes SUV.

Also, if we were to not include the 6 million trust since that’s awhile always, would it still be OK to spend that much on the car?

I was thinking about getting a BMW instead which is like $148K
I wouldn't blow that much on a BMW. After my BMW experience, ain't no way I am buying another. Fun to drive, pain to own, Would rather get something with more quality.
ohai

Post by ohai »

02nz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm So it's a Mercedes G-Wagen. Which was originally designed for off-road and military use, whose purpose now is to separate Hollywood celebrities and poseurs from their money. Have you ridden in one on roads? It's horrid. A Honda Civic is a much more comfortable car. For $156K it's probably the worst car you can possibly buy.
The new G Class is much better - more in line with other high end Mercedes SUVs. Although it's probably still not worth the money, one could at least argue that the offroad gear justifies the additional cost.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

GrayS26 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 am I’m looking at this car that costs about $156,000 before adding options and taxes. I can get a used one for half but the new model is much nicer.

My guideline, which seems to hold for a wide range of incomes, is total car value no more than 25% of gross income. This would limit you to $18,000 x 12 x 25% = $54,000. That'll buy a really nice car, but is still about one third of what you're looking to spend. So, fyre4ce says no.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

CaptainSaver wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 pm
Approximately 6 million kept away in a trust that cannot be accessed yet
I can see why its provider was worried about handing it all over at once...
:D
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

02nz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm So it's a Mercedes G-Wagen. Which was originally designed for off-road and military use, whose purpose now is to separate Hollywood celebrities and poseurs from their money. Have you ridden in one on roads? It's horrid. A Honda Civic is a much more comfortable car. For $156K it's probably the worst car you can possibly buy.

And - if you're cross-shopping a Mercedes G-Wagen with a BMW sports car, it's clear you are just looking for a status symbol (because from any practical or even car enthusiast point of view those cars are as different as two things with four wheels can be). I'd suggest re-examining your life and financial priorities.
Well-put.
sambb

Post by sambb »

yes you can afford this status symbol. however, you might have buyers remorse after 3-6 months. youll love it for awhiule though.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

sambb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:28 pm yes you can afford this status symbol. however, you might have buyers remorse after 3-6 months. youll love it for awhiule though.
Agree. The G-Wagon is not a daily driver, more like a weekend car.

OP should buy a Lexus LS if you want luxury, power, and reliability. But OP probably looks down on Lexus LS.
junior

Post by junior »

William Bernstein would say (If I remember an interview correctly) this expensive car is an intelligence test and if you buy it you failed.
sambb

Post by sambb »

i bet you are in your 30s. its what happens. its a personal test. good luck. remember that if you buy 1-2 years old, and get remorse, you wont lose as much.
Goldwater85

Post by Goldwater85 »

Reasonably optioned out G Wagen is a cool vehicle.

Based on wages and liquid net worth, buy used. If you also have a $6 million trust, hell with it.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ohai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:09 pm
The new G Class is much better - more in line with other high end Mercedes SUVs. Although it's probably still not worth the money, one could at least argue that the offroad gear justifies the additional cost.
The OP is now looking at a $150K BMW. The only BMWs are that price are sports cars and the Alpina 7 Series. So it seems OP has no real use for off-roading.
bltn

Post by bltn »

150,000 before taxes fees, and options with 2.2 million saved. About 8% of your savings into a depreciating asset. Plus insurance and maintenance costs.
Doesn't t sound like a good idea, regardless of the future trust.
You ve done a good job with your accumulation so far. But if you want to accumulate some real money , you shouldn t get a car like that now. A 50-60,000 dollar BMW will be plenty of fun to drive and be a status symbol too. Don t let the trust sway you until you get it in hand.. And maybe not then.
WildCat48

Post by WildCat48 »

Waste of money, just buy a honda or toyota.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

02nz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:04 pm
ohai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:09 pm
The OP is now looking at a $150K BMW. The only BMWs are that price are sports cars and the Alpina 7 Series. So it seems OP has no real use for off-roading.
Probably he’s looking at the M850. Starts at about $140k. I would have thought Porsche GT3 might have suited his desire for status better. I guess a little more expensive? Used California would also fit the bill?

Of course it’s a waste of money. In my view he would need a lot more than $6-8million to truly be able to “afford” cars like this.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

This might sound harsher than I intend, but the OP will be used as evidence in my discussions with my wife about setting up trusts for the kids.

OP, you don’t make enough for the cars. You can’t afford it without the trust (I mean technically you can, but realistically it would be irresponsible without the trust).

Thank you for posting. Food for thought for wife and me. Would you be willing to give details about yourself and the trust? Nothing identifying of course, but approx age, occupation, when trust was established, when you will receive trust, etc.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
feh

Post by feh »

SQRT wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:33 am Of course it’s a waste of money.
+1000
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

mbasherp wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm You aren’t looking for this, but you asked in a public forum so I’ll say it.

There is no good reason to spend over $100k on a car. I think over $50k is wasteful but I’m doubling that to be diplomatic.

You can help so many desperately sick or poor people in the world with the extra $56k you’re referencing. Give it away. Seriously.

Here’s a highly effective starting suggestion: https://www.givedirectly.org/
I'm liking this idea. Plus, how will you feel when you get the first ding?

I have never lived in a city that would allow you to really enjoy a $156k car.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

WildCat48 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 pm Waste of money, just buy a honda or toyota.

You can get a nice performance/luxury car for $50k...
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I think I can help here. It's clear from the choices presented that the OP is absolutely NOT a car guy. The first choice was a G Wagon. The recently updated (in 1972) work truck from Germany. There IS a way to get a newer, updated version with no problems finding. Go to your local Jeep dealer and buy your choice of Wrangler Unlimited Saharas with a painted roof option. You then need to cover the spare tire with a paint matched hard tire cover with chrome tie down. This newest version "JLU" Wrangler does not even have a hood badge saying Jeep. The side badges are stickers that easily come off. If you want those around you to believe it's a G Wagon, simply have the shop painting the cover to put a silver 3 pointed star in the middle. There you have it. Better technology than a G, much cheaper cost, better AWD (the Sahara actually does have an AWD setting along with its locked options). You can even order exactly what you want from any dealer and it'll come in about 2 1/2 months. And the best part....you'll have about a hundred grand to spare. It will drive and handle just as badly as a G Wagon too, so you get that same experience.

In case you're wondering...yes, I am serious.

(I own a Wrangler Unlimited)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

If your income is $218K/yr, then I would try to keep auto costs under 5% or $11k/Yr. We can round up to $1000/month. If we set aside $200/mo for insurance, that leaves $800/mo for a lease. That would get you a decent new Lexus GS or BMW 3 series.

If you can't access your trust, the amount in it is not relevant.
SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist »

chrisjul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:16 pm
WildCat48 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 pm Waste of money, just buy a honda or toyota.

You can get a nice performance/luxury car for $50k...
Hell you can pick up a 2017 off lease M2 with less than 30k miles for under 45k OTD currently and that car is pretty much the ultimate sports car until you get to a 718 gt4 at 3x the price. You let the previous owner eat the depreciation on a 54% residual over 30 month leases BMW was offering for the 2017s on top of the 5k over MSRP people were paying for them.

The N55 is solid as a rock in that car, the entire F generation 2 and 3 series of BMWs are rock solid really. (Queue all the people who don't understand the difference between maintenance and repair complaining about how the car is unreliable and costly because tires and brakes are expensive)
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

If you're thinking of spending that much on a car, how do the rest of your day to day expenses compare?

What's it for, personal satisfaction, racing club, picking up women?
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:23 pm I think I can help here. It's clear from the choices presented that the OP is absolutely NOT a car guy. The first choice was a G Wagon. The recently updated (in 1972) work truck from Germany. There IS a way to get a newer, updated version with no problems finding. Go to your local Jeep dealer and buy your choice of Wrangler Unlimited Saharas with a painted roof option. You then need to cover the spare tire with a paint matched hard tire cover with chrome tie down. This newest version "JLU" Wrangler does not even have a hood badge saying Jeep. The side badges are stickers that easily come off. If you want those around you to believe it's a G Wagon, simply have the shop painting the cover to put a silver 3 pointed star in the middle. There you have it. Better technology than a G, much cheaper cost, better AWD (the Sahara actually does have an AWD setting along with its locked options). You can even order exactly what you want from any dealer and it'll come in about 2 1/2 months. And the best part....you'll have about a hundred grand to spare. It will drive and handle just as badly as a G Wagon too, so you get that same experience.

In case you're wondering...yes, I am serious.

(I own a Wrangler Unlimited)
Not true anymore. Mercedes redesigned the G-wagen in 2018, and it is now a modern platform. But I agree that they are silly waste of money. They don't do anything you couldn't just do with a Jeep Wrangler. I agree that the G-wagen is a car you buy to show off how much money you have, not because you love cars.

I can see spending $150k on a car as a die-hard car guy, but only on a vehicle you absolutely pine for and you will keep for a long time. Someone like that can enjoy the car independently of any other material possessions.

But the sense I get is that OP doesn't love cars, they just want something nice. If you just want something nice, $150k is a waste of money. Of course, given your net worth, you can get away with wasting some money. But you run the risk of "give a mouse a cookie" problem. With your brand new G-wagen, you are going to want a baller mansion to go with it ($2 million). Then you are going to need to pay taxes, upkeep, buy furniture, etc. Pretty soon you've lost financial independence. Even without other purchases, new luxury cars don't stay fresh for very long. In 3 years, it will have lost half its value and it will no longer be the new hotness. You can trap yourself in a wealth draining cycle of fancy cars if you aren't careful.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

991 GT3, CPO

Have them throw in a Cayenne.

Done.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Yes, you can afford it. You can also afford two.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

You can afford up to one million dollars on a car. You'd better buy two just to be safe.
Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich »

Two thoughts:

1. When I was younger I wanted a nice car desperately. I thought that it would bring me attention and happiness. When I got one (in my 20s), I could feel that it actually put distance between myself and others. People treated me differently and I was slightly embarrassed by it. I am much happier now without that pretension as I drive a more normal family car. I don't have to worry if my car is making others feel a bit worse about themselves.

2. Also, when I had the nice car, I was extremely worried about damaging it. It would give me anxiety to park it in parking lots where it might get dinged, etc. There is a poem, 'The Cup is Already Broken' where it suggests that it's good to see things in their final form, and accept that material possessions always get ruined, eventually. I began trying to see cars as the crushed cubes of metal that they all end up as, no matter how much money was spent on them. I ended up selling the car and buying the cheapest used/safe/comfortable one I could. I have no trouble enjoying my average car and I'd never go back to owning a very nice one.

Anyway, you can buy the Mercedes SUV if you want, but you may start to feel what I felt. Oh, and they depreciate at ~10% per year, so...
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

phxjcc wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm 991 GT3, CPO

Have them throw in a Cayenne.

Done.
+1. That’s what a car guy would do.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 am This might sound harsher than I intend, but the OP will be used as evidence in my discussions with my wife about setting up trusts for the kids.

OP, you don’t make enough for the cars. You can’t afford it without the trust (I mean technically you can, but realistically it would be irresponsible without the trust).

Thank you for posting. Food for thought for wife and me. Would you be willing to give details about yourself and the trust? Nothing identifying of course, but approx age, occupation, when trust was established, when you will receive trust, etc.
Excellent post, and productive discussion could follow from a reply.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I personally spend 90% of my money on fast cars and fast women. The other 10% I waste. :sharebeer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Pinotage wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:58 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 am This might sound harsher than I intend, but the OP will be used as evidence in my discussions with my wife about setting up trusts for the kids.

Excellent post, and productive discussion could follow from a reply.
OP makes similar posts, one every few months or so. Everybody should read OP's post history before responding...both so they can get a better understanding of the situation (which I would suspect is a troll), and for entertainment value.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

Gort wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:44 pm I personally spend 90% of my money on fast cars and fast women. The other 10% I waste. :sharebeer
Costs matter.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Ed_Sandwich wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm Two thoughts:

1. When I was younger I wanted a nice car desperately. I thought that it would bring me attention and happiness. When I got one (in my 20s), I could feel that it actually put distance between myself and others. People treated me differently and I was slightly embarrassed by it. I am much happier now without that pretension as I drive a more normal family car. I don't have to worry if my car is making others feel a bit worse about themselves.

2. Also, when I had the nice car, I was extremely worried about damaging it. It would give me anxiety to park it in parking lots where it might get dinged, etc. There is a poem, 'The Cup is Already Broken' where it suggests that it's good to see things in their final form, and accept that material possessions always get ruined, eventually. I began trying to see cars as the crushed cubes of metal that they all end up as, no matter how much money was spent on them. I ended up selling the car and buying the cheapest used/safe/comfortable one I could. I have no trouble enjoying my average car and I'd never go back to owning a very nice one.

Anyway, you can buy the Mercedes SUV if you want, but you may start to feel what I felt. Oh, and they depreciate at ~10% per year, so...
As I was reading this thread I was starting to compose something very similar in my head, and then I came upon your post

I could theoretically buy a Bugatti Veyron I suppose

My kids all want me to buy a Porsche SUV or something

I ask them - WHY? So I can drive 45mph in a 35mph zone around town like I do now? I know, I know, for men especially there is the toy factor and let's be honest, the subconscious desire we all felt at age 15 to have a car where we could cruise and pick up chicks. So yeah now that I am married with kids, I guess I could cruise for chicks in my G-Wagen but really whaaaattt?

And I totally agree re: NEGATIVE interactions with other people. I asked my son, what do you think our friends will think if I start rolling around town in a Ferrari? They will probably call me a dips^it as soon as I walk away. And yes there is the stress of owning a DEPRECIATING PIECE OF METAL that is still just as subject to highway rocks or birdpoop or tree sap and has huge depreciation expense and maintenance costs.

Just because you CAN buy something doesn't always mean you SHOULD. Should I buy a 20 room mansion just because I can? No, not me. I am addicted to making more money off my money, and continuing to grow my security blanket. Maybe if I have $20mm or $50mm or something later in life then I can drop $150K on a Porsche just for fun, but not sure my personality will ever let me actually do it......
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

Reading OPs past posts make this borderline unbelievable. Troll alarms are sounding.

Not to mention - If I’m spending $150k on a car, I’m coming home with a Porsche 911 GT3 or a comparable Ferrari. Mercedes... :confused BMW... :oops:
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!